collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RBG Dead at 87  (Read 8480 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: RBG Dead at 87
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 07:57:18 PM »
Neal Katyal is very level headed.

Also besides expanding Supreme Court from 9 to 11, Democrats could also expand lower federal courts by 70-100 new judgeships etc....if Republicans tried to rush someone for Supreme Court. They have options.

Meanwhile, here is NY Times on RBG:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/us/ruth-bader-ginsburg-dead.html#click=https://t.co/lthk3uLebO

I was just reading Neal Katyal before coming here. 
I'm convinced the Senate is going Dem.  If the Repubs push through someone it will give conver to expanding courts and the Dems will make sure they do.  It would be a terrible backfire pushing one through.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 07:57:21 PM »
https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1307112644705497088?s=19
Graham will immediately fold. I have no idea what Trump showed him that first time they played golf, but my god whatever it was was incredibly effective.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2020, 08:00:20 PM »
I'm convinced the Senate is going Dem.  If the Repubs push through someone it will give conver to expanding courts and the Dems will make sure they do.  It would be a terrible backfire pushing one through.
Wish I could agree, but IMO most Americans will think pushing through a replacement is normal and probably aren't even faintly aware of McConnell's pretty boy move in 2016. Packing the courts with additional justices is something new and will stir greater backfire.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2020, 08:04:07 PM »
An American legend and hero. Among the best of the best. She will be gravely missed.

I'm not a lawyer, but I work with them on a daily basis and spend a lot of my working hours trying to make sense of and interpret judicial rulings. I enjoy reading a well crafted opinion and have gone so far as to start reading them on my own time for fun/development. I have an appreciation for snark in all its forms and legal snark is the best kind of snark. None were better at this then the Queen of Dissent.

RIP.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2020, 08:05:14 PM »

Thought she should have retired in 2015 considering her health issues.

For the left, this.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2020, 08:13:37 PM »
Maybe he is, but I disagree with his analysis. Exactly what "devastating consequences" will Trump face by filling the seat?

I've already seen a lot of this tonight:

https://twitter.com/EdMarkey/status/1307122232850870274?s=19

https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1307132740467396608?s=19
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 09:02:15 PM by shoothoops »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2020, 08:15:21 PM »
Mcconnell just said a nominee will receive a vote.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2020, 08:16:51 PM »
Graham and Collins are in tight Senate races.

If they decide not to vote for a SCOTUS nominee, they will lose XX% of their GOP base and guarantee their loss.

If it were to be delayed, it'd have to be in a way that didn't pin it on specific Senators.    That's a pipe dream.    It's going to happen.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2020, 08:16:52 PM »
Sure.

A great American has died.

Wonderful time for snarky comments.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2020, 08:23:30 PM »
Graham will immediately fold. I have no idea what Trump showed him that first time they played golf, but my god whatever it was was incredibly effective.

"we will out your homosexuality"

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2020, 10:05:31 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 10:41:44 PM by buckchuckler »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2020, 10:09:27 PM »
Senate is controlled by the republicans.

#donedeal 6-3

Character revealed.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2020, 10:25:42 PM »
Character revealed.

Same guy who posts Islamophobic chain letters on a public message board, so are ya really surprised?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2020, 10:30:59 PM »
Sure.
Agreed Lenny. I laughed out loud when I read that. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2020, 10:43:46 PM »

Katyal said tonight that one of the consequences of playing games with the court 2016/2020 could be expanding Supreme Court to 17.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2020, 10:46:04 PM »

A great American has died.

Wonderful time for snarky comments.

It’s what she was known for, too. Supreme Court decisions aren’t theater. They’re the most important arbiter of the law that we have. And if RBG can be known for prideful snark amidst clever commentary while dissenting in Supreme Court decisions, it isn’t disrespectful to respond in kind now.

The best thing that can be taken away from RBG is that she will remain a crucial influence for some of the most important women people that will shape the second half of this century. More prescient to the immediate moment is that in her later years, she lost sight of how, when you hold a lifetime position, when to walk away is the most important part of living up to and safeguarding the principles you profess to hold most dear.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2020, 11:44:01 PM »
Katyal said tonight that one of the consequences of playing games with the court 2016/2020 could be expanding Supreme Court to 17.

With all due respect to Katyal, who is a great mind, the Dems have not shown an ability to back up their threats in my lifetime (and I'm young, so surely before too). Maybe this is a galvanizing moment, but I just don't see it coming to fruition in under the current leadership.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2020, 04:15:05 AM »
Character revealed.

Just the facts Ma'am, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2020, 07:09:31 AM »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:14:40 AM by naginiF »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2020, 07:11:54 AM »
With all due respect to Katyal, who is a great mind, the Dems have not shown an ability to back up their threats in my lifetime (and I'm young, so surely before too). Maybe this is a galvanizing moment, but I just don't see it coming to fruition in under the current leadership.

I don't disagree with that. But I do believe it may be different this time for them.

There's a difference in the sense many apolitical types have had enough of some people and some things over the years, and have been pulled into the fray. But I understand and I can't disagree with your point.

I can say the news is motivating voters. The "Get Mitch or die trying" Senate fund raised over $10 million in just a few hours from over 100,000 donors. The money goes to roughly a dozen close Senate races. Maine voters disapproved of Susan Collins Supreme Court Kavanaugh vote 55-38 percent. (Siena poll) She is down big in the polls for November. There are also various other ways of consequences.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:22:20 AM by shoothoops »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2020, 07:26:56 AM »
As a friend of mine said yesterday, the party who preached about the danger of situational ethics a couple decades ago, is going to (again) pretty much engage in obvious situational ethics in the coming weeks.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2020, 07:33:13 AM »
I don't disagree with that. But I do believe it may be different this time for them.

There's a difference in the sense many apolitical types have had enough of some people and some things over the years, and have been pulled into the fray. But I understand and I can't disagree with your point.
My thoughts exactly. If the Dems gain the power would they act in any way remotely close to that of McConnell? No (and I can already hear the clearly flawed argument that Mitch is only acting as a result of increased EO's under Obama) but I do think they'll be less respectful of the process than they have in the recent past because they realize they represent the majority of US citizens. Will it be supreme courts seats, HB1, DC statehood, ending the filibuster, other court changes? I don't know but I know that some Dems will view lack of success on anything short of the full list as failure, and R's will view any one of these as the worst affront to the constitution  and 'christian' values this country has seen - neither one will be right.

Addition: Jason Kander, and his pod mate whose name I can't remember, had a pretty good initial reaction last night on their Majority 54 podcast. Only 20 minutes.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:41:41 AM by naginiF »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2020, 07:39:49 AM »
Another interesting thing is 4 of 5 Conservative Supreme Court Justices were nominated by Presidents who did not win the popular vote.

Many things are in play if games are played with the Court:

Filibuster
Expand Supreme Court
Expand lower federal court judgeships
Expand number of states
Abolish The Electoral College
Number of Senators per State

to name a few.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2020, 07:41:59 AM »
"we will out your homosexuality"
That is the common thought, but it has been the rumor for so long and pretty much already assumed to be true by so many that just confirming it wouldn't seem to me to be a big deal. I mean, I know it is South Carolina, but they already elected an African-American Senator, would confirming that Graham is gay really be a big deal? He is inoculated just be having the R after his name.

It seems to be it has to be something bigger, perhaps something that would not just embarrass him, but land him in legal trouble, to explain the magnitude of the about face from rightfully calling Trump deranged and unfit in 2016 to now being his number 1 lickspittle.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2020, 08:09:07 AM »
Another interesting thing is 4 of 5 Conservative Supreme Court Justices were nominated by Presidents who did not win the popular vote.

Many things are in play if games are played with the Court:

Filibuster
Expand Supreme Court
Expand lower federal court judgeships
Expand number of states
Abolish The Electoral College
Number of Senators per State

to name a few.

A several of these pipe dreams would require amendments, so not going to happen (electoral college, #of senators. )

feedback