[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RBG Dead at 87  (Read 8567 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: RBG Dead at 87
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2020, 08:20:10 AM »
While I have a lot of thoughts on this issue and what the fallout will be, this isn't the forum for that, so I'll keep it simple.

RBG was an absolute icon, a hero, a role model. She was a fierce advocate for the rights of all Americans. One of the toughest human beings of our generation. I can't imagine having to fight through even 10% of what she had to in her life and career, and she did it with honor and grace. Her death is a great loss, but her impact will reverberate through our society for a long time to come. A very sad day for this nation.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2020, 08:38:37 AM »
An American legend and hero. Among the best of the best. She will be gravely missed.

I'm not a lawyer, but I work with them on a daily basis and spend a lot of my working hours trying to make sense of and interpret judicial rulings. I enjoy reading a well crafted opinion and have gone so far as to start reading them on my own time for fun/development. I have an appreciation for snark in all its forms and legal snark is the best kind of snark. None were better at this then the Queen of Dissent.

RIP.

I'll raise you one Scalia (the King of Dissent) and RGB would probably agree as they were great friends.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 11:08:50 AM by muwarrior69 »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2020, 11:19:51 AM »
I'll raise you one Scalia (the King of Dissent) and RGB would probably agree as they were great friends.
The very definition of Strange Bedfellows
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2020, 11:30:16 AM »
Graham and Collins are in tight Senate races.

If they decide not to vote for a SCOTUS nominee, they will lose XX% of their GOP base and guarantee their loss.

If it were to be delayed, it'd have to be in a way that didn't pin it on specific Senators.    That's a pipe dream.    It's going to happen.

I could see Trump putting out a nominee. The Senate could say were going to vet that nominee and that is at far as it goes. If Senators are asked if they support his choice they cal always say yes I like his pick but will see as we are still in the process of vetting the candidate. So no Republican in a contested race is on the record of voting for or against.

Now Trump can pound Biden asking him to choose who he would put on the court and as the Democrats have cried let the voters decide whose pick they would choose.

I have no idea what is going to happen and though I'm not a Biden voter I do believe we the people should decide and not have partisans decide for us. You could bet if the shoe were on the other foot Democrats would do whatever it took to get their pick through the Senate.

Interesting times we live in.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2020, 11:31:37 AM »
The very definition of Strange Bedfellows

...or opposites (minds) attract.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2020, 12:35:12 PM »
I have no idea what is going to happen and though I'm not a Biden voter I do believe we the people should decide and not have partisans decide for us. You could bet if the shoe were on the other foot Democrats would do whatever it took to get their pick through the Senate.
I really don't think it would be a contested issue if McConnell hadn't come up with a new theory to deny Merrick Garland.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2020, 12:58:26 PM »
...or opposites (minds) attract.

Or that people can be friends despite political differences. Too many let politics define themselves.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2020, 01:48:11 PM »
Or that people can be friends despite political differences. Too many let politics define themselves.

+ a billion.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2020, 02:38:01 PM »
That is the common thought, but it has been the rumor for so long and pretty much already assumed to be true by so many that just confirming it wouldn't seem to me to be a big deal. I mean, I know it is South Carolina, but they already elected an African-American Senator, would confirming that Graham is gay really be a big deal? He is inoculated just be having the R after his name.

It seems to be it has to be something bigger, perhaps something that would not just embarrass him, but land him in legal trouble, to explain the magnitude of the about face from rightfully calling Trump deranged and unfit in 2016 to now being his number 1 lickspittle.

I'm gay. You are viewing it from the lens of other people, not Lindsey. He has based his entire life, personality, & brain processes around being in the closet. This generally eats children alive by the time they're finished with high school, & they come out. Now multiply that by decades. It is hardened into his brain like granite & the brain will do anything it can to protect itself.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2020, 03:26:38 PM »
A true boss. RIP
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2020, 04:02:46 PM »
Graham will immediately fold. I have no idea what Trump showed him that first time they played golf, but my god whatever it was was incredibly effective.
Ayup. Record folding speed. No honor, no integrity.

"Sen. Lindsey Graham, who said in 2016 to “use my words against me” if he were to advocate the nomination of a Supreme Court justice in any President’s final year of their term, feels very differently in 2020.

Following the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Friday, Graham retweeted President Trump’s comment that the GOP has an “obligation, without delay” to appoint a new justice to the Supreme Court, adding that, “I fully understand where President @realDonaldTrump is coming from.”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »
+ a billion.

Agreed. I have friends with whom I have vast differences of opinion on things like guns, race relations and such. That doesn’t make them any less friends. It just means we are better off not talking about those subjects unless we are prepared for it to get heated.

shoothoops

• All American
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 04:49:44 PM by shoothoops »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2020, 06:30:44 PM »

you're on a roll sully!  i wish we could have the day back when people need not be afraid of who they support
don't...don't don't don't don't

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2020, 06:52:20 PM »
There aren’t many afraid of who they support.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2020, 07:06:57 PM »
Agreed. I have friends with whom I have vast differences of opinion on things like guns, race relations and such. That doesn’t make them any less friends. It just means we are better off not talking about those subjects unless we are prepared for it to get heated.

Maybe I lucky (or just old) but I can still talk policy re pretty much everything with at least my longtime friends. We trust each other enough to know that we all want a better world even if we don’t agree on the best path to get there.

Among other things, gerrymandering, the Internet, cable news and the 24 hour news cycle have conspired to make us less civil to one another. Wish I had a solution.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2020, 07:35:58 PM »
Maybe I lucky (or just old) but I can still talk policy re pretty much everything with at least my longtime friends. We trust each other enough to know that we all want a better world even if we don’t agree on the best path to get there.

Among other things, gerrymandering, the Internet, cable news and the 24 hour news cycle have conspired to make us less civil to one another. Wish I had a solution.

You can be a conservative without supporting Trump.  Simple.

I have no problem with conservative values.  But maybe we can stop pretending that Trump holds conservative values.  He's a despicable human being masquerading as a conservative, and I feel like a lot of people aren't being honest about their support for him.  If a lot of people would just come out and say that it's about judges, then I can come to terms with the support of Trump.  But as a person, he is a ghoul.  I can openly say I don't like Hillary and held my nose when I voted for her in '16.  But why can't conservatives simply admit that they did the same with Trump?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2020, 07:38:49 PM »
There aren’t many afraid of who they support.

there may not be "many", but not many is still too many

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2020, 07:52:35 PM »
  there may not be "many", but not many is still too many

OK yeah...  I know this is a new conservative mantra but whatever...

It's amazing that the group that used to preach against both being a victim and situational ethics has completely changed their tune on both.

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2020, 08:01:55 PM »
Oh and rule of man versus rule of law. That too.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2020, 10:11:43 PM »
You can be a conservative without supporting Trump.  Simple.

I have no problem with conservative values.  But maybe we can stop pretending that Trump holds conservative values.  He's a despicable human being masquerading as a conservative, and I feel like a lot of people aren't being honest about their support for him.  If a lot of people would just come out and say that it's about judges, then I can come to terms with the support of Trump.  But as a person, he is a ghoul.  I can openly say I don't like Hillary and held my nose when I voted for her in '16.  But why can't conservatives simply admit that they did the same with Trump?

?

Hards

I know a LOT of Conservatives. A few hated Trump and voted for Hillary. More who didn’t vote for Hillary are now supporting Biden. Still more (I’m in this group) left their presidential ballot blank and will do the same this year. Many held their noses and voted for Trump based on policy promises. They’ll do the same this year after 4 years of watching what he’s actually done (jobs, China, new trade agreements with Mexico and Canada, prison reform, no new wars, Judges, etc.,). But they still can’t stand the guy personally. I can count on less than one hand conservative friends/acquaintances who actually like the guy, and even they concede that some of the stuff he pulls (and tweets) is  out of bounds.

From my experience I just don’t understand your post.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2020, 10:36:30 PM »
OK yeah...  I know this is a new conservative mantra but whatever...

It's amazing that the group that used to preach against both being a victim and situational ethics has completely changed their tune on both.

speaking of assumptive generalizations, i bring you the sultan

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2020, 11:19:24 PM »
Will wade vs roe be overturned now?

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2020, 12:37:28 AM »
It’s Roe v Wade.
The women who came  after the Boomers have grown up with  it and have not realized it could be in jeopardy until recently. O

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2020, 07:17:03 AM »
Will wade vs roe be overturned now?

eyes have been opened and opinions have changed with the more recent radical shift toward allowing abortion right up to the moment of birth and pp being a center for women's health needs.  it's no wonder the real story of margaret sanger isn't widely told or taught.  that would really hurt their cause.  especially with one group of people