collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vitamin D and COVID. Just take it.  (Read 6496 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Vitamin D and COVID. Just take it.
« on: September 14, 2020, 08:14:18 AM »
It's been brought up multiple times here .. various studies that suggest there's a large correlation with Vitamin D deficiency and COVID sickness.

I'm an occasional viewer of Dr. John Campbell who puts out COVID videos every day .. he's been beating the Vitamin D drum for months now, and has another video today ..

Today's vid describes two studies that not only indicate that if you catch COVID, ICU visits are 77% higher in D-deficient people .. but also, that upon arrival, a study testing the same protocol with, and without Vitamin D (actually called Calcifediol, processed VitD) .. found those treated without VitD go into the ICU at 5x rate of those given the VitD treatment.

Since VitD is preposterously cheap, it boggles the mind that there isn't a massive information campaign on pushing its usage. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Ks9fUh2k8

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Vitamin D and COVID. Just take it.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 09:12:33 AM »
It's been brought up multiple times here .. various studies that suggest there's a large correlation with Vitamin D deficiency and COVID sickness.

I'm an occasional viewer of Dr. John Campbell who puts out COVID videos every day .. he's been beating the Vitamin D drum for months now, and has another video today ..

Today's vid describes two studies that not only indicate that if you catch COVID, ICU visits are 77% higher in D-deficient people .. but also, that upon arrival, a study testing the same protocol with, and without Vitamin D (actually called Calcifediol, processed VitD) .. found those treated without VitD go into the ICU at 5x rate of those given the VitD treatment.

Since VitD is preposterously cheap, it boggles the mind that there isn't a massive information campaign on pushing its usage. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Ks9fUh2k8

I have seen many similar articles, and suspect there is something to it. But before just jumping on the vitamin D supplement bandwagon, consider how much you already have in your diet (milk is usually fortified with vitamin D) and in any multivitamin supplements. Also consider how much time you spend outside, because sunlight promotes synthesis of vitamin D in your body.

Also note that it is possible to overdose on vitamin D because it is fat soluble, so it isn't as easily excreted in the urine as vitamins B complex and C. Per the Mayo Clinic, the primary cause of vitamin D overdose is not excess in foods or sunlight...it's high-dose supplements.

As for me, I drink A LOT of Vitamin D fortified milk, plus take a daily multivitamin that has 250%, plus spend at least a couple of hours a day outside. IMHO, that's probably more than enough.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 11:59:05 AM »
As for me, I drink A LOT of Vitamin D fortified milk, plus take a daily multivitamin that has 250%, plus spend at least a couple of hours a day outside. IMHO, that's probably more than enough.

I don't doubt the Vit D correlation - but generally agree.  *Most* hospitalized patients are probably older, don't get out in the sun as much, or are generally overweight / unhealthy.  I know there are plenty of stories of healthy people ending up in the hospital too - hence why I'm trying to avoid Covid like the Plague (first time I've used that phrase and meant it literally...hah). 

Nonetheless, eat well, get outside & exercise and you're probably 70% less likely to end up in the hospital due to covid too.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 12:44:14 PM »
Have been.   Fingers crossed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 12:46:18 PM »
I know there are plenty of stories of healthy people ending up in the hospital too - hence why I'm trying to avoid Covid like the Plague (first time I've used that phrase and meant it literally...hah). 

I actually wouldn't mind the plague instead -- they have drugs for that now.

I agree with you Rocky - too much unknown.  No one lives a risk free life, but there are things now that I ask "do I really need to do X?"

More often than not have opted against when asking myself that question.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 01:12:01 PM »
I’ve dealt with low Vitamin D levels for years. I take supplements, and literally got it back up to normal level for the first time in years in February!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 01:44:41 PM »
I don't doubt the Vit D correlation - but generally agree.  *Most* hospitalized patients are probably older, don't get out in the sun as much, or are generally overweight / unhealthy.  I know there are plenty of stories of healthy people ending up in the hospital too - hence why I'm trying to avoid Covid like the Plague (first time I've used that phrase and meant it literally...hah). 

Nonetheless, eat well, get outside & exercise and you're probably 70% less likely to end up in the hospital due to covid too.

Totally with you there. I live a healthy lifestyle, and mask up anytime I get near anyone outside my household, and limit exposures to the minimum necessary. Anything to avoid this nasty thing. It causes too many bad things we know, and so many more that we suspect...

#notjusttheflu

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 02:24:34 PM »
Dr. Orin Scrivello.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 09:22:42 AM »
https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/09/17/vitamin-d-can-help-reduce-coronavirus-risk-by-54-boston-university-doctor/?fbclid=IwAR28pXY1UxPq-BMj3PmrPY9s2WHvdNdhnIJS2R9Vcy3EjFkl-yJsfIJUfbs

More stuff on Vitamin D.

As mentioned earlier, I completely believe vitamin D can help prevent Covid and other infections, as it is a known immune system stimulant. But it's troubling when you read about a doctor who says this:

But the sunshine vitamin is easy to find and relatively cheap in drug stores, and taking vitamin D pills comes at no risk. “It’s perfectly safe,” Holick said.

In truth, there is such a thing as vitamin D toxicity, which leads to increased calcium levels and occasionally bone and kidney problems. It is relatively rare and requires long-term supplementation at doses much higher than mentioned in the article (often 60,000 IU/day). Still, a responsible advocate (a physician, no less) would have mentioned the risk of high-dose supplements.

Regarding the specific doses mentioned in the article (the doctor takes 6,000 IU/day), vitamin D does seem to be very safe even though it is far above the RDA of 600 IU/day. Personally, I have rethought my previous statement above. I mentioned that my multivitamin contains about 2,000 IU, and I wasn't going to take any more than that. After reading more about the benefits and risks, I have decided to add a specific vitamin D supplement so I get a total of 4,000 IU/day (plus whatever I get from my diet and the time I spend outside). That gives me a likely added benefit, without getting anywhere near the levels required for risk of toxicity.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 09:26:18 AM by GooooMarquette »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 10:08:01 AM »
Generally speaking, I would think many people are more likely unknowingly Vitamin D deficient than have too much. It's a simple, relatively
 inexpensive add to annual labs. I have known several people who were surprisingly low enough to require a daily supplement.

60,000 IU units a day is a lot of Vitamin D. How often are Internists/FP"s seeing this need in their daily practice vs a need for a supplement, but in much smaller denominations? I know several people just above or below a 20 score, or in the 20's, and they add either 1,000 or 2,000 per day to bump their levels. I believe this type of thing is pretty common in daily practice and adjust as needed. Also, some long term use of some other daily medications may require Vitamin D and other Vitamin monitoring, and, potential Vitamin add ons because of it. Off of the top of my head I am thinking PPI's etc...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 10:11:02 AM by shoothoops »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 11:12:26 AM »
Buy a UV lamp for the winter months.

Got one last year at my doc's recommendation, live it.  Helps with seasonal mood disorders too.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 11:36:18 AM »

Got one last year at my doc's recommendation, live it.  Helps with seasonal mood disorders too.

Brand recommendation?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 11:45:32 AM »
Brand recommendation?

Also, how do you use it? Is it just kind of another lamp in a room you spend a lot of time in, or is it more intentional than that? Like on a dimmer, alarm clock, wind down type of thing?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 01:03:30 PM »

+1 have used those for years.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 01:08:40 PM »
Also, how do you use it? Is it just kind of another lamp in a room you spend a lot of time in, or is it more intentional than that? Like on a dimmer, alarm clock, wind down type of thing?

I have a theralight.  Covered by insurance.

Run it for 30 mins a day, i turn it on at my desk and absorb the light. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 01:16:30 PM »
I have a theralight.  Covered by insurance.

Run it for 30 mins a day, i turn it on at my desk and absorb the light. 

Probably a Theralite. I just googled Theralight and it's a tanning bed.

Just so you know, starting today in my headcannon for ZFB you spend 30 minutes a day in a tanning bed.

tantommy.jpg

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 02:19:35 PM »
Pretty sure sum y'all are shinin' it on yo member just ta stimulate growth, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 04:20:23 PM »
Probably a Theralite. I just googled Theralight and it's a tanning bed.

Just so you know, starting today in my headcannon for ZFB you spend 30 minutes a day in a tanning bed.

tantommy.jpg

@coachtomcrean approves of this message.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 04:24:23 PM »
Pretty sure sum y'all are shinin' it on yo member just ta stimulate growth, aina?

ZFB tans in the nude.  Outdoors and in the tanning bed.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2020, 08:02:10 PM »
Apparently D good, but supplements did not replicate the benefit. 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.16.20232397v1

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2020, 08:56:23 PM »

Right, but that’s when they give D to people who are already hospitalized with Covid (because the illness is already pretty severe).

I think the most likely benefit is boosting your immune system to prevent you from getting it in the first place, or making any infection asymptomatic or so mildly symptomatic that you never need hospitalization.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2020, 10:10:31 PM »
Isn't D only absorbed in fat? So essentially you have to take it with a big juicy steak or tray of bacon? It'd seem like that could impact the effectiveness people are seeing
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2020, 10:34:31 PM »
Isn't D only absorbed in fat? So essentially you have to take it with a big juicy steak or tray of bacon? It'd seem like that could impact the effectiveness people are seeing

I don't think it is absorbed in fat but in your bloodstream. It is fat soluble and is stored is stored in the fat cells to be released when needed.

It does absorb best in your bloodstream, though,  when paired with high-fat foods.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2020, 07:39:29 AM »

I'm open to hearing Vitamin D isn't a wonder drug .. but this linked study's test was only about severe COVID patients, either receiving a megadose of D, or not, and what the outcome of that was.

"Vitamin D3 supplementation does not confer therapeutic benefits among hospitalized patients with severe COVID-19."

Many studies have shown taking it for months before infection has a significant impact on COVID severity.

For a penny a day, it's a no brainer.

feedback