[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vitamin D and COVID. Just take it.  (Read 6479 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Vitamin D and COVID. Just take it.
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2020, 08:25:45 AM »
I'm open to hearing Vitamin D isn't a wonder drug .. but this linked study's test was only about severe COVID patients, either receiving a megadose of D, or not, and what the outcome of that was.

"Vitamin D3 supplementation does not confer therapeutic benefits among hospitalized patients with severe COVID-19."

Many studies have shown taking it for months before infection has a significant impact on COVID severity.

For a penny a day, it's a no brainer.

Yep.

Good chance it's effective as a preventive medication, but not as a therapeutic one.

hepennypacker5000

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2020, 08:26:21 PM »
Isn't D only absorbed in fat? So essentially you have to take it with a big juicy steak or tray of bacon? It'd seem like that could impact the effectiveness people are seeing

It's absorbed better when taken with fatty foods, but if you take it with a meal pretty much any meal is going to have enough fat. This study1 found 15g of fat (tested using a dose of 50,000IU's!) was enough to improve absorption (the 30g group didn't have any better absorption than the 15g group), which is slightly more fat than is in one strip of bacon. Even in the group that took vit D with 0g's of fat, there was some absorption.

Based on other posts in this thread, 50,000IU's is way more than is necessary (and probably not even safe if you did it long term) so my wild ass guess would be taking 2,000-5,000IU's would require even fewer grams of fat for good-enough absorption.

1http://tiny.cc/q6c6tz(PDF)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2020, 08:29:28 PM »
It's absorbed better when taken with fatty foods, but if you take it with a meal pretty much any meal is going to have enough fat. This study1 found 15g of fat (tested using a dose of 50,000IU's!) was enough to improve absorption (the 30g group didn't have any better absorption than the 15g group), which is slightly more fat than is in one strip of bacon. Even in the group that took vit D with 0g's of fat, there was some absorption.

Based on other posts in this thread, 50,000IU's is way more than is necessary (and probably not even safe if you did it long term) so my wild ass guess would be taking 2,000-5,000IU's would require even fewer grams of fat for good-enough absorption.

1http://tiny.cc/q6c6tz(PDF)

Not proper MLA format.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

hepennypacker5000

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2020, 08:38:35 PM »
Not proper MLA format.

I've been away for a while, give me some time and I'll acclimate to this boards ruthlessly enforced posting standards.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2021, 10:11:53 PM »
Starting to get some good science out of UC regarding Vitamin D and Covid risk. n 3000

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-03/uocm-hvd031721.php

Take your Vitamin D supplements, folks.

feedback