collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 245547 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #900 on: December 08, 2020, 10:11:06 PM »

Funny thing is, if the Steelers were 'ranking' their remaining opponents before last night, the 'Football Team' would have been one of the least likely to upset them. Buffalo, Cleveland and Indy looked like far bigger risks.

Shows that when you have that target on your back, you need to show up every game....

Yup. The Dolphins had a lot of unimpressive wins that season, but they kept grinding 'em out. In the playoffs, they barely got by an OK Cleveland team. Then, even though they were 15-0, they had to go to Pittsburgh for the AFC title game because for a couple years there they rotated the playoff hosts (the way baseball used to). They were struggling in the first half against a young, not-yet-great Steelers team when Shula benched Earl Morrall -- who was the NFL MVP that season after replacing an injured Griese -- and put in Griese. The Dolphins pulled that one out and then, at 16-0, were 3-point underdogs against Washington in the SB.

The '73 Dolphins actually were a much more dominant team, even though they went 15-2 (including playoffs).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #901 on: December 09, 2020, 06:00:29 AM »
Yup. The Dolphins had a lot of unimpressive wins that season, but they kept grinding 'em out. In the playoffs, they barely got by an OK Cleveland team. Then, even though they were 15-0, they had to go to Pittsburgh for the AFC title game because for a couple years there they rotated the playoff hosts (the way baseball used to). They were struggling in the first half against a young, not-yet-great Steelers team when Shula benched Earl Morrall -- who was the NFL MVP that season after replacing an injured Griese -- and put in Griese. The Dolphins pulled that one out and then, at 16-0, were 3-point underdogs against Washington in the SB.

The '73 Dolphins actually were a much more dominant team, even though they went 15-2 (including playoffs).

Yeah prior to 1975 the NFL rotated the playoff hosts.  That was the reason the Packers hosted the Ice Bowl in 1967.  Also, the week prior they played the LA Rams in Milwaukee for the Western Conference championship, even though LA had by far the better record and beat the Packers head-to-head earlier in the season.

The year prior, the Packers had to travel to the Cotton Bowl for the NFL Championship even though Green Bay had the better record.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #902 on: December 09, 2020, 07:54:54 AM »
So Dez has a positive test so they pulled him off the field pregame. The NFL says that they did contact tracing and no one else is impacted.

The Fox guys were dumbfounded. Curt asked Jimmy how that could be, and the response was “I don’t know. Who am I? Dr. Fauci?”

I think a guy could test positive while coughing on his teammates at the 50 yard line, and the NFL wouldn’t cancel. Now that they can’t use bye weeks to adjust the schedule, I think they will be playing no matter what.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #903 on: December 09, 2020, 09:03:47 AM »
So Dez has a positive test so they pulled him off the field pregame. The NFL says that they did contact tracing and no one else is impacted.

The Fox guys were dumbfounded. Curt asked Jimmy how that could be, and the response was “I don’t know. Who am I? Dr. Fauci?”

15 minutes of sustained contact under 6 feet is harder to achieve then you think. Personally, I think that pretty lenient description of contact has helped the virus spread.

I understand that the likelihood you get the virus is significantly less beyond this criteria, but it is still certainly not zero.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #904 on: December 09, 2020, 11:20:40 AM »
15 minutes of sustained contact under 6 feet is harder to achieve then you think. Personally, I think that pretty lenient description of contact has helped the virus spread.

I understand that the likelihood you get the virus is significantly less beyond this criteria, but it is still certainly not zero.

He received his 1st positive on a quick test right before the game. Was negative the day before and inconclusive the morning of. So he probably would not have been infectious when he had contact with the team before the game.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #905 on: December 09, 2020, 01:17:02 PM »
A name that's apparently making rounds on the coaching carousel ... Marvin Lewis.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #906 on: December 09, 2020, 03:56:44 PM »

That’s the other amazing thing. They put in a backup quarterback after the starter gets injured, and the backup goes on to win the MVP. Has that happened in any other time, in any sport?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #907 on: December 09, 2020, 03:59:07 PM »
Kurt Warner?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #908 on: December 09, 2020, 04:31:52 PM »
Umm...Tom Brady?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #909 on: December 09, 2020, 05:03:58 PM »
Warner is a closer comparison. He replaced Trent Green, who was hurt in the preseason, and then won the MVP and Super Bowl.

After replacing an injured Bledsoe in 2001, Brady led the Pats to the Super Bowl. Statistically he was good but not great that season, and was largely a game manager.

A parallel with what happened with the 72 Dolphins would have been this:

Brady replaces an injured Bledsoe but then, despite Brady leading the Pats to an unbeaten record, winning the MVP and taking the Pats to the AFC title game, Belichick goes back to Bledsoe at halftime of the conference championship game.

Shula, who loved Morrall, agonized over the decision to go back to Griese. It was a good one.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 06:34:55 PM by MU82 »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #910 on: December 09, 2020, 05:06:36 PM »

22yr old naginiF played in the Earl Morrall charity golf tournament. After a couple of pops at the bar and right before the banquet I go to the bathroom. While standing at the urinal a gentleman asks me how the round was, was I enjoying myself, etc. I turn around and BAM Ed Morrall naked and dripping from the shower just standing there with his hands on his hips........back to the bar I went.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #911 on: December 09, 2020, 06:35:48 PM »
22yr old naginiF played in the Earl Morrall charity golf tournament. After a couple of pops at the bar and right before the banquet I go to the bathroom. While standing at the urinal a gentleman asks me how the round was, was I enjoying myself, etc. I turn around and BAM Ed Morrall naked and dripping from the shower just standing there with his hands on his hips........back to the bar I went.

That's hilarious.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #912 on: December 09, 2020, 06:39:13 PM »
They were struggling in the first half against a young, not-yet-great Steelers team when Shula benched Earl Morrall -- who was the NFL MVP that season after replacing an injured Griese --

I thought Earl Morral won his NFL MVP when he replaced an injured Johnny U for the Baltimore Colts in 1967.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #913 on: December 10, 2020, 11:05:20 AM »

That’s the other amazing thing. They put in a backup quarterback after the starter gets injured, and the backup goes on to win the MVP. Has that happened in any other time, in any sport?

Doug Williams

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #914 on: December 10, 2020, 11:20:15 AM »
Doug Williams

He was the Super Bowl MVP.  Not the NFL MVP.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #915 on: December 10, 2020, 11:20:53 AM »
I thought Earl Morral won his NFL MVP when he replaced an injured Johnny U for the Baltimore Colts in 1967.

1968.  Yes.  He did not win the MVP replacing Griese in 1972.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #916 on: December 10, 2020, 12:15:38 PM »

He was the Super Bowl MVP.  Not the NFL MVP.
Ditto Nick Foles, I think.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #917 on: December 10, 2020, 01:24:32 PM »
Morrall started the 1972 season on the bench, where he remained until Griese got injured in game 6.

Kurt Warner?

Warner started all 16 games in 1999, the first year he won the MVP.

Umm...Tom Brady?

Brady started all 16 games in 2007, the first year he won the MVP.

Edit: I stand corrected, in that Morrall didn't win MVP the year he came off the bench either. Oops.

It does then beg an interesting question: Has any player begun the season as a backup, and ended up winning the NFL MVP award?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 01:28:37 PM by GooooMarquette »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #918 on: December 10, 2020, 02:56:51 PM »
Morrall started the 1972 season on the bench, where he remained until Griese got injured in game 6.

Right, but only because starter Trent Green got hurt in the third preseason game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #919 on: December 10, 2020, 10:02:24 PM »

Brady started all 16 games in 2007, the first year he won the MVP.

Edit: I stand corrected, in that Morrall didn't win MVP the year he came off the bench either. Oops.

It does then beg an interesting question: Has any player begun the season as a backup, and ended up winning the NFL MVP award?

Thanks for the correction.

And to make your question more interesting add on ... “and then get benched in the playoffs?”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #920 on: December 11, 2020, 01:09:37 AM »
I’m a big Cam Newton fan but he looks toast. His arm looks really bad and as a result his decision making is poor and he’s seeing ghosts. Being vegan likely isn’t helping either.

I hope he can bounce back but he’s on the wrong side of 30 with all the other issues I just mentioned

MU82

• All American
« Reply #921 on: December 11, 2020, 04:46:23 PM »
I’m a big Cam Newton fan but he looks toast. His arm looks really bad and as a result his decision making is poor and he’s seeing ghosts. Being vegan likely isn’t helping either.

I hope he can bounce back but he’s on the wrong side of 30 with all the other issues I just mentioned

A QB who can’t throw a 10-yard pass is not a QB.

I loved watching Cam for his first 7 years. And as a Charlotte resident, I loved the way he grew up from petulant brat to altruistic community leader.

But he can no longer do QB things. The NFL chewed him up and spit him out.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #922 on: December 11, 2020, 06:32:13 PM »

A few years ago Damian Lillard went vegan to get leaner and found he lost too much weight and felt sluggish.

Though with Cam I think the beatings he was allowed to take, and COVID, have broken him.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #923 on: December 11, 2020, 06:48:16 PM »
A few years ago Damian Lillard went vegan to get leaner and found he lost too much weight and felt sluggish.

Though with Cam I think the beatings he was allowed to take, and COVID, have broken him.

Arian Foster tried too and it didn’t last long. I’m sure there are many ways to be vegan and stay athletic and very active. But needing to maintain extreme muscle mass and prodigious strength to not only do your job, but to stay healthy...it’s just not enough

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #924 on: December 13, 2020, 12:07:19 PM »
Ugliest uniforms ever?

With respect to the Pittsburgh Bumblebees.