[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 245462 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2020, 02:28:50 PM »
What does "built for a shoot out" defense even mean?  I know Collinsworth mentioned it during the broadcast.  Does it mean let a runner break several tackles and dance into the end zone?

I think it's a nice way of saying a defense so bad that the team can only win with a torrid offense.

Think Marquette basketball 2016-2018.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2020, 02:29:53 PM »
Sarcasm. That’s why it was in quotes.

Oh

Then your example makes no sense.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2020, 02:38:18 PM »
Source for the bears being the "number 1" defense?

I certainly don't think anyone in this thread has said that

Well, ESPN did label them "Elite."
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29811646/chicago-bears-2020-season-preview-elite-defense-only-carry-far

As did Fansided
https://fansided.com/2020/09/07/nfl-season-preview-chicago-bears-2020/

The Athletic put them in the top 5.
https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/08/chicago-bears-defense-ranks-5th-in-nfl-the-athletic-ranking/

So, obviously Jockey was being intentionally hyperbolic, but suffice to say the Bears' defense has not yet lived up to the hype.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2020, 03:18:40 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29811646/chicago-bears-2020-season-preview-elite-defense-only-carry-far

As did Fansided

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/08/chicago-bears-defense-ranks-5th-in-nfl-the-athletic-ranking/

So, obviously Jockey was being intentionally hyperbolic, but suffice to say the Bears' defense has not yet lived up to the hype.

Thanks, pakuni. Hyperbolic is a better term than sarcastic, but the point remains the same.

Sarcasm isn’t bad though. I listen to WSCR a lot (because all Wisconsin sports talk radio is so bad), and they are always going on and on about their Championship defense.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 03:25:03 PM by Jockey »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2020, 03:26:44 PM »
No Bears fan is saying this is a great team, but it’s an infinitely more interesting team with Foles.  I’m a huge Bears fan, but I watched yesterday’s game like I watched the second half of the Giants game, with Red Zone on and following the PBP on one of the sports apps. You know exactly what they are with Trubisky. However, I flipped it over immediately once Foles came in. Cause at least there is some potential and intrigue.  They have weapons, I’d love to see Foles not waste A Rob any more.  And the defense really seems to take cues from the offense. There’s almost like a “what’s the point” vibe when the offense is sputtering (which is entirely on coaching obviously).

I’m sad for Mitch the person, cause he seems like a really good guy who handled this with class and poise. But from a football perspective, I’m thrilled. He just didn’t have it and hopefully he can find it under tutelage elsewhere.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2020, 03:31:59 PM »
Every decade or so, the Bears have a team that has a horseshoe up their backside.  It appears we have reached that time.

Here’s the thing about NFL defenses thus far, they all stink
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #156 on: September 28, 2020, 03:38:06 PM »

As did Fansided

Am I missing something here? The ESPN article you cited had the Bears Defense FPI index at 7. The other articles call the Bears a top 5 defense. I think the word "Elite" is being generously thrown around here, first by the person (not Dickerson) who put the ESPN headline together, and then by The Athletic and whoever Fansided is.

They're currently 9th in PPG (they'll most likely move up to 8 at the end of this evening), 7th in sacks, 4th in takeaways, 1st in passing touchdowns against. For context's sake, they are middle of the road in YPG, rushing TDs against.

Small sample size for everyone.

Do I think they are elite? No. Is any NFL defense this year elite? No. But they aren't awful like they are being portrayed here.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #157 on: September 28, 2020, 03:40:30 PM »
What does "built for a shoot out" defense even mean?  I know Collinsworth mentioned it during the broadcast.  Does it mean let a runner break several tackles and dance into the end zone? 

I think it just means that they are a defense that relies on creating chaos and turnovers rather than one that is "stout."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #158 on: September 28, 2020, 04:06:30 PM »
No Bears fan is saying this is a great team, but it’s an infinitely more interesting team with Foles.  I’m a huge Bears fan, but I watched yesterday’s game like I watched the second half of the Giants game, with Red Zone on and following the PBP on one of the sports apps. You know exactly what they are with Trubisky. However, I flipped it over immediately once Foles came in. Cause at least there is some potential and intrigue.  They have weapons, I’d love to see Foles not waste A Rob any more.  And the defense really seems to take cues from the offense. There’s almost like a “what’s the point” vibe when the offense is sputtering (which is entirely on coaching obviously).

I’m sad for Mitch the person, cause he seems like a really good guy who handled this with class and poise. But from a football perspective, I’m thrilled. He just didn’t have it and hopefully he can find it under tutelage elsewhere.

Ya.

I can't remember who, but a fairly knowledgeable football guy on twitter yesterday said as soon as Foles came in the Falcons stopped run blitzing as they had to respect the whole field.

The Falcons stink.

But defenses will have to treat the Bears differently with Foles under center.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2020, 04:07:13 PM »

I think it just means that they are a defense that relies on creating chaos and turnovers rather than one that is "stout."

IMO, I don't think the Bears D is "stout" either. They're coached and constructed to play with a lead and pass rush like crazy.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2020, 04:29:06 PM »

I agree. It’s a playoff team if Foles stays healthy.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2020, 04:41:37 PM »
Do I think they are elite? No. Is any NFL defense this year elite? No. But they aren't awful like they are being portrayed here.

Nobody is saying they're awful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2020, 04:50:33 PM »

Actually, so am I. He is a regular at my Parish in the off-season and by all measures, a decent, well-meaning and caring person.

I wanted him to be successful because football life in the Midwest is eminently more interesting when the Bears and the Packers are competing for dominance in all of football.

I know the Bears have been quarterback challenged since Bill Wade retired but, geez, this guy was drafted in the top eighth of the draft. He had to have something special. That, or the Bears were idiots.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #163 on: September 28, 2020, 04:51:26 PM »

Extrapolating from the evidence, it means making exactly one play per game.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #164 on: September 28, 2020, 08:16:57 PM »
I know the Bears have been quarterback challenged since Bill Wade retired but, geez, this guy was drafted in the top eighth of the draft. He had to have something special. That, or the Bears were idiots.

Unfortunately it’s the latter. They were the guy looking for love at the bar. You have the gorgeous chick who won pageants and beauty competitions but for some reason they assumed her beauty would soon fade (Watson), the late bloomer who was unassuming in HS but had become super attractive and was potentially going to become the most beautiful girl from her class when all was said and done (Mahomes)...but the Bears became enamored with the chick that randomly appeared and drunkenly danced on the bar. Nobody knew much about her but she was flashy and seemed like she COULD be a all out hottie, so they paid off the dudes standing close to the bar with shots and beers to get to be the one to catch her when she drunkenly slipped off the bar top

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #165 on: September 28, 2020, 08:49:02 PM »
Actually, so am I. He is a regular at my Parish in the off-season and by all measures, a decent, well-meaning and caring person.

I wanted him to be successful because football life in the Midwest is eminently more interesting when the Bears and the Packers are competing for dominance in all of football.

He only started one year at UNC. People were enamored with his arm strength and physical stature. That’s why Russell Wilson fell as he did, he failed  the eye test while Trubisky passed it (as did Ryan Tannehill, Daniel Jones, Paxton Lynch, Sam Darnold...).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #166 on: September 28, 2020, 08:49:50 PM »
Unfortunately it’s the latter. They were the guy looking for love at the bar. You have the gorgeous chick who won pageants and beauty competitions but for some reason they assumed her beauty would soon fade (Watson), the late bloomer who was unassuming in HS but had become super attractive and was potentially going to become the most beautiful girl from her class when all was said and done (Mahomes)...but the Bears became enamored with the chick that randomly appeared and drunkenly danced on the bar. Nobody knew much about her but she was flashy and seemed like she COULD be a all out hottie, so they paid off the dudes standing close to the bar with shots and beers to get to be the one to catch her when she drunkenly slipped off the bar top

I think Mitch was more of the girl that gave you a beej in the library, then you wanted to check out obscure periodicals for no damn goid reason.

Mitch is too dull the be the drunk girl on the bar.

Otherwise i like your thought process. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #167 on: September 28, 2020, 09:09:15 PM »
Anywhere I can place a bet on the Chiefs going 19-0?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #168 on: September 28, 2020, 10:10:53 PM »
He only started one year at UNC. People were enamored with his arm strength and physical stature. That’s why Russell Wilson fell as he did, he failed  the eye test while Trubisky passed it (as did Ryan Tannehill, Daniel Jones, Paxton Lynch, Sam Darnold...).

Reminds me of Rick Mirer of Notre Dame drafted (I think) 3td overall by the Seahawks a number of years ago. Like Trubisky, he was big, fast and had a strong arm. His biggest drawback (like Trubisky) was that his strong arm was not especially accurate. Oh, and (like Trubisky) he didn’t really have a “feel” or instincts for the game. How teams overlook those two things when drafting QBs is beyond me.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #169 on: September 29, 2020, 10:07:47 AM »
8 people in the Titans organization tested positive. 3 players.

It will be interesting how the NFL handles this. They can’t do double headers like MLB.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #170 on: September 29, 2020, 10:45:09 AM »

It will be interesting how the NFL handles this. They can’t do double headers like MLB.

Congrats to the Bears on finishing this year undefeated.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #171 on: September 29, 2020, 12:18:53 PM »

There's a reason why practice squads were expanded to 16 players this year.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #172 on: September 29, 2020, 12:54:19 PM »
There's a reason why practice squads were expanded to 16 players this year.

MLB had expanded active rosters, 60 man clubs and taxi squads and still shut down the Cards & Fish for a week.  Will be interesting to see what happens in TN & MN.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #173 on: September 29, 2020, 01:53:38 PM »

Vikings have stopped practices while they figure out how to handle the possible exposures.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/09/29/vikings-stop-practice-after-titans-players-test-positive-for-covid19

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2020, 08:42:40 PM »
Thank you, Donald Trump, for bringing back football. I am, indeed, very proud of you.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter