'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Athletic* article  (Read 9469 times)

jesmu84

• All American
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:47:06 PM by jesmu84 »

panda

• All American
Re: Atlantic article
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 06:48:39 PM »
Koby making more and more friends !

mumi27

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 06:58:08 PM »
I wish Koby would have just come out and said that he played poorly last season. I'm sure that Markus is tough to play with in one way or another but to seemingly place a lot of the blame on playing with a high usage guard is an excuse and a bad look. The guy needs to play better but I have many doubts even with Markus gone.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 07:07:15 PM »
If the Athletic (not Atlantic) has a word count target for each D1 team for the year, this article probably filled the quota!

Now we cannot complain about lack of MU coverage there any longer.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 07:09:19 PM »
I mean, maybe he shouldn't have said it out loud, but he's not entirely wrong either. Playing alongside someone like Markus is a challenge and requires no small amount of self-sacrifice and adjustment. You may recall, a couple of kids transferred from Marquette because they didn't want to do it.
I don't think it excuses some of his poor play, mind you, but those aren't false statements either.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 07:14:01 PM »
Assuming we have a season (sorry - had to say it), Koby has set the bar high for what fans will expect from him....

mumi27

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 07:14:23 PM »
I would accept his reasoning more if he didn't end last season with a 41.2 eFG%. That is objectively awful no matter which way you look at it, especially with how much he played

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 12:15:26 AM »
I mean, maybe he shouldn't have said it out loud, but he's not entirely wrong either. Playing alongside someone like Markus is a challenge and requires no small amount of self-sacrifice and adjustment. You may recall, a couple of kids transferred from Marquette because they didn't want to do it.
I don't think it excuses some of his poor play, mind you, but those aren't false statements either.

If Markus was easy to play with Joey would be a Junior. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: Athletic* article
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 07:49:35 AM »
Interesting.

mumi27

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »
Joey played well and transferred because Markus dominated the ball. Koby played poorly and tried to partially explain it away by pointing out who he played with. These are not 1:1 situations. I am hoping and willing to believe he can be good but he will have to be a lot better than last season to get to that point

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 08:11:10 AM by mumi27 »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 08:01:59 AM »

Eh.  We're fine without him.  Sam I missed.  His brother?  Nah.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 08:41:12 AM »

I’m curious Joey’s feelings on Izzo deciding to play the one and done game
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 09:10:30 AM »

And Sam would have finished in the top 10 all-time in scoring and rebounding.

It's not easy to play with a guy who monopolizes the ball. You can acknowledge that and appreciate Markus' immense talent.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 09:52:53 AM »
And Sam would have finished in the top 10 all-time in scoring and rebounding.

It's not easy to play with a guy who monopolizes the ball. You can acknowledge that and appreciate Markus' immense talent.

Well said.  Didn't necessarily help matters that Steve insisted "Markus has the ultimate green light.  We want Markus to shoot more." 

Attached pic of Koby..saw this same image with Sam, Joey, etc.  Hundreds of times.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 10:05:26 AM »
Looks like Koby is signaling a made 3 by Markus.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 10:15:36 AM »
If Markus was so difficult to play with, why didn't Andrew Rowsey have similar issues? Why did Sam score as much as he did? Yes, we had a dynamic scorer that dominated the ball, but other scorers were able to fit in and score around him too. I would love to see Koby burst out this next year, but the feeling I got was that it was less about Markus dominating the ball and more Koby failing to take advantages of his chances when they came.

His eFG% was 41.2%. Markus' was 53.0%. Did anyone really want Markus to sacrifice shots for McEwen? I can see the argument for the bigs as both John & Johnson had respectable eFG%. I can even see it for Bailey or Anim, who were closer to Markus in terms of efficiency and it would diversify the offense a bit. Koby...I want the kid to succeed, but his problem wasn't having Markus alongside him, it was that he didn't perform at the level we need him to in order to be a high-level Big East player.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 12:31:58 PM »

This man with the voice of reason

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 12:33:01 PM »

Dumb take.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 12:34:34 PM »
Looks like Koby is signaling a made 3 by Markus.

Little hard to have made a three pointer when the fall is on the bottom right.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 12:35:19 PM »
Dumb take.

I don't think we missed him much last year, and feel our front court talent will be better this year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »
Joey did not want to be here, so we move on.  To dismiss his talent is rather silly talk though.  Kid can play.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2020, 12:56:19 PM »
It's good to have another discussion about the Hausers. It would have more legitimacy if it included mention of their poor shooting the last 10 games of their respective Marquette careers.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2020, 12:59:03 PM »

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 01:16:47 PM »
If Markus was so difficult to play with, why didn't Andrew Rowsey have similar issues? Why did Sam score as much as he did? Yes, we had a dynamic scorer that dominated the ball, but other scorers were able to fit in and score around him too. I would love to see Koby burst out this next year, but the feeling I got was that it was less about Markus dominating the ball and more Koby failing to take advantages of his chances when they came.

His eFG% was 41.2%. Markus' was 53.0%. Did anyone really want Markus to sacrifice shots for McEwen? I can see the argument for the bigs as both John & Johnson had respectable eFG%. I can even see it for Bailey or Anim, who were closer to Markus in terms of efficiency and it would diversify the offense a bit. Koby...I want the kid to succeed, but his problem wasn't having Markus alongside him, it was that he didn't perform at the level we need him to in order to be a high-level Big East player.

Both can be true - Koby could have played better, shot better, yet it also is true that a players offensive game can be affected by playing with a ball/shot hog of historic/unprecedented proportions.

As for Rowsey - He was the PG while playing with Markus, and as a result had the ball in his hands a lot more than an off guard would.  Sam and Joey leaving speaks for itself as to how players feel about playing with a shot hog.

All of this doesn't mean Markus wasn't sublimely talented, yet the team results weren't great.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2020, 01:19:15 PM »
It's good to have another discussion about the Hausers. It would have more legitimacy if it included mention of their poor shooting the last 10 games of their respective Marquette careers.
Not all 10 for sure.  Big thing was the last 3 regular season games against Creighton, @SHU and G-Town as well as the Murray St. fiasco.  Their #s were decent other than those pivotal games.  The disheartening loss at Nova was a huge turning point.  My last thought on the subject as we move on to the future (whenever that might start).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 01:40:33 PM by Nukem2 »