[Today at 06:05:33 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Future of Basketball  (Read 9973 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: The Future of Basketball
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2020, 01:19:59 PM »
I think that was likely the deepest talent of "all time greats" between Bird, Johnson and Iverson toward the end of their careers, guys like Shaq and Duncan beginning theirs and all the dream team guys peaking, not to mention guys like Reggie Miller or Hakeem who were unreal but not even a part of that immortal squad and that's why people dream for those days again. But by and large you're right though it was better than the early 2000s iso ball and head cases all over that was truly painful to watch.

Iverson wasn't a contemporary of Bird and Magic.

But I really don't agree with your premise.  I think the talent in the NBA now is at an all time high.  I think its nostalgia that is putting last generation's players on a pedestal. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2020, 01:22:49 PM »

Iverson wasn't a contemporary of Bird and Magic.

But I really don't agree with your premise.  I think the talent in the NBA now is at an all time high.  I think its nostalgia that is putting last generation's players on a pedestal.

Hahaha I was think Isaiah Thomas but was already into my point about non stop ISO plays and immediately thought iverson. My bad
Maigh Eo for Sam

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2020, 01:30:04 PM »

The NBA is one of those sports where today is always the greatest era, and in 10 years they'll say how the 2010's couldn't compare to what they have in 2030.  And with the same rules in place, I'll take a team from the 1960's (Robertson, West, Baylor, Chamberlain, Alcindor, Russell, Pettit, Frazier etc.) against today's defensively challenged NBA players.

(The NFL does this too, if only to avoid the comparison that maybe the 1970's were better after all.)

Baseball is the only American pro sport where you can compare across the generations. Mookie Betts or Trea Turner aren't the best of all time by a long shot because the stats don't support it. Aaron or Mays in their prime would still be that good today.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 01:35:15 PM by DFW HOYA »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2020, 01:32:39 PM »
Look, there is no better endorsement of what Marquette is trying to do than to have Markus Howard sticking with an NBA team. He is one of the greats of our program and he continues to distinguish himself.

That said, I have my doubts. I trust I am wrong, but Mr. Howard's size will be a detriment. People have overcome it but it's a major obstacle. There aren't many Mugsy Bouges in the league anymore.

Everything you said is correct.  I think most of the people on scoop wish Markus the best and hope he plays in the NBA but are realistic that it likely won’t happen. 

There is really no good reason however to bring his name up in a negative fashion because he represented MU on and off the court so well.  Bringing up Herro or any of the thousands of non MU players to purposefully put his career in a negative light is petty.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2020, 01:35:55 PM »
The NBA is one of those sports where today is always the greatest era, and in 10 years they'll say how the 2010's couldn't compare to what they have in 2030. The NFL does this too, if only to avoid the comparison that maybe the 1970's were better after all.

Baseball is the only American pro sport where you can compare across the generations. Mookie Betts or Trea Turner aren't the best of all time by a long shot.

Except that era where everyone was juicing can't exactly compare to them
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2020, 01:54:59 PM »
The NBA is one of those sports where today is always the greatest era, and in 10 years they'll say how the 2010's couldn't compare to what they have in 2030.  And with the same rules in place, I'll take a team from the 1960's (Robertson, West, Baylor, Chamberlain, Alcindor, Russell, Pettit, Frazier etc.) against today's defensively challenged NBA players.

(The NFL does this too, if only to avoid the comparison that maybe the 1970's were better after all.)

Baseball is the only American pro sport where you can compare across the generations. Mookie Betts or Trea Turner aren't the best of all time by a long shot because the stats don't support it. Aaron or Mays in their prime would still be that good today.

I agree with this analysis.  The level of play in today’s NBA is well ahead of what would have been my formative years of Bird, Magic, Isaiah, ‘Nique, Clyde and so on.  That’s not a shot at those guys but as the sport evolves, the players get bigger stronger, faster and more skilled physically.  Those guys would have killed playing today had they been given all the advantages today’s guys have with strength programs and the such.  Nothing wrong with nostalgia, but all sports evolve
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2020, 02:00:41 PM »
My favorite "all time great" basketball stat that looks terrible in retrospect is that Magic Johnson made a grand total of 59 three point shots his first nine years in the league.  And shot them at a rate of about 20%.

Then his last three full years, he hit 245 total at about 35%.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2020, 05:12:48 PM »
Postseason 3s

2013-14: 44.6 3s per game | 27.9% of total shots
2014-15: 51.1 | 30.2%
2015-16: 51.5 | 31.0%
2016-17: 58.2 | 34.8%
2017-18: 59.8 | 35.5%
2018-19: 65.9 | 37.9%
2019-20: 74.8 | 43.4%

The 3-point revolution isn't slowing down or even plateauing. It's ramping up and reforming conventional wisdom at breakneck speed. Is this even the same sport?

If I read an entire Heisenberg v2.0 started thread, am I even the same person?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2020, 06:37:39 PM »
Kind of hard to in the G league or overseas.

I'd bet you Howard gets at least one NBA minute next year if I wasn't 100% certain you wouldn't pay up.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2020, 01:47:53 PM »
If I read an entire Heisenberg v2.0 started thread, am I even the same person?

We don't know. Nobody has ever tried.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2020, 01:52:02 PM »
I'd bet you Howard gets at least one NBA minute next year if I wasn't 100% certain you wouldn't pay up.

That would be an interesting bet, can I bet my 200 dollars owed by chicos?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2020, 05:46:43 PM »
The Dolphins won the 1973 Super Bowl with Bob Griese throwing 11 passes. The Sports Illustrated article about the game talked in wonder about how Griese threw an important pass to his tight end -- on first down! -- like that was the craziest thing he possibly could have done.

The Dolphins repeated as champions the following year ... with Griese throwing 7 passes in the Super Bowl. Seven! And he was a Hall of Famer who called his own plays!!!

Successful NFL teams of that era ran and ran and ran and ran. They ran to set up the pass, and also to set up more runs.

It was the same in college and high school, and continued to be the same for a couple decades, at least.

But it's not that way now at any level.

Sports evolve. Could give many examples, including the above, and 3-point shooting in hoops.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2020, 09:16:15 AM »
The Dolphins won the 1973 Super Bowl with Bob Griese throwing 11 passes. The Sports Illustrated article about the game talked in wonder about how Griese threw an important pass to his tight end -- on first down! -- like that was the craziest thing he possibly could have done.

The Dolphins repeated as champions the following year ... with Griese throwing 7 passes in the Super Bowl. Seven! And he was a Hall of Famer who called his own plays!!!

Successful NFL teams of that era ran and ran and ran and ran. They ran to set up the pass, and also to set up more runs.

It was the same in college and high school, and continued to be the same for a couple decades, at least.

Sports evolve. Could give many examples, including the above, and 3-point shooting in hoops.

The hash marks on the field were wider (not sure what year they were moved more to center) as well as you could run a power play to the right or left which made the running game more difficult to defend.

With Horning and Taylor in the backfield that was one of Lombardis favorite plays.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 09:18:43 AM by muwarrior69 »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2020, 09:33:38 AM »
The hash marks on the field were wider (not sure what year they were moved more to center) as well as you could run a power play to the right or left which made the running game more difficult to defend.

With Horning and Taylor in the backfield that was one of Lombardis favorite plays.

1972 is when they moved. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2020, 09:38:52 AM »

That is true if you play at Wrigley or Fenway. All the other teams play in vastly different ball parks today. Not saying Mays or Aaron would not be good today but I think their stat would be quite different. Back in their day pitchers would pitch complete games some as long as 13 or 14 innings. I saw Don Newcombe pitch both games of a double header; today a hitter faces 2 if not 3 pitchers a game. I am sure astro turf added a few points to ones batting average as well. I do take your point that baseball is easier to compare over generations than other sports however.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2020, 09:50:08 AM »

Doubtful.  I think they like the higher scoring, shoot from anywhere version of the NBA.

....and take as many steps as you like to make your shot or get to the basket.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2020, 09:54:41 AM »
....and take as many steps as you like to make your shot or get to the basket.

That hasn't changed.  The NBA has always been a little more "forgiving."

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2020, 09:58:29 AM »
That is true if you play at Wrigley or Fenway. All the other teams play in vastly different ball parks today. Not saying Mays or Aaron would not be good today but I think their stat would be quite different. Back in their day pitchers would pitch complete games some as long as 13 or 14 innings. I saw Don Newcombe pitch both games of a double header; today a hitter faces 2 if not 3 pitchers a game. I am sure astro turf added a few points to ones batting average as well. I do take your point that baseball is easier to compare over generations than other sports however.

I agree. Mr. Mays played most of his home games at wind-blown, godawful Candlestick Park at Hunters Point in San Francisco. The Giants almost went broke playing there because it was so cold and so uncomfortable, nobody wanted to watch a game there.

Had Willie Mays played in Fenway, Wrigley, or even the launching pad in Atlanta, Albert Pujols wouldn't even be in the same discussion as Mr. Mays. Plus, when he and Mr. Aaron went on the road, they played in places like Busch II, Riverfront Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, Veterans Stadium, the Astrodome and Shea Stadium, to name a few of the "cutters" and other awful home run parks. Same for people like Mr. Aaron, Roberto Clemente, etc.

That said, I was looking at a photo of next year's MU team the other day and their very muscular bodies. Almost nobody in the 1970s or 1980s had bodies like that and the conditioning at that time was very different. It's not a fair comparison.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2020, 10:10:01 AM »
I agree. Mr. Mays played most of his home games at wind-blown, godawful Candlestick Park at Hunters Point in San Francisco. The Giants almost went broke playing there because it was so cold and so uncomfortable, nobody wanted to watch a game there.

Had Willie Mays played in Fenway, Wrigley, or even the launching pad in Atlanta, Albert Pujols wouldn't even be in the same discussion as Mr. Mays. Plus, when he and Mr. Aaron went on the road, they played in places like Busch II, Riverfront Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, Veterans Stadium, the Astrodome and Shea Stadium, to name a few of the "cutters" and other awful home run parks. Same for people like Mr. Aaron, Roberto Clemente, etc.

That said, I was looking at a photo of next year's MU team the other day and their very muscular bodies. Almost nobody in the 1970s or 1980s had bodies like that and the conditioning at that time was very different. It's not a fair comparison.

Heck, had Willie played in today's SF ballpark, he'd have had significantly more HRs.

My dad's favorite ballplayer ever, BTW. I get chills watching some of Willie's highlights.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2020, 10:43:33 AM »
Last week Planet Money re-ran a 2019 podcast with Kirk Goldsberry

https://www.npr.org/transcripts/731408726

KIRK GOLDSBERRY: I got a Ph.D. in geography and was a professor of geography for six years at Michigan State and Harvard and then started applying map-making and data visualization techniques to basketball data, which is the love of my life.

VANEK SMITH: Kirk is the author of the new book "SprawlBall," which tells the story of how the 3-point shot came to take over the NBA this decade.

Here is an interesting take from Goldsberry ...

GOLDSBERRY: Those exact shots that we associate with Michael Jordan are virtually, you know, nonexistent. It's not to say mid-range shots are completely dead, but they're trending that way and trending that way fast.

He goes on to say that Jordan's style would be frowned up as coaches demand he with pentatrate and dish for the open three or stand behind the arc and wait for the pass.

Goldsberry thinks all the "chucking" makes the game boring to watch and thinks they should move the line back, a lot.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2020, 10:58:18 AM »
Well if a map professor thinks the game is boring.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2020, 11:15:44 AM »

Even as a Yankee fan I loved Willie Mays. I got to see him play at Ebbets field in Brooklyn and the Polo Grounds. He had a short right field porch as the upper deck had about a 10 foot over hang into the field but my God it was 475 to center. I also saw him hit his 660th home run at Shea Stadium when he played for the Mets. As a youngster I got to see all those great players of that era: DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra, Snyder, Jackie Robinson, Ted Williams, Aaron, Clemente, Banks and Musial just to name a few.

82, I agree with you, Candlestick park was just an awful place to play and Mays' stats would be far better if he had played elsewhere. I remember the 6th game of the '62 WS was postponed for almost a week because of bad weather.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2020, 11:34:02 AM »

In 1973, Jerry Tagge, Jim Del Gaizo and Scott Hunter tied for the Packers team lead with 2 touchdown passes on the season.  Throw in an option TD from MacArthur Lane, and the team had 7 TD passes for the entire season.

Quite a putrid stretch in games 6-8.  Week 6, they amassed a net 28 yards passing.  Dropped to 3 the next week.  Can't get worse than that?  Week 8, -3 net passing yards against the Bears.  Like something out of the 30's.

The following season they added MVP John Hadl to improve the passing game.   Well, Hadl did throw 3 TD's on the season for Green Bay, but the team only had 5 total for 1974.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2020, 11:48:20 AM »
Last week Planet Money re-ran a 2019 podcast with Kirk Goldsberry

https://www.npr.org/transcripts/731408726

KIRK GOLDSBERRY: I got a Ph.D. in geography and was a professor of geography for six years at Michigan State and Harvard and then started applying map-making and data visualization techniques to basketball data, which is the love of my life.

VANEK SMITH: Kirk is the author of the new book "SprawlBall," which tells the story of how the 3-point shot came to take over the NBA this decade.

Here is an interesting take from Goldsberry ...

GOLDSBERRY: Those exact shots that we associate with Michael Jordan are virtually, you know, nonexistent. It's not to say mid-range shots are completely dead, but they're trending that way and trending that way fast.

He goes on to say that Jordan's style would be frowned up as coaches demand he with pentatrate and dish for the open three or stand behind the arc and wait for the pass.

Goldsberry thinks all the "chucking" makes the game boring to watch and thinks they should move the line back, a lot.

If you agree with this "expert," Smuggles, why are you even posting here? If basketball is getting to the point where you find it boring and not worth following, why bother with Scoop, Marquette basketball, or tectonically-changing sports at all?

I guess you just like the company here ... so on behalf of Scoopers everywhere, I thank you for the compliment!

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2020, 11:54:47 AM »
If I also told you Goldsberry was the head of statistical analysis for the San Antonio Spurs, would you take "experts" out of quotes?  Or, is this just the standard "agree with me" or ad hominem attack without addressing the issue that is a staple of your posts?

And, for the record, I do think it is boring.  Push the three-point line back and re-introduce a more athletic style of play.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 11:56:47 AM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.