[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Proud of Doc Rivers  (Read 34359 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Proud of Doc Rivers
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2020, 10:44:35 AM »
They are 100% entitled to their opinion. Just remember they are basketball coaches first and foremost.

First and foremost they are men.

Men who deserve the same rights and privileges as anyone else under the constitution.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2020, 10:49:52 AM »
Yes......why why yes I do.
#softy

I genuinely can't tell if this is a joke or not. I hope it is.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2020, 10:54:01 AM »

Men who deserve the same rights and privileges as anyone else under the constitution.

He's not arguing against this.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2020, 10:55:35 AM »
I would agree. But I'm not supporting or promoting any opinion other than be careful who you listen to. I am no expert on race relations or police policies. Doc is no expert and either is the Republican, Kanye West.

IMHO we should listen to experts in their fields, be it politics or COVID or sports, etc. Doc is an expert in basketball. I'm proud that he is an MU alum and I'd take him as our coach any day.

We will agree to disagree on this. Regardless of platforms, I like to look at who the person is not who the media proclaims them to be.
You all read Kendi?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2020, 10:56:46 AM »

NM

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2020, 12:01:43 PM »
I genuinely can't tell if this is a joke or not. I hope it is.
Of course it is.....people are just a little amped up on here.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2020, 12:05:44 PM »
I think our president the perfect example of this.

Not that it matters, but I think Trump is an ass.
why go there? Why?
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2020, 12:45:37 PM »
I would agree. But I'm not supporting or promoting any opinion other than be careful who you listen to. I am no expert on race relations or police policies. Doc is no expert and either is the Republican, Kanye West.

IMHO we should listen to experts in their fields, be it politics or COVID or sports, etc. Doc is an expert in basketball. I'm proud that he is an MU alum and I'd take him as our coach any day.

We will agree to disagree on this. Regardless of platforms, I like to look at who the person is not who the media proclaims them to be.

Doc has some very real world experience on race relations. For sure at Marquette and during his time in Atlanta. I think that gives him more credence than an average person.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2020, 12:46:34 PM »
Of course it is.....people are just a little amped up on here.

I have apparently lost my ability to tell (without the teal, at least). 
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2020, 01:02:00 PM »

You are just looking to disagree. I have been consistent in stating that all opinions matter and should be considered. From men or women. I just don't think being a celebrity gives you more credibility than anyone else, including you. This is just my humble opinion.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2020, 01:09:57 PM »
Doc has some very real world experience on race relations. For sure at Marquette and during his time in Atlanta. I think that gives him more credence than an average person.

His home was burned down bc he has a white wife.  Imagine being a Dad and having every toy your kids own being destroyed.  How hopeless would you feel?  I will listen to Doc Rivers talk about racism all day long. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2020, 01:12:31 PM »
Doc Rivers is a good man.  He's generally been fair in his commentary on matters of race and social justice.  He's right to be outraged by what happened in Kenosha, especially coming on the heels of Floyd case.

It would be helpful to the cause if he, LeBron, etc., would also include statements about the importance to comply with the orders of Police, and to not resist arrest. 

Unfortunately it seems both sides of this issue won't concede anything.  Those who staunchly support police, point toward lack of compliance as "justification," and those who support the victims historically make no comment about their resistance serving as a catalyst.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2020, 01:18:53 PM »
Doc Rivers represents the best of the Marquette family.  I'm proud of him and the other current and past players and coaches who are standing up for the real American Dream of equality and justice.  They refuse to "shut up and dribble." https://twitter.com/i/status/1298475639863992321

How is he representing his family?

His father is Grady Rivers, a Police Lieutenant in the Chicago Police Department.  His father would attend Glenn's high school games at Proviso East in Maywood Illinois in uniform.  He coached Glenn's little league games with his CPD squad car on the field with the radio turned up all the way so he could hear the dispatcher.

Grady was very proud to have been part of the Chicago Police Department. He should be.  Grady passed away in 2007 so we'll never know what he thinks about his son's suggestion that the police seek out African Americans to shoot them.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2020, 01:25:41 PM »
Doc Rivers is a good man.  He's generally been fair in his commentary on matters of race and social justice.  He's right to be outraged by what happened in Kenosha, especially coming on the heels of Floyd case.

It would be helpful to the cause if he, LeBron, etc., would also include statements about the importance to comply with the orders of Police, and to not resist arrest. 

Unfortunately it seems both sides of this issue won't concede anything.  Those who staunchly support police, point toward lack of compliance as "justification," and those who support the victims historically make no comment about their resistance serving as a catalyst.

Maybe bc if Sam Hauser were to resist, he would get tackled, if Jamal Cain were to resist, he would get shot.  We saw it plain as day with the 17 year shooter in Kenosha.  He defied orders 2-3 times, kept walking towards police and nothing happened to him.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2020, 01:36:24 PM »

What police order did Breonna Taylor resist? The ones the police claim to have made but that neighbors say was BS, and that they can't prove because there was no video footage?

Look, anybody can find all kinds of justifications for these murders of Black folks. Or they can change the subject to Black-on-Black crime, family values, reverse racism, "evil liberals" or whatever else they need so they can feel better about themselves.

Back to the OP ... I'm very proud of my friend and fellow alum, Glenn Rivers.

We Are Marquette! Black Lives Matter.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 01:40:53 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2020, 01:54:48 PM »

Yes

No

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2020, 01:57:10 PM »

On "side" is literally conceding their lives. Doc is 100% right, black people have been enormously restrained and patient in trying to get the other "side" to understand that executing them in the streets is unacceptable.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2020, 02:07:34 PM »
On "side" is literally conceding their lives. Doc is 100% right, black people have been enormously restrained and patient in trying to get the other "side" to understand that executing them in the streets is unacceptable.

Yeah, I can just imagine if the interwebs, social media, etc, were around decades ago.

"Jackie Robinson might have a better argument to make if he didn't steal so many bases. Why does he have to piss off all the white ballplayers by being better than they are?"

That's a joke, of course, but can you imagine what interwebs trolls woulda been twitting about MLK?

Wrong is wrong. Stop discriminating against Black folks just because they are Black. Stop shooting them, accusing them, arresting them, making dog-whistle comments about them, trying to justify your racism toward them, etc. It's effen 2020. You don't have to be "woke," just wake the eff up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2020, 03:48:56 PM »
Wrong is wrong. Stop discriminating against Black folks just because they are Black. Stop shooting them, accusing them, arresting them, making dog-whistle comments about them, trying to justify your racism toward them, etc. It's effen 2020. You don't have to be "woke," just wake the eff up.
Racism is WRONG and evil. Blacks have been unfairly treated. I could not agree more.

But (there is always a 'but) some people, of every race, need to be arrested and sadly shot to preserve innocent lives (yes even police lives). Absolute statements undermine the quality of the cause. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2020, 04:48:30 PM »
What police order did Breonna Taylor resist? The ones the police claim to have made but that neighbors say was BS, and that they can't prove because there was no video footage?

Look, anybody can find all kinds of justifications for these murders of Black folks. Or they can change the subject to Black-on-Black crime, family values, reverse racism, "evil liberals" or whatever else they need so they can feel better about themselves.

Back to the OP ... I'm very proud of my friend and fellow alum, Glenn Rivers.

We Are Marquette! Black Lives Matter.

While Taylor did not deserve to be shot and killed and the police should be arrested, her boyfriend did shoot one of the officers upon their entering their apartment with a valid warrant:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/crime/2020/06/16/breonna-taylor-fact-check-7-rumors-wrong/5326938002/
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2020, 04:57:05 PM »
While Taylor did not deserve to be shot and killed and the police should be arrested, her boyfriend did shoot one of the officers upon their entering their apartment with a valid warrant:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/crime/2020/06/16/breonna-taylor-fact-check-7-rumors-wrong/5326938002/

A no knock warrant where they were plain clothed and smashing on the door in the middle of the night.

If it had been a white family, you'd hear people yelling "CASTLE DOCTRINE", and "STAND YOUR GROUND" from the rooftops.  The 2A people would be EVERYWHERE.

Instead, its crickets from those people.

Better to ask yourself, "Huh, why's that?" than to defend what happened.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2020, 05:10:10 PM »
A no knock warrant where they were plain clothed and smashing on the door in the middle of the night.

If it had been a white family, you'd hear people yelling "CASTLE DOCTRINE", and "STAND YOUR GROUND" from the rooftops.  The 2A people would be EVERYWHERE.

Instead, its crickets from those people.

Better to ask yourself, "Huh, why's that?" than to defend what happened.
"While Taylor did not deserve to be shot and killed and the police should be arrested"

Quit trying to undermined the cause with lies. There is enough evidence to support the cause without making stuff up. The poster made their feelings crystal clear.

The ugly hate and ignorance on both sides is so sad.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2020, 05:17:30 PM »
"While Taylor did not deserve to be shot and killed and the police should be arrested"

Quit trying to undermined the cause with lies. There is enough evidence to support the cause without making stuff up. The poster made their feelings crystal clear.

The ugly hate and ignorance on both sides is so sad.

Oh piss off, I can comment that no knocks are a terrible idea.  And I can also comment that the people who would usually be up in arms about this sort of thing are SILENT.  Nothing I said was a lie.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2020, 05:34:03 PM »

The police used a battering ram to break into the residence in the middle of the night without announcing themselves. Clearly the boyfriend thought their home was being invaded and he defended it with a lawfully possessed firearm.
And the prosecutor dismissed the indictment against the boyfriend, saying he was lawfully defending himself when he fired.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2020, 05:39:12 PM »
Oh piss off, I can comment that no knocks are a terrible idea.  And I can also comment that the people who would usually be up in arms about this sort of thing are SILENT.  Nothing I said was a lie.
What did the poster write that you disagree with? The poster said it was wrong and the cops should be arrested. Should the families of the cops be put in prison to make you happy?

I had no problem with your opinion but you completely ignored the actual post to advance your agenda. That is BS and untruthful.

I guess I'll just 'piss off'. Enjoy your day.