[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Proud of Doc Rivers  (Read 35094 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Proud of Doc Rivers
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2020, 05:46:21 PM »
What did the poster write that you disagree with? The poster said it was wrong and the cops should be arrested. Should the families of the cops be put in prison to make you happy?

I had no problem with your opinion but you completely ignored the actual post to advance your agenda. That is BS and untruthful.

I guess I'll just 'piss off'. Enjoy your day.

Calling it a warrant, while technically true, is doing it a disservice.   No knock warrants should be illegal because of situations exactly like this.  Outlaw them.  They're garbage and infringe on the rights of Americans.

I have no agenda, put down the airplane glue. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2020, 06:15:54 PM »
Calling it a warrant, while technically true, is doing it a disservice.   No knock warrants should be illegal because of situations exactly like this.  Outlaw them.  They're garbage and infringe on the rights of Americans.

I have no agenda, put down the airplane glue.
LOL! No agenda? Even a third grader can see your agenda. I don't even disagree with with your agenda but man up to defend it and don't hide behind a legitimate and factual post by painting that poster as bad.

As I asked before, besides arresting and trying them in court, what more do you want at this point?

I think honest and thoughtful people can debate the value of "no knock warrants", but that post didn't touch on that issue. You used it to promote your agenda.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2020, 06:26:34 PM »
You are just looking to disagree. I have been consistent in stating that all opinions matter and should be considered. From men or women. I just don't think being a celebrity gives you more credibility than anyone else, including you. This is just my humble opinion.

You said that first and foremost he was a coach.

I disagree and I think Doc would as well. First and foremost, he is a husband a father, and a man. That is what drives his opinion - not the fact that he is a coach. That is why he said, “All you hear [from] Donald Trump and all of them, talking about fear.  We’re the ones getting killed. We’re the ones getting shot. We’re the ones denied to live in certain communities. We’ve been hung. We’ve been shot. And all you do is keep hearing about fear.”

That was an injured man talking - not a coach.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2020, 06:35:28 PM »
Our jobs defining who we are is such an odd US thing.   

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2020, 07:16:13 PM »
Our jobs defining who we are is such an odd US thing.   

And ironically a Karl Marx thing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2020, 07:25:47 PM »
LOL! No agenda? Even a third grader can see your agenda. I don't even disagree with with your agenda but man up to defend it and don't hide behind a legitimate and factual post by painting that poster as bad.

As I asked before, besides arresting and trying them in court, what more do you want at this point?

I think honest and thoughtful people can debate the value of "no knock warrants", but that post didn't touch on that issue. You used it to promote your agenda.

It's literally the first thing I said.

Reading is fundamental.

The bolded part is a no-brainer, but it hasn't happened.  I want no knocks gone.

Why do I need to spell out the obvious for you twice in one post?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2020, 07:50:41 PM »
It's literally the first thing I said.

Reading is fundamental.

The bolded part is a no-brainer, but it hasn't happened.  I want no knocks gone.

Why do I need to spell out the obvious for you twice in one post?
The poster wrote the cops should be arrested. I didn't see where you posted it but regardless, you took issue with the post that called out the situation and the call for arrests.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2020, 08:18:51 PM »
The poster wrote the cops should be arrested. I didn't see where you posted it but regardless, you took issue with the post that called out the situation and the call for arrests.

Hards can speak for himself, but my impression is that he was calling out the part where Billy implied (wrongly) that Breona Taylor's boyfriend was to blame for what happened.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2020, 08:25:49 PM »
Hards can speak for himself, but my impression is that he was calling out the part where Billy implied (wrongly) that Breona Taylor's boyfriend was to blame for what happened.
He said they should be arrested. He was very clear about it. He obviously feels they are in the wrong.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2020, 08:50:51 PM »
He said they should be arrested. He was very clear about it. He obviously feels they are in the wrong.

Cool.
He also wrongly blamed Breonna Taylor's boyfriend. Unless you're his sock puppet account, your need to defend him is very odd.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2020, 09:04:58 PM »
Cool.
He also wrongly blamed Breonna Taylor's boyfriend. Unless you're his sock puppet account, your need to defend him is very odd.
The boyfriend is guilty but the cops should be arrested? How do you reconcile that?

You are right. I shouldn't be defending someone I don't know. I just get mad when a just movement is polluted with BS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2020, 09:32:24 PM »
The boyfriend is guilty but the cops should be arrested? How do you reconcile that?

Ask him. He's the one who wrote it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2020, 09:45:48 PM »
Again, Breonna Taylor did nothing wrong and her boyfriend was exonerated.

Had they been white and had Breonna survived, they’d have been invited to speak at this week’s Lie-A-Thon for heroically standing their ground.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2020, 10:18:50 PM »
I get it now. "No agenda". Thanks for the conversation.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2020, 12:37:32 AM »
I would agree. But I'm not supporting or promoting any opinion other than be careful who you listen to. I am no expert on race relations or police policies. Doc is no expert and either is the Republican, Kanye West.

IMHO we should listen to experts in their fields, be it politics or COVID or sports, etc. Doc is an expert in basketball. I'm proud that he is an MU alum and I'd take him as our coach any day.

We will agree to disagree on this. Regardless of platforms, I like to look at who the person is not who the media proclaims them to be.
I'm sorry but I don't recall people saying "Bill Bradley is an expert in basketball" and therefore should not be listened to when he spoke about tax reform or the rights of Native Americans. 

Doc has more relevant personal experience with the issues in the dialogue that is relevant today than nearly any man alive (MU issues, Atlanta house, Donald Sterling) and has also proven during his career to be a great leader.  I'm happy to listen to Doc on this subject and wish he would speak up and speak out more thereby using his position of notoriety as a platform for the change that is necessary in our society because in his case the notoriety gets the attention but the substance behind it is what will make the change. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2020, 01:21:17 AM »
Cool.

Stating facts is not blaming.

-there was a warrant
-the cops knocked
-the boyfriend shot In what was likely legally self defense
-the police engaged in extreme behavior that resulted in Taylor’s death (but not in her bed as has been claimed) and should be arrested.

I realize that in today’s environment being in the middle and taking a principled approach is one thing both sides oppose. You have to choose your “facts” depending upon your political persuasion and stick with them regardless. As the article I posted showed, there are myths perpetuated by both sides. Apparently it wrong to seek the whole story. This is how we ended up with Trump.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2020, 01:31:57 AM »

-there was a warrant
-the cops knocked
-the police engaged in extreme behavior that resulted in Taylor’s death (but not in her bed as has been claimed) and should be arrested.

I realize that in today’s environment being in the middle and taking a principled approach is one thing both sides oppose. You have to choose your “facts” depending upon your political persuasion and stick with them regardless. As the article I posted showed, there are myths perpetuated by both sides, the same which is being done in Kenosha. Apparently it wrong to seek the whole story. This is how we ended up with Trump.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2020, 05:35:32 AM »

-there was a warrant
-the cops knocked

I realize that in today’s environment being in the middle and taking a principled approach is one thing both sides oppose. You have to choose your “facts” depending upon your political persuasion and stick with them regardless. As the article I posted showed, there are myths perpetuated by both sides. Apparently it wrong to seek the whole story. This is how we ended up with Trump.

Those facts are very much up for debate.  In the article you linked, the cops claim to have announced their presence, a claim that is refuted by Breonna's boyfriend, and the neighbors.  Additionally, why have a no knock warrant and be in plain clothes if you're going to immediately announce you're the police here to execute a warrant?  Pretty strange, ain'it?

This is where I take issue.  People blindly believe police officers because they have never been mistreated by them.  Ever make a mistake, and realize that a simple white lie can change the narrative?  The police are counting on the average (white) person to believe them no matter what.  This is also why no knock warrants are terrible without body cams.  Because now we have no idea what happened for sure, and an innocent woman is dead.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2020, 06:49:47 AM »
Hey ... about Glenn Rivers ...

So proud of him! Really rooting for his Clippers now because I want to see him hoist that trophy.

In the real world, NBA games and even championships are relatively trivial. But still ... they are playing, and his team has a legit shot, and I'd like to see the great Marquette alum - and great human being - win the title.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2020, 12:12:05 PM »
Those facts are very much up for debate.  In the article you linked, the cops claim to have announced their presence, a claim that is refuted by Breonna's boyfriend, and the neighbors.  Additionally, why have a no knock warrant and be in plain clothes if you're going to immediately announce you're the police here to execute a warrant?  Pretty strange, ain'it?

This is where I take issue.  People blindly believe police officers because they have never been mistreated by them. Ever make a mistake, and realize that a simple white lie can change the narrative?  The police are counting on the average (white) person to believe them no matter what.  This is also why no knock warrants are terrible without body cams.  Because now we have no idea what happened for sure, and an innocent woman is dead.

people also believe everything they read on the internet from their chosen sources.  For example" "Jacob Blake raped a 14 year old," "a police officer in Oakland was killed by a BLM protester," and "the Portland rioters are right wing agents and provocatures." Don't forget, the riots in Chicago were triggered by a false Twitter post saying a 15 year old boy had been murdered by police when in fact it was a 20 year old suspect with a gun who was running for police...and he was not killed.

Instead of taking social media postings at face value to gin up outrage how about we dig deeper to find out the truth before we react.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2020, 12:42:07 PM »
people also believe everything they read on the internet from their chosen sources.  For example" "Jacob Blake raped a 14 year old," "a police officer in Oakland was killed by a BLM protester," and "the Portland rioters are right wing agents and provocatures." Don't forget, the riots in Chicago were triggered by a false Twitter post saying a 15 year old boy had been murdered by police when in fact it was a 20 year old suspect with a gun who was running for police...and he was not killed.

Instead of taking social media postings at face value to gin up outrage how about we dig deeper to find out the truth before we react.

I'm not sure I've taken social media postings at face value, so I don't disagree.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2020, 12:51:54 PM »
Hey ... about Glenn Rivers ...

So proud of him! Really rooting for his Clippers now because I want to see him hoist that trophy.

In the real world, NBA games and even championships are relatively trivial. But still ... they are playing, and his team has a legit shot, and I'd like to see the great Marquette alum - and great human being - win the title.

+1

Love that Rivers is speaking out and I feel that Marquette's basketball alums and current players have acquitted themselves very well in this environment. Clearly they got the message of Cura Personalis.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2020, 01:07:18 PM »

Not just social media. This morning on a sports radio show, I think ESPN Radio but I could be wrong, they stated that Jacob Blake was killed.

This movement is too important to be diluted by misinformation.

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2020, 01:57:33 PM »
Most posters don't understand the role Bill Russell played in the development of the NBA.  He had the courage to risk everything to speak out on racial injustice.  You do not forfeit your right to make a political statement if you are an All American or an All Star.  To say "shut up and dribble" is un-American. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/27/bill-russell-nba-boycott/

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2020, 02:14:09 PM »
Most posters don't understand the role Bill Russell played in the development of the NBA.  He had the courage to risk everything to speak out on racial injustice.  You do not forfeit your right to make a political statement if you are an All American or an All Star.  To say "shut up and dribble" is un-American. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/27/bill-russell-nba-boycott/

I think these same people are not quite so offended when a white All Star speaks out.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 02:16:24 PM by Jockey »