[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Proud of Doc Rivers  (Read 34385 times)

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
Proud of Doc Rivers
« on: August 26, 2020, 08:57:39 AM »
Doc Rivers represents the best of the Marquette family.  I'm proud of him and the other current and past players and coaches who are standing up for the real American Dream of equality and justice.  They refuse to "shut up and dribble." https://twitter.com/i/status/1298475639863992321

MU82

• All American
Re: Proud of Doc Rivers
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 09:45:44 AM »
A truly fine human being.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 11:00:36 AM »
This board is hot garbage.  I used to come here for MU hoops news/opinion.  Like everything else in 2020, it's been destroyed by an active vocal minority (5000+ posters who love to hear themselves talk) who look at everything through a political lens.  I'm done.  Deleting my account.  Good riddance.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 11:03:00 AM »
This board is hot garbage.  I used to come here for MU hoops news/opinion.  Like everything else in 2020, it's been destroyed by an active vocal minority (5000+ posters who love to hear themselves talk) who look at everything through a political lens.  I'm done.  Deleting my account.  Good riddance.

Yes, TheTulsaWarrior, with his 144 total posts loves to hear himself talk.  LOL.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 11:12:36 AM »

lol

Of all the threads you pick to throw a tantrum about, its this one?

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 11:13:30 AM »

Ok? Bye

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 11:30:42 AM »

Irony.

I think it stems from the term "Special snowflake", meaning unique, delicate and mentally fragile.  Falls under the "participation prize" umbrella.  IE "Well, aren't you a special snowflake!" It is used to describe someone w weak emotional fortitude, someone who needs constant validation and positive reinforcement but is in actuality a giant vagina. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 11:46:27 AM »

Imagine being this fragile.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 12:08:00 PM »

Did you consider starting basketball related topics?  A lineup thread started yesterday
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 12:35:53 PM »
While I agree this is not the place for this topic, you can do what most do and ignore the posts.

This has been a great site for MU basketball but I would never come here for COVID or political news or insight.

I don't care what athletes have to say about political issues and I don't care what CBS News has to say about sports.

I like Doc and he is entitled to his opinions but it carries as much weight as my next door neighbor (who I also like).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 12:49:42 PM »
Yeah! Shut up and dribble!

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 01:12:47 PM »
Yeah! Shut up and dribble!
What part of "he is entitled to his opinions" = "Shut up and dribble"?

I find it offensive to give more credibility to a celebrity and multi-millionaire that other regular citizens of this country. This happens way to frequently with both Democrats and Republicans.     

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 01:20:24 PM »

I find it offensive to give more credibility to a celebrity and multi-millionaire that other regular citizens of this country. This happens way to frequently with both Democrats and Republicans.     

I don't know if this is "credible," but when someone famous gets behind something, it certainly carries more weight than if your next door neighbor does.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 01:27:57 PM »

I don't know if this is "credible," but when someone famous gets behind something, it certainly carries more weight than if your next door neighbor does.
That's my point. Thank you.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 02:09:10 PM »

IMO, Doc is a little bit more than a celebrity. He is a leader of a highly visible organization. And the way he handled the Clippers during the whole Donald Stirling incident kind of elevated him into a rare position regarding race relations within the NBA. And he has always handled that moral authority with grace, intelligence, and compassion. Just my 2 cents.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 02:35:50 PM »
IMO, Doc is a little bit more than a celebrity. He is a leader of a highly visible organization. And the way he handled the Clippers during the whole Donald Stirling incident kind of elevated him into a rare position regarding race relations within the NBA. And he has always handled that moral authority with grace, intelligence, and compassion. Just my 2 cents.
Fair enough. I didn't intend to shut down this thread. I respect all opinions. IMHO, sports people and other celebrities are given way to much credibility in regards to many issues. But I'm just some random poster looking for MU info so it really doesn't matter.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 02:43:23 PM »

This.

Some “celebrities” (like some salesmen, plumbers, teachers, accountants, etc.) are interesting people with informed opinions. I consider Doc in this group. So (agree or disagree) when he speaks I pay attention. But no closer than I do to lots of other folks I know who are not “famous”.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 02:50:19 PM »
Like it or not, celebrities have a pulpit.    Doc used his.    Many celebrities and athletes have been condemned for NOT using their fame to make a statement.     Damned if you do, damned if you don't.    And if that is the case, be damned for something you believe to be right.    It is easier to take criticism with a clear conscience. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2020, 02:56:58 PM »
If I had celebrity I would no doubt be using it to promote my thoughts including Marquette basketball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 02:58:31 PM »
Most of us have MU degrees and feel that education give credence to our opinions. Doc Rivers falls into this group as well. He also has a platform for which he can display his voice. I can understand those that call for Kanye or Kyrie or Lebron "stay in their lane" (Whether or not I agree) but when that extends to educated individuals, that literally have the same education as those who would have him hush up. I cannot figure that logic out.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2020, 03:23:24 PM »
Kerr and Popovich have used their pulpit.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2020, 03:30:09 PM »
+1,000.

Go, Doc!

And bye, Felicia Mods, Delete
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2020, 03:50:47 PM »
Kerr and Popovich have used their pulpit.
They are 100% entitled to their opinion. Just remember they are basketball coaches first and foremost.

Remember, Kerr made the error of stating the NBA had no rule against not standing for the anthem but the NFL did. 100% wrong.

Is he a bad guy, No. But he and other celebrities and sports icons are not the best source of information.   

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2020, 04:17:51 PM »
It is easier to take criticism with a clear conscience.
I think our president the perfect example of this.

Not that it matters, but I think Trump is an ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2020, 04:19:27 PM »
Just remember they are basketball coaches first and foremost.

So?

feedback