[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Proud of Doc Rivers  (Read 34391 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Proud of Doc Rivers
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2020, 04:19:34 PM »
They are 100% entitled to their opinion. Just remember they are basketball coaches first and foremost.

Remember, Kerr made the error of stating the NBA had no rule against not standing for the anthem but the NFL did. 100% wrong.

Is he a bad guy, No. But he and other celebrities and sports icons are not the best source of information.   

The point is they have influence that you or I don't have.  (Assuming you're not famous.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 04:21:08 PM »
They are 100% entitled to their opinion. Just remember they are basketball coaches first and foremost.

Remember, Kerr made the error of stating the NBA had no rule against not standing for the anthem but the NFL did. 100% wrong.

Is he a bad guy, No. But he and other celebrities and sports icons are not the best source of information.   

When you form an opinion does someone say "you're entitled to your opinion but just remember he's a business person (guessing? Idk what you do) first and foremost so he's not the best source of information" what do you then say to lend credence to your opinion?
Maigh Eo for Sam

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2020, 04:39:25 PM »
When you form an opinion does someone say "you're entitled to your opinion but just remember he's a business person (guessing? Idk what you do) first and foremost so he's not the best source of information" what do you then say to lend credence to your opinion?
I would agree. But I'm not supporting or promoting any opinion other than be careful who you listen to. I am no expert on race relations or police policies. Doc is no expert and either is the Republican, Kanye West.

IMHO we should listen to experts in their fields, be it politics or COVID or sports, etc. Doc is an expert in basketball. I'm proud that he is an MU alum and I'd take him as our coach any day.

We will agree to disagree on this. Regardless of platforms, I like to look at who the person is not who the media proclaims them to be.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2020, 04:43:26 PM »
I would agree. But I'm not supporting or promoting any opinion other than be careful who you listen to. I am no expert on race relations or police policies. Doc is no expert and either is the Republican, Kanye West.

IMHO we should listen to experts in their fields, be it politics or COVID or sports, etc. Doc is an expert in basketball. I'm proud that he is an MU alum and I'd take him as our coach any day.

We will agree to disagree on this. Regardless of platforms, I like to look at who the person is not who the media proclaims them to be.

I'd agree with you ... except you are not an expert in the field of "who others should listen to."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2020, 04:47:16 PM »
Doc received death threats while at Marquette because of who he fell in love with.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2020, 04:48:53 PM »
So?
So? Do you take tax opinions from your doctor? Do you get your news from the Comedy Channel? Do you call a veterinarian if your car gets stolen?

I support people's rights to agree with or be swayed by celebrities but I don't have to agree with it. (That they should listen to celebrities; I am not commenting on Doc's comments because it is not what I have an issue with)   

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2020, 04:51:58 PM »
I'd agree with you ... except you are not an expert in the field of "who others should listen to."
100% agree. I am not. Just a random internet poster. I support the freedom to read, agree and disagree with any thoughts.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2020, 05:05:31 PM »

While I agree with you about Kanye West, not because he supports Trump, but because he's an uneducated, bipolar individual with a huge God complex. Disclaimer: The middle is not an issue for the average joe but with his platform added to being uneducated and having a God complex then yes it's a problem.

Back to Doc, he's a black american who grew up in an era where there was still discrimination and grew up in a predominantly high crime black neighborhood just west of an unbelievably stuffy wealthy white neighborhood and just south of a super racist blue collar neighborhood. Then went to an extremely white private school for upper middle class individuals where he fell in love with a White girl. So I would say that makes him entitled to give "expert" takes on the matter of race relations from an educated black man's perspective who's likely seen it from all sides.

I agree with you about a lot of celebrities just that tweet out stupid things and hop on the next SJW cause but there are certain very well educated celebrities that do have extensive life experience beyond sports or Hollywood and I do not believe it's worth muzzling them because "they're [celebrities] first and foremost".
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2020, 05:22:36 PM »
So? Do you take tax opinions from your doctor? Do you get your news from the Comedy Channel? Do you call a veterinarian if your car gets stolen?

I support people's rights to agree with or be swayed by celebrities but I don't have to agree with it. (That they should listen to celebrities; I am not commenting on Doc's comments because it is not what I have an issue with)

So whose opinions are worth hearing on matters of racial injustice?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2020, 05:35:23 PM »
Good job Doc.  He has the life experiences to be credible and the notoriety to hopefully make a difference. Good for him. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2020, 06:00:52 PM »
So whose opinions are worth hearing on matters of racial injustice?
I have never said anyone's opinion does not matter. I only said that that celebrity's opinions don't matter more than anyone else.

That said, I would value an attorney's opinion mostly. Not exclusively. I also like to think that there are some fair minded news reporters. Just my opinion which doesn't mean much.

Let's get everyone educated and out to vote. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2020, 06:18:24 PM »
Silence is violence.

Good for celebrities for speaking up.  I hope they continue to do so.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2020, 06:20:13 PM »
Silence is violence.

Good for celebrities for speaking up.  I hope they continue to do so.

They don’t like when they protest silently by kneeling.  They don’t like when they speak up.  Maybe they just don’t like them at all.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2020, 06:30:15 PM »
Doc received death threats while at Marquette because of who he fell in love with.

his teammates turned against him too.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2020, 07:32:04 PM »
Yes, he knows about it, he lived it!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2020, 08:31:01 PM »
#fellinlove

You sound like my 13 year old daughter.

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2020, 08:58:45 PM »
In defense of my initial post, Doc Rivers is a Marquette icon and one of the most respected voices in not only the nation's basketball community but in the African American Community.  Was it a political statement or simply voicing Marquette's mission statement of "being the difference." 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 09:59:23 PM by TheTulsaWarrior »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2020, 09:01:21 PM »
@MarquetteU: We stand with the @Bucks.

We stand with the @Brewers

We stand with our state.

We stand for racial justice.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2020, 09:14:01 PM »
Black Lives Matter.

We love you, Glenn.

We Are Marquette!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2020, 09:50:01 PM »
I defense of my initial post, Doc Rivers is a Marquette icon and one of the most respected voices in not only the nation's basketball community but in the African American Community.  Was it a political statement or simply voicing Marquette's mission statement of "being the difference."

It embarrasses me that you feel the need to defend a wonderful initial post.  I would like to express support for Doc as well, and state that this is not the first time I've been proud that he is associated with the same alma mater as I am.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2020, 07:51:47 AM »
It embarrasses me that you feel the need to defend a wonderful initial post.  I would like to express support for Doc as well, and state that this is not the first time I've been proud that he is associated with the same alma mater as I am.

Amen and amen.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2020, 10:10:14 AM »
#fellinlove

You sound like my 13 year old daughter.

Do you.... do you think 13 year old girls are the only ones who believe in love?

#toomanlyforlove
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2020, 10:17:28 AM »
Yes......why why yes I do.
#softy

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2020, 10:23:36 AM »
#softy

I'm sure she'll appreciate your toast at her wedding some day where you substitute the word "love" for "carnal lust"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2020, 10:30:22 AM »
#softy

Toxic masculinity on full display.

feedback