[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anyone do I.F.?  (Read 9260 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Anyone do I.F.?
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2020, 08:39:00 AM »
Y'all need ta reed, Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, M.D., hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2020, 08:40:24 AM »
For what it's worth, there are at least some researchers who point to fructose (i.e. the sugar in fruit) as being uniquely harmful.

https://peterattiamd.com/rickjohnson/

Though, to your point, a clear distinction is made between fructose + fiber (e.g. eating a whole piece of fruit) vs fructose with no fiber (e.g. drinking a high fructose corn syrup sweetened beverage, like a Coke).

Not a scientist/doctor and can't comment on the veracity of this podcast, but it's interesting to think about and passes the smell test, so it could be plausible.

If you can't even eat fruit, I would just as soon die earlier.  What is the point of a longer life if it is not enjoyable?
Have some patience, FFS.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2020, 08:42:01 AM »
Y'all need ta reed, Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, M.D., hey?

From Wikipedia:

"Career
Perlmutter is the author of health books, and is known for advocating a functional and holistic approach toward treating brain disorders.[2][4][5] Perlmutter serves as a medical advisor for The Dr. Oz Show and Men's Health.[6][7]"

So... that'll be a big nope from me.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2020, 08:44:28 AM »
If you can't even eat fruit, I would just as soon die earlier.  What is the point of a longer life if it is not enjoyable?

I guess I wasn't trying to say fruit is evil and must be destroyed, merely that there are some researchers looking into the ways that different sugars are metabolized and that some have the opinion that fructose is worse for you than other carbohydrates. It's interesting to note, and like someone said above, moderation is probably key here.

I call fruit nature's candy. It's delicious.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2020, 09:01:36 AM »
Ta each der own, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2020, 09:26:58 AM »
Of course to each their own.  But we could probably stand to knock off the processed foods entirely.

People should probably stick to eating the things we've been eating for millions of years.  Spam isn't one of those.  Whole grain bread is great for you.  Nutritionally, high fiber content, vitamins abound.  Now, if you eat that bleached white flour Wonderbread?  Yeah, that's not so good.

A reasonable question to ask yourself if you're not sure what to eat, or if the latest fad diet is going to work is, "Is this something that people could have eaten two hundred years ago?"  If yes, then it is probably a good idea.

I'm not saying all preservatives are bad, but eating them daily is not a good idea.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2020, 09:58:31 AM »
People who bemoan grains and sugar as the devil probably overindulge... and that is their true problem.  Our society has a sugar addiction, and it shows.

But there are sugars and there are sugars.  Added sugars and simple sugars are not good for you.  Skipping fruit because they have sugar in them?  Stupidity.

Start reading what the ingredients are in your food and you'll realize just how many foods that are supposedly good still have added simple sugar including most whole grain breads. Are they better than wonder bread and standard hot dog buns? Absolutely. But it's really out of control just how much sugar is in the American diet.

Also I stand by jfickle's point about how it is metabolized. There's a lot of evidence that a carb is a carb is a carb. Just some come with other ingredients (fiber, vitamins) and make them better in different areas.

One thing people should agree on is vegans are suckers pulled into a 7th day Adventist funded campaign that exponentially increases their carb intake to an unhealthy level.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2020, 10:13:54 AM »
Start reading what the ingredients are in your food and you'll realize just how many foods that are supposedly good still have added simple sugar including most whole grain breads. Are they better than wonder bread and standard hot dog buns? Absolutely. But it's really out of control just how much sugar is in the American diet.

Also I stand by jfickle's point about how it is metabolized. There's a lot of evidence that a carb is a carb is a carb. Just some come with other ingredients (fiber, vitamins) and make them better in different areas.

One thing people should agree on is vegans are suckers pulled into a 7th day Adventist funded campaign that exponentially increases their carb intake to an unhealthy level.

I'm very careful with what I buy. :)  Also, yes a carb is a carb.  But that doesn't mean they are poison.  That seems to be the implication around here.

And don't get me started on the "Keto" diet.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2020, 10:27:49 AM »
I'm very careful with what I buy. :)  Also, yes a carb is a carb.  But that doesn't mean they are poison.  That seems to be the implication around here.

And don't get me started on the "Keto" diet.

I'm not saying that a keto diet is the way to go, but I do want to point out that they have something behind the claim by Ancel Keys that started America on the whole low fat thing to begin with that suspiciously correlated directly with an increase in Heart disease and diabetes.

At the end of the day there's multiple ways to skin a cat but someone sitting around questioning why they're always hungry eating chicken and rice might want to try a Keto or Modified Atkins diet
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:33:54 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2020, 11:10:10 AM »
I'm not saying that a keto diet is the way to go, but I do want to point out that they have something behind the claim by Ancel Keys that started America on the whole low fat thing to begin with that suspiciously correlated directly with an increase in Heart disease and diabetes.

At the end of the day there's multiple ways to skin a cat but someone sitting around questioning why they're always hungry eating chicken and rice might want to try a Keto or Modified Atkins diet

I guess.  Or there are just a lot of people who don't know what actual hunger is.  Our culture tells us to eat by a clock, and that we need "three square meals" per day.  It is fine to be hungry, and most of the time that hunger can be fixed by drinking some water or tea.  Another major barrier that we face culturally with food is that we were probably all told to eat what was put in front of you... because of the starving kids in Africa, or to be a part of the clean plate club... or whatever each of us has been told in our lives.  We eat too much food, and we eat it too fast. 

Want to lose weight?  Cook your own meals at home and in smaller portions.  When you're done eating, drink a glass of water and set an alarm for 20 minutes.  If you were considering seconds because, "That wasn't enough food", you might be surprised that you're actually full now.

Low fat diet has crazy ties to the sugar/HFC lobby.  Our bodies (specifically our brain) require fats, and an entire generation was lead to believe that fats make you fat.  And I can tell you from daily experience, a lot of them are still convinced that fat is bad.  So instead they reach for the 'low fat' ranch.  Which is loaded with garbage and most importantly sodium.    Which causes hypertension.

Keto diet and Atkins are generally okay.  But people still over eat.  Excessive proteins consumed break down into fats and carbs.  Which is where people go wrong. 

Is someone a grazer?  Don't buy foods they can graze on.  Instead of a snack of chips (or something fast), having to put in the work of cooking an egg (or whatever) makes them think twice about what they're consuming. 

Simple advice:  Eat less food, with less additives, and cook it yourself.  Drink more water, and eat more slowly.  The older you get, the more this applies.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2020, 11:18:30 AM »
I guess.  Or there are just a lot of people who don't know what actual hunger is.  Our culture tells us to eat by a clock, and that we need "three square meals" per day.  It is fine to be hungry, and most of the time that hunger can be fixed by drinking some water or tea.  Another major barrier that we face culturally with food is that we were probably all told to eat what was put in front of you... because of the starving kids in Africa, or to be a part of the clean plate club... or whatever each of us has been told in our lives.  We eat too much food, and we eat it too fast. 

Want to lose weight?  Cook your own meals at home and in smaller portions.  When you're done eating, drink a glass of water and set an alarm for 20 minutes.  If you were considering seconds because, "That wasn't enough food", you might be surprised that you're actually full now.

Low fat diet has crazy ties to the sugar/HFC lobby.  Our bodies (specifically our brain) require fats, and an entire generation was lead to believe that fats make you fat.  And I can tell you from daily experience, a lot of them are still convinced that fat is bad.  So instead they reach for the 'low fat' ranch.  Which is loaded with garbage and most importantly sodium.    Which causes hypertension.

Keto diet and Atkins are generally okay.  But people still over eat.  Excessive proteins consumed break down into fats and carbs.  Which is where people go wrong. 

Is someone a grazer?  Don't buy foods they can graze on.  Instead of a snack of chips (or something fast), having to put in the work of cooking an egg (or whatever) makes them think twice about what they're consuming. 

Simple advice:  Eat less food, with less additives, and cook it yourself.  Drink more water, and eat more slowly.  The older you get, the more this applies.

This is generally where I fall as well. Except with snacking, I believe in unseasoned pork rinds, macadamia nuts, or Almonds are usually dense and fatty enough to do the trick in small quantities if the meal didn't do it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2020, 11:23:17 AM »
This is generally where I fall as well. Except with snacking, I believe in unseasoned pork rinds, macadamia nuts, or Almonds are usually dense and fatty enough to do the trick in small quantities if the meal didn't do it.

Snacking is fine, but people tend to turn 'snacks' into meals by accident.  Some folks have very little control when it comes to food.  Nuts and homemade dehydrated foods are my go to snacks... but a big bin of unsalted peanut free mixed nuts from Costco usually lasts me months. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2020, 12:06:59 PM »
BACON!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2020, 12:18:20 PM »

Sounds great.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2020, 12:25:33 PM »

Sounds great.

I hear you.  Getting old sucks, can't eat everything you see anymore.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2020, 01:10:02 PM »
BACON!

Irish/English bacon? Canadian bacon? American streaky bacon? Duck bacon? Pork belly bacon? Bacon bits?
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2020, 01:12:04 PM »
I hear you.  Getting old sucks, can't eat everything you see anymore.

I know.  I actually don't.  I don't really follow a strict diet of any sort - eat less, move more.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2020, 01:46:14 PM »
Irish/English bacon? Canadian bacon? American streaky bacon? Duck bacon? Pork belly bacon? Bacon bits?

All of it
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2020, 01:54:38 PM »

I just cooked up some jowl bacon for a pasta sauce.  That count?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2020, 02:53:21 PM »
I just cooked up some jowl bacon for a pasta sauce.  That count?

Have to add some bacon (ideally pancetta) to homemade sauce.... mmmmmm

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2020, 03:02:14 PM »
All of it

Only the ones that hards approves of.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2020, 03:02:51 PM »
People who bemoan grains and sugar as the devil probably overindulge... and that is their true problem.  Our society has a sugar addiction, and it shows.

But there are sugars and there are sugars.  Added sugars and simple sugars are not good for you.  Skipping fruit because they have sugar in them?  Stupidity.

Eating fruit in its whole form is fine.  Blending/pureeing largely eliminates value and spikes blood sugar which ultimately isn't good.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2020, 03:12:29 PM »
Eating fruit in its whole form is fine.  Blending/pureeing largely eliminates value and spikes blood sugar which ultimately isn't good.

Not necessarily. There's loads of fruit that are extremely high in sugar and your body metabolized it no different than candy. It just comes with vitamins. Mango bananas and grapes come to mind as absurdly high in sugar. Berries limes and lemons are great
Maigh Eo for Sam

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2020, 03:37:16 PM »
Not necessarily. There's loads of fruit that are extremely high in sugar and your body metabolized it no different than candy. It just comes with vitamins. Mango bananas and grapes come to mind as absurdly high in sugar. Berries limes and lemons are great

One of the things I've heard by way of the podcast series I linked way above, is essentially that fructose needs to be metabolized into glucose to be utilized by the body. This happens in the liver, which stresses the liver, which is one of the factors that can lead to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (a high fructose diet that is). Apparently fiber in whole fruits (not sure how blending affects this, but whole vs fluids/syrups) allows some of the fructose to pass to the gut where the gut microbiome takes on the work of breaking down the fructose and shifts the burden off of the liver.

So to the point of those saying processed bad, whole/natural good, this would tend to support that.

I don't know how the various fruits are in comparison to one another besides the rule of thumb I've once read that tropical fruits tend to be higher in sugar. And then that begs the question of how they compare in the sense of their fiber content.

Anyone got a CGM and feel like doing glucose disposal tests with a bunch of different fruits to see which ones spike blood sugar the most?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2020, 04:19:28 PM »
spiking blood sugar isn't inherently bad.  Your body uses sugar for fuel.  The problem comes in when we knock down a bottle of soda, a bag of potato chips, and some twizzlers.  Just ask Wilford Brimley... oh wait, we can't.  He gowne.

feedback