[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Op Ed by Incoming MU Student  (Read 7354 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 04:10:55 PM by mu_hilltopper »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
Re: Excellent Op Ed by Incoming MU Student
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 09:17:49 PM »
This again?   She made a video.   Her right.  Others judged her for it.  Their right.   Now she is just trying to extend her 15 minutes in the spotlight.   Again, her right.   Others will again judge her.   Their right.   She will go full snowflake.   Her chico-esque right.

None of her rights have been violated.   Tired.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 09:18:57 PM »
Poor thing got all the way to the 2nd second sentence before crying victim.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 08:21:14 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 10:13:14 PM »
Who the heck is advising this poor kid?
Four or five years from now, this kid is going to go looking for a job, and when potential employers Google her name, this is what they're going to find. Unless that potential employer is OAN, she's screwed.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 10:26:41 PM »
Geez, that site asked me 7 times if I wanted to subscribe or make their page my homepage.

I'm always amused when a person cries about their free speech being stifled in one breath and then demands that another person's free speech by stifled in the next. Death threats and bullying are never acceptable, and Marquette PD investigated those that crossed the line. But calling someone a bigot for something that they post online is as much free speech as anything that this young woman put out there. If you can't handle your political views being criticized, don't post them online.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 10:34:23 PM »
She sounds like a meat summiter.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 10:50:22 PM »
Four or five years from now, this kid is going to go looking for a job, and when potential employers Google her name, this is what they're going to find. Unless that potential employer is OAN, she's screwed.

Jacob Wohl

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 10:53:58 PM »
Wow. What a martyr. Thank you for your service.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 07:45:23 AM »
Poor thing got all the way to the 2nd second before crying victim.

"Actually, for conservatives, that’s exactly what we face every day thanks to cancel culture. "

Oh dear lord...  A lot of growing up to do.  Hopefully she will use her Marquette experience to its fullest.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 08:13:56 AM »
This must be a headache for the MU administration. Though one they brought on themselves by not putting a stop to the antics of all 3 of them at the start.

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 08:19:20 AM »
This must be a headache for the MU administration. Though one they brought on themselves by not putting a stop to the antics of all 3 of them at the start.

I'm not exactly sure what Marquette could have done differently.  They don't actively monitor every student's social media account continuously.

She took a relatively routine couseling process and turned herself into a victim.  And of course people lapped it up because nuance is lost on so many.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 08:24:33 AM »
Nah, she has already figured out that there is an entire sub-industry on the right dedicated to supporting those who cry about how victimized they are.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 08:32:28 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what Marquette could have done differently.  They don't actively monitor every student's social media account continuously.

She took a relatively routine couseling process and turned herself into a victim.  And of course people lapped it up because nuance is lost on so many.

Marquette could have done:
  • talked with student A about appropriate use of social media
  • Told student B that reporting a student based on political views is not appropriate
  • Told student C that harassment and inciting others to harass is not appropriate
  • Given probation to b and c for harassment
  • Given student A probation for her inappropriateness during the past month

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 08:33:21 AM »

OH trust me, she has already swung this into multiple internships and now has much more academic support then before.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 08:41:14 AM »
  • Told student B that reporting a student based on political views is not appropriate
  • Told student C that harassment and inciting others to harass is not appropriate

Marquette spoke to all of the students in question.  No one should have received probation.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2020, 09:29:30 AM »

They did that.

I'm sure they talked to student B but not about this. Despite student A trying to make this about the Trump video, every article about this situation has mentioned that she was accused of making racist, transphobic, and homophobic comments on her social media. We don't know what exactly she said because she has since deleted the comments and none of the articles actually have a direct quote of what she said. Reporting a student for allegedly posting hate speech on social media is appropriate and is not reporting someone based on political views.

We don't know specifically what student C said (if it has been posted somewhere I missed it). If it crossed the line into threats or bullying I'm sure there was a conversation. If it didn't cross the line but was rather just student C disagreeing with student A's politics or calling them a bigot, then that is free speech and Marquette should not talk to them.

Probation is not something that universities can just put students on. There is legally mandated due process that must be followed. They must be found responsible for violating a university rule or policy. I guarantee you there is no rule that prohibits someone from reporting another student for hate speech, so probation is out of the question for student B. Student C, it would depend on what they actually said/did. But we value free speech in this country so the standard for harassment is very high. Personally in 8 years of doing this work, I can't think of a single case where a political argument that was solely on social media resulted in substantiated harassment charges for either side unless one or both engaged in direct threats or used a racial slur (usually the N-Word). And I have seen several dozen of these cases over the years.

Same answer as the one for students B and C. But also, you think this situation would be less of a "headache for the MU administration" if they put her on probation? All she had to do was talk to some dean and answer some reflective questions. I can't imagine the size of the tantrum she would be throwing if Marquette had actually punished her in any way. Plus there would  be some legitimacy to her tantrum because Marquette actually took action against her. At the very least FIRE would be all over MU.

I said it in the original thread about this situation. She has every right to us her free speech to post her political views and the alleged hate speech on social media. Her detractors have every right to use their free speech to call her a bigot, homophobe, racist, idiot, etc for posting her views and alleged hate speech. God bless the first amendment.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:40:13 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »

I said it in the original thread about this situation. She has every right to us her free speech to post her political views and the alleged hate speech on social media. Her detractors have every right to use their free speech to call her a bigot, homophobe, racist, idiot, etc for posting her views and alleged hate speech. God bless the first amendment.

I agree with this analysis, the problem is she did so using the Marquette brand and therein lies the conundrum for the university.   The last thing MU wants is to be perceived as a school that attracts an abundance of racists homophobes and xenophobes, and that's a serious concern.  They're having enough trouble meeting enrollment goals as it is without these kinds of distractions so this is definitely unwanted attention.

At the same time, they should not be in the business of monitoring students' social media activity as it relates to speech.  Even if said speech is anathema to the university's mission.   This idea that all incoming or existing students must reflect the values of the institution itself is ridiculous!  That will never happen.  Now If students are threatening physical harm or verbally abusing other students through social media that's a different issue that would need to be addressed.

What MU should have done is to have politely reached out to this student and simply said to them you're fine to express whatever views you want on social media but please don't use any MU imagery when you do.   That in itself might be a violation of free speech, I'm not sure as I'm not a constitutional lawyer but it seems to me it's a reasonable response.

MU could have told the existing students they're addressing the issue quietly with the incoming student and that should have been that.  The existing students I'm sure would still advocate for rescinding the incoming student's admission but MU should not have empowered them further and just let it be. 

In my view, MU has exhibited gross incompetence in this matter and would benefit greatly from the counsel of some our distinguished alums who are C-Suite communications officers for some of this country's largest corporations.  Some of them may even be regulars on this board. 

I've told some of the administrators that I keep in touch with as much.  MU has absolutely nothing to gain from any of this.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 11:00:41 AM by Disco Hippie »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2020, 11:02:04 AM »
Very well written analysis by incoming MU Student.

https://www.westernjournal.com/op-ed-almost-got-kicked-marquettes-incoming-class-support-trump-story/?ff_source=twitter&ff_medium=thenewvoice

She didn’t write that.

I don’t disagree with the actual author that the far left wokes are out of control when it comes to policing speech, but The constant victimology and scare tactics of a coming Armageddon for conservative students discredits this whole article.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2020, 11:11:41 AM »
Trolls gonna troll

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2020, 12:21:18 PM »
I agree with this analysis, the problem is she did so using the Marquette brand and therein lies the conundrum for the university.   The last thing MU wants is to be perceived as a school that attracts an abundance of racists homophobes and xenophobes, and that's a serious concern.  They're having enough trouble meeting enrollment goals as it is without these kinds of distractions so this is definitely unwanted attention.

At the same time, they should not be in the business of monitoring students' social media activity as it relates to speech.  Even if said speech is anathema to the university's mission.   This idea that all incoming or existing students must reflect the values of the institution itself is ridiculous!  That will never happen.  Now If students are threatening physical harm or verbally abusing other students through social media that's a different issue that would need to be addressed.

What MU should have done is to have politely reached out to this student and simply said to them you're fine to express whatever views you want on social media but please don't use any MU imagery when you do.   That in itself might be a violation of free speech, I'm not sure as I'm not a constitutional lawyer but it seems to me it's a reasonable response.

MU could have told the existing students they're addressing the issue quietly with the incoming student and that should have been that.  The existing students I'm sure would still advocate for rescinding the incoming student's admission but MU should not have empowered them further and just let it be. 

In my view, MU has exhibited gross incompetence in this matter and would benefit greatly from the counsel of some our distinguished alums who are C-Suite communications officers for some of this country's largest corporations.  Some of them may even be regulars on this board. 

I've told some of the administrators that I keep in touch with as much.  MU has absolutely nothing to gain from any of this.

Marquette really handled this well.  I have no idea what you expected the University to do to manage this.

And not using Marquette's "imagery?"  How are you going to enforce that?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 12:44:35 PM »
I'm genuinely curious as to which conservative voices have been cancelled.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2020, 12:50:36 PM »
Nah, she has already figured out that there is an entire sub-industry on the right dedicated to supporting those who cry about how victimized they are.

And if you whine loud enough, you might get on Fox News.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 12:54:56 PM »
I'm genuinely curious as to which conservative voices have been cancelled.

The same ones who've been deprived of their freedom of speech.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2020, 01:00:11 PM »

I appreciate you recognizing the discrimination conservatives will face during the hiring process.  I've always thought liberals were open-minded, tolerant, compassionate, empathetic. The liberal party is rapidly devolving into fascism, racism, intolerance, and anything other than open-mindedness.  What's sad is many intelligent liberals are getting manipulated by the fringe, radical, confused, and uneducated, youthful faction of their party.

Youth is the hallmark of folly.  With age comes wisdom. 

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2020, 01:02:30 PM »
And if you whine loud enough, you might get on Fox News.

Listening to Don Lemon, Chris Cuomo, and Rachel Maddow is like tuning into a nonstop whine fest.  I spent 3 hours watching them the other night.  It was depressing, sad, and snowflake AF  -Don Lemon, especially.  Good God that guy has slipped in the last few years. 

feedback