[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Road Bike  (Read 2558 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Road Bike
« on: July 16, 2020, 10:57:08 AM »
Anybody have a suggestion on Road bikes that my wife and I can buy to ride with our 9 year old grand daughter? Not going to Walmart or Target to purchase. Going to a bike shop.

lawdog77

• All American
Re: Road Bike
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 11:11:17 AM »

Where are you located?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 01:11:56 PM »
I have a vintage Schwinn Sprint that is no longer being used.

PM if interested

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 01:38:35 PM »
Anything entry level from trek, Fuji, giant, etc, should be fine.

Might want to look at hybrid vs true road bike for a more comfortable/casual ride position

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 03:53:29 PM »
Not to throw shade on the bike enthusiasts here, but if you're going to a good bike shop, they should have suggestions that as as good or better than any you get here.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 04:34:51 PM »
Not to throw shade on the bike enthusiasts here, but if you're going to a good bike shop, they should have suggestions that as as good or better than any you get here.

I've found that there are few as enthusiastic as those who work at a bike shop.  They know their gear and won't steer you wrong.  In other words, they won't pedal you junk.

I shall not apologize for the puns.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 06:07:58 PM »
Are you trying to derailleur this thread!?!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 08:28:54 PM »
Embrace your age.  E-bike. 
Ludum habemus.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 08:34:50 PM »

Is that like virtual biking.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 08:15:39 AM »
I've found that there are few as enthusiastic as those who work at a bike shop.  They know their gear and won't steer you wrong.  In other words, they won't pedal you junk.

I shall not apologize for the puns.

Agreed, but with a caveat. In my experience, the employees at independent, local shops tend mostly to be knowledgeable and enthusiastic cyclists. On the other hand, if you go to a larger chain (Wheel and Sprocket, Erik's, etc.), they can be more hit and miss.

Still feeling the need to reply to muwarrior69's question...I agree with what jesmu84 said: in particular, I think the entry level offerings of Trek or Specialized would be well-made and rideable at a fair price.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 08:36:00 AM »

Agreed, but with a caveat. In my experience, the employees at independent, local shops tend mostly to be knowledgeable and enthusiastic cyclists. On the other hand, if you go to a larger chain (Wheel and Sprocket, Erik's, etc.), they can be more hit and miss.

Still feeling the need to reply to muwarrior69's question...I agree with what jesmu84 said: in particular, I think the entry level offerings of Trek or Specialized would be well-made and rideable at a fair price.

I own a Specialized hybrid bought at Erik's.  ;D

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 09:04:30 AM »

I own a Trek hybrid bought at Wheel & Sproket. Brookfield location was super knowledgeable and helpful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 09:22:09 AM »
I bought a Day 6 brand bike (Dream 8 model) after researching options ($880). It is billed as a "semi recumbent" but in reality that just means that the pedals are a little farther forward than a conventional bike. It has been reviewed as "the bike for boomers".

It comes with a large seat and a cushioned back for comfort and gets great reviews from people who have had major back/hip/knee problems including major surgery. The idea is that you ride sitting straight up, not hunched over. You can rest your feet on the ground while stopped. This also helps avoid a wipeout if you start to go over- just stick out your leg (assuming that you are not going fast) and you should be able to stay upright.

About the only downside (to me) is that with a longer wheelbase, the steering is a bit twitchy which also means that the minimum speed to attain basic stability is a little higher than a conventional bike.

The E bike option is something to consider. Expect the price of the bike to go up dramatically. It will. Riding an E bike does not mean that you are not getting exercise, provided that you choose to use the battery power only when you need it. The advantages are that you can ride in areas with some hills that are too difficult to climb in parts of your ride and if you get tired, overheated, or are sore or injured you can finish your ride on battery power. If you do not get enough exercise with an E bike, it is because you chose not to. 

Check out the Electra Townie as well, especially their E bike. A lot of bike for the money.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 09:31:21 AM »
I bought a Day 6 brand bike (Dream 8 model) after researching options ($880). It is billed as a "semi recumbent" but in reality that just means that the pedals are a little farther forward than a conventional bike. It has been reviewed as "the bike for boomers".

It comes with a large seat and a cushioned back for comfort and gets great reviews from people who have had major back/hip/knee problems including major surgery. The idea is that you ride sitting straight up, not hunched over. You can rest your feet on the ground while stopped. This also helps avoid a wipeout if you start to go over- just stick out your leg (assuming that you are not going fast) and you should be able to stay upright.

About the only downside (to me) is that with a longer wheelbase, the steering is a bit twitchy which also means that the minimum speed to attain basic stability is a little higher than a conventional bike.

The E bike option is something to consider. Expect the price of the bike to go up dramatically. It will. Riding an E bike does not mean that you are not getting exercise, provided that you choose to use the battery power only when you need it. The advantages are that you can ride in areas with some hills that are too difficult to climb in parts of your ride and if you get tired, overheated, or are sore or injured you can finish your ride on battery power. If you do not get enough exercise with an E bike, it is because you chose not to. 

Check out the Electra Townie as well, especially their E bike. A lot of bike for the money.

Remember Crazy TV Lenny from back in the 80's?  He sells E-Bikes in the Madison area.

https://www.crazylennysebikes.com/

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 10:19:46 AM »

Sir

Was with the wife at the REI flagship a couple of weeks ago where she was getting her Cannondale tuned. Ended up riding out with a Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 2. The Bosch drive train makes all the difference and is a must have for an eBike.

We are headed out to Tiger Mountain this weekend but thus far on city streets the Bosch eliminates all of Seattle's hills. Love the tech even if I am swallowing some pride.

Pics shared on the Meat Summit SMS.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2020, 10:43:47 AM »
Remember Crazy TV Lenny from back in the 80's?  He sells E-Bikes in the Madison area.

https://www.crazylennysebikes.com/

TV's bin on the rong syde of da grass fore yeers, heys?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2020, 10:59:30 AM »
Yes, from what I have read the Bosch is the way to go if you choose an E bike. The Electra Townie E bike has it. Another advantage to an E bike, even if you do not have hills to deal with MU69, is that your granddaughter may want to go faster than you and your wife can easily. That's where the E bike "peddle assist" feature would come in handy. Unfortunately for me, Bosch (to the best of my knowledge) does not offer a conversion kit if I add on an electric motor.

In addition to researching helmets (including the MIPS system), check out taillights. Distracted drivers on cell phones, yakking with a passenger or wrapped up in their favorite music can kill you. Cygolite Hotshot is what I chose. They offer a variety of flashing and intensity options that will vastly increase the chance that drivers will notice you. After reading up, I learned that you need less light at night (to avoid blinding drivers) but much greater intensity in bright sunlight to be seen. Makes sense- I just never thought about it before.

I bought the bike for my rehab after open heart surgery last June. Double bypass, valve replacement and aneurysm repair. They were running a special deal on engine rebuilding so I went for it. I get straight A's from my cardiologist during checkups. Too bad I did not get straight A's at Marquette. I also had knee problems requiring shots but have not needed any at all since I began biking.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 01:01:13 PM »

TV's bin on the rong syde of da grass fore yeers, heys?

If you're implying he is a strange guy, yeah he is eccentric as all get out.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2020, 01:09:59 PM »
TV Lenny's been dead since Midwest Express crashed in MKE in route to ATL
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2020, 01:30:12 PM »
TV Lenny's been dead since Midwest Express crashed in MKE in route to ATL

I think that was his wife. 
Ludum habemus.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2020, 01:38:16 PM »
You're right Larry. My apologies to those, living and dead, who I have transgressed. First mistake this year, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2020, 03:00:41 PM »
Ex-wife.

His son was a year ahead of me in high school. It was pretty sad.

Anyway Lenny cashed out and owned a bike shop for awhile. He might still.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2020, 04:46:20 PM »
Ex-wife.

His son was a year ahead of me in high school. It was pretty sad.

Anyway Lenny cashed out and owned a bike shop for awhile. He might still.

I see we've come full circle. 

He's married to Terra from Terra and the Paraphernalia.   If you're old enough to remember.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2020, 09:31:55 AM »
Anybody have a suggestion on Road bikes that my wife and I can buy to ride with our 9 year old grand daughter? Not going to Walmart or Target to purchase. Going to a bike shop.

Any descision yet?