collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 College Football Thread  (Read 90160 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: 2020-21 College Football Thread
« Reply #975 on: January 12, 2021, 11:49:51 AM »
I’ve yet to meet an indifferent ND fan.  Maybe indifferent ND alumni, but in my ample experience from Chicago to NYC to LA, their fans are either arrogant and obnoxious or over the top in saying why their extremely tenuous connection to the program justifies their militant approach to the team or college football arguments defending them.

They got destroyed in yet another CFP semi and I saw/heard multiple people immediately saying it’s not fair cause ND has recruiting standards and nobody else does except Stanford and NW

a fun game at the BE tourney was asking the ND fans at MSG what dorm they lived in at ND. The usual response was "I actually went to (enter east coast Catholic school) but I've always been an ND football fan." The biggest ND fans I've ever known didn't go there, let alone to any college. But then again, you can say the same about any state school (e.g. Buckyville).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #976 on: January 12, 2021, 12:17:42 PM »

I mean yeah...it stands.  But I am not sure it means anything.  The two times they have been in the CFP, they've deserved it. 

People just like to rag on them because they act like their farts don't stink.  Even though they definitely do.

And exactly how do you know this?                                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ND SUCKS

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #977 on: January 12, 2021, 01:11:07 PM »
No, you defending ND and their performance in the semifinals.

You seem to spend more time pretending to be an insider with other programs than you do talking about MU (because we all care so much about Vanderbilt and Arizona football).

This is a rather childish personal attack.

It’s interesting considering you have posted on more Notre Dame topics this past week than I have, let alone college football, two different Kenosha threads, NFL, etc..and so on.  (and of course that’s why there are Marquette basketball threads as well as the Superbar/other threads, so people can do just that. Good for you.)

You are triggered because you often post inaccurate gossip on these boards. Much of the time you don’t get called out on it, as it goes either unnoticed by many that wouldn’t know or care, or it’s assumed to be true. But I’m not exactly the first person to tell you that.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #978 on: January 12, 2021, 01:16:08 PM »
But they have only been in the College Football Playoffs twice.  This year they deserved their spot.  In 2018-19, they got in undefeated.  The only team with an argument that they deserved a birth would have been Ohio State, which played a better schedule but inexplicably lost to an average Purdue team.

In 2012-13, they were the #1 team in the country before getting hammered by Alabama in the BCS National Championship (no semis).  And the question about "who deserved it" wasn't about ND, it was about Alabama who lost to A&M that year.  Oregon, Florida and Kansas State were also one loss teams, but Alabama beat #3 Georgia in the SEC Championship Game.  (Had Georgia won that game, they undoubtedly would have received the bid.)

Prior to that they were in a couple non-championship BCS bowls.  No idea if those were deserved or not, but they draw eyeballs.

My recollection of 2012-2013 season was by the computers, they deserved to be in. However, by the eye test, they weren’t a top 2 team. If I remember, they had a lot of close games against mediocre teams. Granted they won them, but nobody was surprised they got their doors blown off in the Championship.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #979 on: January 12, 2021, 01:26:37 PM »
My recollection of 2012-2013 season was by the computers, they deserved to be in. However, by the eye test, they weren’t a top 2 team. If I remember, they had a lot of close games against mediocre teams. Granted they won them, but nobody was surprised they got their doors blown off in the Championship.

I agree with that.  But it would have been pretty hard not to have them in that game.  They were undefeated and the AP #1 team in the country.

My recollection also was it was also that year that forced the expansion of the playoffs too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #980 on: January 12, 2021, 01:45:24 PM »
This is a rather childish personal attack.

It’s interesting considering you have posted on more Notre Dame topics this past week than I have, let alone college football, two different Kenosha threads, NFL, etc..and so on.  (and of course that’s why there are Marquette basketball threads as well as the Superbar/other threads, so people can do just that. Good for you.)

You are triggered because you often post inaccurate gossip on these boards. Much of the time you don’t get called out on it, as it goes either unnoticed by many that wouldn’t know or care, or it’s assumed to be true. But I’m not exactly the first person to tell you that.

that's right, you played Arizona insider and demanded I share my source that said you were inaccurate about the SJSU coach. Why would I need to do that?  And let's not forget your Vanderbilt essays.

Now be gone, stalker. Maybe there's a ND board for you.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:48:23 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #981 on: January 12, 2021, 02:10:12 PM »
that's right, you played Arizona insider and demanded I share my source that said you were inaccurate about the SJSU coach. Why would I need to do that?  And let's not forget your Vanderbilt essays.

Now be gone, stalker. Maybe there's a ND board for you.

Ahh so this is because you posted misinformation in a coaching search a while ago. That's quite the grudge holding trigger you have there. I had to be reminded of that one, thanks.  I was thinking it was more because of your other frequent gossip posts that are often incorrectly presented as fact.

Taking topic discussion and turning it into personal attacks is not a recipe for success for anyone.

So it's your choice. We can keep it moving, about actual topic discussion, or, you can keep making personal attacks instead.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #982 on: January 12, 2021, 02:23:50 PM »
By the way, since this is the college football thread and all....former Auburn Defensive Coordinator Kevin Steele goes to Tennessee where he played and was an assistant. (Adam Rittenberg) Derek Mason of course was hired last week as Auburn D Coordinator.

Andy Avalos was hired last week at Boise St. Head Coach after Kellen Moore chose to remain with Dallas. Chris Peterson was part of the search.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #983 on: January 12, 2021, 11:17:28 PM »
Who is bragging about Notre Dame? I never said they did great in the CFP semis. I very matter of factly stated they did just as well as the teams in the title games (Alabama and Ohio St. In this example)

There was some discussion going around that Notre Dame didn't belong in the semis.

It's startling just how easily triggered some people get here when someone posts about Notre Dame or Wisconsin or Tom Crean or Buzz Williams etc or insert team or person here. The tribal insecurity is palpable.

There are people out there, even MU Rah Rah alums, without that angst, and capable.of objective discussion on those topics.

Settle down, hondo. You sound triggered. (First time I've ever used that word in a Scoop thread, BTW. Hopefully the last, too. It's a stoopid word.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:19:01 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #984 on: January 12, 2021, 11:38:23 PM »

Settle down, hondo. You sound triggered. (First time I've ever used that word in a Scoop thread, BTW. Hopefully the last, too. It's a stoopid word.)

You’re projecting. Notre Dame, Wisconsin, etc trigger you, and, it affects your ability to speak calmly, and rationally on the topic.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #985 on: January 13, 2021, 12:04:20 AM »
You’re projecting. Notre Dame, Wisconsin, etc trigger you, and, it affects your ability to speak calmly, and rationally on the topic.

He was clearly joking around. You could go a long ways by remembering this is a message board and not repeatedly taking the arrogant intellectual stance and talking down to everyone who dares disagree with you. You bring interesting perspective at times, but you do that crap constantly.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #986 on: January 13, 2021, 12:17:21 AM »
nm - not worth it.

Peace!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 12:34:27 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #987 on: January 13, 2021, 07:44:09 AM »
He was clearly joking around. You could go a long ways by remembering this is a message board and not repeatedly taking the arrogant intellectual stance and talking down to everyone who dares disagree with you. You bring interesting perspective at times, but you do that crap constantly.

Says the poster, making a post, talking down to someone.

I’m not big on sexism or making fun of the physical appearances of women either. Isn’t this a quote from you this past week?:

“Anyone who has seen the vast majority of women in South Bend would in favor of the swift and total destruction of any and all photo and video evidence”

I don’t talk down to any poster. Everyone gets equal respect here. It’s like an MU Professor once said, everyone starts with an “A”, it’s your job to keep it.

Respect is a two way street. Treat others with respect and you get respect. Everyone is entitled to a respectful different opinion. And, factual things are of course facts. The vast majority of my posts are positive or neutral about topics, more so, than many here.

It isn’t all that difficult to get along.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 08:06:25 AM by shoothoops »

• All American
« Reply #988 on: January 13, 2021, 07:56:24 AM »
Terrible ratings for the championship game.  This continues a run of poor ratings for marquis sporting events since the pandemic started.

Except for the NFL.  Always the NFL.  We will see if this continues.

Anyway, I think the major issues are that these games lack some excitement without fans, and that college football continues to be dominated by the same handful of teams.  And of course in this case the ongoing political issues that we thought would fade away in November continue on until now.

I think the real question is whether or not viewership will bounce back or if people just aren't into it as much any longer.  Time will tell.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #989 on: January 13, 2021, 08:26:14 AM »
Terrible ratings for the championship game.  This continues a run of poor ratings for marquis sporting events since the pandemic started.

Anyway, I think the major issues are that these games lack some excitement without fans, and that college football continues to be dominated by the same handful of teams.  And of course in this case the ongoing political issues that we thought would fade away in November continue on until now.

I think the real question is whether or not viewership will bounce back or if people just aren't into it as much any longer.  Time will tell.

And, of course, people know the result of any CFP or BCS title game Notre Dame plays in once the matchup is announced, so some find watching that game unnecessary.  **Ducks**
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #990 on: January 13, 2021, 08:37:35 AM »

Yep, some may have knee jerk takes about blowouts and/or seeing the same teams. But that doesn’t explain the much higher recent viewership for previous CFP with blowouts and similar teams.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #991 on: January 13, 2021, 08:40:39 AM »
I think their schedule is set up to fail.  You had two NFL Sundays in between the Semi's & Champ game.  That's two huge news cycles you're getting washed out of. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

• All American
« Reply #992 on: January 13, 2021, 08:59:00 AM »
I think their schedule is set up to fail.  You had two NFL Sundays in between the Semi's & Champ game.  That's two huge news cycles you're getting washed out of. 

I agree with you completely.  One thing I failed to mention is that the NFL's six playoff games likely just "footballed out" a lot of people who by Monday were just not interested. 

If I were running things, this is how I would manage 2021-22.

Saturday, December 4:  Conference championship games
Saturday, December 11:  Army/Navy
Saturday, December 18:  Quarterfinal games on campus sites
Saturday, January 1:  Semifinal games at bowl sites  (Next year they are playing them on Friday, December 31.  WTF???)
Saturday, January 8 in the evening:   Championship Game (If NFL goes to 17 game schedule which would mean Wild Card weekend is 15-16)

If they don't go to 17 game schedule, stick with the Monday night.  Or work something out with the NFL to get it sometime on the Saturday afternoon of the Divisional round weekend.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #993 on: January 13, 2021, 09:04:40 AM »

Maybe regional numbers will tell the tale, but the recent domination by the SEC and ACC might have the effect of piquing interest in the Southeast while dampening it elsewhere. Fourteen of the last fifteen champions have come from the Southeast (the sole exception being OSU in 2014), so it wouldn't shock me to see the numbers progressively dwindling elsewhere.

As for no fans in stadiums...I actually thought that would help ratings. Not only do the hard core season ticket holders have no other choice, but I thought 'average' fans would be looking for an outlet. Guess I was wrong.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #994 on: January 13, 2021, 09:57:31 AM »
Many are these games are just weird to watch with no fans, cheerleaders, mascots and pep bands. These are huge things that make college football and other sports the things they are. Just no energy while watching on TV.

Alabama-Ohio State College Football Playoff National Championship averaged a Nielsen-estimated 18.65 million viewers across the ESPN family of networks. Declined 27% from LSU-Clemson last year (25.59M) and 26% from Clemson-Alabama in 2019 (25.28M).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:07:50 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #995 on: January 13, 2021, 10:12:14 AM »

The Title Game might be set up better on a Thursday night. Monday for NFL re-cap and can build buzz for the CFP Title Game during the week. Downfall with that is having fans travel during a workweek, not being in a city leading up over a weekend.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #996 on: January 13, 2021, 10:15:29 AM »
The Title Game might be set up better on a Thursday night. Monday for NFL re-cap and can build buzz for the CFP Title Game during the week. Downfall with that is having fans travel during a workweek, not being in a city leading up over a weekend.

I have always thought it was strange having the championship game on Monday night. CFB games are mostly on Saturday all season, and that works great. Then suddenly, a Monday night time slot? Doesn't feel as much like CFB to me....

• All American
« Reply #997 on: January 13, 2021, 10:43:34 AM »

I have always thought it was strange having the championship game on Monday night. CFB games are mostly on Saturday all season, and that works great. Then suddenly, a Monday night time slot? Doesn't feel as much like CFB to me....

The problem is the NFL dominates January weekends.  There is a chance to change that with a potential 17 game schedule.  It opens up a Saturday for a championship game on the NFL's last week.  If the CFP decides to continue with Monday, January 10 with no NFL playoff games on Saturday, January 8, they are morons.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #998 on: January 13, 2021, 11:36:21 AM »
There were NFL games on Saturday in week 17 this year.  I don't know if that's a normal thing or just a 2020 oddity.  But if they're going to a 17 game NFL schedule, are they adding a second bye week for each team?  So a 19 week regular season?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #999 on: January 13, 2021, 11:39:34 AM »
There were NFL games on Saturday in week 17 this year.  I don't know if that's a normal thing or just a 2020 oddity.  But if they're going to a 17 game NFL schedule, are they adding a second bye week for each team?  So a 19 week regular season?

Sorry, I meant the 17th game for each team.  My understanding is that if there is a 17 game season, that it would be played over 18 weeks with the first round of the playoffs January 15-16.  Maybe I am wrong about that.