[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 College Football Thread  (Read 89927 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: 2020-21 College Football Thread
« Reply #1025 on: January 19, 2021, 11:40:52 AM »
I’m a Michigan fan.  They can’t recruit at the level of Ohio State and the power schools of the south.  They have a declining home base of talent in the state of Michigan. 

They need to move on from the “Michigan Man” BS. Until they understand they’re not a “blue blood” anymore and no one cares about Bo Schembechler, they’ll keep chasing ghosts.

Yep. Part of the difficulty here was that the Rich Rod hire didn't turn out, and gave the Michigan traditionalists a chance to say "Yup, see, that's what happens when you try to get all newfangled and break the mold.  Back to what we know."  That conveniently ignores that Brady Hoke is certainly no better a longterm plan than Rich Rod. 

Harbaugh was a blessing because as Fluffy notes, that was clearly the hire they had to make. I've grown kind of indifferent on that relationship. I don't see anything that makes me think that he's suddenly going to create teams that compete with OSU.  But I don't see the hire after Harbaugh generating too much excitement, either.  The silver lining is that the Harbaugh thing looks like it will just peter out, rather than get dramatic. He'll keep going 9-4 or 10-3 with the losses coming to top 25 teams, and they'll eventually go their separate ways.  Its unfortunate that there haven't been the results everyone hoped for, but parting ways on bad terms with him could really make that job even less desirable going forward.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1026 on: January 19, 2021, 12:27:44 PM »
I actually don't think Harbaugh is bad.  He's good enough that he could get past Ohio State in a down year or when they trip up.  And good programs always do that eventually.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1027 on: January 19, 2021, 01:27:12 PM »

Happens in hoops too.

Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullin say hi.

Don't forget about me! - Sincerely, Clyde Drexler

Yep. Part of the difficulty here was that the Rich Rod hire didn't turn out, and gave the Michigan traditionalists a chance to say "Yup, see, that's what happens when you try to get all newfangled and break the mold.  Back to what we know."  That conveniently ignores that Brady Hoke is certainly no better a longterm plan than Rich Rod. 

I remember talking to a former Bo assistant in early 2006 about UM and he said the new money guys were just waiting for Bo to die to make a power play and push the old school Bo loyalists out. That happened sure enough, that happened two years later and blew up on UM with the Rich Rod hire. Not much different than what happened at Nebraska with Bill Callahan. Harbaugh is as good as UM is going to right now.

For all of the hype for UM being an elite program, they've only won one half of a national title since 1948 and only four Rose Bowls since 1965. The great Bo was 2-8 in Rose Bowls. The loss to Arizona State in 1987 was brutal.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1028 on: January 19, 2021, 01:30:11 PM »
Agreed. The only guy I see out there who I would rather have in a vacuum and who is a reasonable target would be Fickell, and that's not even a 100% slam dunk upgrade.  I think Fickell could do what Harbaugh is doing and people would think that's about right.  Harbaugh's expectations were just so damn high.  Harbaugh isn't held back by Michigan and Michigan isn't underperforming under Harbaugh. The whole situation is just kind of a reflection of where Michigan is at, and I think Harbaugh's results translate pretty well to where he ranks as a coach and program builder/maintainer.  None of it is bad enough to flip the whole thing over to look for change just for change's sake.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1029 on: January 19, 2021, 02:18:05 PM »
Agreed. The only guy I see out there who I would rather have in a vacuum and who is a reasonable target would be Fickell, and that's not even a 100% slam dunk upgrade.  I think Fickell could do what Harbaugh is doing and people would think that's about right. Harbaugh's expectations were just so damn high.  Harbaugh isn't held back by Michigan and Michigan isn't underperforming under Harbaugh. The whole situation is just kind of a reflection of where Michigan is at, and I think Harbaugh's results translate pretty well to where he ranks as a coach and program builder/maintainer.  None of it is bad enough to flip the whole thing over to look for change just for change's sake.

Exactly!

Michigan fans aren't willing to recognize that Ohio State is SO far ahead of the rest of the Big Ten it will take a yeoman's effort to get close to them. They came close in 2016. Harbaugh's biggest issue is the lack of QB stability and development.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1030 on: January 19, 2021, 02:30:40 PM »
Harbaugh's biggest issue is the lack of QB stability and development.

Which, if true, is pretty funny.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1031 on: January 19, 2021, 03:02:52 PM »
Which, if true, is pretty funny.

that's the irony - a former Pro Bowl QB has been unable to recruit and develop his own QB while having some stud receivers.

Ruddock - 5th-year transfer
Speight - Hoke recruit
O'Korn - transfer from Houston
Peters - actually recruited by Harbaugh, benched and transferred
Patterson - transfer from Ole Miss

This past season you had McCaffrey transfer, Milton who played well then was benched, and McNamara, who led the comeback against Rutgers then wasn't so good against PSU. He probably has the upper hand for next season.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1032 on: January 19, 2021, 04:14:32 PM »
that's the irony - a former Pro Bowl QB has been unable to recruit and develop his own QB while having some stud receivers.

Ruddock - 5th-year transfer
Speight - Hoke recruit
O'Korn - transfer from Houston
Peters - actually recruited by Harbaugh, benched and transferred
Patterson - transfer from Ole Miss

This past season you had McCaffrey transfer, Milton who played well then was benched, and McNamara, who led the comeback against Rutgers then wasn't so good against PSU. He probably has the upper hand for next season.

They have a five * QB coming in who will have a legitimate chance to start.  They lost a QB to a career ending injury as well who would have been a true frosh this past year.  The whole McCaffrey saga is confusing.  Not sure what happened there when it appeared clear he was the next projected starter after Patterson
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1033 on: January 20, 2021, 08:51:15 PM »
Larry Scott is out as Pac 12 Commissioner. (SBJ)

Opportunity here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1034 on: January 20, 2021, 10:29:19 PM »
Larry Scott is out as Pac 12 Commissioner. (SBJ)

Opportunity here.

What? You're hoping Wojo leaves to take this job?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1035 on: January 21, 2021, 12:11:52 PM »
Tennessee is hiring UCF's Danny White as AD. (Wolken USA Today)

He's had some pretty successful past football and hoops hires, along with fundraising etc ..makes seven figures at UCF, and recent extension, so they had to have made a pretty big offer.

His dad just retired as Duke's AD, brother coaches Florida hoops, has another brother and sister in College Athletics Administration.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: January 25, 2021, 11:54:31 AM »
It's far from certain, but it's beginning to look like my youngest might be attending Nursing School at Mount Union starting next fall (she's still considering other options and trying to get more money). I've gotta admit, the idea of having a rooting interest in a nearby college football program is very appealing -- even if it is DIII. And they're obviously a top tier DIII program. It's only an hour from our house, so I can totally see myself heading down there a few times per year assuming there are seats available.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1037 on: January 25, 2021, 12:31:29 PM »
It's far from certain, but it's beginning to look like my youngest might be attending Nursing School at Mount Union starting next fall (she's still considering other options and trying to get more money). I've gotta admit, the idea of having a rooting interest in a nearby college football program is very appealing -- even if it is DIII. And they're obviously a top tier DIII program. It's only an hour from our house, so I can totally see myself heading down there a few times per year assuming there are seats available.

Absolute powerhouse. I remember getting a lot of mail from them in HS for both academic and athletics before just as they started their run of dominance. They had a hell of a rivalry with Whitewater, meeting in Stagg Bowl for 9 of 10 years and actually losing a majority of games to the Warhawks.

Matt Campbell cut his teeth there.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1038 on: January 25, 2021, 03:42:33 PM »
Absolute powerhouse. I remember getting a lot of mail from them in HS for both academic and athletics before just as they started their run of dominance. They had a hell of a rivalry with Whitewater, meeting in Stagg Bowl for 9 of 10 years and actually losing a majority of games to the Warhawks.

Matt Campbell cut his teeth there.

So did Nick Sirianni, the new coach of the Eagles, and Jason Candle who has been very successful after Campbell at Toledo.

From 1990 through his retirement in 2012, Kehres lost more than 1 game...once. And when he made his first D3 semifinal in 1992, he never had a team finish worse than the semis.  Then his son took over, only lost 2 games once (still made the semis that year) and made the championship 5 out of 7 years before he moved on to DC at Toledo.  That’s absolutely insane.

Which also makes what Lance Leipold did at Whitewater even more impressive.  Literally took a good but not great program, and made them a superpower to knock off the most successful D3 program of all time repeatedly.  Couple of my buddies in college were good Ohio HS football players.  They said walking on at a MAC/non Big 10 D1 program or playing at Mount Union was usually a no brainer for the latter for a lot of guys, which is why they had such success, especially if they were from NE OH

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1039 on: January 28, 2021, 03:02:21 PM »
Danny White hired Josh Heupel at Tenneseee. We'll see. He knows how to light up a scoreboard on offense. (Oklahoma, Mizzou, UCF). He isn't the most media friendly which is interesting considering he's now at Tenneseee which comes with more media scrutiny than some other places. There were some reports of a strong push for, and mutual with Tony Elliott, but they couldn't land him.

UCF has a lot of names in the mix for HC, and AD.

Pat Fitzgerald gets a new 10 year deal. The terms will be interesting. The most recent info I know of had him at $5.1 million in 2017.

Kevin Steele is getting $900k for TWO WEEKS worth of work at Tennessee before parting ways. (Or basically MU Scoop Moderator money) in addition to getting paid by Auburn. Not bad, not bad at all.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 03:12:30 PM by shoothoops »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1040 on: January 28, 2021, 04:09:06 PM »
Danny White hired Josh Heupel at Tenneseee. We'll see. He knows how to light up a scoreboard on offense. (Oklahoma, Mizzou, UCF). He isn't the most media friendly which is interesting considering he's now at Tenneseee which comes with more media scrutiny than some other places. There were some reports of a strong push for, and mutual with Tony Elliott, but they couldn't land him.

UCF has a lot of names in the mix for HC, and AD.

Honestly, about as good as you could hope for at UT right now, IMO.  Not a retread, not an unproven coordinator, pretty solid hire.

Interestingly, Elliott is now a hot name for UCF.  Some of the other names are surprising.  Malzahn, Chizik, promoting Randy Shannon.  I think they need to go young exciting coach, given their place and their reputation.  They have the ability and schedule to let someone promising learn on the job.  Elliott would be a great hire, Rhett Lashlee and Jeff Lebby are interesting.  I saw Leipold’s name tossed around, but I think he waits for a P5 gig next year

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1041 on: January 28, 2021, 05:13:29 PM »
Honestly, about as good as you could hope for at UT right now, IMO.  Not a retread, not an unproven coordinator, pretty solid hire.

Interestingly, Elliott is now a hot name for UCF.  Some of the other names are surprising.  Malzahn, Chizik, promoting Randy Shannon.  I think they need to go young exciting coach, given their place and their reputation.  They have the ability and schedule to let someone promising learn on the job.  Elliott would be a great hire, Rhett Lashlee and Jeff Lebby are interesting.  I saw Leipold’s name tossed around, but I think he waits for a P5 gig next year

A benefit for both Heupel and White is having worked together before. If Heupel were a Tennessee alum many of their fans would like the hire. They did try for some others first.

UCF is a very interesting job. Few major metros in the country offer the plethora of recruiting talent while not being located in an NFL market. Lots of new money there. It's an enormous University including various locations. Lots of enthusiasm and some new money there.

Many coaches think it's a job they can get. And many coaches think it's a place you can win. So, many are interested. Long list of possible names includes but isn't limited to:

Randy Shannon,.Alex Golesh internally. Also, Tony Elliott, Brian Johnson, Mike Elko, Marcus Freeman, Phil Longo, Alex Grinch, Jeff Lebby, Graham Harrell, Dan Lanning, Barry Odom, Tim Beck, as current assistants.

Lance Leipold, Jamey Chadwell, Sean Lewis, Mike Neu, Gus Malzahn, Phillip Montgomery, Bill Clark, Will Healy, Brent Brennan, Jay Norvell, Jason Candle are some of the head coaches.

Lance Leipold has interviewed a few places and those places were very impressed. I know he wasn't initially a name for Vandy, but, in the end, he very well could have been their next coach, if they hadn't had the unique situation with Clark Lea. That's how impressed they were with him. I think he would take it if there was mutual interest and a good offer.

Much depends on the AD situation. They could keep Shannon in place for a year in order to get more time for AD, coach hire etc...or just do it all now.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 05:16:50 PM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1042 on: February 01, 2021, 11:59:02 AM »
Football Practices Pose More Concussion Risk Than Games, Study Suggests

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/01/sports/concussions-college-football-practice.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20210201&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=headline&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=50761&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

College football players sustained far more concussions during practices than they did in games, medical researchers reported on Monday, a finding certain to add to the yearslong debate about regulating training regimens across the sport.

Much less clear is whether the college sports industry will nationalize safety reforms like those adopted by the N.F.L., which limits the number of padded practices per season, or some college conferences. But with the N.C.A.A. and its members facing urgent decisions on other fronts, including how to navigate the coronavirus pandemic, far-reaching new rules intended to prevent head injuries are probably not imminent.

The authors of the new study, published in JAMA Neurology, a peer-reviewed journal, found that 72 percent of the concussions they reviewed over five college football seasons happened during practice. And although preseason training accounted for about one-fifth of the time the researchers studied, they found that nearly half of the concussions occurred during that period.

Changes to the rules that govern games, they wrote, “are an important component to protecting athletes during competition,” but they asserted that revisions to training activities before and during the season “could lead to a substantial reduction” in concussions.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: February 02, 2021, 10:55:37 AM »
Oh HELL yes

https://twitter.com/easports/status/1356644353901539342?s=21

I would prefer a CBB game more, but this is a close second. Can’t wait. I still play NCAA 14

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1044 on: February 02, 2021, 11:29:19 AM »
Oh HELL yes

https://twitter.com/easports/status/1356644353901539342?s=21

I would prefer a CBB game more, but this is a close second. Can’t wait. I still play NCAA 14

Incredible.

Who makes NBA 2K?  Sony?  The 2K college basketball was awesome.  I hope that eventually makes a comeback.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1045 on: February 02, 2021, 12:19:09 PM »
Incredible.

Who makes NBA 2K?  Sony?  The 2K college basketball was awesome.  I hope that eventually makes a comeback.

Take-Two Interactive. Their two subsidiaries are 2K Sports and Rockstar (aka GTA and the Red Dead games).

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #1048 on: February 27, 2021, 02:39:56 PM »
North Dakota State trailing 31-7 in the 4th quarter to Southern Illinois. 39 game winning streak looks to be coming to an end.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton