[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 College Football Thread  (Read 90205 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2020-21 College Football Thread
« Reply #875 on: January 02, 2021, 08:30:45 AM »
Bama is the Kentucky of college football ... except their "1-and-done" caliber athletes stay for at least 3 years. So Saban gets the same kind of high-quality recruits Calipari does, but he can stack classes filled with them, and he benefits from them maturing into outstanding 20- and 21-year-olds before they leave.

As an aside ... I'm pretty sure that Saban is a better coach than Cal, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #876 on: January 02, 2021, 09:15:04 AM »

I gotta admit that I have grown to really love Nick Saban.  He's not some goofy personality.  He is self-depreciating enough to know he's obsessed about football and even jokes about it.  They don't use "turnover chains" or other things on the sidelines.  They just play football really well.  They tackle well, block well, etc.  Just a fun team to watch.

Agree completely. Love the self-deprecating attitude, his sideline demeanor, and the player development.

The spectacular plays - Harris hurdling the defender and the textbook TD pass from Jones to Smith - get the headlines, but everything is premised on outstanding fundamentals.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #877 on: January 02, 2021, 09:26:17 AM »
I have never been one who liked bowl games, viewing them as a combination of an exhibition game and tourism opportunity. Many (most?) of them actually cost the participating schools money to play in, and I simply don't care about any of the teams playing in them.

Since the playoff system started, I have watched most playoff games because they help crown an actual champion. But I still never watch the other bowl games. With the playoffs, those other bowls are more meaningless than ever ... and they've always been meaningless IMHO.

The Orange Bowl and Gator Bowl are today. Are Scoopers gonna watch them? Why? I'm not judging anybody's decision to watch anything. I mean, I'm gonna watch tomorrow's Panthers game, and I wouldn't argue against anybody who called that "meaningless." Just curious to know why a Marquette alum would care about a football game between NC State and Kentucky.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #878 on: January 02, 2021, 09:31:15 AM »
I will watch* the early game because I like football. I won’t watch the latter one because I will be watching the Warriors instead.

*it will be on while taking the Xmas decorations down.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #879 on: January 02, 2021, 09:44:18 AM »
Forgot to mention that Kentucky is 4-6. And that the Outback Bowl, also today, features 4-5 Mississippi.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #880 on: January 02, 2021, 10:57:57 AM »
I will be checking out the Orange Bowl during time outs in the MU game

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #881 on: January 02, 2021, 10:58:17 AM »
I have never been one who liked bowl games, viewing them as a combination of an exhibition game and tourism opportunity. Many (most?) of them actually cost the participating schools money to play in, and I simply don't care about any of the teams playing in them.

Since the playoff system started, I have watched most playoff games because they help crown an actual champion. But I still never watch the other bowl games. With the playoffs, those other bowls are more meaningless than ever ... and they've always been meaningless IMHO.

The Orange Bowl and Gator Bowl are today. Are Scoopers gonna watch them? Why? I'm not judging anybody's decision to watch anything. I mean, I'm gonna watch tomorrow's Panthers game, and I wouldn't argue against anybody who called that "meaningless." Just curious to know why a Marquette alum would care about a football game between NC State and Kentucky.

Because there is much more in life than Marquette. And there is much more in sports than just the top few teams or players and your local geography.

Presumably, based on your posts, you identify with specific teams such as your school or current city. And, after that, the top few teams or players etc...in various sports. And certain specific teams bother you more than others. That works for you, great. But different people have different life experiences and different have different interests.

I greatly enjoyed bowl games as a kid, especially when they didn't have sponsor names. The big business of college football has changed a lot of things over time.

I would prefer that the playoff be expanded, and, that other teams can play bowl games up to/before the playoff games. Playing bowl games after the playoffs doesn't make much sense. But I am sure I will catch some of the action, just as I would in many other sports.

I don't need to watch the best few teams or players or leagues to enjoy sports.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #882 on: January 02, 2021, 11:02:19 AM »
Texas has fired Tom Herman.

https://news.utexas.edu/2021/01/02/statement-on-changes-in-football-coaching/

Chip Brown is saying Steve Sarkisian will be the new coach.

Herman is owed $15 million, and, his staff is owed an additional $8 million.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 11:32:55 AM by shoothoops »

• All American
« Reply #883 on: January 02, 2021, 11:25:44 AM »
I hope Sarkisian has left his troubles behind him. He has been a good coach when healthy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #884 on: January 02, 2021, 12:41:45 PM »
They're a machine right now.  They can point to playing meaningful games, developing players within their program, and getting them to the NFL.  Oh and graduating them with a degree.  And Saban has a reputation for recruiting without being dirty about it too.

Look at Mac Jones.  Was going to go to Kentucky, but decided to go to Bama despite Tua and Hurts already being there.  Do you think he wishes he was a two or three year starter at Kentucky or having the one year he is having now? 

If you were a top football recruit, why WOULDN'T you look at Alabama?

I gotta admit that I have grown to really love Nick Saban.  He's not some goofy personality.  He is self-depreciating enough to know he's obsessed about football and even jokes about it.  They don't use "turnover chains" or other things on the sidelines.  They just play football really well.  They tackle well, block well, etc.  Just a fun team to watch.

Completely agree. Saban can look like a bit of a dick at times but the dude knows football, he knows how to recruit without using gimmicks or corny mantra's. And he can flat out coach.

It's why I find it laughable that a guy like PJ Fleck has even one NFL team inquiring on him. That guy doesnt have a clue when it comes to actually coaching. But hes the perfect "face" of a program like Minnesota. Using corny slogans as his only way of communicating. Letting 3 stars be termed "elite" for catching a ball in practice. It appeals to the mind of a young kid hoping for a chance.

Guy would get run over in the NFL and at elite college programs where players ain't looking for corny participation trophies.

Saban is excellent because he simply does what he can to get great players to the next level.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #885 on: January 02, 2021, 01:01:07 PM »
Because there is much more in life than Marquette. And there is much more in sports than just the top few teams or players and your local geography.

Presumably, based on your posts, you identify with specific teams such as your school or current city. And, after that, the top few teams or players etc...in various sports. And certain specific teams bother you more than others. That works for you, great. But different people have different life experiences and different have different interests.

I greatly enjoyed bowl games as a kid, especially when they didn't have sponsor names. The big business of college football has changed a lot of things over time.

I would prefer that the playoff be expanded, and, that other teams can play bowl games up to/before the playoff games. Playing bowl games after the playoffs doesn't make much sense. But I am sure I will catch some of the action, just as I would in many other sports.

I don't need to watch the best few teams or players or leagues to enjoy sports.

I watch a lot of sports that aren't Marquette and the Panthers, but I mostly prefer games that "matter" (in my eyes) and/or that feature athletes I consider truly remarkable. So for 20 years I was more likely to watch golf when Tiger was playing in the tournament than I was the John Deere Classic. Stuff like that.

I said I wouldn't judge other people's choices, so I won't. I'm glad you get something out of watching bowl games.

Texas has fired Tom Herman.

https://news.utexas.edu/2021/01/02/statement-on-changes-in-football-coaching/

Chip Brown is saying Steve Sarkisian will be the new coach.

Herman is owed $15 million, and, his staff is owed an additional $8 million.

UT laughs at the financial impact of the pandemic.

Herman seemed the absolute perfect hire at the time.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #886 on: January 02, 2021, 01:35:33 PM »
I will be checking out the Orange Bowl during time outs in the MU game

Same here.

On the bigger question: I don't watch all - or even most - of the bowl games. But I tune in for interesting matchups of good teams, like a strong team one P5 conference against a strong team from another P5 conference (TAMU vs UNC)...or an undefeated team from a lower conference against a 1-3 loss team from a P5 conference (like UGa vs Cinci, Boise State a few yers back, etc).

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #887 on: January 02, 2021, 01:42:13 PM »
I watch a lot of sports that aren't Marquette and the Panthers, but I mostly prefer games that "matter" (in my eyes) and/or that feature athletes I consider truly remarkable. So for 20 years I was more likely to watch golf when Tiger was playing in the tournament than I was the John Deere Classic. Stuff like that.

I said I wouldn't judge other people's choices, so I won't. I'm glad you get something out of watching bowl games.

UT laughs at the financial impact of the pandemic.

Herman seemed the absolute perfect hire at the time.

You definitely seem to have a pattern based on your posts. Golf to watch Tiger, tennis to watch Nadal etc... And, you are certainly not alone, as Tiger for example has driven golf ratings for a long time.

But that approach isn't mine. Sure I'll enjoy those things, but I'm interested in a wide variety of story lines, teams, players of various kinds, and levels. Maybe it's from practicing or playing, or watching in person or from afar, or from coaching, or scouting, or player development, or from being involved in some other aspects of sports, I'm not sure. The athleticism, skill, individual and team play, the x's and o's strategy, stories of wide varieties are all part of it for me.

A Challenger tour tennis player trying to survive, wins qualifying, or gets a $60k wildcard in a slam. That can be every bit as compelling as watching a slam final.  You don't have to watch Champions League or the few top European Leagues and teams to enjoy soccer. And so on...those things are great, but that's just one small part of it all for me.

I am not particularly interested in preseason, exhibition, results etc...I would get more out of practice than that. But as far as college or pro, or other levels of regular season or post season, Men or Women, all of those games matter plenty to those players, coaches, fans of those teams etc...

I also don't have some of the dislike of various teams or players that some others would have more than me on average.

People like what they like. As long as people are respectful, ans come from a way to seek to understand first, that's okay.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 02:53:34 PM by shoothoops »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #888 on: January 02, 2021, 02:02:09 PM »
Oh yes, I'll I have eye on the Fiesta and Orange Bowl. I miss the old days when it was all on NYD. I have multiple tv's with hoops on the other.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 02:06:39 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #889 on: January 02, 2021, 02:26:34 PM »
I'll out myself and suffer the abuse that comes with it: I'm a Notre Dame fan. Have been all my life. In fact, it wasn't really a choice when I was growing up; fall often centered around Notre Dame football. I have so many memories that involve ND football - ranging from watching them beat Alabama in the 1975 Orange Bowl on a family vacation, to watching them beat WVU for the Championship in Phoenix in 1989, to watching them beat Florida State in October in what turns out was the last time my entire family was together before my brother's death. Notre Dame football has always been a big part of my life.

So, I think I'm qualified to offer a Notre Dame fan's perspective on all of this. I hate it. Don't get me wrong...I love that Notre Dame is one of the best programs in college football these days. I know that drives a lot of people crazy, but it's pretty much undeniable. They are a very, very good program. And, for a fan, that's pretty cool.  But what I hate is that they always get invited into bowl games that they don't deserve because they have a lot of fans and (in normal years) the fans travel well. So they get their asses kicked. Regularly. And it has made some really, really good teams a laughingstock. I would much rather see them have a solid season, get a bowl game that is appropriate for the level of their team, and be competitive -- winning more than they lose. But they'll keep getting invited to games that they don't deserve and will keep getting crushed by superior teams.

For the record, last night's game was closer than I expected.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 02:38:18 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #890 on: January 02, 2021, 02:31:40 PM »
That was the 73 Sugar Bowl where ND beat Alabama. Gained a share of National Title. NYE night. Tornado before the game. One of the highest rated games. Guess that is why Bill Hancock tried making the CFP on NYE a thing.  :o Times have changed.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 02:35:26 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #891 on: January 02, 2021, 02:34:07 PM »

Same here.

On the bigger question: I don't watch all - or even most - of the bowl games. But I tune in for interesting matchups of good teams, like a strong team one P5 conference against a strong team from another P5 conference (TAMU vs UNC)...or an undefeated team from a lower conference against a 1-3 loss team from a P5 conference (like UGa vs Cinci, Boise State a few yers back, etc).

Rapid build for Brown. He doesn't have his defense yet but the offense is fun to watch. Really building something good there in the next few years. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #892 on: January 02, 2021, 02:35:10 PM »
That was the 74 Sugar Bowl where ND beat Alabama. Gained a share of National Title.

Actually, since I was in Miami, I'm pretty comfortable saying it was the 1975 Orange Bowl.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #893 on: January 02, 2021, 02:37:25 PM »
Actually, since I was in Miami, I'm pretty comfortable saying it was the 1975 Orange Bowl.
Yes, you are correct. 1975 Orange Bowl cost Alabama. Thought you were speaking of the National Title in 1973.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 02:39:07 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #894 on: January 02, 2021, 02:40:16 PM »
Yes, you are correct.

Yeah, I know.

Gotta love 'Scoop...you post about childhood memories and someone corrects you.   ;)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #895 on: January 02, 2021, 02:45:08 PM »
Yeah, I know.

Gotta love 'Scoop...you post about childhood memories and someone corrects you.   ;)

I get it. Lol. Egg on the face.

You just don't hear about the 75 Orange Bowl as you hear about the 73 Sugar Bowl on TV or ESPN Classic.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #896 on: January 02, 2021, 02:52:44 PM »
I'll out myself and suffer the abuse that comes with it: I'm a Notre Dame fan. Have been all my life. In fact, it wasn't really a choice when I was growing up; fall often centered around Notre Dame football. I have so many memories that involve ND football - ranging from watching them beat Alabama in the 1975 Orange Bowl on a family vacation, to watching them beat WVU for the Championship in Phoenix in 1989, to watching them beat Florida State in October in what turns out was the last time my entire family was together before my brother's death. Notre Dame football has always been a big part of my life.

So, I think I'm qualified to offer a Notre Dame fan's perspective on all of this. I hate it. Don't get me wrong...I love that Notre Dame is one of the best programs in college football these days. I know that drives a lot of people crazy, but it's pretty much undeniable. They are a very, very good program. And, for a fan, that's pretty cool.  But what I hate is that they always get invited into bowl games that they don't deserve because they have a lot of fans and (in normal years) the fans travel well. So they get their asses kicked. Regularly. And it has made some really, really good teams a laughingstock. I would much rather see them have a solid season, get a bowl game that is appropriate for the level of their team, and be competitive -- winning more than they lose. But they'll keep getting invited to games that they don't deserve and will keep getting crushed by superior teams.

For the record, last night's game was closer than I expected.

Notre Dame has been a top 12 or better program six out of the last eight seasons. Many schools would be thrilled with that. They haven't been able to be the best 1-2 teams but neither has almost everyone else.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #897 on: January 02, 2021, 04:07:52 PM »
Matt Campbell is made for the B10. He’s a very good coach and built a good program in a place that is very tough to win but I can’t stand to watch his teams. He has an NFL talent at QB, variety of skill players who will play on Sunday, and he wants to hold the ball every possession for 5+ min, calls one of the most conservative games I’ve ever seen, and relies on being “better” at execution instead of being creative. That’s the reason his teams will always have a ceiling. It’s been a LONG time since a team playing like that has won a title

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #898 on: January 02, 2021, 04:46:07 PM »
Urban Meyer to be the next head coach of the Jacksonville Jags.
-NFL Network
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 04:48:26 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

• All American
« Reply #899 on: January 02, 2021, 04:54:11 PM »
Urban Meyer to be the next head coach of the Jacksonville Jags.
-NFL Network

Will they draft Fields over Lawrence?