[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: K-12 Schools & COVID  (Read 123817 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: K-12 School year?
« Reply #325 on: July 30, 2020, 08:35:44 AM »
Jamie is getting feisty!
Only reading the headline and not realizing that the contents actually disprove your argument? Seems familiar.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #326 on: July 30, 2020, 08:44:08 AM »
Your argument of making decisions on a community by community basis is why we are still in the first wave of the epidemic.

Agreed. State/county/city control is great for many things, but handling a global pandemic is not one of them.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #327 on: July 30, 2020, 11:00:10 AM »

Agreed. State/county/city control is great for many things, but handling a global pandemic is not one of them.

And it’s ok to agree to disagree on that. 

The fact many of you can’t see how Bill Gates position on school reopening is the exact same as what a few of us have been advocating for which led to many of you saying we are in favor of killing teachers so we can ship off kids off to school to have someone else watch them suggests how clouded and partisan your viewpoint has become on everything Covid.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #328 on: July 30, 2020, 11:04:59 AM »

The fact many of you can’t see how Bill Gates position on school reopening is the exact same as what a few of us have been advocating for which led to many of you saying we are in favor of killing teachers so we can ship off kids off to school to have someone else watch them suggests how clouded and partisan your viewpoint has become on everything Covid.

You said - and I quote:  “Mr Gates is a yes vote for killing teachers.”

You are a liar!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #329 on: July 30, 2020, 11:37:47 AM »

You did not initially state anything about safety for teachers. Your initial stated position was only reopen schools. That equates to putting teachers in harms way. After more back and forth you added the precautions and what not. That equates to what bill gates was saying and also does not equate to "killing teachers".

You're making a false equivalency here.
Maigh Eo for Sam

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #330 on: July 30, 2020, 11:39:19 AM »
You said - and I quote:  “Mr Gates is a yes vote for killing teachers.”

You are a liar!

Yikes, should have put it in teal.  Thought it was obvious enough that I didn’t need to.

The point was that he’s in favor of schools opening safely, which i argued for as well a couple weeks ago.  I was then called a teacher killer by you I believe, so was just trying to connect the dots for you.  Obviously unsuccessfully.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #331 on: July 30, 2020, 11:42:28 AM »
You did not initially state anything about safety for teachers. Your initial stated position was only reopen schools. That equates to putting teachers in harms way. After more back and forth you added the precautions and what not. That equates to what bill gates was saying and also does not equate to "killing teachers".

What moron would suggest opening schools in the middle of a pandemic without safety protocols in place.

Again didn’t know I needed to explain that when I initially advocated for opening schools.  When I realized it needed further explanation I then went into detail some of my expectations and details of what are district is doing.

Never once did I post open schools with zero safety measures in place.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #332 on: July 30, 2020, 11:59:19 AM »
What moron would suggest opening schools in the middle of a pandemic without safety protocols in place.

Well there was this guy that doesn't seem to address any safety protocols at the school or district level, and only suggests that some kids shouldn't attend and that others should explore the idea of additional short term living situations.

Our school district has already announced they are going back to school in the fall with normal 5 day a week face to face learning.  The results of the survey sent a couple weeks ago was over 95% in favor of that.

The very very very, obnoxiously very vocal few posters on here who are straight doom and gloom are thankfully few and far between outside of the scoop world.

The district is allowing for folks like that to opt out and participate in a ramped up e-learning program and they can readdress their family situation every trimester. 

There are legitimate medical reasons for kids who are battling heartbreaking illnesses who should not put themselves at increased risk by attending school and I hate that they have to go through that isolation on top of everything else they’re battling, not fair at all.   But as many of you already said, if you are a young healthy child you will be just fine.

If you are a high risk parent and are concerned about having your kids bring the virus home.  I would suggest putting your kids development and needs first and allow them to get back with their buddies at school and possibly think about finding a short term rental/extended stay hotel to protect yourself.  None of the scenarios are great and require sacrifice from someone but as a parent I put the needs of my kids first and foremost and I believe it’s best for them to be back in school.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #333 on: July 30, 2020, 12:02:41 PM »
Well there was this guy that doesn't seem to address any safety protocols at the school or district level, and only suggests that some kids shouldn't attend and that others should explore the idea of additional short term living situations.

There's also that word normal. Which to me reads as zero safety measures unless the school's normal day to day was pandemic prepared
Maigh Eo for Sam

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #334 on: July 30, 2020, 12:03:57 PM »

Right, and I went on to explain the safety measures that were announced by the district and that I supported whole heartedly from the beginning. 

Not sure what you’re trying to prove here.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #335 on: July 30, 2020, 12:06:17 PM »
There's also that word normal. Which to me reads as zero safety measures unless the school's normal day to day was pandemic prepared

Well you interrupted it wrong then and are purposely ignoring the other posts where I explain in more detail the safety expectations.

Normal on that post was in regards to 5 days a week, full day, face to face learning.  I think you know that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #336 on: July 30, 2020, 12:12:33 PM »
Well you interrupted  interpreted it wrong then and are purposely ignoring the other posts where I explain in more detail the safety expectations.

Normal on that post was in regards to 5 days a week, full day, face to face learning.  I think you know that.

First, fixed it for you. Second, as I said before (see in bold and underlined), after some back and forth you clarified. The issue is you're trying to draw an equivalency to the reaction to your initial post before you clarified that "normal" isn't in fact "normal" 

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 12:20:46 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #337 on: July 30, 2020, 12:16:46 PM »
Right, and I went on to explain the safety measures that were announced by the district and that I supported whole heartedly from the beginning. 

Not sure what you’re trying to prove here.

That your first post on this thread was more of a flaunt about how your district was opening up face to face without mentioning any safety measures that were to be taken.  Comes off a bit ignorant and certainly disqualifies you from this statement.

Never once did I post open schools with zero safety measures in place.

You clearly did.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #338 on: July 30, 2020, 12:23:43 PM »
First, fixed it for you. Second, as I said before, after some back and forth you clarified. The issue is you're trying to draw an equivalency to the reaction to your initial post before you clarified that "normal" isn't in fact "normal"

Good lord, now we got the grammar police. 

You are trying to tell me what I meant by normal.  I’m now telling you want I actually meant which still seems obvious when I look back at the context of that post yet you’re still telling me that’s not what I meant. 

Not sure what else to tell you other then you’re wrong in what you think I meant.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #339 on: July 30, 2020, 12:28:46 PM »
Not sure what else to tell you other then you’re wrong in what you think I meant.

Mr Gates is a yes vote for killing teachers.  What a jerk

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #340 on: July 30, 2020, 12:38:13 PM »
Good lord, now we got the grammar police. 

You are trying to tell me what I meant by normal.  I’m now telling you want I actually meant which still seems obvious when I look back at the context of that post yet you’re still telling me that’s not what I meant. 

Well I would hope that a Marquette educated individual would appreciate a bit of help if they make a big typo. Not like I'm telling you where to put commas.

I never told you what you meant by normal, I am telling you what normal means by definition and clearly that isn't what you meant so it was a poor word choice that you're just trying to defend it as others people's issue with interpretation. If I was the only one who responded and is now arguing this I'd understand but loads of people did so clearly you missed the intended mark.

If I say "I went to a crowded pub last night and things were back to normal" does that mean I'm going in with a mask on, at a fraction of capacity, distancing from strangers, and sanitizing my hands after every surface I touch? or does it mean I went to a pub had a beer with buddies, shot pool, played darts chatted with strangers, listened to the band, etc?

If you are still offended by the reaction the bottom line is you have no one to blame but yourself for the choice of words.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #341 on: July 30, 2020, 01:12:43 PM »
Our school district hasn't made the call yet .. they punted until next week after a 6 hour school board meeting.

Needless to say, a chunk of people are FURIOUS that it's likely the district won't go 5-days a week in-person.

Great comment on Facebook .. something like ..  "The district is in desperate need to line up substitute teachers this year.  For all those who are eager to open up the schools fully, you are invited to apply ..."

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #342 on: July 30, 2020, 01:15:18 PM »
That your first post on this thread was more of a flaunt about how your district was opening up face to face without mentioning any safety measures that were to be taken.  Comes off a bit ignorant and certainly disqualifies you from this statement.

You clearly did.

My first post was in response and consistent with how this thread started.  How are districts handing in-person, virtual, or hybrid schooling options. 

Conversation was not at that point about specific safety measures but it veered that way later on.  Which is when I posted what I believe were necessary and appropriate steps to be taken for in person learning.  Hards_ even came up with some great ideas that I took to the district for consideration.

By taking one post and spinning it to suggest I once advocated for no safety measures in school is not accurate or fair.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #343 on: July 30, 2020, 01:23:13 PM »
Well I would hope that a Marquette educated individual would appreciate a bit of help if they make a big typo. Not like I'm telling you where to put commas.

I never told you what you meant by normal, I am telling you what normal means by definition and clearly that isn't what you meant so it was a poor word choice that you're just trying to defend it as others people's issue with interpretation. If I was the only one who responded and is now arguing this I'd understand but loads of people did so clearly you missed the intended mark.

If I say "I went to a crowded pub last night and things were back to normal" does that mean I'm going in with a mask on, at a fraction of capacity, distancing from strangers, and sanitizing my hands after every surface I touch? or does it mean I went to a pub had a beer with buddies, shot pool, played darts chatted with strangers, listened to the band, etc?

If you are still offended by the reaction the bottom line is you have no one to blame but yourself for the choice of words.

You hoped wrong.  Most people understand posts on scoop are made in between far more important daily activities and rarely proof read for mistakes so I could not care less if I have or I see a spelling mistake, grammatical error, or gasp....a word was auto corrected in that doesn’t make sense. 

As a MU graduate I would hope you’d have more common sense then that.

My post said our district was returning to a “normal 5 day a week face to face learning option with ramped up online courses being available”.  The context of that sentence itself alludes to normal being used as a clarifying word to what the avenue of learning would be.  Normal face to face, online, or hybrid. 

I’m glad I had a chance to walk you through that again though.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #344 on: July 30, 2020, 01:30:28 PM »
You hoped wrong.  Most people understand posts on scoop are made in between far more important daily activities and rarely proof read for mistakes so I could not care less if I have or I see a spelling mistake, grammatical error, or gasp....a word was auto corrected in that doesn’t make sense. 

As a MU graduate I would hope you’d have more common sense then that.

My post said our district was returning to a “normal 5 day a week face to face learning option with ramped up online courses being available”.  The context of that sentence itself alludes to normal being used as a clarifying word to what the avenue of learning would be.  Normal face to face, online, or hybrid. 

I’m glad I had a chance to walk you through that again though.

Come on cents then edd it ting Yur gram are? I apologize then for that.

It absolutely does not. That sentence to me reads as either you're in school as normal prior to covid, or you stay home, there's zero alluding to preventative measures. You also didn't answer my analogy. How does "I went to the pub like normal" read? Again, use better words if you want the benefit of the doubt.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #345 on: July 30, 2020, 01:33:06 PM »
Hold up, is Bill Gates the authority on education, epidemiology, and public safety now?

I thought he was just a rich guy who runs a MNC.

huh, guess I need to reevaluate.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #346 on: July 30, 2020, 01:35:03 PM »
Hold up, is Bill Gates the authority on education, epidemiology, and public safety now?

Considering he's the guy who unleashed the virus, I'd say he's an authority.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #347 on: July 30, 2020, 01:35:55 PM »
Come on cents then edd it ting Yur gram are? I apologize then for that.

It absolutely does not. That sentence to me reads as either you're in school as normal prior to covid, or you stay home, there's zero alluding to preventative measures. You also didn't answer my analogy. How does "I went to the pub like normal" read? Again, use better words if you want the benefit of the doubt.

It reads to me like you think it would and should. 

But if it that same comment was made on a thread talking about going to a bar in person, virtually, or a mix of both I would read going to a bar “as normal” as meaning actually physically going to the bar and wouldn’t then jump to the conclusion of that patron or bar not taking necessary steps to do it safely.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #348 on: July 30, 2020, 01:41:23 PM »

Bill Gates is a technological genius, brilliant businessman and a great philanthropist.

But in terms of epidemiology, education, etc, he's a layman who has read a bunch and has his own opinions. He certainly means well, but his opinions are no more valid than anyone else.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #349 on: July 30, 2020, 01:42:27 PM »
Trump: COVID is no big deal 99 percent of the time. We need to fully open schools ASAP.

Also Trump: This pandemic is so dangerous we need to postpone the election.