[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: More Ominous Signs for College Sports  (Read 31281 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: More Ominous Signs for College Sports
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2020, 07:52:51 AM »
If I were the NCAA, or at least the P6 conferences, I would start sitting down and figure out how to save the college basketball season right now.  Football just waited thinking things would get figured out in the end.  That obviously didn't work.

Think outside the box.  One thing I have thought about is a series of weekend events.  Put four, P6 teams at a site and play day / night doubleheaders on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  The next weekend, you head somewhere else.  Everyone has to be on-site and tested 24 hours ahead of time.

At the end of the season, hopefully we will be able to have conference tournaments and the NCAA following per normal.  IOW, you won't have a normal conference basketball season, but you will have basketball against quality competition.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2020, 10:46:34 AM »
If I were the NCAA, or at least the P6 conferences, I would start sitting down and figure out how to save the college basketball season right now.  Football just waited thinking things would get figured out in the end.  That obviously didn't work.

Think outside the box.  One thing I have thought about is a series of weekend events.  Put four, P6 teams at a site and play day / night doubleheaders on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  The next weekend, you head somewhere else.  Everyone has to be on-site and tested 24 hours ahead of time.

At the end of the season, hopefully we will be able to have conference tournaments and the NCAA following per normal.  IOW, you won't have a normal conference basketball season, but you will have basketball against quality competition.
With that, I wonder if college basketball would have the NCAA tournamentwith all teams invited. If not, it will be hard to pick teams if there isn't a non-conference schedule.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 11:02:43 AM by lawdog77 »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2020, 10:59:12 AM »
I'd love to be wrong, but I've resigned myself to no NFL or NCAAB this year. I'm not even convinced MLB will make it to the finish line. At least the success of the TBT gives me some hope that the NBA can manage.

Don't think we'll have to worry about pro sports getting cancelled anymore. There won't be fans but they'll just expand rosters and quarantine players who test positive.

I agree I don't see any college sports happening without a breakthrough in treatment.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2020, 12:07:14 PM »

For non-con, use the exempt tournament locations and create multiple 16-team MTEs. Get teams from 16 different conferences, create a bracket, and everyone plays in both directions to get 8 games each. Then mix up the teams and run it back. Do a 10-day quarantine with widespread testing, creating bubbles like TBT. If they started a quarantine on Thanksgiving, they could begin games on December 6. Schools would already be out by this time. Play the bracket through with the same 16 teams twice, 4 games per week, for two weeks. Players are released December 20th and get to enjoy Christmas and New Year's.

January 3, the first conference bubble starts. Quarantine for 10 days, then another 8 games over 2 weeks. This insures games are completed by January 27th, allowing classes to resume in February. Plan one more conference bubble, maybe end of February, everyone plays 4 games (so everyone gets 20 total games, 12 conference games) and then goes directly into the conference tournament at the same site.

This would give a minimum 20 game schedule with non-con play included so NET rankings and a selection process would be viable. Run the tournament in March and April, having teams again put into bubbles that play into each a final four (or eight) weekend.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2020, 03:05:14 PM »
For non-con, use the exempt tournament locations and create multiple 16-team MTEs. Get teams from 16 different conferences, create a bracket, and everyone plays in both directions to get 8 games each. Then mix up the teams and run it back. Do a 10-day quarantine with widespread testing, creating bubbles like TBT. If they started a quarantine on Thanksgiving, they could begin games on December 6. Schools would already be out by this time. Play the bracket through with the same 16 teams twice, 4 games per week, for two weeks. Players are released December 20th and get to enjoy Christmas and New Year's.

January 3, the first conference bubble starts. Quarantine for 10 days, then another 8 games over 2 weeks. This insures games are completed by January 27th, allowing classes to resume in February. Plan one more conference bubble, maybe end of February, everyone plays 4 games (so everyone gets 20 total games, 12 conference games) and then goes directly into the conference tournament at the same site.

This would give a minimum 20 game schedule with non-con play included so NET rankings and a selection process would be viable. Run the tournament in March and April, having teams again put into bubbles that play into each a final four (or eight) weekend.

So, they are actually students for 2-3 weeks in February?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2020, 04:00:55 PM »
So, they are actually students for 2-3 weeks in February?

No idea, I'm just throwing out a hypothetical to try to save a season. I don't think we'll see anything this year, but it's not impossible to imagine. It also depends on how thoroughly they want to see non-con play (basically essential for a fair selection process). I mean, you could trim play even further, maybe get down to 16 games plus conference tournaments, but it's tough.

If you do away with non-con play, how do you determine whether the 6th place team in the Big East is more deserving than the 8th placed team in the Big 10? The NET's entire functionality is based on the ability to compare teams and conferences on a wide-scale basis because with everyone playing everyone else, it at least gives you comparable baseline efficiencies.

I think the real problem is the need to stop and start play. How do you mix classes in between the bubbles? Could you do two mini-conference bubbles with classes in between and reliably expect players to stay healthy? What happens when one team has 1-2 people get sick in between bubbles? Do they forfeit the entire next period? That's where those NCAA restrictions come in. Anyone who tests positive is out for 10 days, okay that can be managed, but anyone who has "close contact" with a positive individual will have to be out for 14 days. Hard to imagine one positive test followed by routine practice and weight training won't leave the vast majority of an entire team in quarantine.

Alternately, they could just do conference play and expand the field to 96 or even 128. Hard to justify you should've been included when the committee said you were #129.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2020, 05:58:26 PM »

Theoretically, maybe this could work. But from the financial/practical/'let's call them student-athletes' perspectives, it shows just how unlikely it is that we will have college hoops this season.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2020, 06:40:30 PM »

Theoretically, maybe this could work. But from the financial/practical/'let's call them student-athletes' perspectives, it shows just how unlikely it is that we will have college hoops this season.

Absolutely. You go to all these lengths, it makes it pretty clear the student in student-athlete is just for show.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2020, 07:18:40 PM »
So the players will be locked down Away from class for weeks on end so they can play games no student can attend. 

All so some TV networks and the NCAA can make money.

College sports should take a season or two off if it has to be that difficult.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2020, 08:32:46 PM »
Bucks‘ Eric Bledsoe tests positive.

https://apnews.com/89a81ed5dcacf0912a86fdd3b8a5efb2

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2020, 09:31:51 PM »
Absent any leadership from the NCAA or the White House, call it off for 2020-21 across all sports.

Then, sell the heck out of a return to normalcy in 2021.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2020, 09:47:55 PM »
Absent any leadership from the NCAA or the White House, call it off for 2020-21 across all sports.

+INFINITY

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2020, 10:47:01 PM »
college basketball teams will have their own bubbles for almost 2 months on their own campus.  As most schools are going on break from nov to Jan

MU82

• All American
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2020, 06:41:44 AM »
If you do away with non-con play, how do you determine whether the 6th place team in the Big East is more deserving than the 8th placed team in the Big 10?

You don't worry about it so much. You go back to the "olden days" -- like 1977, when Marquette got in "just because."

Actually, IMHO the only "fair" thing to do if you manage to have a season is let everybody into the tournament. It only adds one weekend. And you do the best job you can at seeding. I mean, nothing's "normal" anyway, so for any perceived inequities, all you have to say is "coronavirus."

brewski, you were the first Scooper I know of who said there probably wouldn't be a college basketball season. I have gone from being optimistic (thinking you were wrong) to being pessimistic (thinking you were right). I don't see many realistic paths to a season now.

This is something I'd love us both to be wrong about. As long as it's for the right reason: The U.S. finally has contained COVID-19. Unfortunately, it's difficult (bordering on impossible) to see that happening in the next few months.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2020, 09:42:09 AM »
brewski, you were the first Scooper I know of who said there probably wouldn't be a college basketball season. I have gone from being optimistic (thinking you were wrong) to being pessimistic (thinking you were right). I don't see many realistic paths to a season now.

The biggest problem I see is that any viable solution (such as my 20-game, 3 bubble idea) completely wipes away any facsimile of amateurism. If the NCAA goes full TBT, creating bubbles to insure they can meet TV contracts and play a NCAA tournament that could honestly save collegiate sports, they will also demonstrate that profit is prioritized over education and safety. Hard to justify putting "amateurs" in a bubble when NBA professionals are opting out.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2020, 09:52:44 AM »

agree. Take a year off, enjoy the free time with family, and get back to sports spring/summer 2021. Frankly I've become used to a world without sports...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2020, 09:57:45 AM »
agree. Take a year off, enjoy the free time with family, and get back to sports spring/summer 2021. Frankly I've become used to a world without sports...

I'm not sure how possible that is, at least at the collegiate level. So many scholarships rely on donation dollars and those revenue games being played. All the television contracts need games to be played to be fulfilled. Coach & athletic department salaries need to be paid.

If sports, at least collegiate sports, freeze until 2021, I expect there are a number of sports we'll never see back. That could lead to a ton of unintended consequences, from simple ones like staff losing jobs & athletes losing scholarships to longer lasting ones like a competitive implosion of the USOC.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2020, 10:18:03 AM »
I'm not sure how possible that is, at least at the collegiate level. So many scholarships rely on donation dollars and those revenue games being played. All the television contracts need games to be played to be fulfilled. Coach & athletic department salaries need to be paid.

If sports, at least collegiate sports, freeze until 2021, I expect there are a number of sports we'll never see back. That could lead to a ton of unintended consequences, from simple ones like staff losing jobs & athletes losing scholarships to longer lasting ones like a competitive implosion of the USOC.

These are not bad things.  Perhaps colleges in all areas should concentrate more on academics.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2020, 10:27:03 AM »

Bingo.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2020, 06:40:18 PM »

Free market forces at work?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2020, 04:41:05 AM »
Free market forces at work?

The end of High School sports would be spectacular if that happened.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2020, 10:50:22 AM »
This thread is moving towards how I view College sports.  The have gotten too big and too much of a "feed me" "feed me more" mentality all at the expense of "student."  Many fans as well, not just the fringe fans, only care about winning and the show on the floor instead of a balance between athletics and student-athlete.  The Ivy league, maybe leagues such as the Patriot league, have some perspective that actually puts the student in student-athlete.  I respect these schools and leagues more and more. 

I respect the non-revenue sports more and more and players no on scholarship or on partial scholarships.  Yes, I know who pays for these non-revenue sports. But why in the heck do non-revenue sports play in conferences that require long trips and plane rides and hotel stays, etc.  It makes no sense and should be restructured to have different localized leagues for non-revenue sports based upon geography and cost savings.

College sports have been trying to compete with the pro-sports, compete with each other at ridiculous levels such as Ohio State, and the SEC, and getting further and further away from caring about the athlete from a student perspective. I realize it old fashioned for me to think that college sports should be mainly about student-athlete and not primarily about the entertainment business. 

This might be a good chance for us fans to realize what is important in their own lives, and for colleges to take a step back and realize that the sports machine should be able to go a season without full revenue - or if it can't - then something needs to change.  Maybe start with college coach's pay that have gone through the roof in the last 30 years. 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2020, 10:55:37 AM »
Sports an be a great learning tool and great for high school kids for so many reasons.  But, when practices are 6 or 7 days a week for hours, game travel, etc, it has gotten out of hand for good students.  Just like on my college sports opinion, I maybe old fashioned, but it seems like the priority has become so much about sports and winning and not learning and not the student part. Does it really matter if they shortened practice a bit or practiced 4 days a week?  Not really; or if students are doing poorly turn some practices into study halls 2 days a week?  If someone is really really good, and motivated, they'd have some additional time for individual workouts and improvements if they want.  But I forget, it is mostly about winning now, even at the high school level.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2020, 01:08:15 PM »
Sports an be a great learning tool and great for high school kids for so many reasons.  But, when practices are 6 or 7 days a week for hours, game travel, etc, it has gotten out of hand for good students.  Just like on my college sports opinion, I maybe old fashioned, but it seems like the priority has become so much about sports and winning and not learning and not the student part. Does it really matter if they shortened practice a bit or practiced 4 days a week?  Not really; or if students are doing poorly turn some practices into study halls 2 days a week?  If someone is really really good, and motivated, they'd have some additional time for individual workouts and improvements if they want.  But I forget, it is mostly about winning now, even at the high school level.

15-18 yo kids can play sports and learn all the exact same things playing sports outside of high schools.  Right now most youth/rec leagues fall apart/stop after ages 13,14,15 because high school and clubs suck up most of the participants.  Getting the circus that is high school sports out of the schools would not only save schools systems millions of dollars and even more distractions.  It would allow those rec leagues far more participants to continue with say 16-18 yo divisions.  The most talented can play club.  The argument can be easily made that a great many 15-18 are negatively affected by HS sports as they are not great athletes but still want to play.  However, because they arent in the top 5%-10% in that sport in their HS and there are not rec leagues for their ages then their careers end due to no other options.
So if the lessons of sport are so great why are they then being limited by schools to the top 5?% of players in each sport/class? Additionally, why are the US and some of Canada the only ones that do it this way?  Are Europe, SA, and Asia falling behind the US do to lack of this amazing developmental tool only available in the US,that needs be part of a HS’s offerings? ?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 07:36:09 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2020, 01:24:55 PM »
Drip, drip, drip.

Mahomes, Brees and More Tweet on NFL Not Following COVID-19 Safety Guidelines

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2900801-brees-watt-more-players-tweet-on-nfl-not-following-covid-19-safety-guidelines?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial
Russell Wilson
@DangeRussWilson
I am concerned.
My wife is pregnant.
@NFL Training camp is about to start..

And there’s still No Clear Plan on Player Health & Family Safety. 🤷🏾

We want to play football but we also want to protect our loved ones.