[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180873 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Masks
« Reply #1750 on: October 25, 2021, 05:15:42 PM »
But thats a bit different than going into a store, out into your car, driving somewhere else...

Listen, if people want to wear them all the time, thats fine.  Maybe you forget once and awhile, I don't get it, but hey. 

But the idea that is "easier" to never take it off when driving around is what seems silly to some.

But then again Ive heard multiple people say they would be fine always wearing a mask on a plane or public transportation in the future, so who the F knows.

It had not occurred to me to do so before now,  but perhaps I will start to drive around with a mask on just to see what kind of road rage that could engender.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1751 on: October 25, 2021, 05:27:20 PM »
🤣🤣tower

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1752 on: October 25, 2021, 05:44:32 PM »

Right, but why do people want to label this as "silliness."  If someone wants to wear a mask, just let them do so.  They don't need to be judged.

I guess its because we've spent the last 18 months with some blend of very necessary caution, fear mongering, some excess of caution, and a whole lot of virtue signaling (WEAR A MASK!) that when we're in a position where lots of mask wearing has subsided, stuff that feels excessive is reminiscent of daily news items that sought to terrify people for eyeballs and had people wearing 2 masks and a faceshield to get the paper.

There is plenty of non-COVID stuff that people do that is illogical or silly to many people yet nobody feels the need to go out of the way to justify it.  And the idea that "oh they are protecting themselves and others" just seems excessive and this whole need to push back against the anti-mask/anti-vaxx crowd.  In my experience, the ones still with overabundance of caution are also the most vocal complaining about the actions of everyone else not mirroring their caution, some in my own extended family.

It had not occurred to me to do so before now,  but perhaps I will start to drive around with a mask on just to see what kind of road rage that could engender.

Enjoy!  And be sure to post complaining about anyone that makes a comment or gives you a look!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1753 on: October 25, 2021, 06:02:20 PM »
No complaining.  Stories.  Unless they shoot me.  In which case, enjoy the silence.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1754 on: October 25, 2021, 06:10:03 PM »
But thats a bit different than going into a store, out into your car, driving somewhere else...

Listen, if people want to wear them all the time, thats fine.  Maybe you forget once and awhile, I don't get it, but hey. 

But the idea that is "easier" to never take it off when driving around is what seems silly to some.

But then again Ive heard multiple people say they would be fine always wearing a mask on a plane or public transportation in the future, so who the F knows.

When I'm not required to wear one, I can't wait to rip mine off my face.  I will never understand wearing a mask alone in your car.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1755 on: November 10, 2021, 09:36:27 PM »
Federal judge says Abbott had no right to ban mask mandates in schools. Because, of course he didn't.

It would be nice if the governors of Texas and Florida actually worked as hard to keep their residents safe as they do to put them in harm's way.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1756 on: November 11, 2021, 03:32:40 AM »
Federal judge says Abbott had no right to ban mask mandates in schools. Because, of course he didn't.

It would be nice if the governors of Texas and Florida actually worked as hard to keep their residents safe as they do to put them in harm's way.

if he said NO MASKS ALLOWED, that would be putting people in harms way.  oh, and whatever happened to follow the science. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1757 on: November 11, 2021, 04:47:53 AM »
if he said NO MASKS ALLOWED, that would be putting people in harms way.  oh, and whatever happened to follow the science.

What does the science say about masks?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1758 on: November 11, 2021, 07:56:28 AM »
oh, and whatever happened to follow the science.
You mean like the science on ivermectin?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1759 on: November 11, 2021, 10:49:55 AM »

For months, the governors of Texas and Florida have actively, aggressively undermined measures that would have improved medical outcomes in their states ... and they've done so for purely political reasons.

But sure, roQQet, I'm looking forward to you starting to follow the science any day now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #1760 on: November 13, 2021, 09:18:09 AM »
What does the science say about masks?

That if you’re going to mandate them it’s pointless to have a lot of people use the cheap blue cloth masks, but our supply of N95 and K95 masks is probably not high enough for everyone to have one (or several as they’d need to be able to regularly use).

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1761 on: November 18, 2021, 08:24:31 AM »
Facts, data, science. I know they don't sway a certain faction, but here is more of what we already knew:

Mask-wearing cuts Covid incidence by 53%, says global study
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/17/wearing-masks-single-most-effective-way-to-tackle-covid-study-finds

"Now a systematic review and meta analysis of non-pharmaceutical interventions has found for the first time that mask wearing, social distancing and handwashing are all effective measures at curbing cases – with mask wearing the most effective.

Results from more than 30 studies from around the world were analysed in detail, showing a statistically significant 53% reduction in the incidence of Covid with mask wearing and a 25% reduction with physical distancing.

Handwashing also indicated a substantial 53% reduction in Covid incidence, although this was not statistically significant after adjusting for the small number of handwashing studies included.

Detailed analysis was not possible for other measures, including quarantine and isolation, universal lockdowns, and closures of borders, schools, and workplaces, due to differences in study design, outcome measures and quality, the researchers said."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1762 on: November 18, 2021, 02:53:02 PM »
Masking and distancing.  Huh.  Who knew?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1764 on: November 23, 2021, 03:04:06 PM »
Smarter than most.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1765 on: November 23, 2021, 03:10:17 PM »
I can't tell if my new eye doctor is hot or not because of the mask. I'm considering changing my views on public health.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1766 on: November 23, 2021, 03:16:12 PM »
Pretend she is.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1767 on: November 23, 2021, 03:32:19 PM »
Orr ax 'im, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1768 on: November 23, 2021, 03:39:34 PM »
Orr ax 'im, hey?

Gottem, lol

"Are you hot? Cause I'm like 50/50 on if you're hot."

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1769 on: November 23, 2021, 03:53:26 PM »
https://www.channel3000.com/dane-co-health-officials-change-course-extend-mask-order-into-new-year/?alert=3228171&alert_type=banner

neat.

How does this affect the MU-UW game next week?  Are fans required to be masked at all times?  Proof of vaccination required?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1770 on: November 23, 2021, 03:59:36 PM »
How does this affect the MU-UW game next week?  Are fans required to be masked at all times?  Proof of vaccination required?

Masks are required at the Kohl Center.  No vaccine requirement.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1771 on: November 23, 2021, 04:49:36 PM »
Smarter than most.

Sooooooooo we're never going to move on then?  What is the criteria for ending this?

Obviously, you work in a unique situation and run into the worst of humanity on a daily basis.  But for a county that is 72.4% fully vaccinated, and 75.5% with at least one dose... and 98% of residents 65+ who are partially vaccinated.... Where does this end?  Pfizer Covid19 vaccine was approved for children 5-11 on 10/29.  Nearly a month ago.  Long enough for people to have ample time to get their children vaccinated if they so choose to.

There are 86 people who are hospitalized in Dane County.  In a county with a population of 546,695 (as of 2019).  15 people died in October.  5 so far in November.

Again, I ask.  What is the threshold to say masks aren't needed?  Pick a number.  Instead, Dane Co has moved the mandate back, month after month without giving any scientific reason for doing so.  Unless they plan to extend this mandate until the year 2100 they need to pick a threshold to give their constituents a finish line.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1772 on: November 23, 2021, 04:52:39 PM »
Sooooooooo we're never going to move on then?  What is the criteria for ending this?

Obviously, you work in a unique situation and run into the worst of humanity on a daily basis.  But for a county that is 72.4% fully vaccinated, and 75.5% with at least one dose... and 98% of residents 65+ who are partially vaccinated.... Where does this end?  Pfizer Covid19 vaccine was approved for children 5-11 on 10/29.  Nearly a month ago.  Long enough for people to have ample time to get their children vaccinated if they so choose to.

There are 86 people who are hospitalized in Dane County.  In a county with a population of 546,695 (as of 2019).  15 people died in October.  5 so far in November.

Again, I ask.  What is the threshold to say masks aren't needed?  Pick a number.  Instead, Dane Co has moved the mandate back, month after month without giving any scientific reason for doing so.  Unless they plan to extend this mandate until the year 2100 they need to pick a threshold to give their constituents a finish line.

They did give them a finish line.  Then promptly moved it again. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1773 on: November 23, 2021, 05:16:58 PM »
Local hospitals are again turning people away.    Highest numbers ever.  Highest daily number of cases statewide since a year ago. 80 deaths a day, statewide. 
 School districts shutting down, too many teacher and student illnesses to even go virtual.  Why on  earth would anyone think it is safe to  be unmasked and unvaccinated?

Dane County is choosing prudence.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 05:30:09 PM by tower912 »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1774 on: November 23, 2021, 06:27:41 PM »
Local hospitals are again turning people away.    Highest numbers ever.  Highest daily number of cases statewide since a year ago. 80 deaths a day, statewide. 
 School districts shutting down, too many teacher and student illnesses to even go virtual.  Why on  earth would anyone think it is safe to  be unmasked and unvaccinated?

Dane County is choosing prudence.

Are you talking about Wisconsin or Michigan?  The dooms day scenario you’re describing doesn’t match the day to day reality here in Wisconsin at least.