[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180675 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Masks
« Reply #1525 on: September 14, 2021, 11:57:02 AM »
There is no bottom.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1526 on: September 14, 2021, 12:23:44 PM »
Re: Glen Ellyn protests - why am I not surprised Jeanne Ives is promoting it.

Might be because she's not a good person.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1527 on: September 14, 2021, 01:54:30 PM »
Can we get a volunteer to organize a Scoop "Dance on your Grave" party to honor this man?

That's your area.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1528 on: September 14, 2021, 11:50:36 PM »
Let me lay out a theory about masks.

I hate them and wish they would go away. I honor mask mandates in Illinois but I think we're protecting the STUPID!!!

In Illinois, Florida and most other states in this country, between 60 percent and 65 percent of the population has been fully vaccinated. The statistics indicate this cohort, if it contracts Covid-19, almost universally has mild cold-like symptoms for a day or two. The virus is defeated and the appropriately vaccinated goes on with life.

The idiot cohort is the bulk of the remaining population. These morons refuse to get vaccinated on some suspicious grounds, even though the vaccine is free, readily available and generally convenient. In most cases, if you can't come to the vaccine, counties, cities and states will bring the vaccine almost to your doorstep. These unvaccinated dopes are filling our ICUs to the gills, crowding out other patients with serious illness and generally causing havoc. Pick your state -- the Delta variant of Covid-19 almost exclusively is making the unvaccinated moron sick.

We need to tell people that come November 1, no more mask mandates. All Covid-19 related disease control steps are gone. You can wear a mask in public if you want -- your right. But we expect people to get vaccinations and we're through coddling the idiots. You want to be unvaccinated because of stupid political beliefs or uninformed internet crap, plan on spending a lot of time at home because society will be asking for an electronic vaccination certificate. If you get sick, we'll reopen some closed hospitals and send you to a Covid-19 sanitorium. Mandatory, like the old TB hospitals.

I'm not a big fan of President Biden but his order that employers who have 100 or more employees have to have vaccinated workforces is spot on. If we have to take the stupid and all but shove the vaccine down their throats, then do it. Most of us are tired of this crap and believe the debilitating impact has to go away.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 11:52:31 PM by dgies9156 »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1529 on: September 15, 2021, 08:02:38 AM »
Let me lay out a theory about masks.

I hate them and wish they would go away. I honor mask mandates in Illinois but I think we're protecting the STUPID!!!

In Illinois, Florida and most other states in this country, between 60 percent and 65 percent of the population has been fully vaccinated. The statistics indicate this cohort, if it contracts Covid-19, almost universally has mild cold-like symptoms for a day or two. The virus is defeated and the appropriately vaccinated goes on with life.

The idiot cohort is the bulk of the remaining population. These morons refuse to get vaccinated on some suspicious grounds, even though the vaccine is free, readily available and generally convenient. In most cases, if you can't come to the vaccine, counties, cities and states will bring the vaccine almost to your doorstep. These unvaccinated dopes are filling our ICUs to the gills, crowding out other patients with serious illness and generally causing havoc. Pick your state -- the Delta variant of Covid-19 almost exclusively is making the unvaccinated moron sick.

We need to tell people that come November 1, no more mask mandates. All Covid-19 related disease control steps are gone. You can wear a mask in public if you want -- your right. But we expect people to get vaccinations and we're through coddling the idiots. You want to be unvaccinated because of stupid political beliefs or uninformed internet crap, plan on spending a lot of time at home because society will be asking for an electronic vaccination certificate. If you get sick, we'll reopen some closed hospitals and send you to a Covid-19 sanitorium. Mandatory, like the old TB hospitals.

I'm not a big fan of President Biden but his order that employers who have 100 or more employees have to have vaccinated workforces is spot on. If we have to take the stupid and all but shove the vaccine down their throats, then do it. Most of us are tired of this crap and believe the debilitating impact has to go away.

All those 12 and under dopes.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1530 on: September 15, 2021, 08:07:48 AM »
All those 12 and under dopes.

What is the percentage of hospitalizations and deaths attributable to the 12 and under population? I get it is higher than it was but it is extremely small.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1531 on: September 15, 2021, 08:31:54 AM »
What is the percentage of hospitalizations and deaths attributable to the 12 and under population? I get it is higher than it was but it is extremely small.

Yes, but those 12 and under go home and infect family. I have a friend, prior COVID and vaccinated, currently hospitalized because their child (under 12) got COVID at school (no mask mandate) and brought it home.

They have prior health issues (e.g. autoimmune disease, and asthma) that makes them more vulnerable.

The mask mandates protect these people too.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1532 on: September 15, 2021, 08:49:11 AM »

So we're all good with defaulting on the margin children? COVID is defeated.

Maybe instead, wear a unnatural carnal knowledgeing mask, stop being a selfish pretty boy until the vaccine is available for everyone.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1533 on: September 15, 2021, 09:19:08 AM »
Gang

You are doing what disappoints me in the Covid-19 debate from every side since the onset of the disease. We're picking an anecdote or a possibility with no statistical support (the inevitable "what if..." question) and building public policy around what seems to be the extreme.

What I do for a living and what I've been trained to do in my profession is to follow data. I expect data driven decisions with strong probability analyses and good assessments of current market conditions. Admittedly, emotions and politics have largely engulfed critical, rational thinking.

The data and reporting I've seen since the onset of Covid-19 says the impact of the virus on the 12-and-under crowd is very negligible. In the Chicago Catholic School System, they met in person and there, to my knowledge, was no material outbreak of Covid-19 among either the students or teachers. Everybody screams about Florida as of late. I'd sure like to see where the outbreak is occurring -- whether it is 12-and-under set or whether it's the unvaccinated morons. Until such data is available, everything is speculation. In my case, I default toward the mean and look 1 standard deviation to the left or right. That's something we have not seen in this pandemic.

And incidentally, when someone comes out with the "it will kill us all" models, I'd sure like to see someone validate the assumptions that went into those models. That and a sensitivity analysis around the most critical variables.

I'd sure like to see the vaccine for 12-and-under as well.

Finally, Brother Retire0, I'm honored that you would consider me a pretty boy!  Maybe it's because you have never seen me in person!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1534 on: September 15, 2021, 09:42:04 AM »

Finally, Brother Retire0, I'm honored that you would consider me a pretty boy!  Maybe it's because you have never seen me in person!

That was not directed at you, just the general idiots that fight masks and vaccines.

I don't believe the pandemic is over for the vaccinated until everyone can be vaccinated. Data be damned, everyone American needs access before we claim mission accomplished. I'm vaccinated, but still dealing with outbreaks at schools. The virus is still a very real thing for those vaccinated with children.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1535 on: September 15, 2021, 10:20:37 AM »
That was not directed at you, just the general idiots that fight masks and vaccines.

I went from pretty boy to idiot!

Here's the reality: We're never going to have 100 percent. And Covid-19 is never going away either. Smallpox, mumps, polio etc., all have unvaccinated pockets of idiots running around the country. The virus doesn't go away but hopefully enough people will get vaccinated that the problem is minimal.

Where I respectfully disagree with you is that I believe, for what it's worth, we're going to have to live with Covid-19 the way we do with other viruses. We can't lock the country down and at some point, people will tire of the emergency actions. I think the tiring point is coming soon, if it is not here already. I agree that we're going to have to make decisions on vaccinating school-age children but at some point, we need to develop a break point.

We need desperately to get back to normal.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1536 on: September 15, 2021, 10:23:50 AM »

Here's the reality: We're never going to have 100 percent. And Covid-19 is never going away either. Smallpox, mumps, polio etc., all have unvaccinated pockets of idiots running around the country. The virus doesn't go away but hopefully enough people will get vaccinated that the problem is minimal.

Where I respectfully disagree with you is that I believe, for what it's worth, we're going to have to live with Covid-19 the way we do with other viruses. We can't lock the country down and at some point, people will tire of the emergency actions. I think the tiring point is coming soon, if it is not here already. I agree that we're going to have to make decisions on vaccinating school-age children but at some point, we need to develop a break point.

Ill agree with you once a decent vaccine for kids is made.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1537 on: September 15, 2021, 11:00:32 AM »

Small quibble, we have a lot of unvaccinated smallpox people running around because the vaccine is no longer given--because smallpox was eradicated.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1538 on: September 15, 2021, 11:01:40 AM »

When you say something like this, I wonder why you find wearing a mask in public indoor spaces to be some affront to the "normal," but not overflowing ICUs, health care rationing and thousands of excess deaths a day? Are these things normal to you?

We agree on the need to get back to normal, but the path back to normality is controlling the virus, not pretending it doesn't exist.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1539 on: September 15, 2021, 11:15:23 AM »
When you say something like this, I wonder why you find wearing a mask in public indoor spaces to be some affront to the "normal," but not overflowing ICUs, health care rationing and thousands of excess deaths a day? Are these things normal to you?

We agree on the need to get back to normal, but the path back to normality is controlling the virus, not pretending it doesn't exist.

Brother Pakuni:

Normal is getting a frickin vaccine!

Quantify how much of the current health care problem is due to the under 12-set and how much is due to idiots whose political, social or internet reading has misguided them into putting their damn head in the sand and not getting vaccinated? I'll bet you two seats at future Marquette game that the vast majority of the problem is the latter and is stupidity driven!!!!!!

It is an insult to our country that between 35 percent and 40 percent of our country is unvaccinated. At some point, these idiots need to stay home and bunker down while the rest of us go about our normal lives.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1540 on: September 15, 2021, 11:20:05 AM »

It is an insult to our country that between 35 percent and 40 percent of our country is unvaccinated. At some point, these idiots need to stay home and bunker down while the rest of us go about our normal lives.

They don't care that they insult you, me and our country. Indeed, it seems they rather enjoy it. Have you listened to the anti-vax politicians rail on about the indignity of the "Fauci Ouchie"?

They are the ones who absolutely will not bunker down just because they should.

Unless, of course, they are forced to because every employer, every entertainment venue, every grocery store, every restaurant, every school, every everything mandates the vaccine. Even then, they'll probably cheat and get fake documentation, but at least they'd have to work for it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1541 on: September 15, 2021, 11:22:22 AM »
Mask your kids.   And, following the science, I believe that in a couple of years that COVID will be all but defeated and that there will be far more effective treatments for the infected.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1542 on: September 15, 2021, 11:24:12 AM »
Gang

You are doing what disappoints me in the Covid-19 debate from every side since the onset of the disease. We're picking an anecdote or a possibility with no statistical support (the inevitable "what if..." question) and building public policy around what seems to be the extreme.

What I do for a living and what I've been trained to do in my profession is to follow data. I expect data driven decisions with strong probability analyses and good assessments of current market conditions. Admittedly, emotions and politics have largely engulfed critical, rational thinking.

The data and reporting I've seen since the onset of Covid-19 says the impact of the virus on the 12-and-under crowd is very negligible. In the Chicago Catholic School System, they met in person and there, to my knowledge, was no material outbreak of Covid-19 among either the students or teachers. Everybody screams about Florida as of late. I'd sure like to see where the outbreak is occurring -- whether it is 12-and-under set or whether it's the unvaccinated morons.]I'd sure like to see where the outbreak is occurring -- whether it is 12-and-under set or whether it's the unvaccinated morons. Until such data is available, everything is speculation. In my case, I default toward the mean and look 1 standard deviation to the left or right. That's something we have not seen in this pandemic.

And incidentally, when someone comes out with the "it will kill us all" models, I'd sure like to see someone validate the assumptions that went into those models. That and a sensitivity analysis around the most critical variables.

I'd sure like to see the vaccine for 12-and-under as well.

The outbreak is known to be originating and propagating in schools. The wave of infections in Florida and TX occurred in conjunction with two things, end of summer trips, and school starting (no masks). That caused a rapid rise in infections in school aged children who then propagated it through entire families (both vaccinated and unvaccinated).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-schools-positive-pediatric-covid-19-cases/

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/covid-19-impacting-children-teens-more-than-any-other-age-group-in-florida/

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/florida-child-hospitalizations-at-68-per-day-as-childrens-hospitals-under-an-unprecedented-strain/

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/12/1036387346/more-public-school-students-are-getting-covid-in-texas-as-fights-over-masks-ensu

https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/300-kids-have-tested-positive-for-covid-19-in-the-last-24-hours/285-ce0b546d-8f85-4fa5-bc9d-9052bf7db6c4

So with all due respect, you are not following the data at this point. Infections amongst unvaccinated children are driving the current surge, and overwhelming hospitals, both in children and adults.

I agree with you that we need mandates on vaccines for everyone (where it is approved), but until it available in children, we will not be returning to normal. Further, all those against masks, and vaccines are providing a breeding ground for more variants that are even more infectious and which may evade our current vaccines.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1543 on: September 15, 2021, 12:01:55 PM »

You're vaccinated, it's not directed at you.

School kids get vaccinated and I'm 100% with your thoughts.

mix it up

• Walk-On
« Reply #1544 on: September 15, 2021, 12:20:44 PM »
Does Covid get an "I closed wolski's" sticker for taking her down?

The winner! ;D ;D

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1545 on: September 15, 2021, 12:29:05 PM »

The data and reporting I've seen since the onset of Covid-19 says the impact of the virus on the 12-and-under crowd is very negligible. In the Chicago Catholic School System, they met in person and there, to my knowledge, was no material outbreak of Covid-19 among either the students or teachers. Everybody screams about Florida as of late. I'd sure like to see where the outbreak is occurring -- whether it is 12-and-under set or whether it's the unvaccinated morons. Until such data is available, everything is speculation.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#demographicsovertime

Nationwide data if you want it.

And new hospitalization data. Look at what happened end of summer/early school year for 0-17 data (especially in the southern states).

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#new-hospital-admissions

Or compare Florida (no masks in schools) to any of the states that did mandate masks.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:34:56 PM by forgetful »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1546 on: September 15, 2021, 01:40:45 PM »
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#demographicsovertime

Nationwide data if you want it.

And new hospitalization data. Look at what happened end of summer/early school year for 0-17 data (especially in the southern states).

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#new-hospital-admissions

Or compare Florida (no masks in schools) to any of the states that did mandate masks.

OK, but of you look at the national statistics in August, when they spiked, and compare them to now, you have a very different picture. For the week of 9/11 and 9/18, the spikes tailed off and the surge is much, much less, including young children.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #1547 on: September 15, 2021, 02:15:09 PM »

You know the ICUs are actually flooded due to covid, right?

https://www.dph.illinois.gov/covid19/hospitalization-utilization

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1548 on: September 15, 2021, 02:16:23 PM »
Brother Pakuni:

Normal is getting a frickin vaccine!

Quantify how much of the current health care problem is due to the under 12-set and how much is due to idiots whose political, social or internet reading has misguided them into putting their damn head in the sand and not getting vaccinated? I'll bet you two seats at future Marquette game that the vast majority of the problem is the latter and is stupidity driven!!!!!!

Brother d,

We agree on all this, but none of it answers what I asked. Why do you consider occasional mask wearing an affront to the normal, but not any of the other things I mentioned (i.e. overwhelmed ICUs, thousands of deaths, etc.).
Is what you're saying is that you want to get back to yournormal?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1549 on: September 15, 2021, 02:17:26 PM »

feedback