collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180791 times)

pacearrow02

• Starter
Re: Masks
« Reply #1475 on: September 01, 2021, 10:40:26 PM »
So, are making the case that mask mandates should require surgical masks, since they've been proven effective?
I'm all ears.

Goodness, can you read?  That table I attached to the last post shows no statistical difference for people 50 and under who wore surgical masks numb nuts.  Just like my original post said.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1476 on: September 01, 2021, 11:37:51 PM »
Goodness, can you read?  That table I attached to the last post shows no statistical difference for people 50 and under who wore surgical masks numb nuts.  Just like my original post said.

Uh oh. Somebody's triggered.
Of course, as is always the case, you're ignoring facts that don't suit your narrative.

The researchers emphasize that this reduction in infections was achieved with just 42% of people wearing masks. The effect of near-universal mask-wearing may be several times larger, they estimate. The increased protection from infection for older individuals, who are more at risk, is also significant.
“It would be a big mistake to infer from our paper that masks can only prevent 10% of infections,” says Abaluck. “We think what the results show is that masks are an incredibly powerful tool to reduce symptomatic COVID infections and particularly to reduce symptomatic COVID infections in the people who are most vulnerable to death or very serious illness.”

https://insights.som.yale.edu/insights/in-first-randomized-study-shows-that-masks-reduce-covid-19-infections

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1477 on: September 02, 2021, 06:19:32 AM »
Thanks, I did.  Did you?

“No statistically significant decrease”

You didn't read sh!t, or you can't comprehend it.  Stop looking to twitter clip chimps to explain things for you. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1478 on: September 02, 2021, 06:24:48 AM »
You didn't read sh!t, or you can't comprehend it.  Stop looking to twitter clip chimps to explain things for you.

Now you’re projecting.  Pages 22-30 is the good stuff big boy.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1479 on: September 02, 2021, 06:26:24 AM »

As exceptionally varied are opinions on Joe Rogan, here’s one thing we all now have to agree on: Joe Rogan does not have cow worms.

But he probably does have a ton of brain trauma.

Where we really went wrong as a society is when people started trusting a comedian who masquerades as an MMA fighter who masquerades as a pseudo-intellectual.

But then I look at his fervent audience and remember that Joe is literally the physical manifestation of internet culture.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1480 on: September 02, 2021, 06:35:53 AM »

Where we really went wrong as a society is when people started trusting a comedian who masquerades as an MMA fighter who masquerades as a pseudo-intellectual.

But then I look at his fervent audience and remember that Joe is literally the physical manifestation of internet culture.

Guy has concerns about the vaccine.

Then uses monoclonal antibodies that only have emergency use....

?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1481 on: September 02, 2021, 06:44:53 AM »
Now you’re projecting.  Pages 22-30 is the good stuff big boy.

Again, I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... But I'd better try or you'll have another tantrum.  I'll entitle this response, "How to get sh!t on, intellectually, in three acts"

ACT I

We found clear evidence that surgical masks are effective in reducing symptomatic seropreva-
lence of SARS-CoV-2; while cloth masks clearly reduce symptoms, we cannot reject that they have
zero or only a small impact on symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infections (perhaps reducing symptoms
of other respiratory diseases). Additionally, we found evidence that surgical masks were no less
likely to be adopted than cloth masks (perhaps slightly more likely). Thus, surgical masks have
higher filtration efficiency, are cheaper, are consistently worn, and are better supported by our
evidence as tools to reduce COVID-19.

This means that surgical masks work better than cloth masks based on their data.

ACT II

Our results should not be taken to imply that masks can prevent only 10% of COVID-19 cases,
let alone 10% of COVID-19 mortality. Our intervention induced 29 more people out of every
100 to wear masks, with 42% of people wearing masks in total. The total impact with near-
universal masking–perhaps achievable with alternative strategies or stricter enforcement–may be
several times larger than our 10% estimate. Additionally, the intervention reduced symptomatic
seroprevalence more when surgical masks were used, and even more for the highest-risk individu-
als in our sample (23% for ages 50-60 and 35% for ages 60+). These numbers likely give a better
sense of the impact of our intervention on severe morbidity and mortality, since most of the disease
burden is borne by the elderly. Where achievable, universal mask adoption is likely to have still
larger impacts.

This says masks work.

ACT III

In summary, we found that mask distribution, role modeling, and promotion in a LMIC setting
increased mask-wearing and physical distancing, leading to lower illness, particularly in older
adults. We find stronger support for the use of surgical masks than cloth masks to prevent COVID-
19. Whether people with respiratory symptoms should generally wear masks to prevent respiratory
virus transmission—including for viruses other than SARS-CoV-2—is an important area for future
research. Our findings suggest that such a policy may benefit public health

In summary, I stand by my original comment.  You didn't read the study, couldn't understand it if you did, and you relied on a biased twitter thread for your information.  I'm truly shocked.

Just kidding.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1482 on: September 02, 2021, 06:47:44 AM »

?

Don't forget that he used a bunch of other garbage to attempt to give his previous beliefs credibility... So that when he feels better he can say 'they all helped'.  It's what intellectually dishonest people do all the time.

Realistically, monoclonal antibodies are amazing and that was all he probably needed.  But yes, it is nice to be able to get them... because you're wealthy.

He's an amazing example of a hypocrite.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1483 on: September 02, 2021, 08:30:41 AM »

COVID aside, Rogan’s biggest strengths are that he is inquisitive/curious about a lot of stuff, a good interviewer, and attempts to engage with his guests, even if he’s out of his depth.  It makes for entertaining listening and I’m sure is good conversation otherwise.  However, his rabid fans have somehow morphed that into him being some brilliant modern Davinci renaissance man. I enjoy him depending on the guest but the deification is kind of weird

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1484 on: September 02, 2021, 08:36:31 AM »

?

He has no vaccine worries. It’s all political posturing for his audience.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1485 on: September 02, 2021, 09:39:37 AM »
He has no vaccine worries. It’s all political posturing for his audience.

It's not political with him.  You might find this hard to believe, but not everything is.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1486 on: September 02, 2021, 10:22:45 AM »
It's not political with him.  You might find this hard to believe, but not everything is.

Yea, he's far more of a libertarian than some MAGA champion which his critics like to make him out to be.  Hell, he endorsed Bernie.  I don't agree with a lot of his COVID takes, but he's flat out said "if you want to get the vaccine, you should get the vaccine".  He's gotten a bit galaxy brained worrying about how hard the government/media is pushing it but he's far from some alt-right angled demon seed vax hater.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1487 on: September 02, 2021, 10:37:24 AM »
Did you read the study?  Nothing I said was inaccurate if you actually read it.

And I’m the uninterested one?!?!?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1488 on: September 02, 2021, 10:39:12 AM »
Yea, he's far more of a libertarian than some MAGA champion which his critics like to make him out to be.  Hell, he endorsed Bernie.  I don't agree with a lot of his COVID takes, but he's flat out said "if you want to get the vaccine, you should get the vaccine".  He's gotten a bit galaxy brained worrying about how hard the government/media is pushing it but he's far from some alt-right angled demon seed vax hater.

I'm not a listener, so I have no particular thoughts on him one way or another.
But I do find it ironic that a straight white man who gets paid $100 million to talk to an audience of millions uses that platform to complain that straight white men aren't being allowed to talk.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #1489 on: September 02, 2021, 10:48:31 AM »
But I do find it ironic that a straight white man who gets paid $100 million to talk to an audience of millions uses that platform to complain that straight white men aren't being allowed to talk.
I'm not a listener either but he strikes me as one prime example of American's equating fame/platform with intelligence/authority on any subject. He realizes this and positions many of his POVs to rile his listeners and/or play into their victimhood in order to make money..........he's a grifter.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1490 on: September 02, 2021, 11:09:25 AM »

I'm not a Rogan fanatic, just want to put it out there, but I think the Devil's Advocate angle is, he comes from the comedy world where for a long time, you could say whatever you want as long as its funny.  And now that's no longer the case, right or wrong.  Its a little different than just feeling fragile and personally aggrieved.  It doesn't make it any less off base, but its a bit more nuanced.

I'm not a listener either but he strikes me as one prime example of American's equating fame/platform with intelligence/authority on any subject. He realizes this and positions many of his POVs to rile his listeners and/or play into their victimhood in order to make money..........he's a grifter.

I agree with your first part, but I think people overuse "grifter" these days.  I don't often get the impression he doesn't believe what he says and he's playing some schtick for money.  I do, however, think that he's got an inflated view of himself and his viewpoints and the intellectual force he feels he possesses...because of how people hang on his every word and view him as a tastemaking expert.  He feels he's super knowledgeable and right in his views, so he shares them often, and when people push back, he gets miffed and strikes out, which riles up his fanboys.  I honestly think he's authentic to a fault.  Cause he mixes some really good entertaining stuff with great guests with his wacky, "thought way too hard about this when I was high" nonsense.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1491 on: September 02, 2021, 11:20:25 AM »
I'm not a Rogan fanatic, just want to put it out there, but I think the Devil's Advocate angle is, he comes from the comedy world where for a long time, you could say whatever you want as long as its funny.  And now that's no longer the case, right or wrong.  Its a little different than just feeling fragile and personally aggrieved.  It doesn't make it any less off base, but its a bit more nuanced.

I think it's more a matter that jokes made at the expense of others' race, ethnicity, gender, disability, etc., are no longer considered funny, in particular when the joke is made from a position of privilege (i.e. punching down vs punching up).

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1492 on: September 02, 2021, 11:54:54 AM »

I never said he was MAGA. He goes for the same audience as all the FM radio shocks jocks. Pseudo-macho men. Still a very political audience.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #1493 on: September 02, 2021, 01:21:16 PM »
I agree with your first part, but I think people overuse "grifter" these days.  I don't often get the impression he doesn't believe what he says and he's playing some schtick for money.  I do, however, think that he's got an inflated view of himself and his viewpoints and the intellectual force he feels he possesses...because of how people hang on his every word and view him as a tastemaking expert.  He feels he's super knowledgeable and right in his views, so he shares them often, and when people push back, he gets miffed and strikes out, which riles up his fanboys.  I honestly think he's authentic to a fault.  Cause he mixes some really good entertaining stuff with great guests with his wacky, "thought way too hard about this when I was high" nonsense.

We're in agreement on 95+%.

My use of 'grift' is because he directly benefits financially by riling up a large portion of his audience specifically in areas where they are susceptible to being mislead or riled up. In contrast to others (athletes for example) that do not directly benefit financially by using their platform.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1494 on: September 10, 2021, 09:11:31 AM »
I never said he was MAGA. He goes for the same audience as all the FM radio shocks jocks. Pseudo-macho men. Still a very political audience.

At least rogan put his money where his mouth is when he was fighting. Unlike a lot of the other guys who talk big to rile people up.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1495 on: September 10, 2021, 09:33:32 AM »
At least rogan put his money where his mouth is when he was fighting. Unlike a lot of the other guys who talk big to rile people up.

How did Rogan do that?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1496 on: September 10, 2021, 10:53:51 AM »
How did Rogan do that?

vs someone like rush being a fat blob talking about how he'd like to hit (insert left leaning political figure) at least Rogan genuinely got in shape and trained to throw punches and what not. The general point that I was making was that a lot of radio psuedo macho guys are out of shape guys that talk big whereas Joe actually competed and trained etc.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 11:56:08 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1497 on: September 10, 2021, 11:26:27 AM »
Between someone like rush being a fat blob talking about how he'd like to hit (insert left leaning political figure) at least Rogan genuinely got in shape and trained to throw punches and what not. The general point that I was making was that a lot of radio psuedo macho guys are out of shape guys that talk big whereas Joe actually competed and trained etc.

Not even "got into shape", he was a very accomplished martial artist in his youth, won a bunch of competitions and was a kickboxer for awhile.  As he got into MMA, he picked up multiple jujitsu black belts as an adult.

There is a reason Rogan does color commentary for MMA fights.  He's extremely knowledgeable and respected in and around the sport.  There are multiple fighters who have said his leg kicks are as strong and powerful as any pro.

You can say what you will about Rogan, and sure he is conscious that he is riling people up, but he's authentic to a fault.  Everything he repeatedly drones on about, topics he continually revists, he absolutely believes in and walks the walk to back the talk.  Doesn't mean he's right or some of those beliefs aren't moronic or looney, but he's much more authentic than most talking heads.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1498 on: September 10, 2021, 12:44:47 PM »

Fair enough.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1499 on: September 10, 2021, 12:55:39 PM »
vs someone like rush being a fat blob talking about how he'd like to hit (insert left leaning political figure) at least Rogan genuinely got in shape and trained to throw punches and what not. The general point that I was making was that a lot of radio psuedo macho guys are out of shape guys that talk big whereas Joe actually competed and trained etc.

Better living through chemistry

feedback