[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180656 times)

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
Re: Masks
« Reply #1400 on: August 19, 2021, 10:33:23 AM »
It's amazing how different areas & parts of the country/state are.  Obviously, politics and the news that people choose to consume has a huge influence on how they perceive Covid and just act in general.

At my employer people have been coming back as normal for months, with no mask/vaccine/distancing requirements.  At least 200+ people a day in the same building for the last 3 months, and more like 400+ for the past month.  Masks are voluntary but strongly suggested if not vaccinated.  Employees are not required to be vaccinated or provide their vaccination status, but all corporate messaging strongly encourages vaccination.  Meeting rooms, lunch rooms, cubicle & office set ups are completely as they were in 2019.  On a daily basis, you'll maybe see 1 or 2 people walking around common areas with a mask.  Around the community and local public places, I would say masking is maybe 10-20%? 

I know positive cases in the area are higher but I don't believe local hospitals are being overrun with ICU patients or anything like that.  My wife who is a RN at one of the hospitals has said there has been no message of capacity concerns. 

Not making a statement one way or another, regarding which 'way' I agree with- just fascinating how difference things can be and feel from one area to another, a total opposite example from the SF and Madison areas.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1401 on: August 19, 2021, 12:39:25 PM »
It's amazing how different areas & parts of the country/state are.  Obviously, politics and the news that people choose to consume has a huge influence on how they perceive Covid and just act in general.

At my employer people have been coming back as normal for months, with no mask/vaccine/distancing requirements.  At least 200+ people a day in the same building for the last 3 months, and more like 400+ for the past month.  Masks are voluntary but strongly suggested if not vaccinated.  Employees are not required to be vaccinated or provide their vaccination status, but all corporate messaging strongly encourages vaccination.  Meeting rooms, lunch rooms, cubicle & office set ups are completely as they were in 2019.  On a daily basis, you'll maybe see 1 or 2 people walking around common areas with a mask.  Around the community and local public places, I would say masking is maybe 10-20%? 

I know positive cases in the area are higher but I don't believe local hospitals are being overrun with ICU patients or anything like that.  My wife who is a RN at one of the hospitals has said there has been no message of capacity concerns. 

Not making a statement one way or another, regarding which 'way' I agree with- just fascinating how difference things can be and feel from one area to another, a total opposite example from the SF and Madison areas.

Either:
1. Your place of employment has a very high vaccination rate
2. Your place of employment has been very fortunate

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1402 on: August 19, 2021, 01:20:55 PM »

Thanks for that interesting info, Grimm.

Where do you live? If you'd rather not give the city, maybe just the state?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1403 on: August 19, 2021, 06:58:24 PM »
Or maybe mitigation steps work?  We can make fun of the extremes because it is quite funny.  But it’s not like we don’t know how to tamp this down at this point. 

https://twitter.com/bob_wachter/status/1428411925315031047?s=21

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #1404 on: August 20, 2021, 07:58:09 AM »
Either:
1. Your place of employment has a very high vaccination rate
2. Your place of employment has been very fortunate

1)  Probably.  It's probably considered a 'white collar' employer and a vast majority of employees have at least a bachelor's degree so most are 'educated.'  If I had to guesstimate, I'm assuming at least 75% are probably vaccinated.

2)  Maybe, maybe not.  As I said, it's pretty much back to normal in my whole area & community.  My employer is not the only place in the area that has people back to work without requiring masks, distancing, or proof of vaccination.  I would bet if you were to mass test everyone, there would be employees, or people in the community, who would test positive but have minor or no symptoms, especially if they have the vaccine.  Seems like that is going to be the new normal.  It's also clearly the case since case counts are up.  Thankfully, hospitals aren't being overrun and the death count isn't piling up like crazy in our area, again probably because most people that are high risk have gotten the vaccine.

Again, not choosing sides just sharing the opposite end of the spectrum compared to other areas that were mentioned here.

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #1405 on: August 20, 2021, 08:00:11 AM »
Thanks for that interesting info, Grimm.

Where do you live? If you'd rather not give the city, maybe just the state?

Wisconsin- not Dane County though, as I said. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1406 on: August 20, 2021, 08:17:18 AM »
Wisconsin- not Dane County though, as I said.

Thanks. I obviously missed that. Stay well.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1407 on: August 20, 2021, 11:21:55 AM »
My town's board of commissioners just mandated that masks be worn in any indoor public place, business, or establishment, starting at 5 p.m. today "due to the increase in Covid-19 cases, hospitalizations, and positivity rate in our community."

The county's mandate was gonna kick in soon, anyway, so I'm glad my town was more proactive.

I'm also glad we don't have a governor who has tried to forbid our town and county from doing this.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1408 on: August 20, 2021, 02:12:18 PM »
No words for this.

I take that back: there are plenty of words. If you are pissed off about mask mandates, or are whining about your "freedom" in anyway, these are the people to blame...and yourself if you support them politically.

Maine Lawmaker Whose Wife Just Died of COVID Joins Anti-Vaxx Rally
https://www.thedailybeast.com/chris-johansen-maine-lawmaker-whose-wife-cindy-johansen-died-of-covid-joins-anti-vaxx-rally?ref=home

"A Republican legislator in Maine who lost his wife to COVID-19 last week appeared at a rally on Tuesday that featured a GOP colleague who compared the state’s Democratic governor to a Nazi doctor who performed deadly experiments on Jews during the Holocaust.

State Rep. Heidi Sampson delivered a speech to the crowd that baselessly accused Gov. Janet Mills, who has introduced a vaccine mandate for health-care workers, of operating a government campaign to test “experimental” vaccines on unknowing citizens.

She described Mills as the “reincarnated” Nazi doctor Josef Mengele, who performed deadly experiments on Jewish people in Auschwitz death camps during the Holocaust.

“Do I need to remind you of the late 1930s and into the 40s in Germany. And the experiments with Josef Mengele,” Sampson said according to a video from the event posted online. “What was it? A shot. And these were crimes against humanity. And what came out of that? The Nuremberg Code. The Nuremberg Trial. Informed consent is at the top and violating that is punishable by death.”

According to the Bangor Daily News, neither Chris Johansen nor his wife Cindy, who served as corresponding secretary for the Aroostook County Republicans, had been vaccinated against COVID when she first began describing her symptoms on Facebook last month."

Oh yeah, and thrown in this unnatural carnal knowledgeer while you we're at it

GOP Leader Who Fought Against Vaccine Dies After Weekslong Battle With Coronavirus

'Pressley Stutts, a Republican leader in South Carolina who fought COVID-19 vaccination efforts, died on Thursday of the coronavirus after a weekslong battle, including six days spent on a ventilator, The Greenville News reported.

Stutts, a 64-year-old veteran, frequently shared conspiracy theories about the virus, the vaccines and the 2020 election on Facebook, including in posts made from his ICU bed."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:15:48 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1409 on: August 20, 2021, 02:15:24 PM »
No words for this.

I take that back: there are plenty of words. If you are pissed off about mask mandates, or are whining about your "freedom" in anyway, these are the people to blame...and yourself if you support them politically.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/chris-johansen-maine-lawmaker-whose-wife-cindy-johansen-died-of-covid-joins-anti-vaxx-rally?ref=home

"A Republican legislator in Maine who lost his wife to COVID-19 last week appeared at a rally on Tuesday that featured a GOP colleague who compared the state’s Democratic governor to a Nazi doctor who performed deadly experiments on Jews during the Holocaust.

State Rep. Heidi Sampson delivered a speech to the crowd that baselessly accused Gov. Janet Mills, who has introduced a vaccine mandate for health-care workers, of operating a government campaign to test “experimental” vaccines on unknowing citizens.

She described Mills as the “reincarnated” Nazi doctor Josef Mengele, who performed deadly experiments on Jewish people in Auschwitz death camps during the Holocaust.

“Do I need to remind you of the late 1930s and into the 40s in Germany. And the experiments with Josef Mengele,” Sampson said according to a video from the event posted online. “What was it? A shot. And these were crimes against humanity. And what came out of that? The Nuremberg Code. The Nuremberg Trial. Informed consent is at the top and violating that is punishable by death.”

According to the Bangor Daily News, neither Chris Johansen nor his wife Cindy, who served as corresponding secretary for the Aroostook County Republicans, had been vaccinated against COVID when she first began describing her symptoms on Facebook last month."

It honestly makes me wonder what it will take to change people’s minds. Deaths of friends and family don’t seem to be a motivation for many to go get vaccinated.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1410 on: August 20, 2021, 02:28:18 PM »
No words for this.

Oh yeah, and thrown in this unnatural carnal knowledgeer while you we're at it

GOP Leader Who Fought Against Vaccine Dies After Weekslong Battle With Coronavirus

'Pressley Stutts, a Republican leader in South Carolina who fought COVID-19 vaccination efforts, died on Thursday of the coronavirus after a weekslong battle, including six days spent on a ventilator, The Greenville News reported.

Stutts, a 64-year-old veteran, frequently shared conspiracy theories about the virus, the vaccines and the 2020 election on Facebook, including in posts made from his ICU bed."

Is this lunacy? Or just effen scary? I worry about the future of our once-great democratic republic.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1411 on: August 20, 2021, 02:47:15 PM »
Finally a little good news out of Texas, as Abbott's mandate ban hits a judicial wall ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/20/texas-court-masks-schools-abbott/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F3473d46%2F611fd2389d2fda2f47ffdd48%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F27%2F76%2F611fd2389d2fda2f47ffdd48

The Texas Supreme Court on Thursday denied Gov. Greg Abbott’s request to block temporary restraining orders on his ban on mask mandates, allowing schools that are requiring face coverings in defiance of the state to proceed.

The court, whose justices are elected and currently all Republicans, cited a provision of the Texas Rules of Appellate Procedure for why the request was denied. The one-sentence order provided no additional details.

The state’s high court rejected the efforts of Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) to block temporary restraining orders issued by Travis County Judge Jan Soifer. Parents in Travis County, home to Austin, with children under age 12 who are not eligible to receive a coronavirus vaccine, filed the orders, saying the Republican governor’s ban on mask mandates was a threat to public health. Soifer barred enforcement of Abbott’s ban, clearing the way for mask requirements in Harris County and eight school districts.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1412 on: August 20, 2021, 04:11:54 PM »
Finally a little good news out of Texas, as Abbott's mandate ban hits a judicial wall ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/20/texas-court-masks-schools-abbott/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F3473d46%2F611fd2389d2fda2f47ffdd48%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F27%2F76%2F611fd2389d2fda2f47ffdd48

The Texas Supreme Court on Thursday denied Gov. Greg Abbott’s request to block temporary restraining orders on his ban on mask mandates, allowing schools that are requiring face coverings in defiance of the state to proceed.

The court, whose justices are elected and currently all Republicans, cited a provision of the Texas Rules of Appellate Procedure for why the request was denied. The one-sentence order provided no additional details.

The state’s high court rejected the efforts of Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) to block temporary restraining orders issued by Travis County Judge Jan Soifer. Parents in Travis County, home to Austin, with children under age 12 who are not eligible to receive a coronavirus vaccine, filed the orders, saying the Republican governor’s ban on mask mandates was a threat to public health. Soifer barred enforcement of Abbott’s ban, clearing the way for mask requirements in Harris County and eight school districts.

Abbott got what he wanted
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1413 on: August 20, 2021, 04:47:44 PM »
Abbott got what he wanted

Yep. Abbott doesn't care whether kids wear masks or not. He just wants the base to think he cares.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1414 on: August 20, 2021, 05:08:39 PM »
Yep. Abbott doesn't care whether kids wear masks or not. He just wants the base to think he cares.

He has to try to maintain his poll numbers within striking distance of DiSantis somehow.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1415 on: August 20, 2021, 07:32:11 PM »

He's in a potentially serious re-election fight, because a lot of the GOP base thinks he is too liberal.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1416 on: August 22, 2021, 02:41:28 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1418 on: August 22, 2021, 08:43:28 PM »
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/08/the-science-of-masking-kids-at-school-remains-uncertain.html?utm_source=tw&utm_campaign=nym&utm_medium=s1

Given the exponential growth of infections among children in the past four weeks, how valid is a report published in May that's based on data collected in NovemberandDecember?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1419 on: August 22, 2021, 08:57:30 PM »
Given the exponential growth of infections among children in the past four weeks, how valid is a report published in May that's based on data collected in NovemberandDecember?

Ok, mark  Pakuni down in the column of not following the science.   Unless schools mandate N95s it’s all political theater.  I’m ok with the argument of encouraging masks  because why not, but to suggest there’s overwhelming peer reviewed evidence out there would not be correct.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1420 on: August 22, 2021, 09:04:40 PM »
Ok, mark  Pakuni down in the column of not following the science.   Unless schools mandate N95s it’s all political theater.  I’m ok with the argument of encouraging masks  because why not, but to suggest there’s overwhelming peer reviewed evidence out there would not be correct.

Aside from lame rhetorical tricks that display your puerilirty, can you answer the question?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1421 on: August 22, 2021, 09:08:23 PM »
Aside from lame rhetorical tricks that display your puerilirty, can you answer the question?

What was my question?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1422 on: August 22, 2021, 09:12:12 PM »
Data collected before delta existed seems useless.

Amazing fact, before the civil war, there was never a single plane crash!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1423 on: August 22, 2021, 09:13:05 PM »
What was my question?

You're not good at this.
Can you answer my question, please?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1424 on: August 22, 2021, 09:27:36 PM »
You're not good at this.
Can you answer my question, please?

If you can’t figure out that I think the data was relevant, hence me posting it and you now need me to spell that out for you here you go.

feedback