collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180945 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: Masks
« Reply #1000 on: November 28, 2020, 09:12:22 PM »
B.S.  no target visit is under 10 minutes or $100.

Very true normally :).

But I did have a rare trip to Target yesterday to pick up some medicine - went in and got that and one other little thing I wanted and got out of there in less than 10 minutes spending only $16 total.  But I live one mile from a Target and have had a few other recent visits there that lasted longer and cost me more money of course :).  I should have picked up my limit of one for toilet paper yesterday though as people seem to be back to hoarding that - there's not much TP to be found there or at the local grocery store.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1001 on: November 29, 2020, 08:13:19 AM »
 I can. I don’t particularly like to shop, and I don’t like large stores. If I know what I want, I can head right there and back out again.
My only-ever trip to IKEA, I did just that. I went to get something particular as a gift, one of my friends told me precisely how to do that, so I never went to the display area at all. I admit to buying something additional at the check-out line, but I was in and out in a flash.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1002 on: November 29, 2020, 10:01:46 AM »
I can. I don’t particularly like to shop, and I don’t like large stores. If I know what I want, I can head right there and back out again.
My only-ever trip to IKEA, I did just that. I went to get something particular as a gift, one of my friends told me precisely how to do that, so I never went to the display area at all. I admit to buying something additional at the check-out line, but I was in and out in a flash.

Yep. My typical (very infrequent) trip to a Target or Walmart is exactly like that. I only go because something I need is on sale and not available (or more expensive) online. So I plan exactly what I want, grab it, go through the express checkout, and leave. I get that people like you and me are exceptions, but it certainly can be done. And for those who claim mask wearing impedes their breathing, it eliminates that excuse.

Also for the anti-mask snowflakes, there is online grocery shopping and delivery. Some even offer free delivery if you meet the minimum purchase, like Costco's online service, which includes free delivery for orders over $75 (very easy at Costco).

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1003 on: November 29, 2020, 10:07:37 AM »
I haven’t spent $100 at Target visit in years.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1004 on: November 29, 2020, 12:36:34 PM »

Also for the anti-mask snowflakes, there is online grocery shopping and delivery. Some even offer free delivery if you meet the minimum purchase, like Costco's online service, which includes free delivery for orders over $75 (very easy at Costco).

While technically true, it’s really just Instacart, which at Costco, I’ve seen the price inflation easily 20-25 percent.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1005 on: November 29, 2020, 02:29:17 PM »
While technically true, it’s really just Instacart, which at Costco, I’ve seen the price inflation easily 20-25 percent.

Depends on what you buy. For perishables, you are correct.

But I buy many non-perishable foods from Costco (nuts, granola, dried fruits, salsa, canned tomatoes, pasta and such), and they ship directly from Costco with no markup and no involvement with Instacart.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1006 on: November 29, 2020, 02:30:49 PM »

Depends on what you buy. For perishables, you are correct.

But I buy many non-perishable foods from Costco (nuts, granola, dried fruits, salsa, canned tomatoes, pasta and such), and they ship directly from Costco with no markup and no involvement with Instacart.

Ah, interesting.  Good to know!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1007 on: December 05, 2020, 07:50:22 AM »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1008 on: December 05, 2020, 08:15:18 AM »
Anecdotal but true, and shows the importance of masks and social distancing. One of my former students had a grandparent die, and the family held a small funeral (40-45 people). They and their partner were two of only 3 people that didn't get COVID at the funeral. They were the only two who wore masks and tried their best to socially distance.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1009 on: December 05, 2020, 12:00:43 PM »
Anecdotal but true, and shows the importance of masks and social distancing. One of my former students had a grandparent die, and the family held a small funeral (40-45 people). They and their partner were two of only 3 people that didn't get COVID at the funeral. They were the only two who wore masks and tried their best to socially distance.

I have been at one small funeral - about 50 people. Everybody wore a mask. Everybody social distanced. Zero people were infected.

I really hope the deaths stop, but I just can't care anymore when people won't even take the most basic, proven steps to prevent themselves from getting sick.

Can't we even expect people to take personal responsibility anymore? We have people on this board who traveled and got together over Thanksgiving. I assume many will do the same for Christmas. What is wrong here? These aren't stupid people, yet they act as though they are.

burger

• All American
« Reply #1010 on: December 05, 2020, 02:41:03 PM »
For those who care......

Cloth masks.....50% effective.....

KN95 masks......75ish%

N95 masks......90ish%

KN95 are about 20 for $10......I use 1 a week.....I have the N95's but only use those in long exposure/higher risks settings.....N95's are expensive and are about $8-$9......

Walmart sells 70% isopropyl alcohol online for under $3 a bottle.....But it in an old Windex bottle and use it after you touch anything.....Go through a bottle every week or so.....I just carry it with me everywhere.....I honestly don't give a $hit.....I have a "high risk condition"......

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1011 on: December 05, 2020, 03:50:25 PM »
For those who care......

Cloth masks.....50% effective.....

KN95 masks......75ish%

N95 masks......90ish%

KN95 are about 20 for $10......I use 1 a week.....I have the N95's but only use those in long exposure/higher risks settings.....N95's are expensive and are about $8-$9......

Walmart sells 70% isopropyl alcohol online for under $3 a bottle.....But it in an old Windex bottle and use it after you touch anything.....Go through a bottle every week or so.....I just carry it with me everywhere.....I honestly don't give a $hit.....I have a "high risk condition"......

Are those percentages of particles going out or in?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1012 on: December 05, 2020, 08:14:45 PM »
I have been at one small funeral - about 50 people. Everybody wore a mask. Everybody social distanced. Zero people were infected.

I really hope the deaths stop, but I just can't care anymore when people won't even take the most basic, proven steps to prevent themselves from getting sick.

Can't we even expect people to take personal responsibility anymore? We have people on this board who traveled and got together over Thanksgiving. I assume many will do the same for Christmas. What is wrong here? These aren't stupid people, yet they act as though they are.

The former student comes from a part of the country where everyone (except for them and the sig other) proudly wear red colored hats with a specific slogan on them.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1013 on: December 05, 2020, 08:41:20 PM »
The former student comes from a part of the country where everyone (except for them and the sig other) proudly wear red colored hats with a specific slogan on them.

???

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1014 on: December 05, 2020, 09:19:39 PM »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1015 on: December 08, 2020, 10:13:01 AM »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1016 on: December 08, 2020, 11:15:19 AM »
A great choice. Great track record. She will restore the CDC back to its rightful place as the premier organization of its type in the world.

It will once again be about disease control instead of politics.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1017 on: December 08, 2020, 09:59:31 PM »
"In Idaho, officials had to shut down a *virtual* public meeting on covid b/c anti-mask protestors were banging on the doors at their houses during the call."
https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1336483828349751296

Chicos, hey?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1018 on: December 08, 2020, 10:50:48 PM »
"In Idaho, officials had to shut down a *virtual* public meeting on covid b/c anti-mask protestors were banging on the doors at their houses during the call."
https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1336483828349751296

Chicos, hey?

All because of one man.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1019 on: December 09, 2020, 06:06:28 AM »
All because of one man.

Hardly.  Cmon.  Have you not been paying attention?

That one man could have helped, but people not trusting in government expertise has been a rot in this country for the last few decades.  How many people even on this board have uttered the "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" phrase in jest? 

The fact is that even when the government is actually trying to be helpful, it has been undermined for years.  It's going to take a LONG time for that to wash out of the system.  And likely never will because it's politically beneficial for some.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1020 on: December 09, 2020, 09:30:49 AM »

That one man could have helped, but people not trusting in government expertise has been a rot in this country for the last few decades.  How many people even on this board have uttered the "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" phrase in jest? 

The fact is that even when the government is actually trying to be helpful, it has been undermined for years.  It's going to take a LONG time for that to wash out of the system.  And likely never will because it's politically beneficial for some.

Hahaha I thought he was making a joke about Chicos
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1021 on: December 09, 2020, 10:14:12 AM »

You are right that it is not all because of one man. But rather than trying to help, that one man is aggressively trying to make an existing problem far worse.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1022 on: December 09, 2020, 02:45:46 PM »
The governor of South Dakota -- where people are dying of COVID-19 at a stunning pace (deaths per capita) -- might be more criminally negligent than even Trump and Rudy. Naturally, she's a hero to some.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/12/09/south-dakota-mitchell-covid-masks/?arc404=true

MITCHELL, S.D. — A cold wind whipped through the prairie as they laid Buck Timmins to rest.

Timmins, a longtime coach and referee, was not the first person in Mitchell, S.D., pop. 15,600, to die of the coronavirus. He was not even the first that week.

As the funeral director tucked blankets over the knees of Timmins’s wife, Nanci, Pastor Rhonda Wellsandt-Zell told the small group of masked mourners that just as there had been seasons in the coach’s life — basketball season, football season, volleyball season — Mitchell was now enduring a phase of its own.

Pandemic season.

In a state where the Republican governor, Kristi L. Noem, has defied calls for a statewide mask mandate even as cases hit record levels, many in this rural community an hour west of Sioux Falls ignored the virus for months, not bothering with masks or social distancing. Restaurants were packed. Big weddings and funerals went on as planned.

Then people started dying. The wife of the former bank president. A state legislator. The guy whose family has owned the bike shop since 1959. Then Timmins, a mild-spoken 72-year-old who had worked with hundreds of local kids during six decades as a Little League and high school coach and referee.

His death shook Mitchell just as its leaders were contemplating something previously denounced and dismissed: a requirement that its staunchly conservative residents wear masks.

As Wellsandt-Zell led those mourning Timmins in the hymn “Jesus Loves Me,” the rumble of an approaching helicopter cut through the sound of the singing and the mourners’ soft tears. In Mitchell, the medical emergency helicopter, once a rare occurrence, now comes nearly every day, ferrying the growing number of people desperately ill with covid-19 to a hospital that might be able to save them.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1023 on: December 09, 2020, 04:51:45 PM »
An American tragedy. All of the deaths. That's obvious.

But just as much of an American tragedy is that people won't even take 3 seconds to don a mask to save their own lives and the lives of their loved ones.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1024 on: December 09, 2020, 05:06:47 PM »
An American tragedy. All of the deaths. That's obvious.

But just as much of an American tragedy is that people won't even take 3 seconds to don a mask to save their own lives and the lives of their loved ones.

And that they won’t do it for political reasons.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback