[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180758 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Masks
« Reply #925 on: November 18, 2020, 03:04:20 PM »
Tennessee reported 72 new deaths yesterday.

Governor Bill Lee?

https://twitter.com/BrettKelman/status/1329075526321913864?s=19

Solid leadership.  >:(

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #926 on: November 18, 2020, 03:41:04 PM »
woooo the last two pages were quite the ride.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #927 on: November 18, 2020, 07:05:10 PM »
woooo the last two pages were quite the ride.

Your mom's a ride

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #929 on: November 18, 2020, 11:00:07 PM »

Solid leadership.  >:(

They just do not care.

People like us and many, many others on this board take all precautions, isolate as much as possible, always wear masks, avoid gatherings and bars, etc.

And what good does it all do when we have people like the president and these governors pleading for more people to get sick.

I'm just utterly disgusted with the stupidity of our fellow citizens and "leaders".

F trump and F the whiners who are going to complain to the mods about this.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #930 on: November 19, 2020, 07:51:01 AM »
New Monmouth Poll, 77% of DT voters say JB won due to fraud. That's about 56 million people.

And we wonder why so many won't wear a mask and won't physically distance.

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/MonmouthPoll_US_111820/

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #931 on: November 19, 2020, 08:05:19 AM »
New Monmouth Poll, 77% of DT voters say JB won due to fraud. That's about 56 million people.

And we wonder why so many won't wear a mask and won't physically distance.

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/MonmouthPoll_US_111820/
Cult
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

shoothoops

• All American

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #933 on: November 19, 2020, 01:45:51 PM »
Singapore:

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-11-19/singapore-safe-distancing-ambassadors?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true
Where, according to the picture, the distancing ambassadors monitor everyone but themselves. With power comes privilege I guess.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #934 on: November 19, 2020, 01:55:43 PM »
Where, according to the picture, the distancing ambassadors monitor everyone but themselves. With power comes privilege I guess.

To be fair, they are both wearing masks, and the offenders referred to in the article were busted for being maskless.

Maybe a better title would be 'mask ambassadors.'

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #935 on: November 19, 2020, 02:19:44 PM »
Singapore:

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-11-19/singapore-safe-distancing-ambassadors?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

Singapore is a wonderful place.  But based on their laws and more importantly the harsh punishments for breaking them, I'm not sure it's really a model that would work many other places.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #936 on: November 19, 2020, 02:35:44 PM »
Singapore is a wonderful place.  But based on their laws and more importantly the harsh punishments for breaking them, I'm not sure it's really a model that would work many other places.

People aren't wearing masks there out of fear of punishment. They are wearing masks because they know doing so protects others and themselves. Any fines, punishment etc are more symbolic gestures.

More people have died in South Dakota, population 800,000 than South Korea, population 52 million from COVID-19.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #937 on: November 19, 2020, 03:11:52 PM »
People aren't wearing masks there out of fear of punishment. They are wearing masks because they know doing so protects others and themselves. Any fines, punishment etc are more symbolic gestures.

Did you even read the article you posted?  Singapore is known for their punishments.  Sure most people do it out of compassion for their fellow humans, just like many in the US.  But don't try to sugarcoat the authoritarian hand of Singapore!

"There’s no politically tinged anti-science movement that eschews masks or claims the pandemic is a hoax. Singaporeans are so inured to surveillance in the single party-dominated state that contact tracers had little trouble rooting out clusters. Citizens even have an app for snitching on safe-distancing scofflaws, who can face hefty fines or jail time.

"“Fear of penalties are a major motivating factor behind compliance, as is the sense that nothing much can be done about such intrusive measures,” said Ja Ian Chong, a political scientist at the National University of Singapore."

" In May, a safe-distancing officer working for the National Parks Board was stabbed by a 61-year-old man trimming pandan leaves in a park without a mask on. The assailant faces life in imprisonment, though because of his more advanced age, he’ll be spared a caning."

"One 48-year-old man was fined $2,600 for cursing at a safe-distancing officer after he ordered the man’s wife to stop loitering outside a mall."

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #938 on: November 19, 2020, 03:30:18 PM »
Did you even read the article you posted?  Singapore is known for their punishments.  Sure most people do it out of compassion for their fellow humans, just like many in the US.  But don't try to sugarcoat the authoritarian hand of Singapore!

"There’s no politically tinged anti-science movement that eschews masks or claims the pandemic is a hoax. Singaporeans are so inured to surveillance in the single party-dominated state that contact tracers had little trouble rooting out clusters. Citizens even have an app for snitching on safe-distancing scofflaws, who can face hefty fines or jail time.

"“Fear of penalties are a major motivating factor behind compliance, as is the sense that nothing much can be done about such intrusive measures,” said Ja Ian Chong, a political scientist at the National University of Singapore."

" In May, a safe-distancing officer working for the National Parks Board was stabbed by a 61-year-old man trimming pandan leaves in a park without a mask on. The assailant faces life in imprisonment, though because of his more advanced age, he’ll be spared a caning."

"One 48-year-old man was fined $2,600 for cursing at a safe-distancing officer after he ordered the man’s wife to stop loitering outside a mall."

Maybe read your own post before posting. Seems you are trying to disagree to simply to disagree here.

You say, "Did you even read the article you posted?" (yep, I posted it)

You then say, "Sure most people do it out of compassion for their fellow humans."

Compliance elsewhere including Singapore is much better than the U.S. for a variety of reasons. Much of it is because they respect basic science for their own self benefit and others. The majority of people don't do so out of fear of punishment. However there are fines and punishments that exist in some places as well.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #939 on: November 19, 2020, 03:34:02 PM »
Maybe read your own post before posting. Seems you are trying to disagree to simply to disagree here.

You say, "Did you even read the article you posted?" (yep, I posted it)

You then say, "Sure most people do it out of compassion for their fellow humans."

Compliance elsewhere including Singapore is much better than the U.S. for a variety of reasons. Much of it is because they respect basic science for their own self benefit and others. The majority of people don't do so out of fear of punishment. However there are fines and punishments that exist in some places as well.

But the article mentioned Singapore...then you compared South Dakota to South Korea.

Singapore and South Korea aren't the same place. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #940 on: November 19, 2020, 03:38:27 PM »

But the article mentioned Singapore...then you compared South Dakota to South Korea.

Singapore and South Korea aren't the same place.

Yes, I posted the article about Singapore. I also compared a different country COVID-19 dead bodies to a single American State in a different place, yes. ?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #941 on: November 19, 2020, 04:05:43 PM »
After having spent a few days in Singapore last year, my first reaction as the engineer in me was how over-organized the place is.  Smoking boxes - lines painted on the sidewalk.  Where to stand getting on the SMRT. 
On my morning runs I recall seeing people sleeping on the sidewalk by the open onion shaped museum and my Singapore friends said the police have been getting lax lately. 
That being said I was on my best behavior because I didn't want caned.  Besides the alcohol was expensive too.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #942 on: November 19, 2020, 04:13:02 PM »

After having spent a few days in Singapore last year, my first reaction as the engineer in me was how over-organized the place is.  Smoking boxes - lines painted on the sidewalk.  Where to stand getting on the SMRT. 
On my morning runs I recall seeing people sleeping on the sidewalk by the open onion shaped museum and my Singapore friends said the police have been getting lax lately. 
That being said I was on my best behavior because I didn't want caned.  Besides the alcohol was expensive too.

It has been over 10 years since I have been there, but my favorite Singapore sight was a 'no trespassing' sign that had a picture of a guard aiming a rifle at a trespasser. They mean business.

By the way, the museum is shaped like a Durian. If you haven't tried one, they are quite an...ummm...treat. ?-(

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #943 on: November 19, 2020, 04:46:55 PM »
By the way, the museum is shaped like a Durian. If you haven't tried one, they are quite an...ummm...treat. ?-(

As opposed to Durian, try the carrot cake (Chai tow kway).  It is neither carrot, nor cake, but it's *actually* a delicious meal!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #944 on: November 19, 2020, 04:49:48 PM »
The majority of people don't do so out of fear of punishment.

Seriously - read!

Why should I trust you over him?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #945 on: November 19, 2020, 05:08:06 PM »
Seriously - read!

Why should I trust you over him?

You, yes you not me, literally said that "sure most people do it out of compassion for their fellow humans."

So now you are changing your previous response?

I posted the Singapore link as it was without comment or opinion.

It is my opinion (and previously was yours) that many people are wearing masks and social distancing primarily for reasons other than punishment fear. However, for those that don't, punishments can and do exist there.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 05:18:03 PM by shoothoops »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #946 on: November 19, 2020, 05:44:13 PM »
2 of my closest business friends/associates are Singapore residents. It is 100% motivated by punishment. In terms of community and selflessness, Singapore doesn’t standout compared to other Asian nations. Excessive government control and risk of punishment is ingrained in anyone there. My buddy went to university in London and his friends made fun of him cause for years he wouldn’t cross a street without a signal and clear “permission”, even if deserted of cars.

Much like kids at a old school strict Catholic grade school being diligent and well behaved. It’s not cause they are just naturally sweet and polite children, they are conditioned by strict and borderline oppressive overlords

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #947 on: November 19, 2020, 07:30:55 PM »
As opposed to Durian, try the carrot cake (Chai tow kway).  It is neither carrot, nor cake, but it's *actually* a delicious meal!

Tastes like chicken, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #948 on: November 19, 2020, 07:49:27 PM »

It is my opinion (and previously was yours) that many people are wearing masks and social distancing primarily for reasons other than punishment fear. However, for those that don't, punishments can and do exist there.

Is is symbolic, or are the punishments real?  I can't keep up with your story.  I'll close with my original response which originally got you on this tangent, and is 100% true.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #949 on: November 19, 2020, 08:49:56 PM »

It has been over 10 years since I have been there, but my favorite Singapore sight was a 'no trespassing' sign that had a picture of a guard aiming a rifle at a trespasser. They mean business.

I compromised and bought durian chips in the supermarket.  Potato chips made of durian instead.  Quite surprisingly good.

I ran by the museum every morning I was there.

feedback