[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180668 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Masks
« Reply #800 on: October 30, 2020, 02:06:11 PM »
Of course lockdowns work.  If everyone stayed at home 100% of the time for who knows how long, no one would get or die from COVID.  So no food, no doctor appointments, no nothing but as soon as you list one exception, its over.

Trump is an idiot but lets not fool ourselves.  No one got it right.  Biden wouldn't of got it right either.  Less deaths?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  More economic hardship?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Saving grace for golden boy Biden is that he wasn't the president when this occurred. 

Its easy to say Trump got it wrong.  Yeah he did.  So has everyone else.  It would be different if every other country had minimal cases except us right now but that doesn't look to be the case.   

Sure it does.  Everyone else did better than the US.  Literally every other country.  We have the most cases.  The most deaths.  We did a terrible job.  And the guy in charge has hurt our response from day zero.

We can play the maybe/maybe not game all day, but worst in the world isn't something I'd like associated with the US. 

I have said this from the very start of this pandemic.  Here is what the plan should have been.

1.  Close borders.
2.  Allow people a month to prepare for 3 week total lockdown.  Medical only.  Groceries are delivery only, and people should have prepared.
3.  If you're sick, you stay at your house and ride it out if you can.  If you get too sick, you get to the hospital.

and then after the 3 weeks we are DONE.  We keep borders closed, and test anyone coming into the country, and force them to quarantine for two weeks.  Longer if they're positive.

My plan would have had us out of the woods in May.  Instead, here we are in October, with a ton of dead people, and a shattered economy, and we aren't even looking at the light at the end of the tunnel.

Problem is, people don't want to do what is hard.  They have to limp our society to it's doom instead of doing a two month wartime mobilization... because 'muh freedums'.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #801 on: October 30, 2020, 02:12:39 PM »
I have noticed we aren't near 3.2 million deaths.  But you JUST IN THIS POST said you're fine with 1% of people dying.  YOU SAID YOU'RE FINE WITH IT.  YOUR WORDS. 1% of 320 million people is 3.2 million.  That's what you're fine with.  Your words, not mine.

I'm not surprised that things baffle you.  I imagine your daily existence is filled with this sentiment.  Europe is blowing up with cases now because they got lazy in August and everyone traveled for their yearly holiday.  They flattened their curve and curtailed cases, and then got lazy.  I wish we had that sort of discipline.  Instead, we have insane people like you who claim (without scientific evidence) that masks don't work.  And that lockdowns don't work (they do).  You ingest that garbage from your preferred media that swears that it is everyone else that is lying to you. 

You're hopeless, bro.  Stick to MU basketball recruiting news.  Science and politics aren't your forte.

NEVER EVER EVER said that, but you and many others seem to perpetuate this myth, that if things were done right(in your views) there would have NEVER been a single death. That's what you are implying. A total and complete impossibility. 
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #802 on: October 30, 2020, 02:21:38 PM »
And if you look at their rate of infection it’s no different, actually lower then a lot of the surrounding counties.  🤷‍♂️  I’m not arguing that masks are useless or shouldn’t be worn but if you look at infection rates locally, nationally, or even globally it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. 

This just isn't true. There is tons of date to support the statement that masks make a difference.

To be clear, the science supports using masks, with recent studies suggesting that they could save lives in different ways: research shows that they cut down the chances of both transmitting and catching the coronavirus, and some studies hint that masks might reduce the severity of infection if people do contract the disease.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #803 on: October 30, 2020, 02:27:12 PM »
This just isn't true. There is tons of date to support the statement that masks make a difference.

To be clear, the science supports using masks, with recent studies suggesting that they could save lives in different ways: research shows that they cut down the chances of both transmitting and catching the coronavirus, and some studies hint that masks might reduce the severity of infection if people do contract the disease.

Agree 100%, in theory it makes all the sense in the world.  Was just pointing out that when it comes to results and actual infection rate data that communities are seeing it doesn’t appear to make much of a difference.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #804 on: October 30, 2020, 02:32:24 PM »

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the real value in masks is more reducing the inoculum rather than truly limiting spread.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 02:36:09 PM by MUfan12 »

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #805 on: October 30, 2020, 03:12:55 PM »
SERicks, the nurse called in during an interview on WGN radio that Anna Davlantes was doing with McHenry County Board chair Jack Franks about the new restrictions- it is possible that it may get posted at some point on the WGN site.

Thanks.  I'll watch for it.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #806 on: October 30, 2020, 03:29:07 PM »
Replaying right now!!

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #807 on: October 30, 2020, 03:32:05 PM »
One of his points is that when they get slammed with new admits, they cannot spend the time needed with the patients they already have.
Replay done now.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #808 on: October 30, 2020, 03:36:03 PM »
Sure it does.  Everyone else did better than the US.  Literally every other country.  We have the most cases.  The most deaths.  We did a terrible job.  And the guy in charge has hurt our response from day zero.

We can play the maybe/maybe not game all day, but worst in the world isn't something I'd like associated with the US. 

I have said this from the very start of this pandemic.  Here is what the plan should have been.

1.  Close borders.
2.  Allow people a month to prepare for 3 week total lockdown.  Medical only.  Groceries are delivery only, and people should have prepared.
3.  If you're sick, you stay at your house and ride it out if you can.  If you get too sick, you get to the hospital.

and then after the 3 weeks we are DONE.  We keep borders closed, and test anyone coming into the country, and force them to quarantine for two weeks.  Longer if they're positive.

My plan would have had us out of the woods in May.  Instead, here we are in October, with a ton of dead people, and a shattered economy, and we aren't even looking at the light at the end of the tunnel.

Problem is, people don't want to do what is hard.  They have to limp our society to it's doom instead of doing a two month wartime mobilization... because 'muh freedums'.

Right.  I have said it since the Spring.  Discipline on the front end would get us out of this earlier.  But we chose not to take the tough, short route.  We had to "LIBERATE" and all that did was make the short-term easier but make the road much longer and deadlier.

Look at what Germany is doing.  They are paying bars, restaurants, and other businesses where people congregate without masks to close for the next month, while keeping schools and shops open.  And when things get better, they will reopen.  This is an incredibly reasonable approach.

Our approach OTOH, is believing we are "turning the corner" and hoping and praying for an effective vaccine.  It's not a plan.

This is why other countries pity us.  This is why our "America First!" language is met with eyerolls around the world.  We'd be a laughingstock if it weren't so tragic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #809 on: October 30, 2020, 03:56:53 PM »
I'm becoming more and more convinced that the real value in masks is more reducing the inoculum rather than truly limiting spread.

It doesn't have to be an either/or. Reducing the inoculum might very well lead to reduced spread, because if you breathe in a tiny amount of virus, you might clear it so quickly you'd never be contagious or test positive.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #810 on: October 30, 2020, 04:07:47 PM »

NEVER EVER EVER said that, but you and many others seem to perpetuate this myth, that if things were done right(in your views) there would have NEVER been a single death. That's what you are implying. A total and complete impossibility.

You're too stupid to argue with.  You said 99% of people survive.  Which means 1% don't.  And you also said it baffles you that people care about case numbers.  Well 1% of those people are going to die.  And you're fine with that.  God forbid you or someone you love is part of that 1%.

What is your solution?  Herd immunity?  Keep up the shlt show we have until we have a vaccine that 1/3 of the population won't take? 

You've already said masks and lockdowns don't work (you're wrong) so what do you propose?  You've got no plan.  Your leader has no plan.

#trump2020voter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #811 on: October 30, 2020, 04:15:49 PM »
It doesn't have to be an either/or. Reducing the inoculum might very well lead to reduced spread, because if you breathe in a tiny amount of virus, you might clear it so quickly you'd never be contagious or test positive.

Good point.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #812 on: October 30, 2020, 04:51:22 PM »

Right.  I have said it since the Spring.  Discipline on the front end would get us out of this earlier.  But we chose not to take the tough, short route.  We had to "LIBERATE" and all that did was make the short-term easier but make the road much longer and deadlier.

Look at what Germany is doing.  They are paying bars, restaurants, and other businesses where people congregate without masks to close for the next month, while keeping schools and shops open.  And when things get better, they will reopen.  This is an incredibly reasonable approach.

Our approach OTOH, is believing we are "turning the corner" and hoping and praying for an effective vaccine.  It's not a plan.

This is why other countries pity us.  This is why our "America First!" language is met with eyerolls around the world.  We'd be a laughingstock if it weren't so tragic.

Can you imagine the reaction if a politician even proposed the idea of nationalizing wages?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #813 on: October 30, 2020, 05:11:16 PM »
Can you imagine the reaction if a politician even proposed the idea of nationalizing wages?

It’s just the PPP expanded.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #814 on: October 30, 2020, 05:56:19 PM »
Sure it does.  Everyone else did better than the US.  Literally every other country.  We have the most cases.  The most deaths. 

USA actually ranks 13th in total cases when calculating ratio of infected per million and 10 in deaths (with plenty of other countries very close) and let's not get started with the whole who's reporting what.

So there's at least 9 countries worse.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #815 on: October 30, 2020, 06:22:23 PM »
USA actually ranks 13th in total cases when calculating ratio of infected per million and 10 in deaths (with plenty of other countries very close) and let's not get started with the whole who's reporting what.

So there's at least 9 countries worse.

Yeah, but among them are San Marino and Andorra.
Anyhow, we're pretty much in the bottom 10 percent. Given our resources, that's pitiful.

Of course, things probably would be much better if we weren't playing doctors more for every dead COVID patient.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #816 on: October 30, 2020, 06:47:22 PM »
You're too stupid to argue with.  You said 99% of people survive.  Which means 1% don't.  And you also said it baffles you that people care about case numbers.  Well 1% of those people are going to die.  And you're fine with that.  God forbid you or someone you love is part of that 1%.

What is your solution?  Herd immunity?  Keep up the shlt show we have until we have a vaccine that 1/3 of the population won't take? 

You've already said masks and lockdowns don't work (you're wrong) so what do you propose?  You've got no plan.  Your leader has no plan.

#trump2020voter

Locking down the country will NOT work. Look what Sweden did...no lock downs, no mask mandates and wah lah...they became the envy of other countries. Yes, they started out with a very high death rate, but it dissipated by doing nothing different. Just because you couldn't care less for those people/businesses that would lose their jobs/livelihoods with your mandated strict 3 month lock down, doesn't mean others don't. Not to mention the higher suicide rates(that's been proven), the drinking and drug abuse increases, the emotional trauma that comes from lock downs. These are ALL VERY real and proven things. Besides I can 100% guarantee you EVEN after your mandated 3 month strict lock down and mask wearing, that people would still get it. It's not a magic bullet.

My dad had covid about 3 weeks ago...had slight fever some sniffles for a couple days and it was done. Yes, he's one example, but still just sayin'. Life is a risk, everything we do daily is a risk, right??

I mean just because you wear a mask in your car alone and likely when you go to bed, doesn't mean everyone should have to do exactly like you do, or that it's the best way.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #817 on: October 30, 2020, 07:01:45 PM »
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-herd-immunity-sweden-covid-cases-anders-tegnell-b1421541.html

Sweden’s version of Dr. Fauci blasts the idea of herd immunity without a vaccine. Also, their cases are rising, and on their TripAdvisor board, a local reported that some museums are closed, and guidelines have been issued telling people not to socialize outside their households, to limit trips from home, to not go to indoor places like restaurants, shops and museums, keep social distance....guidelines instead of rules because the Swedes will abide by them voluntarily ( the poster’s words, not mine). Unlike here.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #818 on: October 30, 2020, 07:04:06 PM »
Look what Sweden did...no lock downs, no mask mandates and wah lah...they became the envy of other countries. Yes, they started out with a very high death rate, but it dissipated by doing nothing different.

Sweden's done with it?  Certainly looks like their cases have spiked and deaths will follow in about 3 weeks unfortunately.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

I don't think many countries envied Sweden's approach.  Even Sweden admitted their initial strategy was wrong, and started recommending people take more precautions.

Glad to hear your father recovered without incident.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #819 on: October 30, 2020, 07:11:56 PM »
Sweden's done with it?  Certainly looks like their cases have spiked and deaths will follow in about 3 weeks unfortunately.

I don't think many countries envied Sweden's approach.  Even Sweden admitted their initial strategy was wrong, and started recommending people take more precautions.

Glad to hear your father recovered without incident.

Yep. And the data showed that their economy did not fare any better than the other countries in Scandinavia.

Bad experiment.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #820 on: October 30, 2020, 07:14:16 PM »

This.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-herd-immunity-sweden-covid-cases-anders-tegnell-b1421541.html

Sweden’s version of Dr. Fauci blasts the idea of herd immunity without a vaccine. Also, their cases are rising, and on their TripAdvisor board, a local reported that some museums are closed, and guidelines have been issued telling people not to socialize outside their households, to limit trips from home, to not go to indoor places like restaurants, shops and museums, keep social distance....guidelines instead of rules because the Swedes will abide by them voluntarily ( the poster’s words, not mine). Unlike here.
And this.

Beyond that ... even after saying, "Let our people die; we're going to save our economy," Sweden's economy STILL tanked.

It turns out that most sensible folks change their behavior when there is a deadly, highly contagious virus out there. Even if a city or state or country says, "Go wild," so many people opt not to go wild that the economy can't help but be adversely affected.

Control the virus, save the economy. There are no shortcuts. Sorry, not even the miraculous hydroxycloroquine that Trump and guru's girlfriend, Dr. Demon Seed, was pushing.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #821 on: October 30, 2020, 07:29:57 PM »
Locking down the country will NOT work. Look what Sweden did...no lock downs, no mask mandates and wah lah...they became the envy of other countries. Yes, they started out with a very high death rate, but it dissipated by doing nothing different. Just because you couldn't care less for those people/businesses that would lose their jobs/livelihoods with your mandated strict 3 month lock down, doesn't mean others don't. Not to mention the higher suicide rates(that's been proven), the drinking and drug abuse increases, the emotional trauma that comes from lock downs. These are ALL VERY real and proven things. Besides I can 100% guarantee you EVEN after your mandated 3 month strict lock down and mask wearing, that people would still get it. It's not a magic bullet.

My dad had covid about 3 weeks ago...had slight fever some sniffles for a couple days and it was done. Yes, he's one example, but still just sayin'. Life is a risk, everything we do daily is a risk, right??

I mean just because you wear a mask in your car alone and likely when you go to bed, doesn't mean everyone should have to do exactly like you do, or that it's the best way.

First things first, Sweden has been beaten to death here.  You're out of your element.  You can look at the numbers yourself, but you'd rather listen to what a couple of freaks on the internet say.  And they're liars.  They're bait for objectively stupid people (you).  Second, I said 3 WEEKS.  Reading is fundamental.  Third, we've been at this for 7 months at this point, and you still can't come up with a plan.  My plan had this basically over in May.

As for the bolded part, they don't have to, but yes, it is the best way.  If people acted like me, maybe we could have had a summer.  And no I don't wear a mask in my car, home, or to bed.  I went to school for science.  Two things you didn't.  So kindly, screw off with your idiotic opinions.  You add nothing to the conversation, and you're arguing with people who are actually qualified, and far far more intelligent than you can dream of.  The problem here, is you thinking you're winning this argument instead of making a total fool of yourself.

You're the dumbest person I don't know.  May God have mercy on your black soul for wishing death on 3.2 million of your fellow Americans.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 07:36:17 PM by Hards_Alumni »

tower912

• All American
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 10:20:20 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #823 on: October 31, 2020, 10:23:25 AM »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #824 on: October 31, 2020, 11:14:56 AM »
Suburban Atlanta.

Kelly Loeffler said everyone was wearing a mask at her 50 person steakhouse gathering. Let's check the video:

https://twitter.com/alizaslav/status/1322569246958866438?s=19

feedback