[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180673 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Masks
« Reply #775 on: October 29, 2020, 10:51:38 PM »
Russ Feingold didn't ignore it- how'd that work out?

He was running for a Senate seat in Wisconsin so he focused on the only state that mattered...and on the only state his opponent focused on.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #776 on: October 29, 2020, 10:58:08 PM »

He was running for a Senate seat in Wisconsin so he focused on the only state that mattered...and on the only state his opponent focused on.

So what?

In any event:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2016/11/11/why-hillary-clinton-lost-pennsylvania-the-real-story/

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #777 on: October 29, 2020, 11:02:22 PM »
So what?

In any event:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2016/11/11/why-hillary-clinton-lost-pennsylvania-the-real-story/

I don’t know anything about the race in Pennsylvania. I was only talking about Wisconsin.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #778 on: October 30, 2020, 12:19:17 AM »
A Michigan church that did not require masks has been linked to 58 cases, health officials say. Many were exposed to the virus at a youth service on Oct. 11, according to the local health department. Others might have been exposed at events the week before and after. Five people were hospitalized and four remain in inpatient care, the health department said. “The number of cases and hospitalizations may rise in the coming days due to further spread of COVID-19 and discovery of additional cases,” the health department said.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article246808282.html?ac_cid=DM312405&ac_bid=-1599210424

Or, as the president says, it affects virtually nobody.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #779 on: October 30, 2020, 07:52:22 AM »
A Michigan church that did not require masks has been linked to 58 cases, health officials say. Many were exposed to the virus at a youth service on Oct. 11, according to the local health department. Others might have been exposed at events the week before and after. Five people were hospitalized and four remain in inpatient care, the health department said. “The number of cases and hospitalizations may rise in the coming days due to further spread of COVID-19 and discovery of additional cases,” the health department said.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article246808282.html?ac_cid=DM312405&ac_bid=-1599210424

Or, as the president says, it affects virtually nobody.

a 99.9% survival rate if you are under 70, and if you are over 70, it's still almost 95%. Now, do me a favor and go to the CDC website and tell me what the data says for people that have died of ONLY the virus. I don't want to hear any other garbage about "well but"...just tell me how many people have died from ONLY the virus and report back to me. By the way...winter is coming Mike.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #780 on: October 30, 2020, 08:07:46 AM »
a 99.9% survival rate if you are under 70, and if you are over 70, it's still almost 95%. Now, do me a favor and go to the CDC website and tell me what the data says for people that have died of ONLY the virus. I don't want to hear any other garbage about "well but"...just tell me how many people have died from ONLY the virus and report back to me. By the way...winter is coming Mike.

People don't typically die from one thing, ever.  Even deaths counted as the flu in a typical season aren't JUST the flu.  This year there are 300,000 more deaths in the US this year than there would be in a typical year.

Statistically speaking, nearly all of those deaths are Covid related.  And this is after we have done quite a bit to reduce spread.  1% of people die if we do everything the way we have and mitigate the spread and have available hospital space.  1% of the US population is 3.2 million people.  You're cool with 3.2 million?  I'm not.  That's half the god damned holocaust.  WITH US DOING EVERYTHING WE CAN DO TO STOP THIS (or rather some of us are willing to do).  If you want society to just pretend it's the flu, then we can't possibly treat everyone who shows up to the hospital.  Many, many more people will die without health care.   Not to mention the doctors and nurses we lose in the process.  How do you propose we deal with this problem?  Hire more docs and nurses?  Find more beds?  What fantasy world do you live in?

I'm sorry you don't understand these things.  I'm sorry you don't wish to learn about them.  I'm sorry your donkey brain is broken and refuses to critically think.

We can't help you, if you're not willing to help yourself.  Go play in the street with the other mouth breathers.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #781 on: October 30, 2020, 08:25:18 AM »

How many people die from ONLY HIV/AIDS?

How many people die from ONLY high cholesterol?

How many people die from ONLY high blood pressure?

How many people die from ONLY diabetes?

The answer is not very many. So why do we work so hard in medicine to treat/control these problems?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:26:53 AM by jesmu84 »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #782 on: October 30, 2020, 08:28:07 AM »

I don't believe you understand how death works.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #783 on: October 30, 2020, 09:18:34 AM »
In 2016, Trump failed to get 50% in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan.   The Greens and the libertarians peeled off a large number of votes.    Now that Trump has a record, this election really comes down to Trump and his record.   The Greens and Libertarians aren't going to get 5 % of the vote nationally.   So, this election is about unifying the 54% of Americans who voted 'not Trump' in 2016.

And in addition to the record number of people who didn't vote at all in 2016, but are in 2020.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #784 on: October 30, 2020, 09:31:00 AM »
And in addition to the record number of people who didn't vote at all in 2016, but are in 2020.

100 million eligible voters didn't vote in 2016.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #785 on: October 30, 2020, 10:01:01 AM »
100 million eligible voters didn't vote in 2016.

20 million illegal immigrants did, though
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #786 on: October 30, 2020, 10:17:24 AM »

So you're going to come back here after three-plus months, with hospitals nearing capacity in Wisconsin, STILL posting this garbage???
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #787 on: October 30, 2020, 10:18:02 AM »

Well many of those will vote for Trump.  That's how he won in 2016.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #788 on: October 30, 2020, 10:24:33 AM »

So you're going to come back here after three-plus months, with hospitals nearing capacity in Wisconsin, STILL posting this garbage???

Wisconsin isn't going to continue breaking records without people like him!

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #789 on: October 30, 2020, 11:15:42 AM »
An intensive care nurse from Wisconsin called into WGN yesterday. His account was sobering and chilling, talking about the amount of people that have been admitted to the his ICU in recent days. It was staggering.
He also mentioned that he had recently treated a denier, who at the beginning was sure they wanted to give him drugs as an experiment, until they had to treat him with so much stuff that he realized this wasn’t fake, and literally asked if he was going to die.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #790 on: October 30, 2020, 11:34:52 AM »
An intensive care nurse from Wisconsin called into WGN yesterday. His account was sobering and chilling, talking about the amount of people that have been admitted to the his ICU in recent days. It was staggering.
He also mentioned that he had recently treated a denier, who at the beginning was sure they wanted to give him drugs as an experiment, until they had to treat him with so much stuff that he realized this wasn’t fake, and literally asked if he was going to die.

Any idea if that interview is available anywhere?  I would love to listen to it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #791 on: October 30, 2020, 11:43:43 AM »
People don't typically die from one thing, ever.  Even deaths counted as the flu in a typical season aren't JUST the flu.  This year there are 300,000 more deaths in the US this year than there would be in a typical year.

Statistically speaking, nearly all of those deaths are Covid related.  And this is after we have done quite a bit to reduce spread.  1% of people die if we do everything the way we have and mitigate the spread and have available hospital space.  1% of the US population is 3.2 million people.  You're cool with 3.2 million?  I'm not.  That's half the god damned holocaust.  WITH US DOING EVERYTHING WE CAN DO TO STOP THIS (or rather some of us are willing to do).  If you want society to just pretend it's the flu, then we can't possibly treat everyone who shows up to the hospital.  Many, many more people will die without health care.   Not to mention the doctors and nurses we lose in the process.  How do you propose we deal with this problem?  Hire more docs and nurses?  Find more beds?  What fantasy world do you live in?

I'm sorry you don't understand these things.  I'm sorry you don't wish to learn about them.  I'm sorry your donkey brain is broken and refuses to critically think.

We can't help you, if you're not willing to help yourself.  Go play in the street with the other mouth breathers.

In case you haven't noticed, we are nowhere near 3.2 million deaths right now from covid. Dr. Birx early on said herself that if we did EVERYTHING perfectly, we could still expect a minumum of 200,000 deaths. That's fact. She said that. What I don't like is all of you people sit here and run your mouths but don't offer a single solution of how to improve it. This isn't just a US problem, it's a world problem. Cases are spiking all over the world and this is in some countries that have had STRICT mask mandates for several months now. Lock downs are NOT the answer, there's enough medical experts on record now that have stated as such. Masks are NOT the answer(or cases wouldn't be spiking the way they are). It's tragic, one death is too many(something our President has said MANY times) but the fact is, this was always going to be a problem one way or another until a vaccine came along to at least help with that. That's coming soon.

But when some people focus entirely on # of CASES(and yes, many many many people do that) it baffles me, when you consider the fact it has a 99% survival rate.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #792 on: October 30, 2020, 11:55:45 AM »
In case you haven't noticed, we are nowhere near 3.2 million deaths right now from covid. Dr. Birx early on said herself that if we did EVERYTHING perfectly, we could still expect a minumum of 200,000 deaths. That's fact. She said that. What I don't like is all of you people sit here and run your mouths but don't offer a single solution of how to improve it. This isn't just a US problem, it's a world problem. Cases are spiking all over the world and this is in some countries that have had STRICT mask mandates for several months now. Lock downs are NOT the answer, there's enough medical experts on record now that have stated as such. Masks are NOT the answer(or cases wouldn't be spiking the way they are). It's tragic, one death is too many(something our President has said MANY times) but the fact is, this was always going to be a problem one way or another until a vaccine came along to at least help with that. That's coming soon.

But when some people focus entirely on # of CASES(and yes, many many many people do that) it baffles me, when you consider the fact it has a 99% survival rate.
Dr. Birx early on said herself that if we did EVERYTHING perfectly, we could still expect a minumum of 200,000 deaths. Well we've burned through that level with no end in site so I guess even you might have to admit that we didn't do everything perfectly aina?

In your experience does everyone wear a mask? I'm invited to a wedding reception @ The Golden Mast in 5 weeks. When we called the Golden Mast to find what measures they are taking I was asked if I was familiar with the Lake country because per them on a good day only 25% are masked out there.

• All American
« Reply #793 on: October 30, 2020, 11:58:44 AM »

People focus on cases because it leads to deaths.

Even if you use your 99% figure, that means that 1 in 100 of the people diagnosed will die.  Over the last week, nearly 30,000 new cases were diagnosed in Wisconsin.  Even with a 99% survival rate, 300 of those people will die.  300 a week would dwarf how many people die historically on average each week from other causes - 50% more than all cancers combined.  (Now my guess is that death rates will continue to decrease because of our ability to treat it...but still.)

So that's why people focus on number of cases.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #794 on: October 30, 2020, 12:48:35 PM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #795 on: October 30, 2020, 12:52:33 PM »

I have noticed we aren't near 3.2 million deaths.  But you JUST IN THIS POST said you're fine with 1% of people dying.  YOU SAID YOU'RE FINE WITH IT.  YOUR WORDS. 1% of 320 million people is 3.2 million.  That's what you're fine with.  Your words, not mine.

I'm not surprised that things baffle you.  I imagine your daily existence is filled with this sentiment.  Europe is blowing up with cases now because they got lazy in August and everyone traveled for their yearly holiday.  They flattened their curve and curtailed cases, and then got lazy.  I wish we had that sort of discipline.  Instead, we have insane people like you who claim (without scientific evidence) that masks don't work.  And that lockdowns don't work (they do).  You ingest that garbage from your preferred media that swears that it is everyone else that is lying to you. 

You're hopeless, bro.  Stick to MU basketball recruiting news.  Science and politics aren't your forte.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #796 on: October 30, 2020, 12:57:54 PM »
Dr. Birx early on said herself that if we did EVERYTHING perfectly, we could still expect a minumum of 200,000 deaths. Well we've burned through that level with no end in site so I guess even you might have to admit that we didn't do everything perfectly aina?

In your experience does everyone wear a mask? I'm invited to a wedding reception @ The Golden Mast in 5 weeks. When we called the Golden Mast to find what measures they are taking I was asked if I was familiar with the Lake country because per them on a good day only 25% are masked out there.

And if you look at their rate of infection it’s no different, actually lower then a lot of the surrounding counties.  🤷‍♂️  I’m not arguing that masks are useless or shouldn’t be worn but if you look at infection rates locally, nationally, or even globally it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. 

It’s common sense that they don’t hurt anything So why not wear one but the obsession around it is a little confusing to me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #797 on: October 30, 2020, 01:16:36 PM »

You're right, guru. Your emperor has handled the pandemic absolutely perfectly. Every single step of the way, every decision, pure genius.

The 60%+ of Americans who feel otherwise are losers, as are all the dead and sick people.

I mean, all it took to get your emperor healthy last month was the around-the-clock attention of two dozen top medical personnel at one of the best hospitals in the country, and all of the best medication, including experimental drugs. In other words, just the kind of care available to any of the folks who get sick attending his super-spreader rallies.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #798 on: October 30, 2020, 01:22:17 PM »
SERicks, the nurse called in during an interview on WGN radio that Anna Davlantes was doing with McHenry County Board chair Jack Franks about the new restrictions- it is possible that it may get posted at some point on the WGN site.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #799 on: October 30, 2020, 01:42:52 PM »
IAnd that lockdowns don't work (they do).

Of course lockdowns work.  If everyone stayed at home 100% of the time for who knows how long, no one would get or die from COVID.  So no food, no doctor appointments, no nothing but as soon as you list one exception, its over.

Trump is an idiot but lets not fool ourselves.  No one got it right.  Biden wouldn't of got it right either.  Less deaths?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  More economic hardship?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Saving grace for golden boy Biden is that he wasn't the president when this occurred. 

Its easy to say Trump got it wrong.  Yeah he did.  So has everyone else.  It would be different if every other country had minimal cases except us right now but that doesn't look to be the case.