[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Akanno shows out in scrimmage against NBA players  (Read 20967 times)

Marcus92

• All American
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

94Warrior

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Akanno shows out in scrimmage against NBA players
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2020, 09:11:56 PM »
Is Dex > Mane? 

If you had to pick one, who would you choose?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2020, 09:21:40 PM »
Is Dex > Mane? 

If you had to pick one, who would you choose?
LOL!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2020, 06:41:05 AM »
Love the optimism.   Question the judgment.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2020, 07:56:44 PM »
More video of Dexter - looks like a grown man.

https://twitter.com/mubbnation/status/1276677825601441792?s=20

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2020, 08:11:36 PM »
Please be the real deal, please be the real deal, please be the real deal, please be the real deal...
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2020, 08:56:43 PM »
https://instagram.com/theguardwhisperer?igshid=xi84ezlqapgn

Looks like he’s working out with this guy. His first post is a video of Dexter. His story has a number of videos with Dexter working out. He certainly looks good in workouts. Shot form looks a lot like Sacar’s. Not sure he’ll ever be a lights out shooter but it looks like the shot should be enough to have to respect.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2020, 01:03:23 AM »
https://twitter.com/SDinwiddie_25/status/1276493897116422146

Spencer Dinwiddie
@SDinwiddie_25
Replying to
@osimplis
 and
@PaintTouches
Definitely got a chance, I was impressed

This was in response to a video of Dexter and caption that said he had a chance to be an elite college guard.

I've fallen for hype and been let down before. But I don't think it's often that we have 20 point per game scorers in the NBA complimenting a guy who was a coaching decision redshirt.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2020, 07:22:24 AM »
I had no idea Dexter was that strong. He is built. Did that happen last year. I thought he was a lot skinnier than that.  I want on this bandwagon. However, if he really is the stud he looks like in this video why redshirt him? 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2020, 09:09:46 AM »
Please be the real deal, please be the real deal, please be the real deal, please be the real deal...

I'd much rather we start seeing these videos after a couple "where did that come from" performances after the season starts. Last year it was McEwen who was supposed to shock the league, Bailey the year before, Froling before that, and in the years before players like Traci Carter, Jajuan Johnson, Juan Anderson, and others that were expected to come in and immediately have a huge impact but it never materialized that first year (if ever). For every Dwyane Wade, there's a dozen Dan Fitzgeralds.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2020, 09:21:33 AM »
I had no idea Dexter was that strong. He is built. Did that happen last year. I thought he was a lot skinnier than that.  I want on this bandwagon. However, if he really is the stud he looks like in this video why redshirt him?

He came in a big, physical kid.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2020, 09:28:29 AM »

The first time I saw him play, my first comment was he has a Big East body, not skinny at all.  Will fit in.  Taking a year off to improve and get stronger shows in those
videos.  MU will be better in the backcourt next year just because they will have true competition,  Carton and Koby might be the starters, but would not surprised
to see a 3 guard attack at times,  as all 3 guards have size.   Torrence will be improved as well, add Elliott if healthy and you have 5 good guards.  It should be interesting.  They will be better defensively as good as Howard was, he was not a good defensive player just because of his size.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2020, 09:38:42 AM »
I'd much rather we start seeing these videos after a couple "where did that come from" performances after the season starts. Last year it was McEwen who was supposed to shock the league, Bailey the year before, Froling before that, and in the years before players like Traci Carter, Jajuan Johnson, Juan Anderson, and others that were expected to come in and immediately have a huge impact but it never materialized that first year (if ever). For every Dwyane Wade, there's a dozen Dan Fitzgeralds.

I don't remember anyone expecting Traci to have an immediate huge impact. IIRC people were more excited that it potentially signaled that MU coaches could recruit Philly again after the Newbill situation.  Not sure how true that ended up being as Traci transferred, we haven't gotten a Philly kid since, and I can't even remember being mentioned with one.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2020, 10:03:17 AM »
I don't remember anyone expecting Traci to have an immediate huge impact. IIRC people were more excited that it potentially signaled that MU coaches could recruit Philly again after the Newbill situation.  Not sure how true that ended up being as Traci transferred, we haven't gotten a Philly kid since, and I can't even remember being mentioned with one.
The hype Was when he played during the European trip
Goal is National Championship

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2020, 11:08:07 AM »

Yup. Hype for The Engine was real. He looked like a high ceiling point guard that would make an immediate difference. Part of me is still surprised he never broke through, especially in smaller leagues.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2020, 11:31:54 AM »

Eh, he might have looked good, but it was pretty well noted that those games were against second tier Italian league teams.  Expectations should have been tempered by level of competition alone.  Not saying that I'm buying that Dex is the real deal yet, but you get a better picture seeing him compete against NBAers rather than Serie A2 Basket players.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2020, 11:48:41 AM »
The good news is that now have an abundance of long and strong athletic  guards .  Big East games generally get decided in the last few minutes of the game. So the depth at guard position gives MU the ability to be at high energy all 40 minutes.  May end up winning a few games through sheer out -hustling the other team.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2020, 02:37:44 PM »
D2N confirmed
No Finish Line

withoutbias

• All American

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2020, 03:46:15 PM »
Eh, he might have looked good, but it was pretty well noted that those games were against second tier Italian league teams.  Expectations should have been tempered by level of competition alone.  Not saying that I'm buying that Dex is the real deal yet, but you get a better picture seeing him compete against NBAers rather than Serie A2 Basket players.

Expectations should've been tempered for all of those guys. These are still non-competitive scrimmages. I'm hoping it proves to be more than that, but whether it's Juan's mixtape, how Traci fit in against Euro competition (and it was also how well he found Ellenson/Fischer/etc), or Froling being a ready-for-the-pros steal, the hype more often than not falls short. I really hope Dex counters that trend, but I'm not getting hopes up for it until we see it against quality non-con opponents.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2020, 06:40:36 PM »
Expectations should've been tempered for all of those guys. These are still non-competitive scrimmages. I'm hoping it proves to be more than that, but whether it's Juan's mixtape, how Traci fit in against Euro competition (and it was also how well he found Ellenson/Fischer/etc), or Froling being a ready-for-the-pros steal, the hype more often than not falls short. I really hope Dex counters that trend, but I'm not getting hopes up for it until we see it against quality non-con opponents.

We as fans certainly should do our part to try to temper expectations (just a few months ago there were posts about how Osa and Lewis would be getting more minutes than BB or Jamal), but a certain level of expectations were placed by the staff.  Watch Wojo's post game interview in our last game without Harry where we beat the isht out of bucky, he was certainly expecting Harry to be a big time contributor.  Look at Stan's comments about (I believe) Lewis.  Saying something along the lines of he is the most polished offensive prospect he's seen since Markus.   Those are some monster shoes to fill.  When fans see and hear stuff like that from the staff, expectations will be (possibly unfairly) set high.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2020, 07:04:28 PM »
  Watch Wojo's post game interview in our last game without Harry where we beat the isht out of bucky, he was certainly expecting Harry to be a big time contributor.

+1. My excitement about Harry F had nothing to do with “scouts” from Scoop. Wojo and Jay Bilas (whose source was Wojo) were responsible for what turned out to be irrational exuberance on my part.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2020, 08:04:22 PM »
We as fans certainly should do our part to try to temper expectations (just a few months ago there were posts about how Osa and Lewis would be getting more minutes than BB or Jamal), but a certain level of expectations were placed by the staff.  Watch Wojo's post game interview in our last game without Harry where we beat the isht out of bucky, he was certainly expecting Harry to be a big time contributor.  Look at Stan's comments about (I believe) Lewis.  Saying something along the lines of he is the most polished offensive prospect he's seen since Markus.   Those are some monster shoes to fill.  When fans see and hear stuff like that from the staff, expectations will be (possibly unfairly) set high.

Agree completely with both you and Lenny. Froling sounded like 2-year Ellenson, Bailey hype was definitely leaked by staff, and the Lewis comments also seemed a bit much for a freshman who hasn't hit campus yet.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2020, 08:51:44 PM »
I am in the camp that says the lets keep the expectations low on freshman and red shirt freshman. We are lucky we have so many high quality prospects but they are all going to need time to develop and understand what it takes to compete at the Big East level.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2020, 01:50:50 PM »
The good news is that now have an abundance of long and strong athletic  guards .  Big East games generally get decided in the last few minutes of the game. So the depth at guard position gives MU the ability to be at high energy all 40 minutes.  May end up winning a few games through sheer out -hustling the other team.

Or, in the case of St. Johns, just keeping up.

That Dexter's a bad...
Shut your mouth!
But, I'm talkin' about Dexter.
Then we can dig it.

He's a complicated cat
No one can coach him like Stockton
John Stockton!
do do, do do, do do DO
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 02:02:29 PM by 4everDawson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.