'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Akanno shows out in scrimmage against NBA players  (Read 20811 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
It's not often we see current MU players take on current NBA players, so don't mind me, just climbing on the Dex hype train after seeing him take Donovan Mitchell off the dribble.

https://painttouches.com/2020/06/19/dexter-akanno-shows-out-in-scrimmage-against-nba-players/

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Akanno shows out in scrimmage against NBA players
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 02:41:03 PM »
This is a most welcome video heading into the weekend.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 02:48:24 PM »
Are we sure that is Dexter? Because if we are...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 02:52:37 PM »
Are we sure that is Dexter? Because if we are...

That was the first thing I asked, haha. And then I checked which one was Spida. And then I watched it all morning.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 02:54:51 PM »
That was the first thing I asked, haha. And then I checked which one was Spida. And then I watched it all morning.

Honestly that’s amazing. Obviously his ability to score is very nice, but why I like most is his pace and comfort with the ball in his hands. That was my only problem with Markus was he seemed to let defenses dictate what he did rather than manipulating what a defense did to him, if that makes sense.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 02:55:36 PM »
If the young man in the light blue shirt is really Akanno.....     yes, please......      I am suddenly picturing 3 guard offenses again.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 02:58:39 PM »
He's got those Deonte Burton shoulders.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 03:44:00 PM »
I believe this is at Kobe's former Mamba Academy.  Or the sister location in South Bay.  Never would have pegged Dester Akanno as the MU player to be hopping with NBA talent in LA.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 03:52:38 PM »
I believe this is at Kobe's former Mamba Academy.  Or the sister location in South Bay.  Never would have pegged Dester Akanno as the MU player to be hopping with NBA talent in LA.

Recall that he worked with Steve Nash prior to heading to MU.  Either he knows all the right people, or there's something that a lot of folks see in him. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 04:08:22 PM »
Stan always  said the MU faithful would love Dexter......😎
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 04:13:47 PM »
Recall that he worked with Steve Nash prior to heading to MU.  Either he knows all the right people, or there's something that a lot of folks see in him.
[/quote

Yeah I think Buzz seen something in him too.  But Wojo got him. 

If I remember, (not sure) the Steve Nash thing was a one day thing.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 04:18:15 PM »
Someone like Dexter surprising majorly to the upside is the difference between tourney and no tourney (IMHO, of course).

Not gonna put unrealistic expectations on him, but that was promising.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 05:32:57 PM »
This is how I felt about Juan Anderson's mixed tape.

But, I get it, that wasn't against NBA players. So, whoooo-hoooo. All BIG EAST BABY

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 05:53:45 PM »
He had his quirks, but the idea of having a pg in every class is a solid Buzz-ism.  Different players develop at different rates.  You never really know when a guy ranked as low as Dex was will be "ready", but it would be a most welcome addition if it's as early as next year.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 06:01:42 PM »
Forgot the best Dexter clip from that game. Check out the cross and drive to the lane and the audacity to try and throw that down. I had no idea he could even dunk to be honest. He looks like an absolute monster even against NBA players:

https://twitter.com/overtime/status/1273782676122750978?s=20

That's Rayjon Tucker defending him by the way...

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 06:59:30 PM »
Forgot the best Dexter clip from that game. Check out the cross and drive to the lane and the audacity to try and throw that down. I had no idea he could even dunk to be honest. He looks like an absolute monster even against NBA players:

Perfect example of why one should finish with the left hand on the left side.  Unfortunate he doesnt finish with left hand
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 09:47:08 PM »
It's not often we see current MU players take on current NBA players, so don't mind me, just climbing on the Dex hype train after seeing him take Donovan Mitchell off the dribble.

https://painttouches.com/2020/06/19/dexter-akanno-shows-out-in-scrimmage-against-nba-players/

Encouraging. I was especially impressed with the confidence with which he took his shots. No hesitation. Acted like he knew they were going in. Also liked the pace, as a couple other Scoopers said.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 10:59:12 PM »

You missed this gem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4SAlTs-hjw
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2020, 10:56:26 AM »
Every once in a while a player who doesn’t get much summer exposure is underrated by the rankings services. I think that was the case with Dexter. It was fortunate MU signed just as word About him  was getting out. Also was helpful MU had the depth to be able to let Dexter red shirt .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2020, 05:14:40 PM »
Love seeing this stuff, but still going to temper my expectations. It's still highlights and who knows how hard everyone is really going in these open gym situations. Love it if he can crack the roster and provide some positive contributions.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2020, 08:57:22 PM »
I remember him in the pre season game last year. He was physically strong and aggressively drove to the hoop. He missed the layup. He looked like he had a lot of potential to me. Symir looked more advanced, but he does not have Dexter's body. Symir looked weak against a lot of Big East guards this year. Hopefully, Symir has been doing serious work in the weight room,

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2020, 04:16:12 AM »
Size and strength look impressive.  Quick first step.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2020, 07:53:47 AM »
[/quote

Yeah I think Buzz seen something in him too.  But Wojo got him. 

If I remember, (not sure) the Steve Nash thing was a one day thing.

True, his Nash thing might have been just a one day/video deal, but it still shows that he either has really good connections to the NBA, or people respect his ability and potential.  Being from So Cal certainly helps in getting the opportunities to play against top talent, and showing flashes of "belonging", even in a pick-up game, has to be a big confidence boost.  For a guy like Dexter, who appears to have all the physical tools, confidence in his game may make all the difference. 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2020, 11:47:52 AM »
Holy shiit
No Finish Line

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2020, 01:16:06 PM »
True, his Nash thing might have been just a one day/video deal, but it still shows that he either has really good connections to the NBA, or people respect his ability and potential.  Being from So Cal certainly helps in getting the opportunities to play against top talent, and showing flashes of "belonging", even in a pick-up game, has to be a big confidence boost.  For a guy like Dexter, who appears to have all the physical tools, confidence in his game may make all the difference.

Absolutely agree.  Somewhere on Youtube  there is a clip of his workout with Nash and I liked his listening intensity look during the w/o.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

feedback