[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: HBCU and Recruiting  (Read 12001 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
HBCU and Recruiting
« on: June 09, 2020, 04:11:37 PM »
Don’t want this to get lost in the recruiting thread but it’s something I think will gather steam and could shake up the recruiting world. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/mikey-williams-considering-an-hbcu-a-move-that-could-shake-up-college-basketball-150047572.html
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: HBCU and Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 04:47:30 PM »
I'd be shocked if he goes to college or is eligible. Cannot stand his cocky attitude
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 05:20:41 PM »
I hope these HBCU schools eventually land a kid like this and it starts a trend. It would be great to see the bluebloods have to tuck their tails between their legs because they lost out on a one and done to an HBCU. They would be royalty(forever) at one of these schools, and it's not like it's going to affect their draft stock in any way.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 07:00:05 PM »
I hope these HBCU schools eventually land a kid like this and it starts a trend. It would be great to see the bluebloods have to tuck their tails between their legs because they lost out on a one and done to an HBCU. They would be royalty(forever) at one of these schools, and it's not like it's going to affect their draft stock in any way.

They'll just go to the next on their list.  No biggie for them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 07:01:20 PM »
A few could go.  But, I'd be shocked if it was more than a very few.  Facilities are poor, and so are the amenities.  Long bus rides to games, anyone?  Too many will be justly concerned that their development will be held back by not playing with and against the best.

A gut check is the fact that the very best African-American players dream of getting recruited to Kentucky where they play in an arena named for an avowed racist for the state university of the very last state to ratify the 13th amendment in the 1970's.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 07:03:56 PM by 4everDawson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 10:37:25 PM »
A few could go.  But, I'd be shocked if it was more than a very few.  Facilities are poor, and so are the amenities.  Long bus rides to games, anyone?  Too many will be justly concerned that their development will be held back by not playing with and against the best.

A gut check is the fact that the very best African-American players dream of getting recruited to Kentucky where they play in an arena named for an avowed racist for the state university of the very last state to ratify the 13th amendment in the 1970's.

Fun story, my English 2 professor at MU went to Kentucky and wouldn't shut up about how much bigger basketball was there and how we wouldn't understand then she said something where I put my hand up and said "yeah I'd say that to if our famous coach was as old rupp" she got so offended she shut down class and had to speak with me after. Think I skipped the next four classes. But seriously how can alumni both love him then hate him in the same sentence?
Maigh Eo for Sam

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 11:48:36 AM »
Don’t want this to get lost in the recruiting thread but it’s something I think will gather steam and could shake up the recruiting world. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/mikey-williams-considering-an-hbcu-a-move-that-could-shake-up-college-basketball-150047572.html
Playing basketball at an HBCU is a very tough move.  Not because the schools aren't good, but because you spend all November and December travelling, and for the most part they don't have the facilities and support system that the big boys do.  I saw a segment on Bryant Gumbel's HBO show about it, and those kids have a real tough time of it.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 12:42:34 PM »

Well technically the amendment did not meet the 2/3 threshold in the House or Senate as none of the Southern state representatives were present. I believe a 1867 SCOTUS decision ruled that none of those states had the authority to secede from the Union without the consent of the congress. None the less they are a part of our constitution.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 12:54:03 PM »
Interesting
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:56:49 PM by jesmu84 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 01:15:10 PM »
Wow.

Lots of true colors coming out lately

I mean, that's just history.  What's the issue?

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 01:21:33 PM »
Well technically the amendment did not meet the 2/3 threshold in the House or Senate as none of the Southern state representatives were present. I believe a 1867 SCOTUS decision ruled that none of those states had the authority to secede from the Union without the consent of the congress. None the less they are a part of our constitution.

It met the threshold.  The rebellious states never held elections to seat House members and the Senators all resigned. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 01:57:42 PM »
I mean, that's just history.  What's the issue?

Maybe nothing.

Or maybe multiple posts in different threads... A+B=C

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into random, unrelated posts

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 03:01:39 PM »

13th Amendment, 1970's?? It was ratified by enough states, and subsequently enacted shortly after the Civil War, no?

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 03:05:06 PM »
13th Amendment, 1970's?? It was ratified by enough states, and subsequently enacted shortly after the Civil War, no?

Yes, but a number of states symbolically ratified it later.

And Mississippi ratifed it in the 1990s.

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 04:42:59 PM »
Speaking of HBCU recruiting. El Ellis one of the best JUCOs next year who Marquette had reached out to at some point is down to 8 schools like Louisville Texas Tech UConn and included NC Central in the cut. Will be interesting to see if any of these kids actually go to one of these schools. I still think the resources are just too big of a disadvantage to make up. I think it may take a booster putting up money for the basketball team and there are not many NBA players from HBCU with Kyle O’Quinn being the only one that comes to mind right now.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2020, 06:02:55 PM »
Playing basketball at an HBCU is a very tough move.  Not because the schools aren't good, but because you spend all November and December travelling, and for the most part they don't have the facilities and support system that the big boys do.  I saw a segment on Bryant Gumbel's HBO show about it, and those kids have a real tough time of it.

Howard is the HBCU most likely to be able to do it. They are in a higher level conference now, they're in a major media market, they are a private school which doesn't have to worry about state funding being gutted, and they don't have to travel much due to their location. The longest distance they traveled for a game this past year was to Notre Dame and they can get decent home games. I've met kids and coaches who have played for Jackson State, Grambling, FAMU and others and talked to them about what they go through. It's a hard life during the non-conference when they're on the road and all over the country for the entire time. SWAC schools have it the worst.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2020, 06:20:36 PM »
Yes, but a number of states symbolically ratified it later.

And Mississippi ratifed it in the 1990s.

Correct, I got it wrong, Mississippi was the last one to ratify.  Kentucky ratified in 1976, and Mississippi in 1995, both had previously rejected the amendment in 1865. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

panda

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2020, 06:25:50 PM »
Howard is the HBCU most likely to be able to do it. They are in a higher level conference now, they're in a major media market, they are a private school which doesn't have to worry about state funding being gutted, and they don't have to travel much due to their location. The longest distance they traveled for a game this past year was to Notre Dame and they can get decent home games. I've met kids and coaches who have played for Jackson State, Grambling, FAMU and others and talked to them about what they go through. It's a hard life during the non-conference when they're on the road and all over the country for the entire time. SWAC schools have it the worst.

MEAC stinks as well

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2020, 07:14:11 PM »
MEAC stinks as well

Was thinking they left. It was Hampton who did.

Still, the MEAC is in a better place geographically so teams can bus to more NC games with fewer extended road trips.

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2020, 08:44:25 PM »
FAMU is leaving the MEAC for the SWAC. So I doubt the MEAC has it better.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2020, 09:23:24 PM »
Would it be awesome if top black players said no to Kentucky and yes to Grambling St? You bet.

But the deck (and the $$$) is stacked against them.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2020, 09:57:34 PM »
Would it be awesome if top black players said no to Kentucky and yes to Grambling St? You bet.

Agreed on both points.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2020, 01:00:23 AM »
FAMU is leaving the MEAC for the SWAC. So I doubt the MEAC has it better.

Football and geography. The were on an island in Florida compared to the rest of the conference and football took a hit with Hampton and NC A&T leaving for the Big South.

I doubt things have improved much at Grambling since this came out: 
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/swac/2013/10/21/grambling-players-provide-shocking-details-former-coach-swayed-them-back-out-of-protest/3144353/

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2020, 03:28:39 PM »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2020, 05:52:14 PM »
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1272599052924772352?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Interesting idea, not sure how well it would actually work.

does it help the cause when all the ACC schools win by 20+? 

Unless they give the HBCU schools a home game it's a hollow gesture.