'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Patrick Ewing announces he has tested positive for COVID-19  (Read 20424 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Patrick Ewing announces he has tested positive for COVID-19
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2020, 07:09:41 PM »
Unless you are old enough to have lived through either of the world wars or the Great Depression, the world has not seen anything as big as this pandemic during your lifetime.

You're right, but the fact it's a pandemic and a virus that has brought out so much fear and weirdness in people, is what is strange to me. This isn't like a nuclear attack on the country or something where the entire world would be wiped out. But that's just it, there are people that do think the world is going to end because of this and that it's going to kill absolutely everyone. Just bizarre.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2020, 07:12:11 PM »
But that's just it, there are people that do think the world is going to end because of this and that it's going to kill absolutely everyone. Just bizarre.

I actually know zero people that share this belief.  So it’s weird to me that you know so many that feel this way. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2020, 07:18:57 PM »
(clears throat). JB.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2020, 07:25:54 PM »
You're right, but the fact it's a pandemic and a virus that has brought out so much fear and weirdness in people, is what is strange to me. This isn't like a nuclear attack on the country or something where the entire world would be wiped out. But that's just it, there are people that do think the world is going to end because of this and that it's going to kill absolutely everyone. Just bizarre.

But the threat of a huge nuclear attack wiping out humanity was always that - a threat. As far as most people know, we only came really close once, during the Cuban Missile Crisis. The pandemic is more than just a vague threat or even a close call - it’s actually here, still spreading and killing tens of thousands of human beings.

I don’t know of anyone who thinks it is going to kill everyone, but it is the biggest deal we have seen in this country since World War II.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2020, 07:39:16 PM »
(clears throat). JB.

Bingo...that's one, and read twitter comments, you'll find many more.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2020, 07:43:57 PM »
Correct, very ignorant to compare HIV to Covid 19.

Ridiculous.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2020, 08:05:23 PM »
Ridiculous.
I was never really afraid of AIDS I always kept up with science and it was pretty quick known transmission was through bodily fluids like blood etc. I remember the very early days thought to be a homosexual desease. That was specially taken by the crazy ultra conservative "religious" crazies.
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2020, 08:17:49 PM »
I'm not necessarily saying they are terrified now, but at one point people WERE terrified, you said it yourself. I mean, let's be realistic here, we can do whatever we need to do to TRY to mitigate the risks(wear masks, gloves, stay home more etc), but the bottom line is, there is still no guarantee you won't get it. You could do absolutely everything right and people around you could do everything right and you could still get it whether it's from the grocery store, a church, anywhere you go.

Maybe one of the better analogies I can think of is with cancer...you can live the healthiest lifestyle there is, and there's still no guarantee you aren't going to get it at some point. Hopefully you don't, but even with the best precautions/doing everything right you can possibly do, it's still no certainty. The point is, if you get it, you get it and there's not much you can do about it, that's with any disease.

If you read some of the twitter comments that I have read during this, yes, there are actually people out there that are terrified, that think the world is coming to an end and getting Covid is an automatic death sentence.

The thing is, 5 or 10 years from now after we have gotten a vaccine for this(hopefully there will be one), people are STILL going to have this in the back of their minds and live differently because of it. To ME(and I don't speak for everyone), that's weird.

The doom and gloom and the terror people demonstrated through this is something I would more equate to if the USA suffered a nuclear attack and radiation was everywhere...now that would be a certain death sentence, and the downright fear people were demonstrating would be warranted.
I can see what you are trying to say, but cancer is a whole different animal. Cancer is a cell mutation that is triggered and everyone has the potential. Of course the diet etc. can help you to an extent. My uncle who was a very knowledgeable oncologist said that it could be about 10-15% related to diet. Most cancer propensity is family related and if DNA breakthroughs keep going many cancers could be prevented but it will still take a lot of science.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2020, 09:34:37 PM »
Unless you are old enough to have lived through either of the world wars or the Great Depression, the world has not seen anything as big as this pandemic during your lifetime.

Other than Marquette’s national championship in 1977 and the White Sox World Series win in 2005.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2020, 09:37:50 PM »
They have like four guys on the team. I think they’ll be fine.
Lol.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2020, 10:09:08 PM »
Ridiculous.

Went back and read your post.  I get the scare factor comparison.  But as we learned more about HIV we found, aside from blood transfusions, needle sticks and body fluid mucous membrane exposure in medical personnel, that lifestyle changes would virtually eliminate any risk of getting it. 

You are right though it was initially extremely nerve racking.  My comment was more for people comparing mode of transmission and risk of getting the virus for the general population.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2020, 11:02:07 PM »
Went back and read your post.  I get the scare factor comparison.  But as we learned more about HIV we found, aside from blood transfusions, needle sticks and body fluid mucous membrane exposure in medical personnel, that lifestyle changes would virtually eliminate any risk of getting it. 

You are right though it was initially extremely nerve racking.  My comment was more for people comparing mode of transmission and risk of getting the virus for the general population.

I hear you Scooter but the AIDS epidemic seems to be easily dismissed here. 36 million dead vs. 350k with COVID to date.  Swine Flu was worse so far.  Hong Kong flu in 1969-70 was way worse. Statistically can COVID be worse?  Absolutely but it's not yet by a long shot.  Folks need to check their biases, though. AIDS was a death sentence.

I believe science can catch us up here.

#Perspective.  But folks here need to get a grip too starting with the mods. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2020, 11:20:32 PM »
You don’t get AIDS or cancer or any of the other day ridiculous analogies by just being in the same room with people who have AIDS or cancer.

Some people seem almost desperate to downplay a virus that has killed 100K Americans in 3 months and that probably would have killed 500K or 1 million of us or more had we not done the kind of mitigation that we’ve done.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2020, 11:37:23 PM »
You don’t get AIDS or cancer or any of the other day ridiculous analogies by just being in the same room with people who have AIDS or cancer.

Some people seem almost desperate to downplay a virus that has killed 100K Americans in 3 months and that probably would have killed 500K or 1 million of us or more had we not done the kind of mitigation that we’ve done.
[/b]

You(nor anyone else) have ZERO way of knowing what the death count would have been. None whatsoever. That's like saying If I would have bought a lottery ticket I "probably" would have won it. It's just as ridiculous.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2020, 12:46:10 AM »
[/b]

You(nor anyone else) have ZERO way of knowing what the death count would have been. None whatsoever. That's like saying If I would have bought a lottery ticket I "probably" would have won it. It's just as ridiculous.

You can say that we have ZERO way of knowing, that is correct.

But to say the odds of sheltering in place (and other steps taken) reducing the death count of the pandemic are comparable to the odds of winning the lottery with a single tickets is....well...ridiculous.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2020, 12:49:36 AM »
Dr. B and Unleash, my comments were not meant to minimize the AIDS pandemic in the slightest. Merely countering arguments that I've seen here and elsewhere that because we didn't shelter in place for AIDS that we shouldn't have had to shelter in place now.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2020, 02:13:46 AM »
[/b]

Nope you are completely wrong on this. That is why I can tell you there will be 200k deaths from COVID by August and I'm being conservative. I knew there were going to be 100k by May. The projections on this type of virus on the conservative side are very easy to predict as long as there is no cure or treatment. You can just look at numbers and do simple math. If there is a second wave by fall you will have at least 500k deaths by December. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2020, 02:29:36 AM »

Likely more than 100k have also died from other neglected medical conditions, lack of "elected" care, preventive or early diagnostic care, mental issues, or the effects of a devastating economy over the past 2.5 months.

#overkill
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2020, 05:05:56 AM »
Bingo...that's one, and read twitter comments, you'll find many more.

If you are forming your opinions based on Twitter comments, I have no argument .

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2020, 05:44:28 AM »

Likely more than 100k have also died from other neglected medical conditions, lack of "elected" care, preventive or early diagnostic care, mental issues, or the effects of a devastating economy over the past 2.5 months.

#overkill

Source?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2020, 06:13:15 AM »
Anti lockdown tweets are being driven by bots.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2020, 07:31:37 AM »

#overkill

That's absolutely unbelievable speculation. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 07:33:58 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2020, 07:46:48 AM »

#overkill
Keypad flatulence without a source.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2020, 08:57:47 AM »
Jeesh.

Can we at least agree that you don't get AIDS or cancer or heart problems simply by being in close proximity to somebody with those conditions, so it's ridiculous to compare COVID-19 to them?

Or are some going to continue to press those kinds of narratives just because?

Also ... there is an entire other board set up for these discussions.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback