[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Patrick Ewing announces he has tested positive for COVID-19  (Read 20565 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Patrick Ewing announces he has tested positive for COVID-19
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2020, 02:08:07 PM »
So the positives are going down despite far more testing, glad we agree

And the negatives are more people dying than before. Which kind of outweighs the positives. And the totals are not going down. So also not good.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2020, 02:21:48 PM »
The numbers show that those states with extended stay at home orders usually see flattening.  It makes sense.  I have never said that states shouldn't open back up and in fact I am largely supportive of how Wisconsin's counties have managed this.  The chaos we saw early after the Court's ruling was by and large replaced by common sense orders.

But even then cases are rising.  Yet the health care system seems to be managing it well.

But two months ago we were not ready.  The orders gave us time to order PPE, ventilators, ramp up testing, etc.  And the unemployment numbers are a GREAT sign.  They really are.  It shows that the shut down had positive health benefits, and that that negative economic benefits were temporary.  At least I hope so.  We will see.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2020, 02:24:25 PM »
The numbers show that those states with extended stay at home orders usually see flattening.  It makes sense.  I have never said that states shouldn't open back up and in fact I am largely supportive of how Wisconsin's counties have managed this.  The chaos we saw early after the Court's ruling was by and large replaced by common sense orders.

But even then cases are rising.  Yet the health care system seems to be managing it well.

But two months ago we were not ready.  The orders gave us time to order PPE, ventilators, ramp up testing, etc.  And the unemployment numbers are a GREAT sign.  They really are.  It shows that the shut down had positive health benefits, and that that negative economic benefits were temporary.  At least I hope so.  We will see.

The hospitals are definitely more prepared and at least from a first responder standpoint, having experience and protocols in place has made it something we can manage better than we could 2 months ago.

The problem still remains testing and contact tracing. The best way to slow future outbreaks is to identify and stop them as soon as they happen. Without a thorough nationwide testing and tracing plan, which is virtually non-existent at this point, we are going to be chasing outbreaks for who knows how long.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2020, 02:59:50 PM »
We are seeing a second spike in Wisconsin. Three of the five highest death totals (and the two highest) have come in the past 10 days. 6 of the 10 highest dates with the most confirmed cases have been since Memorial Day.

The good news is that percent of positives is down, but that is also because they are now testing more asymptomatic patients so that was always expected (while they can turn up positive, there were no asymptomatic tests given early on). There was a spike after Memorial Day and if the correlation there is actually causation we should expect to see another.

I know that the facts don't comport with the narrative you want to embrace, but I don't think the facts have any real care for your feelings, so sorry about that.

Perspective should be included.

633 total deaths.  73% are age 60 and above.  0 deaths age 19 or younger.  There have been 6 deaths in Wisconsin age 20 to 29.  All tragic.  No one is suggesting they are not, but there are many more deaths in the state each year in those age groups for other reasons. If you look at the line chart for deaths in the state is practically flat since April 1st.  It has gone up, but some perspective is needed in what that means.

Dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/deaths.html
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #154 on: June 06, 2020, 09:23:16 AM »
The hospitals are definitely more prepared and at least from a first responder standpoint, having experience and protocols in place has made it something we can manage better than we could 2 months ago.

The problem still remains testing and contact tracing. The best way to slow future outbreaks is to identify and stop them as soon as they happen. Without a thorough nationwide testing and tracing plan, which is virtually non-existent at this point, we are going to be chasing outbreaks for who knows how long.

What u are proposing is virtually impossible and really most likely wholly ineffective anyway.  Fine in theory, but will not ever work
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #155 on: June 06, 2020, 10:00:24 AM »
What u are proposing is virtually impossible and really most likely wholly ineffective anyway.  Fine in theory, but will not ever work

Source?

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2020, 10:33:10 AM »
350 Million people. Test takes about 15 minutes to administer and get the results. Do the math. Or should we only test 200 million leaving 150 million people untested.? What if it takes 30 days to test 200 million people. I was tested on day one. Do I stay quarantined for the next 29 days? And then when I get out, on average 40 percent of the people I come in contact with haven't been tested.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #157 on: June 06, 2020, 10:40:14 AM »
350 Million people. Test takes about 15 minutes to administer and get the results. Do the math. Or should we only test 200 million leaving 150 million people untested.? What if it takes 30 days to test 200 million people. I was tested on day one. Do I stay quarantined for the next 29 days? And then when I get out, on average 40 percent of the people I come in contact with haven't been tested.

This is non-sense.  If you want to be serious about it, it works like this.

1. Try to limit your contact through social distancing - wear a mask.
2. If you feel sick get a test. Some professions with high contact should be tested periodically on a proactive basis. Finally some areas may be sampled to test pervasiveness of spread.
3. If you test positive give the names of those you know you came in contact with to a contact tracer so they can quarantine for 14 days and potentially be tested as well.  You will likely be asked to quarantine for 11-14 days depending on whether you are symptomatic.

I have never seen anything about 29 days. Also this isn’t rocket science.  They are doing this in Kerala, India successfully so why is this ‘impossible’ here?  Are we lacking resources or will?

My guess the latter- you just don’t want to do it. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 10:42:08 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #158 on: June 06, 2020, 10:46:39 AM »

Virtually impossible? There are at least three dozen countries that have that, including Ethiopia, South Korea, Vietnam, New Zealand, Colombia, and Chile. Too bad the United States lags so far behind those countries in basic care for its citizens.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #159 on: June 06, 2020, 02:00:27 PM »
Continued thoughts and prayers for Ewing. Again.