[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Where will Marquette's Basketball Program Be in Five Years?

Back on top with Wojo, headed for Blue Blood Status
Good but not great
We'll have fits and spurts and we'll win more than we lose, but rare air is nowhere in sight
Wojo will be fired and we'll be in the middle of another major reconstruction. After two horrible seasons, we'll be a .500 team.
Does Marquette have a basketball team?

Author Topic: Our Future/MUBB  (Read 17020 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Our Future
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2020, 05:12:05 PM »
I don't think this is true. I can only think of 2 or 3 posters who have said that Wojo has been greater than his results actually show. Most that you label as "ProJo" are people who are optimistic that he can continue to improve and get us to where we want to go. This is fundamentally different from posters who have declared that Wojo is a terrible coach and needs to be fired. I've criticized the ProJos when they make ridiculous arguments just as much as I have the NoJos when they make ridiculous arguments. The difference is that there are a lot more NoJos.

Ners, I know you think repeating the mantra of "I knew 10 games in that Wojo didn't have it" makes you a basketball genius. All it actually shows is that your initial assessment of Wojo was completely based on how much playing time John Dawson got vs. Derrick Wilson. During Buzz' last year, you turned into a caricature of yourself and your entire identity on this site was centered around your assertion that Dawson was better than Derrick. When Buzz left and Wojo came in, it was your opportunity to show everyone that you were right. If a new coach came in and picked Dawson over Derrick (as you assumed he would) and the team improved, it would prove that you were right and everyone else was wrong. Instead, a second coach in a row picked Derrick over Dawson, effectively ending the debate. Since you can't accept the possibility of being wrong, then it must mean that the coach "doesn't have it."

Ners also said Dawson was better than Rowsey.

And he just actually used "hood" in his post because, you know, he gets jiggy with so much street cred.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2020, 05:20:41 PM »
Well 21 Scoopers currently think we will be back on top in 5 years with Wojo trending us toward Blueblood.

When you have a posting history of finding ways to rationalize and justify a coach's performance for nearly 5 years straight, that pretty much makes you a ProJo.  We all know the hardcore ones, Chicos aliases aside.  There were about 15 of you guys.  About 10 have jumped off.

As for binary, yes, I did think starting Derrick Wilson and playing him for 33 minutes a game with Duane Wilson and Matt Carlino on the roster was a binary decision, just as it was for Buzz the year prior.  As it relates to a coach, in my view it is a binary decision - he either has "it" or he's "just a guy."  We have a "just a guy."  But, he is a good man, clean cut, brings "good" kids into the program.  We know MU under Wojo won't take risks on kids from the hood.  The hypocrisy is rich.

Duane Wilson, coming off injury, played 29 MPG. Matt Carlino player 33 MPG. Play them both 40. No wonder they didn’t turn into Steve Nash and Dameon Lillard. Wojo not giving them max minutes ruined their MVP level NBA careers, just like it has for so many other should have been MU greats.

Define “hood.” Is Baltimore the “hood?” Detroit? Public schools of Chicago? Seriously wtf are you even talking about? I’d say you can’t honestly be this stupid, but over the past 10 days or so you have proven you most definitely are.

If you had it your way, there would be 0 people living in “the hood” because those “poor” people couldn’t have children. So I’m shocked you don’t support Wojo’s obvious recruiting strategy of only recruiting privileged, wealthy kids with kushy, protected lives.

Unbearable.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Our Future/MUBB
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2020, 05:24:59 PM »
I think we should have played Luke Wilson.  I bet he could act “hood” if he had to
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2020, 09:19:30 PM »
I've criticized the ProJos when they make ridiculous arguments just as much as I have the NoJos when they make ridiculous arguments. The difference is that there are a lot more NoJos.

21 ProJos voted in the poll. 13 (or 17 if you count a joke response) NoJos. What do you base your “a lot more NoJos” assertion on?

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2020, 09:47:12 PM »
21 ProJos voted in the poll. 13 (or 17 if you count a joke response) NoJos. What do you base your “a lot more NoJos” assertion on?

If you really believe there were 21 serious votes for MU being a blue blood in 5 years then I have a bridge I’d like to sell you.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2020, 10:13:39 PM »
I am certain there are people who would do better than Wojo has at MU. I am also certain that even those who are paid to decide who that person is have 0 way of knowing for sure. Wojo needs to be better down the stretch of seasons. I expect he will.
Most of them would not even consider coaching MU. The MU coaching position is attractive to young coaches, who see MU as a stepping stone to something bigger. This is true of most Big East schools.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2020, 10:31:55 PM »

The fact that I can read.

But you do bring up a good point. I'm only talking about vocal posters on this site. I'd imagine the vast majority of scoopdom falls in the middle. But among the vocal minorities, I see a lot more calls for Wojo to be fired than for Wojo to get a raise.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2020, 11:49:11 PM »
Most of them would not even consider coaching MU. The MU coaching position is attractive to young coaches, who see MU as a stepping stone to something bigger. This is true of most Big East schools.
Very  NoJo.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2020, 08:20:02 AM »
I don't think it's a big deal per se. But you also don't see many coaches getting fired after 20 win seasons. And therein lies the problem this board has with Wojo. He's too good to fire, he's not good enough to really get anyone excited about him as a coach. Eventually, something will give, one way or the other.

Plenty fair TAMU. I hope with all my MU buckets heart and soul MU gets back to the 2011-2013 level, and in a perfect world, to 1967-1979 level. But after six years, it becomes less and less of a possibility in my mind.
GO WARRIORS!

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2020, 10:12:27 AM »
I don't think this is true. I can only think of 2 or 3 posters who have said that Wojo has been greater than his results actually show. Most that you label as "ProJo" are people who are optimistic that he can continue to improve and get us to where we want to go. This is fundamentally different from posters who have declared that Wojo is a terrible coach and needs to be fired. I've criticized the ProJos when they make ridiculous arguments just as much as I have the NoJos when they make ridiculous arguments. The difference is that there are a lot more NoJos.

Ners, I know you think repeating the mantra of "I knew 10 games in that Wojo didn't have it" makes you a basketball genius. All it actually shows is that your initial assessment of Wojo was completely based on how much playing time John Dawson got vs. Derrick Wilson. During Buzz' last year, you turned into a caricature of yourself and your entire identity on this site was centered around your assertion that Dawson was better than Derrick. When Buzz left and Wojo came in, it was your opportunity to show everyone that you were right. If a new coach came in and picked Dawson over Derrick (as you assumed he would) and the team improved, it would prove that you were right and everyone else was wrong. Instead, a second coach in a row picked Derrick over Dawson, effectively ending the debate. Since you can't accept the possibility of being wrong, then it must mean that the coach "doesn't have it."

Once again, you are wrong bud.  Wojo's use of Deonte was proof positive he didn't have it.  The results speak for themselves during Derrick Wilson's two years of playing 30+ minutes.  Buzz's last year was a train wreck, and outlier from any other in his head coaching career..and have zero doubt that was a function of him being disgruntled. 

Even if, in your opinion, Derrick was better than John Dawson, we all saw Derrick was a major liability and we were playing 4 on 5.  Buzz didn't have Matt Carlino or Duane Wilson eligible and on the roster.  Wojo did..and still played Derrick 33, leading us to a 4-14 record. 

Year 2 was confirmation of Year 1.  He tried to force Haanif into PG role, when Traci Carter was much more natural at PG.  He was all over with JJJ.  Carter and JJJ had steal rates among the best in colllege hoop that year, yet he didn't max their time.  Lineup was easy that year:  Carter, Cheatham, JJJ, Henry, Luke. 

So, its a nice try to suggest my early call on Wojo was a simple byproduct of playing Derrick Wilson over John Dawson - but there were plenty of other red flags.  Per usual, those of you with the kind, empathetic, compassionate, patient approach have great intentions - yet simply don't acknowledge the reality, or understand actual cause/effect.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2020, 10:23:03 AM »
Duane Wilson, coming off injury, played 29 MPG. Matt Carlino player 33 MPG. Play them both 40. No wonder they didn’t turn into Steve Nash and Dameon Lillard. Wojo not giving them max minutes ruined their MVP level NBA careers, just like it has for so many other should have been MU greats.

Define “hood.” Is Baltimore the “hood?” Detroit? Public schools of Chicago? Seriously wtf are you even talking about? I’d say you can’t honestly be this stupid, but over the past 10 days or so you have proven you most definitely are.

If you had it your way, there would be 0 people living in “the hood” because those “poor” people couldn’t have children. So I’m shocked you don’t support Wojo’s obvious recruiting strategy of only recruiting privileged, wealthy kids with kushy, protected lives.

Unbearable.

Sounds a lot like your affluent, suburban, private school upbringing.  No wonder you love Wojo so much.  He recruits kids that you feel comfortable around.

If you don't think there is a difference in the kind of kids Wojo has brought in, versus Buzz, you are once again in denial of reality. What's funny is that those of you who are so "woke" frequently cite the quality of kids Wojo's brought in as a major feather in his cap.  The hypocrisy never stops with you guys.  It's like you can't make this crap up.  Your kind was outraged over people in Missouri at Lake of Ozarks not social distancing, the Wisconsin Supreme Court overturning the stay at home order, condemning those who went to bars,  but all of a sudden it doesn't matter at all, when thousands pack together to protest. 

Facepalm.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2020, 01:51:38 PM »
Sounds a lot like your affluent, suburban, private school upbringing.  No wonder you love Wojo so much.  He recruits kids that you feel comfortable around.

If you don't think there is a difference in the kind of kids Wojo has brought in, versus Buzz, you are once again in denial of reality. What's funny is that those of you who are so "woke" frequently cite the quality of kids Wojo's brought in as a major feather in his cap.  The hypocrisy never stops with you guys.  It's like you can't make this crap up.  Your kind was outraged over people in Missouri at Lake of Ozarks not social distancing, the Wisconsin Supreme Court overturning the stay at home order, condemning those who went to bars,  but all of a sudden it doesn't matter at all, when thousands pack together to protest. 

Facepalm.
In support of your point, MU did not offer Deontay Long. The only DI program who did offer Long was Grambling and even they made him sit out the first year.

So I find it kind of ironic that MU basketball and others are espousing how much they care about social justice, yet when given the ideal type of redemptive Opportunity with a kid like Long, they all chose to pass. 

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/deontay-long-preferred-walk-on-grambling-state

https://hbcugameday.com/2019/06/30/grambling-adds-three-star-recruit-looking-for-a-fresh-start/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2020, 01:57:53 PM »

Facepalm.

AKA I'll throw out a random, clearly false statement, and then when called out for it I'll just turn to political BS.

Well done.  You continue to be as dumb as you've been posting for the last couple weeks.  That is HARD to keep up.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter