[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Golden Eagles Alumni TBT 2020  (Read 99632 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Golden Eagles Alumni TBT 2020
« Reply #475 on: July 12, 2020, 07:02:59 PM »
Overseas Elite added Johnson, but overall was a weaker team than in the past. And it showed with how much they relied on one guy. Of the “Big 4” teams, I would argue Marquette was the only one who got better compared to last year. I think they got the bad shooting game out of their system today. Really excited for Tuesday. I bet they are -5 or so.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #476 on: July 12, 2020, 07:06:42 PM »
I made the mistake of posting something positive yesterday before being reminded that this is a place that only allows griping and bitching about all things Marquette Basketball.

I have pretty much given on on basketball discussions on the board here. Some guys just can't enjoy that these guys are out there giving it their all.

The refs didn't job us, the other team wasn't dirty, we all know Derrick is a terrible offensive player, blah, blah, blah. I'm sick of the same few people trying to destroy this board for the hundreds of others who come here. They do it during the regular season and they are trying to do it now. I, for one, have finally resolved to never respond to these few joy suckers and I would encourage others to do the same.

Maybe they will go away. Maybe we can then get back to honest give and take about both the good and the bad happenings that are MU basketball.

I'm just enjoying seeing these guys out there playing so hard and well. Win or lose on Tuesday, they have been fun to watch.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #477 on: July 12, 2020, 07:08:01 PM »
Overseas Elite added Johnson, but overall was a weaker team than in the past. And it showed with how much they relied on one guy. Of the “Big 4” teams, I would argue Marquette was the only one who got better compared to last year. I think they got the bad shooting game out of their system today. Really excited for Tuesday. I bet they are -5 or so.

I thought right from the start that should have been the favorite. They may possibly have 3 of the top 10-12 players in the TBT.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #478 on: July 12, 2020, 07:10:11 PM »

I just love having him on the floor with shooters like those other 3 because he always knows where to pass the ball to.

Totally.  Its incredible to me to watch the presence he commands on the floor, given how overmatched he is physically and speed-wise at this point.  But he just seems so in control of the proceedings when he's out there, and it feels like everyone is kind of cognizant of where he is.  Its a blast to watch.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #479 on: July 12, 2020, 07:10:23 PM »

The fact we were seeded behind Cuse was definitely the head scratcher.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #480 on: July 12, 2020, 07:11:43 PM »
Devendorf sucks

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #481 on: July 12, 2020, 07:41:43 PM »

You're right to a point, Goat. I just love having him on the floor with shooters like those other 3 because he always knows where to pass the ball to.

His under the basket inbound to a cutting Jamil is a perfect example of what Travis brings in that respect. Looks like a fairly basic play but the timing, touch, and location on the pass made it so Jamil didn't have to waste a single millisecond gathering himself or altering his trajectory to the basket and it was a guaranteed 2 points. Love that guy.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #482 on: July 12, 2020, 07:46:31 PM »
His under the basket inbound to a cutting Jamil is a perfect example of what Travis brings in that respect. Looks like a fairly basic play but the timing, touch, and location on the pass made it so Jamil didn't have to waste a single millisecond gathering himself or altering his trajectory to the basket and it was a guaranteed 2 points. Love that guy.

On the game winner, Travis had a great pick to ensure an open shot for Wilson.

panda

• All American
« Reply #483 on: July 12, 2020, 07:47:57 PM »
Whats the common denominator for complaining about someone "complaining"

Just making a comment - No complaints from me.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #484 on: July 12, 2020, 08:39:16 PM »
Totally.  Its incredible to me to watch the presence he commands on the floor, given how overmatched he is physically and speed-wise at this point.  But he just seems so in control of the proceedings when he's out there, and it feels like everyone is kind of cognizant of where he is.  Its a blast to watch.

I think even in his prime Diener was overmatched physically. Never very athletic but a basketball genius and deadeye shooter. He’s only refined those. That calf hobbling him makes him look even older and slower out there than he actually is.

But he’s just so EFFICIENT. No wasted dribbles, or passes, or shots cause he’s always set in his spot. I watched a video recently of Mike Miller, stiff and slow with a bad back, absolutely COOK one of his players at Memphis with craftiness and efficiency of movement. Watching Diener is the same vibe. They talk about the game slowing down for young ballers...it moves at a glacial speed for #34

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #485 on: July 12, 2020, 10:02:11 PM »
2021 Marquette Basketball Head Coach: Travis Diener

How good does that sound?  Guaranteed less than 6 years to 1 win in NCAA tourney.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #486 on: July 12, 2020, 10:13:19 PM »

You're right to a point, Goat. I just love having him on the floor with shooters like those other 3 because he always knows where to pass the ball to.

That and he has to be face guarded 30 feet from the hoop. That can open doors for the other guys.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #487 on: July 12, 2020, 10:13:45 PM »
2021 Marquette Basketball Head Coach: Travis Diener

How good does that sound?  Guaranteed less than 6 years to 1 win in NCAA tourney.

It will never happen.
Have some patience, FFS.

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #488 on: July 12, 2020, 10:51:26 PM »

OE does seem to be a weaker team than in years past, but I looked at the records today and they have not been quite as dominating as they seemed.  They won their fourth championship by a lot after blowing out our team in the semis, but they won the first three championship games by two and three points.  Usually they have been a bunch of guys who got together just before the tournament and did not even practice together.  They just had enough talent to get away with getting to know each other in the early rounds.

If what you mean by the Big 4 is the top seeds, you may be right. Of the final four, Dayton was surely better than last year.  Last year they lost in the regional finals at Columbus to Carmen's Crew in a close game.  This year, they dominated the team that beat Carmen's Crew.  They had a couple players from their university team this year.  Sideline Cancer clearly has their best team ever.  It will be a good game Tuesday. 

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #489 on: July 12, 2020, 11:47:49 PM »
Best asset we have for Tuesday night is none other than Derrick Wilson.   Has the  athleticism  needed to slow down Keene.   

UNC Grad MU Fan

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #490 on: July 13, 2020, 05:12:36 AM »
It will never happen.

As an absolute diener lover I'm saving this post in case it ever does happen.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #491 on: July 13, 2020, 07:46:26 AM »
Best asset we have for Tuesday night is none other than Derrick Wilson.   Has the  athleticism  needed to slow down Keene.

Ben Snider of the Anonymous Eagle Podcast summed up Derrick perfectly:

Quote from: @bensnider94
He’s insanely good at the things that aren’t immediate requirements of being a good basketball player in order to make up for him being bad at the things that are

He brings so much value to this team in terms of defense, hustle, and the willingness to defer. Knows his role and plays it perfectly. Epitome of a team-first guy. It's clear why he's started for Buzz, Wojo, and Chapman.

https://twitter.com/bensnider94/status/1282428644762230784?s=21
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #492 on: July 13, 2020, 07:48:42 AM »
Watching TBT has been awesome and the job Joe Chapman has done over the last couple of years is really great. Can't give him enough credit for pulling good talent together and then making the most of it. In-game adjustments are great too.

Diener's game right now, reminds me of old man golf.....hit the ball straight for fairways and greens and don't worry about the distance.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #493 on: July 13, 2020, 07:49:47 AM »
Ben Snider of the Anonymous Eagle Podcast summed up Derrick perfectly:

He brings so much value to this team in terms of defense, hustle, and the willingness to defer. Knows his role and plays it perfectly. Epitome of a team-first guy. It's clear why he's started for Buzz, Wojo, and Chapman.

https://twitter.com/bensnider94/status/1282428644762230784?s=21
Always has.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #494 on: July 13, 2020, 07:59:12 AM »
As an absolute diener lover I'm saving this post in case it ever does happen.
I think chick is right. Diener doesn't seem like the guy to grind grind grind on the recruiting trail.

But, that's just like my opinion, man.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #495 on: July 13, 2020, 08:05:04 AM »
Look, I am not a Derrick basher by any means, but the biggest reason he started for Buzz and Wojo is because there were no better options.   I mean he started over John Dawson and a freshman Duane Wilson.

In the last 19 seasons, Marquette has failed to make the post season three times.  Two of those seasons was with Derrick as the starting PG.  I don't disagree with AE's assessment, but let's not act like the choice of him as a PG was out of a position of strength.  In fact, this tournament shows what his role should have been at MU.  And that's not a 30+ mpg guy like he was his last two years at MU.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #496 on: July 13, 2020, 08:19:27 AM »
Random TBT question; I thought I saw Jamal Crawford’s name on here as someone in the tourney. Was he on a team?
No Finish Line

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #497 on: July 13, 2020, 08:27:30 AM »
Random TBT question; I thought I saw Jamal Crawford’s name on here as someone in the tourney. Was he on a team?

He was signed by the Nets before the tournament started.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #498 on: July 13, 2020, 08:28:37 AM »

Jamal Crawford, the 20-year NBA vet, will be playing with the Nets in the NBA restart.

Jordan Crawford, played at Indiana and Xavier, was on the Overseas Elite TBT team.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #499 on: July 13, 2020, 08:33:15 AM »
Jamal Crawford, the 20-year NBA vet, will be playing with the Nets in the NBA restart.

Jordan Crawford, played at Indiana and Xavier, was on the Overseas Elite TBT team.
Chris Crawford is probably available though. He can share an oxygen tank with Travis after every three minute stint.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.