'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fall Semester In-person to Begin August 26 MU  (Read 25778 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Fall Semester In-person to Begin August 26 MU
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2020, 05:25:53 PM »
not necessarily. 

First off, they still cannot work with coaches. Second, there are still state, county, and university policies the schools will have to follow.
[/b]

Eh
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2020, 05:54:08 PM »
If we have college and pro sports this Fall, as expected, will the “doomsdayers” on here that were defiant that not only would we not see sports again until next year, but also criticized how anyone could logically think we could have sports during a pandemic, come out and say they were incredibly wrong???

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2020, 06:03:04 PM »
If we have college and pro sports this Fall, as expected, will the “doomsdayers” on here that were defiant that not only would we not see sports again until next year, but also criticized how anyone could logically think we could have sports during a pandemic, come out and say they were incredibly wrong???

Maybe. Though I’m not sure how many “doomsdayers” said there wouldn’t be sports until next year.

If we don’t have sports this year will the non-doomsdayers come out and say they were incredibly wrong?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2020, 06:42:49 PM »
Again, the goal isn't a solution. It's to reduce risk. There is always going to be risk bringing students back. I guarantee they are taking steps in August and January to mitigate risk as much as possible. Just because they are deciding to take the risk of reopening doesn't mean they shouldn't take steps to mitigate the risk over the course of the semester. As for Easter, that is almost a year a way at this point. A lot can change between now and then. If the pandemic is still in full swing, they will make the necessary changes. No need to commit to that at this point. You are trying to make this a dualistic decision. It's not, there are a lot of options between "Do nothing" and "Shut everything down."

You are entitled to your opinion. Personally, I don't think hero worshiping an entire generation is healthy or fair. I also don't think demonizing an entire generation (like your boomers suck example) is healthy or fair either.
Remember he likes the old days better where everyone kept to their own neighborhoods, very traditional.
Goal is National Championship

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2020, 07:04:40 PM »

I would love to be wrong, but if you're wrong, people die.

Hope you're able to admit that... or sleep at night knowing it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2020, 07:32:00 PM »
Maybe. Though I’m not sure how many “doomsdayers” said there wouldn’t be sports until next year.

If we don’t have sports this year will the non-doomsdayers come out and say they were incredibly wrong?

I think the biggest thing people have said is we won't have sports with fans.

Of course, the "it isn't that bad" crowd likes to point to the projected 2 million death number and say "you were all scared for nothing," ignoring that the projections were if we did nothing. Thanks to the sacrifices we as a society made and the restrictions put in place by our governors we brought that number down significantly and that has given us a chance to have sports again (though I don't know if I'll watch with no fans, it's just a strange experience). However, because of impatience and temper tantrums, it's going back up beyond where it could be and we're not taking steps back.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

muguru

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2020, 07:35:10 PM »
I think the biggest thing people have said is we won't have sports with fans.

Of course, the "it isn't that bad" crowd likes to point to the projected 2 million death number and say "you were all scared for nothing," ignoring that the projections were if we did nothing. Thanks to the sacrifices we as a society made and the restrictions put in place by our governors we brought that number down significantly and that has given us a chance to have sports again (though I don't know if I'll watch with no fans, it's just a strange experience). However, because of impatience and temper tantrums, it's going back up beyond where it could be and we're not taking steps back.

Kyle Rowland
@KyleRowland
·
6h
Ohio State AD Gene Smith says he’s confident that a plan can be implemented where 20,000 to 30,000 fans can attend football games in Ohio Stadium.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2020, 08:13:33 PM »
Kyle Rowland
@KyleRowland
·
6h
Ohio State AD Gene Smith says he’s confident that a plan can be implemented where 20,000 to 30,000 fans can attend football games in Ohio Stadium.

We’ll see. They want their revenue. I wouldn’t go but Ohio is a weird place.

It’s fun to see the “college players are exploited indentured servants “ crowd now yelling “those wussy kids need to get their asses on the field so I can be entertained.”

But if we do, it’s thanks to mitigation and stay at home orders working. Of course, we have to keep it up. 10 workers on Alabama’s stadium tested positive. Not a good sign

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2020, 08:36:54 PM »

I'm still not expecting it because the lack of any standard coherent plan to open, but yes.

I still can't see any rational way college sports has games without fans, or with significantly diminished fans. That revenue supports programs (not teams, entire programs) that rely on buy game revenue. High major programs stand to lose millions per game. That's not an easy loss to absorb. I haven't seen anyone yet address those issues.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2020, 10:12:13 PM »
I'm still not expecting it because the lack of any standard coherent plan to open, but yes.

I still can't see any rational way college sports has games without fans, or with significantly diminished fans. That revenue supports programs (not teams, entire programs) that rely on buy game revenue. High major programs stand to lose millions per game. That's not an easy loss to absorb. I haven't seen anyone yet address those issues.

Another issue: season ticket holders. If we have reduced capacity games do season ticket holders choose a certain number of specific games? For example, at MU do those with more points get first pick of 6 games then the next group picks 6 and so on? If only 25% capacity is allowed how do you divvy up tickets among 10,000+ MU season ticket holders?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2020, 07:40:40 AM »

If we have college sports in front of full stadiums this fall, I will say I was "incredibly wrong."  I will also say that those college's that engage such activity are incredibly stupid.

This sounds good in concept.  But I have a feeling attendees wouldn't engage in the social distancing they would need to.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Carl Spackler

• Starter
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2020, 08:18:51 AM »
I would love to be wrong, but if you're wrong, people die.

Hope you're able to admit that... or sleep at night knowing it.

Do you think the speed limit on all roads should be 20 mph so there is never another traffic death?

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2020, 08:23:41 AM »
I should also add that the problem with Ohio State's plan isn't necessarily what those fans do during the game, but what they do before and after. 

If you go back to the Atalanta / Valencia Champions League match up that many say was the beginning of the problems in Bergamo, many of those who got sick didn't attend the game itself, but hung out in bars and restaurants before and after.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2020, 08:26:44 AM »
Do you think the speed limit on all roads should be 20 mph so there is never another traffic death?

That's quite a leap there, fella.  I hope you don't think this is some sort of valid analogy.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2020, 08:30:50 AM »
No.  But I believe in slowing down for rough train crossings, construction zones, sharp curves and snow storms.   And for speed traps.    Conversely, the guy in the Prius going 61 in a 70 zone is annoying PITA.   Just like the guy in a hurry who drives like an idiot to pass as many cars as possible as he reaches a construction zone.   Or any moron who places more importance on his phone than my safety.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 08:38:55 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2020, 09:20:56 AM »
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/20/coronavirus-university-of-california-campuses-will-open-in-the-fall-napolitano-says/amp/

All University of California campuses will be open in the Fall.  This is very good news for the UCLA matchup. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2020, 09:35:28 AM »
I expect sports to start, but not finish the seasons.
I hope I am wrong.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2020, 09:42:57 AM »
I expect sports to start, but not finish the seasons.
I hope I am wrong.

Same
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2020, 09:46:31 AM »
If they don't start responsibly, they won't finish.  I think some of the Euro soccer leagues can show people how to responsibly start sports.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2020, 12:05:04 PM »

do you think we should not have any speed limits because death is inevitable?

Do you think we should not have drunk driving laws because crashes occur anyway?

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2020, 12:09:37 PM »
Another issue: season ticket holders. If we have reduced capacity games do season ticket holders choose a certain number of specific games? For example, at MU do those with more points get first pick of 6 games then the next group picks 6 and so on? If only 25% capacity is allowed how do you divvy up tickets among 10,000+ MU season ticket holders?

I’m buying mine again, whether I get to go or not. It will just be a donation to the university if I can’t go.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2020, 01:26:41 PM »
My biggest worry is still the revenue losses. Ohio State today said they expect to be able to open with about 20-30% of seats filled. So what would that mean? Well, just in terms of ticket sales revenue, they would presumably go from $50.6 million in ticket sales in 2019 down to around $15.2 million, more than a $35M hit and that's not accounting for concessions, parking, and all the other revenue streams that come with the live gameday experience.

Ohio State will obviously draw on a breadth of financial support few others have access to, but if a school like Marquette is looking at a loss of 70% of gameday revenue, how will they make that up? How will they pay the rent at Fiserv? How will they afford to pay guarantee game opponents? How will they be able to keep other non-revenue programs like volleyball, cross country, and lacrosse afloat?

Ohio State is already claiming they lose money on athletics. They can absorb that, but they are one of the apex programs in the sport? What about those that aren't in the top 10% of programs? Not everyone can lose 70% of gameday and keep going.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2020, 01:29:43 PM »
My biggest worry is still the revenue losses. Ohio State today said they expect to be able to open with about 20-30% of seats filled. So what would that mean? Well, just in terms of ticket sales revenue, they would presumably go from $50.6 million in ticket sales in 2019 down to around $15.2 million, more than a $35M hit and that's not accounting for concessions, parking, and all the other revenue streams that come with the live gameday experience.

Ohio State will obviously draw on a breadth of financial support few others have access to, but if a school like Marquette is looking at a loss of 70% of gameday revenue, how will they make that up? How will they pay the rent at Fiserv? How will they afford to pay guarantee game opponents? How will they be able to keep other non-revenue programs like volleyball, cross country, and lacrosse afloat?

Ohio State is already claiming they lose money on athletics. They can absorb that, but they are one of the apex programs in the sport? What about those that aren't in the top 10% of programs? Not everyone can lose 70% of gameday and keep going.

Is the Fiserv going to be able to control the negotiation for rent next year? I feel like they need us to pay rent next season more than we need them. If we're cutting stadium size anyways may as well play in the Al for most the buy games.
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2020, 01:35:46 PM »

You are going to have to figure out a balance of increasing revenue (fundraising) and decreasing costs (less scholarships, operating expenses.)

But the real question isn't how you make it up.  The question is how you minimize the losses. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2020, 02:49:56 PM »
Guys, basketball season is 6 months away, things could look completely different in 6 months and Full fans may be in the stands for CBB season. We just don't know.