[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Fall Semester In-person to Begin August 26 MU  (Read 25568 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Fall Semester In-person to Begin August 26 MU
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2020, 03:33:44 PM »
This is where the logic doesn't add up for me

In Fall semester kids will be together doing things with other kids, family until late August and then attending MU.  They will then be with kids from around the country in residence halls, sharing communal bathrooms and showers, roommates, classes with many kids.

The come home from Thanksgiving for four days, and that's the trigger and not allowed to return. 

Yet, for Spring semester they will come home for a longer period with Easter / Spring Break and be allowed to return back to school.  Is this hoping that a vaccine or some other change happens in April that isn't happening in November and December?

Again, I don't mind the policy, but the logic behind it seems fall apart at the beginning of the Fall semester and again in the second semester. beginning and post Spring Break.

Did MU announce the spring calendar/schedule?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2020, 03:36:24 PM »
So far per the article:

Additionally, the spring semester courses will begin a week later than usual, starting Monday, Jan. 25, and will go until May 8. Final exams will be administered in-person from May 10 to May 15.
Spring break and Easter Break will be combined. It will take place Saturday, March 27, through Monday, April 5.
Goal is National Championship

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2020, 03:38:39 PM »
So far per the article:

Additionally, the spring semester courses will begin a week later than usual, starting Monday, Jan. 25, and will go until May 8. Final exams will be administered in-person from May 10 to May 15.
Spring break and Easter Break will be combined. It will take place Saturday, March 27, through Monday, April 5.

Thanks. I'm guessing this could be changed pending outbreaks/disease updates

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2020, 03:39:15 PM »

In Fall semester kids will be together doing things with other kids, family until late August and then attending MU.  They will then be with kids from around the country in residence halls, sharing communal bathrooms and showers, roommates, classes with many kids.

The come home from Thanksgiving for four days, and that's the trigger and not allowed to return. 

Yet, for Spring semester they will come home for a longer period with Easter / Spring Break and be allowed to return back to school.  Is this hoping that a vaccine or some other change happens in April that isn't happening in November and December?

Again, I don't mind the policy, but the logic behind it seems fall apart at the beginning of the Fall semester and again in the second semester. beginning and post Spring Break.

For someone who doesn’t mind the policy, you sure are posting enough about it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2020, 03:49:23 PM »
Remember he is in Cali Illinois

FIFY.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2020, 03:51:04 PM »

It's really not that hard. It's about mitigating risk,  not eliminating it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2020, 04:13:08 PM »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2020, 04:47:44 PM »
FBM, do you know if the reasoning behind finishing the semester at Thanksgiving is more flu or COVID based? While no one wants the double shot of both, I think the worry might be college campuses becoming hot spots for a second outbreak as students would scatter across the country at Thanksgiving, bring the germs back to campus and give them a few weeks to really spread throughout the population before sending them back to their homes for Christmas with everyone serving as carriers for the second wave.
I believe that everyone who gets the flu this year will be convinced they have Covid 19 until it is proven otherwise. I would not want to be on campus with a bunch of freaked out people.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2020, 05:21:05 PM »
Who was he before?

Can't really tell. But I seriously doubt that was his first-ever Scoop comment.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2020, 05:47:19 PM »

They don’t need to yet. Fall is key to getting those deposits in right now.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2020, 05:50:10 PM »
They don’t need to yet. Fall is key to getting those deposits in right now.
They did, it is in the article. Obviously could change

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2020, 05:56:34 PM »
This a tough issue for all leaders, university and political,  since none have been through this before. 

IMHO, we are setting ourselves up for something worse in the future due to cutbacks and bankruptcies in the heath care industry.

I'm no expert,  just my observation.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 08:07:43 PM by WhiteTrash »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2020, 06:48:31 PM »
I believe that everyone who gets the flu this year will be convinced they have Covid 19 until it is proven otherwise. I would not want to be on campus with a bunch of freaked out people.

Agreed completely. I've been surprised how many people are convinced they have COVID based on practically nothing, add in flu symptoms and it will be virtually everyone.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2020, 07:23:39 PM »
Agreed completely. I've been surprised how many people are convinced they have COVID based on practically nothing, add in flu symptoms and it will be virtually everyone.
wife and I are convinced we had it back in Feb here in Denver. If not at least a story for the grandkids, oh well. Negative antibody test last week; nurse and our pediatrician both were very skeptical of the testing. "May have had it, antibodies may be gone by now, we just don't know..." Lots of unknowns out there and you're right, any sign of a flu and people will assume(I am certainly guilty of this)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2020, 07:37:19 PM »
But we must mitigate all risk and know answers to all questions!!! 🤪   

I like what MU is doing and understand the thought but is it really going to accimplish that much?  Kids going home on weekends?  Travelling to other campuses, events, etc. its not like campus will be locked down until Tgiving.  Kinda like pissin in da ocean aina?

Watt 'bout intimate sexual contact wit each udder, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2020, 07:45:27 PM »
Doesn't happen at MU.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2020, 01:11:37 AM »
Exactly, you don't know. Guess what, I do, and IT WAS his first post ever. Just doesn't have diarrhea of the mouth like you MU82. Picked his spot and went with it.

Can't really tell. But I seriously doubt that was his first-ever Scoop comment.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2020, 06:12:01 AM »
Exactly, you don't know. Guess what, I do, and IT WAS his first post ever. Just doesn't have diarrhea of the mouth like you MU82. Picked his spot and went with it.

Well hopefully it will be his last as well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2020, 06:15:42 AM »
This is rich.   

How could you even begin to think what that generation might think?  Or anyone other than those that agree with you?  Point to which of the calamities you sight where they shut down schools, tried to prevent voting in person, shut down 'non-essential' businesses, or prevented congregants from gathering? 

Your insight might carry more water if you didn't descend into denigrating those whose actions you don't agree with. 

You certainly cannot grasp the 'petty, weak-willed, and inconsiderate actions' of those who are tired of having their civil rights trampled all over by mini despot governors who are afraid to change course as we learn more about this virus. 

Why does the solution to this have to be one size fits all?  Why are the businesses and hospitals in rural and suburban counties with little to no cases, let alone deaths, told that they are non-essential or that they cannot treat other elective medicine?  All so you and everyone else can feel 'safe at home' (where some 60% of the cases in New York came from BTW)?  Tell that to the 30 million people who have lost their jobs.  That's not sacrifice enough I suppose.  Just take the check from the government until we have a vaccine, if we ever have one, or we run out of other people's money.

I'm sure the greatest generation would admire the 'hiding in our homes until all this is over' approach.

Sorry but no one's civil rights were being "trampeled."  And when people have a f*cking fit over something as simple as wearing a mask in public to protect their fellow citizens, then yes, those people are selfish and weak willed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2020, 10:35:09 AM »

Hmmm. I do like that he starts by criticizing others for having no idea what the Greatest Generation might think and concludes by being sure he knows exactly what the Greatest Generation does think. I'm glad you enjoyed the "first post" of this wonderful spokesperson for an entire generation of Americans, and I wish you both a lovely Sunday.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2020, 11:01:26 AM »
wife and I are convinced we had it back in Feb here in Denver. If not at least a story for the grandkids, oh well. Negative antibody test last week; nurse and our pediatrician both were very skeptical of the testing. "May have had it, antibodies may be gone by now, we just don't know..." Lots of unknowns out there and you're right, any sign of a flu and people will assume(I am certainly guilty of this)
No body has protection, if the antibodies disappear this fast.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2020, 11:04:13 AM »
Hmmm. I do like that he starts by criticizing others for having no idea what the Greatest Generation might think and concludes by being sure he knows exactly what the Greatest Generation does think. I'm glad you enjoyed the "first post" of this wonderful spokesperson for an entire generation of Americans, and I wish you both a lovely Sunday.

https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/7839476746?s=20

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2020, 04:45:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/andygold24/status/1262122278864723970?s=21

.@MarquetteU president Michael Lovell was on a call with VP Pence to advocate for COVID-19 liability insurance for colleges and universities.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2020, 05:43:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/andygold24/status/1262122278864723970?s=21

.@MarquetteU president Michael Lovell was on a call with VP Pence to advocate for COVID-19 liability insurance for colleges and universities.

Won’t need it.  This is all a hoax.  I have on good authority (Trump, Fox, etc.).  It all good. People are wussies.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2020, 06:26:22 PM »
Won’t need it.  This is all a hoax.  I have on good authority (Trump, Fox, etc.).  It all good. People are wussies.

Really?? Knock it off! Keep your BS politics out of it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

feedback