'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fall Semester In-person to Begin August 26 MU  (Read 25935 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Fall Semester In-person to Begin August 26 MU
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2020, 07:44:42 PM »
FBM, do you know if the reasoning behind finishing the semester at Thanksgiving is more flu or COVID based? While no one wants the double shot of both, I think the worry might be college campuses becoming hot spots for a second outbreak as students would scatter across the country at Thanksgiving, bring the germs back to campus and give them a few weeks to really spread throughout the population before sending them back to their homes for Christmas with everyone serving as carriers for the second wave.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2020, 08:22:38 PM »
FBM, do you know if the reasoning behind finishing the semester at Thanksgiving is more flu or COVID based? While no one wants the double shot of both, I think the worry might be college campuses becoming hot spots for a second outbreak as students would scatter across the country at Thanksgiving, bring the germs back to campus and give them a few weeks to really spread throughout the population before sending them back to their homes for Christmas with everyone serving as carriers for the second wave.

Most of the discussions I have had have centered around Covid and not wanting students to scatter around the country only to return. I’m sure flu plays some role in that too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2020, 08:28:11 PM »
But you do understand how travelling home for Thanksgiving and returning to campus could increase the risk right?

It's all about mitigating risk. Not eliminating it all together.

Exactly

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2020, 11:00:37 PM »
But you do understand how travelling home for Thanksgiving and returning to campus could increase the risk right?

Yes and as I said I don’t disagree with the policy. But I also don’t think Thanksgiving will be like it normally is in past years in terms of people congregating, and if we are worried about T-Day risk then why have them come back at all?  These kids (and yes they are kids to me even if they are legal adults) will expose themselves many times over in the first two weeks on campus than anything they do at T-Day.  What is MU going to do, require all students to quarantine two weeks before arriving on campus?  Aren’t they bringing all the virus risk with them from everyone they see 14 days prior to arriving on campus?

At some point we have to stop babying this.  I fear for my kids, I fear for my family and our elderly, but I also fear for our country, our prosperity and our ability to survive as a society.  The solutions provided may do more damage than the virus does.  I try to imagine what the greatest generation would do, and I think they would be mostly surprised at the approach.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2020, 11:03:59 PM »
No perfect solutions.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2020, 11:23:16 PM »
I think second semester planning is much more interesting than first semester 20/21.

I was wondering if MU was going to squash spring break altogether, and go first/second  week of February through mid/late May straight through.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2020, 11:36:56 PM »
Yes and as I said I don’t disagree with the policy. But I also don’t think Thanksgiving will be like it normally is in past years in terms of people congregating, and if we are worried about T-Day risk then why have them come back at all?  These kids (and yes they are kids to me even if they are legal adults) will expose themselves many times over in the first two weeks on campus than anything they do at T-Day.  What is MU going to do, require all students to quarantine two weeks before arriving on campus?  Aren’t they bringing all the virus risk with them from everyone they see 14 days prior to arriving on campus?

At some point we have to stop babying this.  I fear for my kids, I fear for my family and our elderly, but I also fear for our country, our prosperity and our ability to survive as a society.  The solutions provided may do more damage than the virus does.  I try to imagine what the greatest generation would do, and I think they would be mostly surprised at the approach.

The group of people who led us to where we are politically, socially and culturally?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2020, 12:12:51 AM »
Yes and as I said I don’t disagree with the policy. But I also don’t think Thanksgiving will be like it normally is in past years in terms of people congregating, and if we are worried about T-Day risk then why have them come back at all?

Again, because it's about mitigating risk, not eliminating it all together. There are more options than "doing nothing" and "locking down the campus"
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2020, 05:07:12 AM »

But we must mitigate all risk and know answers to all questions!!! 🤪   

I like what MU is doing and understand the thought but is it really going to accimplish that much?  Kids going home on weekends?  Travelling to other campuses, events, etc. its not like campus will be locked down until Tgiving.  Kinda like pissin in da ocean aina?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2020, 09:02:06 AM »
Why not just have the science, engineering, nursing and any other students that require a physical presence be on campus. All other students can continue their course work online. With only those students on campus it might be possible to have only one student per dorm room.

Just a thought...thinking out of the box for a campus like MU's.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2020, 09:13:19 AM »
Why not just have the science, engineering, nursing and any other students that require a physical presence be on campus. All other students can continue their course work online. With only those students on campus it might be possible to have only one student per dorm room.

Would be hilarious then to hear the announcer call us the best student section in the country when those 50 students show up.
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2020, 09:18:24 AM »
Would be hilarious then to hear the announcer call us the best student section in the country when those 50 students show up.

...and who is going to show up after Thanksgiving? You really think we are going to play basketball when you can't even get a hair cut?

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2020, 09:19:08 AM »
...and who is going to show up after Thanksgiving? You really think we are going to play basketball when you can't even get a hair cut?

You can get a haircut most places right now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2020, 09:19:48 AM »

That's probably not far off from what they are doing.  But my guess is that they are being very flexible regarding in-person requirements.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2020, 09:25:42 AM »

You can get a haircut most places right now.

Not here in New Jersey and quite a few other states. I doubt Seton Hall, UConn, St.Johns and Villanova will be opening soon as we are the epicenter of this pandemic, unless the number of cases drop drastically which does not seem to be the case.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2020, 10:29:01 AM »
Yes and as I said I don’t disagree with the policy. But I also don’t think Thanksgiving will be like it normally is in past years in terms of people congregating,

I see you haven't been paying any attention to the news out of Wisconsin.

and if we are worried about T-Day risk then why have them come back at all?  These kids (and yes they are kids to me even if they are legal adults) will expose themselves many times over in the first two weeks on campus than anything they do at T-Day.  What is MU going to do, require all students to quarantine two weeks before arriving on campus?  Aren’t they bringing all the virus risk with them from everyone they see 14 days prior to arriving on campus?

They will, but the idea is to keep that as contained as possible. If they are going to bring students to campus, it's better to do it once rather than repeatedly re-disbursing them back to their communities. It's about mitigating, not eliminating, the risk.

At some point we have to stop babying this.  I fear for my kids, I fear for my family and our elderly, but I also fear for our country, our prosperity and our ability to survive as a society.

Call your politician, tell them to increase the frequency and amount of relief payments. Urge them to follow the CDC guidelines so we can re-open the economy in the safest fashion possible while continuing to work to mitigate the disease. Ask them to provide insurance to allow businesses to protect and retain their work staffs to help control the unemployment. And make sure there are not get-out-of-jail-free cards for big businesses that prevents them from being held liable in the event they ignore guidelines and safe practices in reopening.

The solutions provided may do more damage than the virus does.

I mean...really? No, this is too easy. Pass. On to the next.

I try to imagine what the greatest generation would do, and I think they would be mostly surprised at the approach.

The Greatest Generation was born starting around 1910, which means many of them were children when we suffered the Spanish Flu of 1918. They saw what happened when people stopped wearing masks prematurely, such as in San Francisco with the Anti-Mask League, which helped lead to the second wave that was deadlier than the first.

If they looked at our approach, they would likely say that we are weak because people can't handle wearing masks, because it is a miniscule sacrifice to save the lives of your family, friends, and neighbors. They would say we are greedy if a tiny discomfort when one leaves the home leads people to deliberately put others' lives at risk. Remember, this is the generation that sent a primarily stay-at-home female population into the workforce, many for the first time, while the men went off to fight in the deadliest war in history. Making sacrifices was the entirety of their lives.

They would have perspective on what a a string of catastrophes starting with a pandemic looks like. They followed World War I and the Spanish Flu with the Great Depression, World War II, the Korean War, Vietnam, the Cold War, the Bay of Pigs, etc.

I think they would look at protests like we've seen in Michigan and Wisconsin for the petty, weak-willed, inconsiderate actions they are. They would look at people who say "I won't wear a mask" as asinine because it's such a small sacrifice compared to the benefit it can create on a societal level. And they would probably think the action of staying at home and making due in a tough time is pretty simple compared to all the things they survived, especially when they saw first-hand the ravages a pandemic can cause on a global scale.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:32:32 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2020, 10:33:36 AM »
Hey guys...this isn't a covid thread.

Sounds like Marquette's plan is reasonable.

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2020, 10:56:30 AM »
Warrior Dad is supposedly a parent of a current student. I mean he could call the campus and bitch about the fall schedule if he would like.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2020, 11:56:14 AM »
I think it’s smart, but it doesn’t really make someone a moron who doesn’t. Nobody knows what this will look like in the winter/flu season.
Depends on who wins the election.

nwestpha

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2020, 12:41:07 PM »

If they looked at our approach, they would likely say that we are weak because people can't handle wearing masks, because it is a miniscule sacrifice to save the lives of your family, friends, and neighbors. They would say we are greedy if a tiny discomfort when one leaves the home leads people to deliberately put others' lives at risk. Remember, this is the generation that sent a primarily stay-at-home female population into the workforce, many for the first time, while the men went off to fight in the deadliest war in history. Making sacrifices was the entirety of their lives.

They would have perspective on what a a string of catastrophes starting with a pandemic looks like. They followed World War I and the Spanish Flu with the Great Depression, World War II, the Korean War, Vietnam, the Cold War, the Bay of Pigs, etc.

I think they would look at protests like we've seen in Michigan and Wisconsin for the petty, weak-willed, inconsiderate actions they are. They would look at people who say "I won't wear a mask" as asinine because it's such a small sacrifice compared to the benefit it can create on a societal level. And they would probably think the action of staying at home and making due in a tough time is pretty simple compared to all the things they survived, especially when they saw first-hand the ravages a pandemic can cause on a global scale.

This is rich.   

How could you even begin to think what that generation might think?  Or anyone other than those that agree with you?  Point to which of the calamities you sight where they shut down schools, tried to prevent voting in person, shut down 'non-essential' businesses, or prevented congregants from gathering? 

Your insight might carry more water if you didn't descend into denigrating those whose actions you don't agree with. 

You certainly cannot grasp the 'petty, weak-willed, and inconsiderate actions' of those who are tired of having their civil rights trampled all over by mini despot governors who are afraid to change course as we learn more about this virus. 

Why does the solution to this have to be one size fits all?  Why are the businesses and hospitals in rural and suburban counties with little to no cases, let alone deaths, told that they are non-essential or that they cannot treat other elective medicine?  All so you and everyone else can feel 'safe at home' (where some 60% of the cases in New York came from BTW)?  Tell that to the 30 million people who have lost their jobs.  That's not sacrifice enough I suppose.  Just take the check from the government until we have a vaccine, if we ever have one, or we run out of other people's money.

I'm sure the greatest generation would admire the 'hiding in our homes until all this is over' approach.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2020, 01:17:31 PM »
Please stop the bickering.  The numbers will tell the story.  If people in Green Bay, Oshkosh, Sturgen Bay, and Sheboygan get sick, game over.  If only peoole in Milwaukee, Kenosha, Janesville, Racine get sick, life goes on.  (Not really)

We plan now, the decisions will be data driven come the end of summer and the fall.

We can open up whatever we want, we can take whatever risk we want, but if people don't go out and spend, and participate, there will be no demand.  A surge in sickness will kill demand notwithstanding the supply.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2020, 02:46:33 PM »
This is rich.   

How could you even begin to think what that generation might think?  Or anyone other than those that agree with you?  Point to which of the calamities you sight where they shut down schools, tried to prevent voting in person, shut down 'non-essential' businesses, or prevented congregants from gathering? 

Your insight might carry more water if you didn't descend into denigrating those whose actions you don't agree with. 

You certainly cannot grasp the 'petty, weak-willed, and inconsiderate actions' of those who are tired of having their civil rights trampled all over by mini despot governors who are afraid to change course as we learn more about this virus. 

Why does the solution to this have to be one size fits all?  Why are the businesses and hospitals in rural and suburban counties with little to no cases, let alone deaths, told that they are non-essential or that they cannot treat other elective medicine?  All so you and everyone else can feel 'safe at home' (where some 60% of the cases in New York came from BTW)?  Tell that to the 30 million people who have lost their jobs.  That's not sacrifice enough I suppose.  Just take the check from the government until we have a vaccine, if we ever have one, or we run out of other people's money.

I'm sure the greatest generation would admire the 'hiding in our homes until all this is over' approach.

Well, somebody is back from a banning ... and seems to be angling for another.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2020, 02:52:04 PM »
This is where the logic doesn't add up for me

In Fall semester kids will be together doing things with other kids, family until late August and then attending MU.  They will then be with kids from around the country in residence halls, sharing communal bathrooms and showers, roommates, classes with many kids.

The come home from Thanksgiving for four days, and that's the trigger and not allowed to return. 

Yet, for Spring semester they will come home for a longer period with Easter / Spring Break and be allowed to return back to school.  Is this hoping that a vaccine or some other change happens in April that isn't happening in November and December?

Again, I don't mind the policy, but the logic behind it seems fall apart at the beginning of the Fall semester and again in the second semester. beginning and post Spring Break.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2020, 03:29:01 PM »
I see you haven't been paying any attention to the news out of Wisconsin.

They will, but the idea is to keep that as contained as possible. If they are going to bring students to campus, it's better to do it once rather than repeatedly re-disbursing them back to their communities. It's about mitigating, not eliminating, the risk.

Call your politician, tell them to increase the frequency and amount of relief payments. Urge them to follow the CDC guidelines so we can re-open the economy in the safest fashion possible while continuing to work to mitigate the disease. Ask them to provide insurance to allow businesses to protect and retain their work staffs to help control the unemployment. And make sure there are not get-out-of-jail-free cards for big businesses that prevents them from being held liable in the event they ignore guidelines and safe practices in reopening.

I mean...really? No, this is too easy. Pass. On to the next.

The Greatest Generation was born starting around 1910, which means many of them were children when we suffered the Spanish Flu of 1918. They saw what happened when people stopped wearing masks prematurely, such as in San Francisco with the Anti-Mask League, which helped lead to the second wave that was deadlier than the first.

Remember he is in Cali
Goal is National Championship

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2020, 03:33:19 PM »
Well, somebody is back from a banning ... and seems to be angling for another.

Who was he before?