[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fall Semester In-person to Begin August 26 MU  (Read 25858 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Fall Semester In-person to Begin August 26 MU
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2020, 08:14:23 PM »
Really?? Knock it off! Keep your BS politics out of it.
LOL
Goal is National Championship

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2020, 11:54:22 PM »
No body has protection, if the antibodies disappear this fast.

Look at the number of sailors on the Roosevelt that are testing positive a second time.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2020, 11:58:36 PM »
Look at the number of sailors on the Roosevelt that are testing positive a second time.
Yep as I said before immunity has not yet been scientifically proven.
Goal is National Championship

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2020, 09:33:58 AM »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

muwarrior69

• All American

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2020, 06:19:43 PM »

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2020, 09:03:19 AM »
MU and another midwestern, Catholic school's reopening plans on the front page of Chicago Tribune this am

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2020, 01:26:38 PM »
For someone who doesn’t mind the policy, you sure are posting enough about it.

Four posts in this topic when I have my daughter impacted by it?  Excuse me for caring.  You have what, 10+ posts on this topic and no child at MU impacted by it.

I don't mind the policy, but the holes in the logic justifying it are big.  No one here has proven that not to be the case.  If the school was seriously believing going home for four days at Thanksgiving is going to help then what are they doing to address the the kids coming to the school in August, in classrooms, going home for the weekends.   The ultimate point is you can't do anything really short of a total lockdown, which I am against.  I'm happy the school is starting this way, built up some immunity, stop quarantining healthy people, but the post Thanksgiving non-return is a mirage especially if the policymakers are ok with them coming back to campus in January and back again post Easter break.  A number of inconsistencies.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2020, 01:28:39 PM »
The group of people who led us to where we are politically, socially and culturally?

The group of people who saved this country and the world from NAZIsm and tyranny that came with it.  That group.  Yes, that group of people.  That's the group of people I am talking about that put country first, enlisted.  Correct. That is the group of people I am referencing.  The greatest generation of Americans. 
— Plato

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2020, 01:40:46 PM »
Four posts in this topic when I have my daughter impacted by it?  Excuse me for caring.  You have what, 10+ posts on this topic and no child at MU impacted by it.

I don't mind the policy, but the holes in the logic justifying it are big.  No one here has proven that not to be the case.  If the school was seriously believing going home for four days at Thanksgiving is going to help then what are they doing to address the the kids coming to the school in August, in classrooms, going home for the weekends.   The ultimate point is you can't do anything really short of a total lockdown, which I am against.  I'm happy the school is starting this way, built up some immunity, stop quarantining healthy people, but the post Thanksgiving non-return is a mirage especially if the policymakers are ok with them coming back to campus in January and back again post Easter break.  A number of inconsistencies.

For the fifth time, it's about mitigating risk, not eliminating it all together. There are more choices then "Do nothing" and "Lock everything down"
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2020, 01:51:47 PM »
The group of people who saved this country and the world from NAZIsm and tyranny that came with it.  That group.  Yes, that group of people.  That's the group of people I am talking about that put country first, enlisted.  Correct. That is the group of people I am referencing.  The greatest generation of Americans.

Every generation has its high points and its low points. You have to take both the good and bad of every generation, to do otherwise is to be dishonest about its history. We do refer to it as the greatest generation but it is just a name. That generation is not any greater (or lesser) than any generation that came before it or after it.
TAMU

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2020, 01:59:14 PM »

It isn't an inconsistency.  Schools are mitigating risk in numerious ways.  This is one of them.  You don't think it will be effective.  MU thinks otherwise.  Schools are dealing with many unknowns since the situation is unprecedented.  Time will tell what worked and what didn't.

Does this need to be explained to you yet again?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2020, 02:05:22 PM »
For the fifth time, it's about mitigating risk, not eliminating it all together. There are more choices then "Do nothing" and "Lock everything down"

Thank you Brother TAMU. You hit the nail right on the head.

If we eliminate risk, we'll take away what it means to be human -- the social interaction with each other. That's not a world I want to live in. There's reasonable precautions we all should take but we need to get on with life.

Embrace it! Life will then embrace you!

muguru

• All American
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2020, 03:36:13 PM »
I'm not sure why its huge news.  The NCAA was going to allow this eventually because individual states are doing their own thing.  It's actually going to provide the potential for some disadvantages if some universities aren't going to allow their students to gather even for voluntary activities.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2020, 03:41:24 PM »

Using the Swedish template.
 You should be giddy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2020, 03:42:42 PM »

Agree on the intent or the PR front, but it is wildly inconsistent and lacks logic.  It's a bandaid and a way to say we are doing something.  There are no perfect solutions, and this one is as imperfect as any because it is so wildly at odds with how the school is accepting kids in August, January and Easter.  If you are going to mitigate, why wouldn't you have mitigation plans for those instances which pose a far greater risk? 

Every generation has its high points and its low points. You have to take both the good and bad of every generation, to do otherwise is to be dishonest about its history. We do refer to it as the greatest generation but it is just a name. That generation is not any greater (or lesser) than any generation that came before it or after it.

I'm not sure if it is possible to disagree more with a message.  Yes, there are good and bad with all generations, but there are absolutely some generations greater than others in totality.  In 1941 we were not a wealthy nation still on the heels of the Great Depression, we had an army smaller than Portugal's, we are mostly farmers and in four years fought a war in Europe, Africa and Asia that cost 60,000,000 lives.  People walked away from their jobs because it was the right thing to do.  We built 120 Aircraft carriers in four years after struggling to pass a bill in 1939 for ONE.  It was a generation that willed itself to victory despite enormous mistakes and defeats.  Miscalculations were not blame-gamed or endlessly litigated.  We don't think like that anymore and haven't since the 60's.  Can Do attitude is replaced with how we cannot do it, won't do it, or shouldn't do it.

I'm sorry, they are called the greatest generation for a reason and some generations are considerably greater than others.  How often do we read here how the baby boomers suck and ruined it for everyone? 
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2020, 03:46:55 PM »
Thank you Brother TAMU. You hit the nail right on the head.

If we eliminate risk, we'll take away what it means to be human -- the social interaction with each other. That's not a world I want to live in. There's reasonable precautions we all should take but we need to get on with life.

Embrace it! Life will then embrace you!

I support this view entirely.  Embrace life, protect the vulnerable, but let's get back on our feet and stop being cowards about this.  I find each passing day to be self defeatist.  Let's get going, risk is impossible to remove and hunkering down is only kicking the can down the road.  I'm glad MU is back in August, I wish they would do full, normal term.  Let the social interaction start (it hasn't ended with the kids still up there anyway) and get rocking again.
— Plato

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2020, 03:47:56 PM »
Agree on the intent or the PR front, but it is wildly inconsistent and lacks logic.  It's a bandaid and a way to say we are doing something.  There are no perfect solutions, and this one is as imperfect as any because it is so wildly at odds with how the school is accepting kids in August, January and Easter.  If you are going to mitigate, why wouldn't you have mitigation plans for those instances which pose a far greater risk? 

I can guarantee you that no school is doing this for PR reasons or just as a way to say "we are doing something."

And schools are developing mitigation plans for August, January and Easter.  The first thing they are doing is announcing the schedule so students and families are aware and plan ahead.  Annoucing what move in is going to look like in August will happen.  But it's May.  Still a moving target in many ways.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2020, 04:00:58 PM »
I support this view entirely.  Embrace life, protect the vulnerable, but let's get back on our feet and stop being cowards about this.  I find each passing day to be self defeatist.  Let's get going, risk is impossible to remove and hunkering down is only kicking the can down the road.  I'm glad MU is back in August, I wish they would do full, normal term.  Let the social interaction start (it hasn't ended with the kids still up there anyway) and get rocking again.

Why?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2020, 04:06:06 PM »

Lol

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2020, 04:44:08 PM »

Again, the goal isn't a solution. It's to reduce risk. There is always going to be risk bringing students back. I guarantee they are taking steps in August and January to mitigate risk as much as possible. Just because they are deciding to take the risk of reopening doesn't mean they shouldn't take steps to mitigate the risk over the course of the semester. As for Easter, that is almost a year a way at this point. A lot can change between now and then. If the pandemic is still in full swing, they will make the necessary changes. No need to commit to that at this point. You are trying to make this a dualistic decision. It's not, there are a lot of options between "Do nothing" and "Shut everything down."

I'm not sure if it is possible to disagree more with a message.  Yes, there are good and bad with all generations, but there are absolutely some generations greater than others in totality.  In 1941 we were not a wealthy nation still on the heels of the Great Depression, we had an army smaller than Portugal's, we are mostly farmers and in four years fought a war in Europe, Africa and Asia that cost 60,000,000 lives.  People walked away from their jobs because it was the right thing to do.  We built 120 Aircraft carriers in four years after struggling to pass a bill in 1939 for ONE.  It was a generation that willed itself to victory despite enormous mistakes and defeats.  Miscalculations were not blame-gamed or endlessly litigated.  We don't think like that anymore and haven't since the 60's.  Can Do attitude is replaced with how we cannot do it, won't do it, or shouldn't do it.

I'm sorry, they are called the greatest generation for a reason and some generations are considerably greater than others.  How often do we read here how the baby boomers suck and ruined it for everyone?

You are entitled to your opinion. Personally, I don't think hero worshiping an entire generation is healthy or fair. I also don't think demonizing an entire generation (like your boomers suck example) is healthy or fair either.
TAMU

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2020, 05:14:50 PM »
This is HUGE news...

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1263189960573796352?s=21

not necessarily. 

First off, they still cannot work with coaches. Second, there are still state, county, and university policies the schools will have to follow.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2020, 05:20:53 PM »

Very liberal of you.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter