[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Not a Good Sign about Mane  (Read 6079 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Not a Good Sign about Mane
« on: May 13, 2020, 08:50:00 AM »
The CBC seems optimistic Karim Mane will be an outstanding find for the NBA. This does not sound optmistic about our chances.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/karim-mane-basketball-player-2020-nba-draft-1.5548415
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:23:45 AM by mu_hilltopper »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Not a Good Sign
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 09:04:45 AM »
I like that they wrote Dupaul  ;D. Looks a less promising, but still says he wants to keep all options open.
Goal is National Championship

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 09:22:06 AM »
Santa Maria went for a cruise in 1492, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Not a Good Sign about Mane
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 11:26:13 AM »
Go get the kid from Stony Brook already
Can have a very good season with him vs a pipe dream. Mane will go in 2nd round and have a nice G league career
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 11:48:53 AM »
The CBC seems optimistic Karim Mane will be an outstanding find for the NBA. This does not sound optmistic about our chances.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/karim-mane-basketball-player-2020-nba-draft-1.5548415
But wait....Wojo always gets his man.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 11:57:04 AM »
Go get the kid from Stony Brook already
Can have a very good season with him vs a pipe dream. Mane will go in 2nd round and have a nice G league career

I agree 100%...I have said, I want one more talented player for this year yet. The kid(actually two of them) Olaniyi or Foreman would be fine, but Olaniyi would have to sit one, so i'd rather have Foreman.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 12:22:36 PM »
I agree 100%...I have said, I want one more talented player for this year yet. The kid(actually two of them) Olaniyi or Foreman would be fine, but Olaniyi would have to sit one, so i'd rather have Foreman.

Have any of you looked at Foreman's advanced stats? He is not a good basketball player.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 12:23:15 PM »
Santa Maria went for a cruise in 1492, hey?
Yup and didn't end well. Ran aground Christmas 1492 off coast of Haiti, wood (hey) used for a fort.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 01:06:15 PM »
So, college BB is becoming a low minor league for professional basketball?  If the cream of the crop are going pro, does this help level the court against the Blue Bloods?  Many more 4 star and 3 stars than 5 stars.  So if the 5 stars are gone a more level field?  Does Kentucky, Duke and Kansas take a bigger blow than Marquette?

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 01:18:40 PM »
So, college BB is becoming a low minor league for professional basketball?  If the cream of the crop are going pro, does this help level the court against the Blue Bloods?  Many more 4 star and 3 stars than 5 stars.  So if the 5 stars are gone a more level field?  Does Kentucky, Duke and Kansas take a bigger blow than Marquette?

I don’t think so. The blue bloods will get the best of the available players and it will just trickle down from there.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 02:08:09 PM »
If the top 15 players are gone...#16, #19, and #22 will go to Duke;
#17, #18, #24 and #28 will go to KU. Etc.

The hierarchy order will stay the same, with all teams getting bumped down ~15 spots. 

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 02:13:41 PM »

The hierarchy order will stay the same, with all teams getting bumped down ~15 spots.
[/quote

And that is true.

However, when Duke is getting #1, #3 and #7 and NC State is getting #45, there is a big discrepancy in talent.
Now, Duke is getting #'s 16, 19 and 22 while NC State is getting #60.  That discrepancy drops quite a bit and evens the playing field.

I think if this moves forward, we will see how good of a coach Coach K and Cal really are.  They have had a huge talent advantage over others that can help hide their short comings.  So will the talent level a bit more even, we will see if it was talent or if it was coaching that was leading to their success.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 02:24:36 PM »

But with the very best players gone, the remaining players will be bunched much closer together in terms of ability, so many more teams will be comparable.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 02:24:43 PM »
With NIL coming, it's likely a short-term prospect that the G League will be grabbing prospects. In addition, it sounds like they just want part of the team to be one-and-done talents and to pair them up with seasoned pros to serve as role models. So there probably won't ever be more than 5-8 prospects in the program. If they were to expand it to 15, they will have to make two separate developmental teams to do it.

But once there's money to be made in college basketball (and though the NCAA is slow-footing this, they will have to get fully on board or the states will take it out of their hands) players won't have the need to go overseas, and the G League program is really about competing with New Zealand, Australia, and Europe.

If we get to a point where both one-and-done and NIL go through, that program will probably cease to exist. But even if one of the two happens, I don't think that developmental program will last more than 3-5 years. It's a bandaid to keep players like RJ Hampton and LaMelo ball in the States for scouting purposes.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 02:29:16 PM »

And that is true.

However, when Duke is getting #1, #3 and #7 and NC State is getting #45, there is a big discrepancy in talent.
Now, Duke is getting #'s 16, 19 and 22 while NC State is getting #60.  That discrepancy drops quite a bit and evens the playing field.

I think if this moves forward, we will see how good of a coach Coach K and Cal really are.  They have had a huge talent advantage over others that can help hide their short comings.  So will the talent level a bit more even, we will see if it was talent or if it was coaching that was leading to their success.

I agree the best coaches will become people who can beat you with theirs or who can take your guys and beat you with them. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 03:26:16 PM by 4everDawson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2020, 03:06:47 PM »
But wait....Wojo always gets his man.

He does.  100% of the time
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2020, 03:57:52 PM »
IMO i dont even want mane anymore, we're loaded on guards

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2020, 04:08:14 PM »

I do and I hope he sees the value in a Marquette education and a chance to improve his skills!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 04:32:55 PM »
We will lose at least 2 by Next year

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2020, 05:12:56 PM »
But with the very best players gone, the remaining players will be bunched much closer together in terms of ability, so many more teams will be comparable.
I can see logic both ways. The gap between 10 and 20 is bigger than 1 and 10.  But I can also see Duke, UK, etc. getting older and better. Also, coaching is a big deal in college. The blue bloods have better coaches than MU.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2020, 06:44:53 PM »

And other than DJ, there isn't a single Guard as talented on this years team as Mane is/would be. And...they have an open scholarship still.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2020, 09:36:36 PM »
I don’t think so. The blue bloods will get the best of the available players and it will just trickle down from there.

There are more 4 stars than 5 stars and that would help level the field a bit on the talent front.  Another way to think about it, a group of 3's and 4's should have a better chance of beating a bunch of 4's than a bunch of 4's trying to beat teams loaded with 5's.  If one believes the difference between a 4 and a 5 is big. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2020, 10:27:50 PM »
With NIL coming, it's likely a short-term prospect that the G League will be grabbing prospects. In addition, it sounds like they just want part of the team to be one-and-done talents and to pair them up with seasoned pros to serve as role models. So there probably won't ever be more than 5-8 prospects in the program. If they were to expand it to 15, they will have to make two separate developmental teams to do it.

But once there's money to be made in college basketball (and though the NCAA is slow-footing this, they will have to get fully on board or the states will take it out of their hands) players won't have the need to go overseas, and the G League program is really about competing with New Zealand, Australia, and Europe.

If we get to a point where both one-and-done and NIL go through, that program will probably cease to exist. But even if one of the two happens, I don't think that developmental program will last more than 3-5 years. It's a bandaid to keep players like RJ Hampton and LaMelo ball in the States for scouting purposes.

What motivation would a G-League vet like Vander Blue have in mentoring some hot shot 18 year old that is most likely going to take Blue's spot? It's like the Farve/Rodgers or Rodgers/New draft pick guy mentoring. They ain't gonna do it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2020, 06:37:53 AM »
What motivation would a G-League vet like Vander Blue have in mentoring some hot shot 18 year old that is most likely going to take Blue's spot? It's like the Farve/Rodgers or Rodgers/New draft pick guy mentoring. They ain't gonna do it.

My expectation is they'll focus on people that are close to retirement and pay them more than they are paying now. Of course there will be some that do it. People train their replacements to do their jobs every single day.

Someone like Blue, who thinks he's still in his prime at 27, maybe not. But someone like Andre Ingram, who's 34, has had a cup of coffee in the NBA, and is one of the top all-time scorers in G League history, maybe he takes $100,000 a year on a 2-3 year deal to mentor young players. There are dozens of journeymen that would jump all over that role before their career comes to an end.

Also, think about the positive motivational factors for those players as they leave their playing days if they decide to move to coaching. "I worked with NBA players Jalen Green, Kai Sotto, Daishen Nix, and Isaiah Todd" is the kind of thing that will help an old player who's looking to become a young coach whether it's catching on with a NBA team or moving into the college ranks. Could also help on the recruiting trail.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2020, 08:24:47 AM »
My expectation is they'll focus on people that are close to retirement and pay them more than they are paying now. Of course there will be some that do it. People train their replacements to do their jobs every single day.

Someone like Blue, who thinks he's still in his prime at 27, maybe not. But someone like Andre Ingram, who's 34, has had a cup of coffee in the NBA, and is one of the top all-time scorers in G League history, maybe he takes $100,000 a year on a 2-3 year deal to mentor young players. There are dozens of journeymen that would jump all over that role before their career comes to an end.

Also, think about the positive motivational factors for those players as they leave their playing days if they decide to move to coaching. "I worked with NBA players Jalen Green, Kai Sotto, Daishen Nix, and Isaiah Todd" is the kind of thing that will help an old player who's looking to become a young coach whether it's catching on with a NBA team or moving into the college ranks. Could also help on the recruiting trail.

A $100,000 a year isn't going to motivate a veteran guy to mentor a young kid who may or may not respect a washed up veteran.  If that is the model, G-League will have to anti up much more than that.