[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[Today at 10:46:31 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Start of a Talent Drain in the College Basketball Game  (Read 5143 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
The Start of a Talent Drain in the College Basketball Game
Top high-school prospect Jalen Green and a couple of other highly-rated players will be part of the NBA’s rebooted Professional Pathway program

May 11, 2020
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-start-of-a-talent-drain-in-the-college-basketball-game-11589194872?mod=hp_listc_pos4

Armed with a bigger checkbook than in years past, the G-League has suddenly emerged as a disruptive force for Duke, Kentucky and other big programs that rely on one-and-done talent who are all trying to lure the very best high-schoolers. Since launching the Professional Pathway program in 2018, Abdur-Rahim said G-League executives have been in the stands alongside college coaches hunting for talent.

“We were at all of those events: USA Basketball events, top 100 camps, NBA Players’ Association camps,” he said.

After the first year of the program, he said, the G-League identified some problems to work out. For starters, it wasn’t offering enough money. The program’s maximum salary of $125,000 wasn’t enough to persuade kids to turn down a college scholarship or a mid-six figure salary offer from a foreign league, such as Australia’s National Basketball League.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

tower912

• All American
Re: The Start of a Talent Drain in the College Basketball Game
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 09:35:19 AM »
Maybe.  In these uncertain times...  some people...

This has been floating around for a while.  There are kids who just don't want to go to school.  Always have been.  And there have long been stories akin to the ones floating around about Zion.   And for a while, a number of kids went straight from high school to the NBA.   

There are a lot of other uncertainties out there at the moment.   This one is fairly far down my list of concerns.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 10:33:29 AM »
Free market.
They are young adults that ought to be able to do what they feels is best for themselves.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 10:36:53 AM »
Did college basketball survive when the NBA was drafting 18 year olds?  It will survive this, Most college fans root for the names on the front of the jersey.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 10:37:13 AM »
I do not see the G league continuing to pay for players. All pro sports are going to struggle financially in the near future. There is no reason to throw away $500,000 on players that will not bring in revenue to pay for them.

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 10:50:56 AM »
A lot of these kids who think they are ready for The League don't always pan out.
Many of them are still raw talent that need time to sharpen their skills.

Even when their families get the straight dope from the NBA scouts, those ne'er do wells who whisper sweet nothings in their ears tell them to ignore that advice and just jump.

As a previous poster stated, the game of college basketball has survived these NBA incursions in the past and will survive them again.

If anything, a number of these premature departures by star players will even out the playing field in college hoops, making it as exciting as ever.

Let's face it, there is so much talent around the country for college teams that it will keep the game very competitive even without those big names that opt for The League.

As Johnny "Red" Kerr told me once: "There are no secrets in the NBA. Everyone knows who's good."

Go Warriors!

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 10:59:57 AM »
IMHO,  the top 50 RSCI kids each year could not play college basketball (go to G-league, Europe,  wherever) and this would have a minor impact on revenues.  I also believe the quality of the game would still be plenty entertaining to watch.

I would argue whatever revenues lost on CBB due to the top 50 not playing,  would be the same revenue loss if not more of college basketball fans watching less NBA because their favorite college players would not be playing in that league.

Now if you started to remove the top 200 players?  The quality of the game may suffer enough to have a more serious impact.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 11:02:01 AM »
I just don't understand the thought process for these kids going straight to the G League.  The G League is full of grown ass men who were absolute studs in college basketball.  Unless you're a hands down consensus top 5 pick type, how are you going to improve your draft stock going to the G league for a year?  Will you even play? Obviously the $500k is nice, but $500k only goes so far, especially if this decision ultimately costs these guys a lottery pick (and the guaranteed $$$ that comes with that) they would have gotten by going to college for a couple years and being a really good player.  I just don't see the risk/reward benefit. 

As mentioned, the calculus is a bit different if you're a guy that is a surefire top 3-5 pick and can likely compete with the G league guys day in and day out.  But most top 25 type kids can't, and their game is just going to get exposed, and they're likely to be sitting on the bench most of the season.  Maybe they improve during practice playing against grown men, but are you really showcasing your game then?  Are you improving your draft stock?

Plus you're punting the college experience - which may be a benefit for some - don't have to worry about classes, and have some coin in your pocket, but I just don't think it makes sense for most of these guys who are likely to toil away in the G league for a year, end up getting paid less than a living wage the following year after their 1 year $500k G league deal is up, and be forced to go overseas to make some money as a 21 year old kid.  Some would say not all bad.  I don't disagree necessarily - but I just don't think that is the path most of these guys think they're taking.

With respect to the impact on CBB as whole - I think its minimal.  Obviously it would be better for all of the best eligible players to play CBB - but we're talking about a handful of kids spread across 350 teams.  Even if you want to just eliminate all programs except high majors, its still just a handful of guys spread across 75+ teams.  Just not going to make the big of an impact IMO.   
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:04:49 AM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 11:20:49 AM »
Frankly .. I think MU is better off with a "talent drain." 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 11:33:54 AM »
Frankly .. I think MU is better off with a "talent drain."

Yup.

panda

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 11:38:04 AM »
The extremely poor officiating and mainly block/charge calls are far more detrimental than a few kids going pro.

Can’t fault a kid who has no interest in school to go pro and cash in.

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 12:57:57 PM »
Agree with the majority. This is another worthless topic on the board. Simply the intro to the return of Freshmen to the NBA. A dozen or so kids who don't want to be playing College BB won't be forced to waste a year of their life "in school".

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 01:01:05 PM »
Immaterial effect on the overall quality of college hoops.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 01:28:45 PM »
Agree that impact, if any, will be minimal. College ball will be just as thrilling and with kids that want to be there.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 01:34:10 PM »
Did college basketball survive when the NBA was drafting 18 year olds?  It will survive this, Most college fans root for the names on the front of the jersey.

college basketball was excellent from 1995 to the start of the one and done era. 1998 Kentucky, 1999 UConn (beating a LOADED Duke team in the finals), 2000 MSU, 2001 Duke, 2002 Maryland, 2005 UNC (that whole Final Four was loaded) were great upperclassmen dominated teams. I'm more than happy to see a return to those days.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 01:43:13 PM »
Who were the top prospects that would've skipped on recent champs? Okafor and Unibrow are the only two that ring a bell to me though I don't remember the UNC team that won it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 01:49:05 PM »
college basketball was excellent from 1995 to the start of the one and done era. 1998 Kentucky, 1999 UConn (beating a LOADED Duke team in the finals), 2000 MSU, 2001 Duke, 2002 Maryland, 2005 UNC (that whole Final Four was loaded) were great upperclassmen dominated teams. I'm more than happy to see a return to those days.

College basketball was pretty excellent before then as well.  There were a lot of great teams in the 70’s and 80’s as well
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2020, 03:20:29 PM »
College basketball was pretty excellent before then as well.  There were a lot of great teams in the 70’s and 80’s as well

For sure, but I was just referencing the post-Garnett era when kids were jumping straight to the pros. I'd stack up some of those champs against any of the champs over the last twelve years. 2000 MSU would have blitzed everyone in last year's Final Four and even some of the runners up, like 2005 Illinois, 1999 Duke, 2001 Arizona, 2003 Kansas (sorry) and 1997 Kentucky. among others, are better than many of the champs from the one and done era.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »
For sure, but I was just referencing the post-Garnett era when kids were jumping straight to the pros. I'd stack up some of those champs against any of the champs over the last twelve years. 2000 MSU would have blitzed everyone in last year's Final Four and even some of the runners up, like 2005 Illinois, 1999 Duke, 2001 Arizona, 2003 Kansas (sorry) and 1997 Kentucky. among others, are better than many of the champs from the one and done era.

The Anthony Davis Kentucky team would beat every one of those teams.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2020, 03:41:25 PM »

I agree with this.  I also think there are a wide variety of reasons why, including one-and-done. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2020, 03:42:25 PM »

I’d listen to this argument.  Davis was an unicorn.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2020, 03:51:04 PM »
So we should be sad that kids who don’t even want to go to college have found a different route?

Why?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2020, 04:30:15 PM »
This is really really dumb, what 10 kids leave out if 4200? D1 players. 
So what?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2020, 04:44:34 PM »

that's why I said "most." That was an awesome team. However, some of the other champs (UVA, 2010 Duke, 2011 UConn, for example) were weak champions compared to those early and mid-2000's champs.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2020, 06:05:44 PM »
This is really really dumb, what 10 kids leave out if 4200? D1 players. 
So what?
Also, makes sense to abandon the amateur model and lets the kids pay their way off earnings. I'm sure that will work out well for the 99%.

Look, I know the P6 schools and others will find "jobs" to foot the bill for the players but the vast majority of DI schools will suffer. Might be time for D1-A for the bigger schools.