'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Start of a Talent Drain in the College Basketball Game  (Read 5107 times)

oldwarrior81

• All American
Re: The Start of a Talent Drain in the College Basketball Game
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2020, 06:27:38 PM »
These high schoolers aren't going to end up In Oshkosh or Fort Wayne on a regular G League team.

They're going to be together in one camp, working with coaches that have NBA experience, preparing them to play in the NBA.  I think I read Sam Mitchell will be one of the coaches.
There also will be a few select veteran players that will work with them.  They may play no more than 10-12 games all season against the existing G League teams.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:31:27 PM by oldwarrior81 »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2020, 07:14:42 PM »
I just don't understand the thought process for these kids going straight to the G League.  The G League is full of grown ass men who were absolute studs in college basketball.  Unless you're a hands down consensus top 5 pick type, how are you going to improve your draft stock going to the G league for a year?  Will you even play? Obviously the $500k is nice, but $500k only goes so far, especially if this decision ultimately costs these guys a lottery pick (and the guaranteed $$$ that comes with that) they would have gotten by going to college for a couple years and being a really good player.  I just don't see the risk/reward benefit. 

As mentioned, the calculus is a bit different if you're a guy that is a surefire top 3-5 pick and can likely compete with the G league guys day in and day out.  But most top 25 type kids can't, and their game is just going to get exposed, and they're likely to be sitting on the bench most of the season.  Maybe they improve during practice playing against grown men, but are you really showcasing your game then?  Are you improving your draft stock?

Plus you're punting the college experience - which may be a benefit for some - don't have to worry about classes, and have some coin in your pocket, but I just don't think it makes sense for most of these guys who are likely to toil away in the G league for a year, end up getting paid less than a living wage the following year after their 1 year $500k G league deal is up, and be forced to go overseas to make some money as a 21 year old kid.  Some would say not all bad.  I don't disagree necessarily - but I just don't think that is the path most of these guys think they're taking.

With respect to the impact on CBB as whole - I think its minimal.  Obviously it would be better for all of the best eligible players to play CBB - but we're talking about a handful of kids spread across 350 teams.  Even if you want to just eliminate all programs except high majors, its still just a handful of guys spread across 75+ teams.  Just not going to make the big of an impact IMO.

I agree a ton of guys have looked like absolute world beaters against college players and have parlayed that into a ton of money as lottery or first round picks, only to be exposed over the life of their contract.  To accept far less money to take the significantly greater chance of getting exposed by professionals does not seem the best route to me. Myself and most others on this board, have much more wisdom, i am sure, than the players or families making the decision.  The jails and graveyards of the world are full of people that felt it couldnt happen to them. For every kid that left early and made it there are probably 50 baggin groceries
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2020, 07:27:14 PM »
The Anthony Davis Kentucky team would beat every one of those teams.

The 2015 Kentucky team was even better. They just didn’t win the title. They’re the best team of the last 20 years and I’m not even sure it’s close.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2020, 07:29:21 PM »
Didn't Nova's second championship team set the record for margin of victory in the tournament or something?  I just remember that championship game being really boring because it was essentially over with 10 minutes to go.  Ability to play 5 out, 5 future NBA players (plus Booth in the G-League).  Have an outside shot of getting a sixth player from that roster into the NBA with either Samuels or Gillespie.  Think I might take that team over Davis' UK, although it's close.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2020, 07:47:27 PM »
I think this is great both for the kids who can go to G league and for college basketball.  If you're good enough to get paid - go get paid.  If you're not elite as an 18 year old, develop yourself and your skills in a college program.  Hopefully the NCAA will allow student athletes to get paid a reasonable amount as well.

I predict a scenario where this helps some teams with good coaching and good player development who recruit kids in the 25-200 rank range and get them to stay 3-4 years.  The coaches with a good system would be able to develop players for their system and win more games.  The Calipari's of the world, who couldn't coach a dog out of a cage but consistently get the top 10 recruits would be the ones who struggle. 

Finally if you look at normal G league salaries, or normal salaries from 2nd level overseas leagues where an 18 year old could play, the NCAA could remain competitive by offering school + room & board + a small amount of $$... for example:
-  Top 50 teams $30k/year per player
- 50-150 $20k/year per player
- 150+ $10k/year per player

This is all a better deal than a standard G league salary, or living in some crappy apartment in serbia with 3 room-mates while making $5k/month for 4 months per year and wondering if you'll ever get paid at all...
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2020, 06:22:49 AM »
The 2015 Kentucky team was even better. They just didn’t win the title. They’re the best team of the last 20 years and I’m not even sure it’s close.

They are definitely in the argument. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2020, 10:21:53 AM »
I do not see the G league continuing to pay for players. All pro sports are going to struggle financially in the near future. There is no reason to throw away $500,000 on players that will not bring in revenue to pay for them.

I think this is an important point.  For Jalen Green's sake, I hope he already signed that contract.  With every sport experiencing a significant decrease in revenue for next year and trying to renegotiate existing player salaries, I don't see much money available for stuff like this.  I still don't see how paying these kids that much money to participate in a training program makes sense for the NBA, let alone all the supporting players, coaches and other expenses, but it's their money.  I could even see them potentially cancelling the entire G-League for next year.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2020, 02:12:44 PM »
A talent drain?  I think in terms of the numbers involved it is better characterized as a talent drip, and a slooow one at that.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2020, 02:44:58 PM »
A talent drain?  I think in terms of the numbers involved it is better characterized as a talent drip, and a slooow one at that.

Ho kidding.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter