collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230664 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #2075 on: December 23, 2021, 10:53:37 AM »
I think the whole foundation and system of student loans, as well as current college pricing, is FUBAR and in drastic need of overhaul and change.  However, I think blanket student loan forgiveness is a shiny political trinket that won't ever happen and would actually not do anything to fix the greater issue. 

For every truly sad or unfortunate story about student loan debt, there are plenty of people who took on debt to go to a university that wasn't financially prudent for a degree that never projected to financially take care of large debt burdens in a timely fashion.

FWIW, I'm strongly in favor of free CC/associate degrees.  I could come around to a $10K chop on existing balances or something of the like.  And all of this is coming from someone who has student debt themselves.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2076 on: December 23, 2021, 10:59:29 AM »
I think the whole foundation and system of student loans, as well as current college pricing, is FUBAR and in drastic need of overhaul and change.  However, I think blanket student loan forgiveness is a shiny political trinket that won't ever happen and would actually not do anything to fix the greater issue. 

For every truly sad or unfortunate story about student loan debt, there are plenty of people who took on debt to go to a university that wasn't financially prudent for a degree that never projected to financially take care of large debt burdens in a timely fashion.

FWIW, I'm strongly in favor of free CC/associate degrees.  I could come around to a $10K chop on existing balances or something of the like.  And all of this is coming from someone who has student debt themselves.

Yes. A 10k chop that equates to paying off the gen Ed's that you're pressured into overpaying for at brand name universities would be a great start.

As far as the income of the degree vs debt burden I like Purdues model (or at least my understanding of it)
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2077 on: December 23, 2021, 11:54:59 AM »

Ewe went ta skool wit mee? Hoo new, hey?

Da hole Rocky ting iz a red hearing.  Dude lives in Cudahy, hey.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2078 on: December 23, 2021, 12:27:42 PM »
How about just stopping charging the interest on the payments. The horror stories always revolve around massive payments on the interest.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2079 on: December 23, 2021, 12:48:45 PM »
Da hole Rocky ting iz a red hearing.  Dude lives in Cuda, hey?

ftfy

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2080 on: December 23, 2021, 02:47:21 PM »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2081 on: December 23, 2021, 03:37:03 PM »
Yes. A 10k chop that equates to paying off the gen Ed's that you're pressured into overpaying for at brand name universities would be a great start.

As far as the income of the degree vs debt burden I like Purdues model (or at least my understanding of it)

Who pressured us? We paid for more than classes, it was the college experience of being in the dorms, the social life, freedom, maturation, etc. People who lived at home or went to CCs didn’t get that, whether by choice or other reasons.

My friend’s kids went to college 1.5 miles from home. They can walk to campus in 20 minutes. They wanted their kids to live on campus for those reasons. There was no pressure, even after his wife was laid off. That’s where some of the loans went, living expenses. Does the argument change when people recognize many of these loans went to rent and food?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 03:39:54 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2082 on: December 23, 2021, 05:55:58 PM »
Who pressured us? We paid for more than classes, it was the college experience of being in the dorms, the social life, freedom, maturation, etc. People who lived at home or went to CCs didn’t get that, whether by choice or other reasons.

My friend’s kids went to college 1.5 miles from home. They can walk to campus in 20 minutes. They wanted their kids to live on campus for those reasons. There was no pressure, even after his wife was laid off. That’s where some of the loans went, living expenses. Does the argument change when people recognize many of these loans went to rent and food?

Times change.  School is outrageously overpriced.

Honestly, I don't care if the loans went to rent and food.  Especially if they're the government backed loans.  Private loans I could be talked into them being different.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2083 on: December 23, 2021, 06:47:13 PM »
" We should forgive student loans for a ton of reasons.  If you'd like me to go over them for you, I can, but your mind on the matter seems pretty made up, so why bother? "

why doesn't this surprise me?  everyone get's a trophy, enyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2084 on: December 23, 2021, 06:50:27 PM »
Went to the post office yesterday. Incurred $7.38 in charges. Gave the dude $20.08 in cash. Received $13.30 in change. Not everyone should be going to college. Dis kountry iz sew fooked, aina?

no wonder the usps is always losing money...head slap

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2085 on: December 23, 2021, 06:51:29 PM »
" We should forgive student loans for a ton of reasons.  If you'd like me to go over them for you, I can, but your mind on the matter seems pretty made up, so why bother? "

why doesn't this surprise me?  everyone get's a trophy, enyn'a?

6 of 10

Everyone gets a trophy was created by the baby boomer generation for their kids.  Baby boomers are arguably the worst generation of Americans.  Left the world a worse place and still complain all the time
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2086 on: December 23, 2021, 07:27:58 PM »
6 of 10

Everyone gets a trophy was created by the baby boomer generation for their kids.  Baby boomers are arguably the worst generation of Americans.  Left the world a worse place and still complain all the time

The best thing about boomers is how they climbed the ladder of success using a perfect storm of global economic advantages plus government programs/assistance and then burned all the rungs behind them so no one else had a chance

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2087 on: December 23, 2021, 07:42:04 PM »
The best thing about boomers is how they climbed the ladder of success using a perfect storm of global economic advantages plus government programs/assistance and then burned all the rungs behind them so no one else had a chance

::) ::)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2088 on: December 23, 2021, 08:45:53 PM »
6 of 10

that's what you got out of that?  another zero for the 0 and no trophy for uncle leeko

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2089 on: December 23, 2021, 08:49:21 PM »

Honestly, I don't care if the loans went to rent and food.  Especially if they're the government backed loans.  Private loans I could be talked into them being different.

So when I took out loans to study for 4 weeks but spend 7 weeks for a summer in Europe that would be forgiven under your policies because college is “overpriced.”

Can I get my mortgage forgiven too? Think of the spending I could do if I didn’t have that $2k/month payment. I mean, property here is outrageously overpriced so forgive my mortgage.

I’m for partial forgiveness if it’s earned, like PSLF. But, that’s not what millennials and Gen Z believe in: having to earn something. They got what they wanted and now don’t want to pay for it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2090 on: December 23, 2021, 10:30:38 PM »

An undergrad student can only take out a maximum of $57,500 over four years in federal loans, $23,000 which are subsidized (no interest building up while in school). Those are the first ones a student gets too. Anyone claiming to be over $100k in debt is loading up on private loans, attending schools beyond their means, using the loans for outside expenses, or went to grad school ($68,500 in subsidized loans available), a luxury expense.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2091 on: December 24, 2021, 06:15:05 AM »
Well in that case, f*ck 'em right?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2092 on: December 24, 2021, 07:50:42 AM »
Bazillion flights getting canceled this weekend. Airlines can't staff 'em due to Covid.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2093 on: December 24, 2021, 11:33:43 AM »
An undergrad student can only take out a maximum of $57,500 over four years in federal loans, $23,000 which are subsidized (no interest building up while in school). Those are the first ones a student gets too. Anyone claiming to be over $100k in debt is loading up on private loans, attending schools beyond their means, using the loans for outside expenses, or went to grad school ($68,500 in subsidized loans available), a luxury expense.

Grad school is a luxury expense.  Unless you want to be a doctor, attorney, academic, therapist, educational administrator, business executive, dentist, speech pathologist, scientist, etc.

Or js it your contention that only the already wealthy should have access to those careers?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2094 on: December 24, 2021, 12:04:03 PM »
Grad school is a luxury expense.  Unless you want to be a doctor, attorney, academic, therapist, educational administrator, business executive, dentist, speech pathologist, scientist, etc.

Or js it your contention that only the already wealthy should have access to those careers?

Those professions have salaries commiserate with the experience and degrees needed to attain them.  Salaries that allow you to pay off the acquired debt.

That debt is very different than the undergrad who went to an expensive private school to get a bachelors degree that now pays them $30-40K a year.

Instead of trying to deal with skyrocketing tuitions and the issues there, the solution is just “all school should be free, wipe out all debts from when it wasn’t” which just seems reductive and ham handed

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2095 on: December 24, 2021, 12:34:11 PM »

Grad school is an investment with greater returns. Med School and Dental School lead to a much higher income upon graduation. That’s the reward. How many undergrad degrees result in a $150k (and higher) starting salary? My remaining loan debt is from law school, i made the choice to leave a career to invest in that degree.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 12:35:46 PM by Billy Hoyle »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2096 on: December 24, 2021, 12:45:44 PM »
Grad school is an investment with greater returns. Med School and Dental School lead to a much higher income upon graduation. That’s the reward. How many undergrad degrees result in a $150k (and higher) starting salary? My remaining loan debt is from law school, i made the choice to leave a career to invest in that degree.

The people who are the real idiots in regards to student loans are the ones that are getting liberal arts PhDs from private institutions and aren't on any sort of scholarship or fellowship. It's insane to rack up six figures in debt for a job that pays $55K a year - IF you can find a related job at all.

Awhile back, Slate presented a series of sob stories of these types of folks - and they got flamed in the comments.

https://slate.com/business/2020/07/debt-nation-the-faces-of-americas-student-loan-crisis.html
Have some patience, FFS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2097 on: December 24, 2021, 01:21:51 PM »
The people who are the real idiots in regards to student loans are the ones that are getting liberal arts PhDs from private institutions and aren't on any sort of scholarship or fellowship. It's insane to rack up six figures in debt for a job that pays $55K a year - IF you can find a related job at all.

Awhile back, Slate presented a series of sob stories of these types of folks - and they got flamed in the comments.

https://slate.com/business/2020/07/debt-nation-the-faces-of-americas-student-loan-crisis.html

Humanities programs account for less than 5 percent of all advanced degrees awarded.

https://www.amacad.org/humanities-indicators/higher-education/humanities-share-all-advanced-degrees-conferred

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2098 on: December 25, 2021, 12:00:50 PM »
So when I took out loans to study for 4 weeks but spend 7 weeks for a summer in Europe that would be forgiven under your policies because college is “overpriced.”

Can I get my mortgage forgiven too? Think of the spending I could do if I didn’t have that $2k/month payment. I mean, property here is outrageously overpriced so forgive my mortgage.

I’m for partial forgiveness if it’s earned, like PSLF. But, that’s not what millennials and Gen Z believe in: having to earn something. They got what they wanted and now don’t want to pay for it.

There are so many strawmen here you've created an army

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2099 on: December 25, 2021, 12:03:03 PM »
Humanities programs account for less than 5 percent of all advanced degrees awarded.

https://www.amacad.org/humanities-indicators/higher-education/humanities-share-all-advanced-degrees-conferred

But it makes for a great story.

feedback