collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230445 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #1750 on: September 14, 2021, 02:41:15 PM »

I do wonder if this will jumpstart the move to the flat price/no tipping movement.  Its not really something that individual restaurants were able to experiment with.  Most of the test case/transitioned places I knew of were restaurant groups that had economies of scale and ways to shift cost changes around.  But now with restaurants re-opening or popping up in the place of spots that closed during the pandemic, might be a fresh slate to try.

You know who would really hate the elimination of tipping?  Most servers.

If you are a good server in a decent, moderately busy restaurant, you make way more in tips than most restaurants would be willing to pay you.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1751 on: September 14, 2021, 02:43:47 PM »
There are a decent number of people that have no desire to return to the traditional labor pool (especially for minimum wage) when they can make the same or more in the gig economy.

I'm not yet convinced that many people doing gig jobs have yet realized that they'll need to pay taxes on that income.  Getting 1099 income is great, until you realize they government still wants their cut and you haven't paid a dime.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1752 on: September 14, 2021, 02:52:01 PM »
Gig workers are terrible for everyone except the companies that use them

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1753 on: September 14, 2021, 10:19:57 PM »
You just called grocery stores "cruddy jobs".  I wasn't just talking restaurants, I meant service/retail in general.

For example ...

From the Charlotte Observer:

Amazon is hiring more than 3,500 people in the Charlotte region as the company adds new facilities. Pay starts at $15 an hour plus benefits for full-time employees, including career programs and training.

The company is also offering sign-on bonuses of up to $1,000 at some Charlotte locations, as reported by the Observer’s Catherine Muccigrosso.

Full-time and part-time employees are sought in logistics as the company expands in Charlotte, the company said in a news release Tuesday.

Maybe some would find this to be a cruddy job, too. But it's an option, with benefits.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1754 on: September 15, 2021, 08:04:38 AM »
For example ...

From the Charlotte Observer:

Amazon is hiring more than 3,500 people in the Charlotte region as the company adds new facilities. Pay starts at $15 an hour plus benefits for full-time employees, including career programs and training.

The company is also offering sign-on bonuses of up to $1,000 at some Charlotte locations, as reported by the Observer’s Catherine Muccigrosso.

Full-time and part-time employees are sought in logistics as the company expands in Charlotte, the company said in a news release Tuesday.

Maybe some would find this to be a cruddy job, too. But it's an option, with benefits.

Quadgraphics in Hartford Wisconsin is advertising on the radio and on billboards in the area.  Full benefits, $17.50 - $33 per hour, $2K signing bonus.  That's enough to be able to buy a home in that area.  There are quite a number of other employers in the area offering similar compensation packages. No one who is unemployed around there is getting much sympathy.

The situation reminds me of the Marquette parents who complain that while their kid qualified for work study, they have been told by their student that they can't find a job anywhere on campus.

Oh, there are plenty of jobs just not too many where you can work whatever schedule you want, and can sit at a desk and do your homework.  LIMO and food service are always hiring.

Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1755 on: September 15, 2021, 08:28:33 AM »
Quadgraphics in Hartford Wisconsin is advertising on the radio and on billboards in the area.  Full benefits, $17.50 - $33 per hour, $2K signing bonus.  That's enough to be able to buy a home in that area.  There are quite a number of other employers in the area offering similar compensation packages. No one who is unemployed around there is getting much sympathy.

The situation reminds me of the Marquette parents who complain that while their kid qualified for work study, they have been told by their student that they can't find a job anywhere on campus.

Oh, there are plenty of jobs just not too many where you can work whatever schedule you want, and can sit at a desk and do your homework.  LIMO and food service are always hiring.

If it sounded like I was giving "sympathy" to those unemployed where good-paying jobs are plentiful, that was not my intention.

I'm saying that a significant number of those who became unemployed during the pandemic have decided to stay that way even after unemployment benefits ended -- something that happened in about half the states a couple months ago. I'm saying that study after study have shown that the "lazy Americans getting fat on unemployment benefits" narrative that some pushed was false. And if anything, your anecdote supports that the narrative is false.

On the other end of the spectrum ...

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/article254236368.html?

School bus driver is one of the jobs that makes you wonder about what we value. The hours are tough, the responsibility is great and the pay is poor.

Now this essential job is among the many that are hard to fill during the pandemic. A lack of school bus drivers is a problem across North Carolina and the nation.

Last week, the North Carolina Association of Educators held a news conference with Wake County school bus drivers. The NCAE wants the legislature to increase pay for bus drivers. The state pays the drivers $12.75 an hour. Larger school districts supplement the wage, but many districts still pay less than $15 an hour.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1756 on: September 15, 2021, 08:33:52 AM »
If it sounded like I was giving "sympathy" to those unemployed where good-paying jobs are plentiful, that was not my intention.

I'm saying that a significant number of those who became unemployed during the pandemic have decided to stay that way even after unemployment benefits ended -- something that happened in about half the states a couple months ago. I'm saying that study after study have shown that the "lazy Americans getting fat on unemployment benefits" narrative that some pushed was false. And if anything, your anecdote supports that the narrative is false.

On the other end of the spectrum ...

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/article254236368.html?

School bus driver is one of the jobs that makes you wonder about what we value. The hours are tough, the responsibility is great and the pay is poor.

Now this essential job is among the many that are hard to fill during the pandemic. A lack of school bus drivers is a problem across North Carolina and the nation.

Last week, the North Carolina Association of Educators held a news conference with Wake County school bus drivers. The NCAE wants the legislature to increase pay for bus drivers. The state pays the drivers $12.75 an hour. Larger school districts supplement the wage, but many districts still pay less than $15 an hour.

The school district by me pays $23 an hour (starting) and will pay for training and licensure.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1757 on: September 15, 2021, 09:13:41 AM »
Hospitality jobs are down because of the changes in market conditions.

Table service? Pulled back business travel (many restaurants now closed M-W), limited party sizes (good bye big tips), no/limited capacity, delayed weddings, cancelled life event gatherings, limited concert/sports events, masks in bars. Unreliable hours. The shift from table service to counter and take-out, and the major shift delivery means tips are going elsewhere and many long-time fine dining restaurants just have decided to give it up and not change their business model.

Add in risk of COVID exposure, staff and menu shortages, and a sometimes hostile workplace as a result. The ability to earn tips has been severely reduced so they have found new jobs or made the decision it's not worth their time. The math is easy, the politicians and press are clueless.

I stayed downtown a few nights this past week. I checked in remotely, poured my own beers in the lobby bar self-pour machine, had no maid service, ordered a Door Dash pizza, and self-parked using my card. I didn't see a single Hilton employee in three days except at the breakfast buffet where the preparer was restocking the scrambled egg tray for the morning masses.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1758 on: September 15, 2021, 09:37:18 AM »

Table service? Pulled back business travel (many restaurants now closed M-W), limited party sizes (good bye big tips), no/limited capacity, delayed weddings, cancelled life event gatherings, limited concert/sports events, masks in bars. Unreliable hours. The shift from table service to counter and take-out, and the major shift delivery means tips are going elsewhere and many long-time fine dining restaurants just have decided to give it up and not change their business model.

Add in risk of COVID exposure, staff and menu shortages, and a sometimes hostile workplace as a result. The ability to earn tips has been severely reduced so they have found new jobs or made the decision it's not worth their time. The math is easy, the politicians and press are clueless.

I stayed downtown a few nights this past week. I checked in remotely, poured my own beers in the lobby bar self-pour machine, had no maid service, ordered a Door Dash pizza, and self-parked using my card. I didn't see a single Hilton employee in three days except at the breakfast buffet where the preparer was restocking the scrambled egg tray for the morning masses.

No maid service for 3 days?
Have some patience, FFS.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1759 on: September 15, 2021, 09:41:45 AM »
I'd be cool with it if tipping culture were a casualty of COVID.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1760 on: September 15, 2021, 10:24:17 AM »
No maid service for 3 days?

I stayed at a Marriott property a month or two ago and it was basically housekeeping at request, not a standard turnover.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1761 on: September 15, 2021, 10:33:04 AM »
Ditto.  I just needed a couple of towels and put my trash out once.  I can make my own bed and don't make too much of a mess in the bathroom.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1762 on: September 15, 2021, 11:06:18 AM »
I stayed in downtown Chicago this weekend. Car was parked by valet, checked in at the front desk with a person, maids cleaned my room and had table service at every bar/restaurant I visited.
YMMV.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1763 on: September 15, 2021, 11:14:14 AM »
Will be interesting to see if this is good for Fox News' business:

The company has agreed to abide by Biden's vaccine mandate. The White House even praised them for it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1764 on: September 15, 2021, 11:30:59 AM »
I stayed at a Marriott property a month or two ago and it was basically housekeeping at request, not a standard turnover.

I actually kind of would prefer this model. Maybe have a linen closet on each floor where you can deposit old towels and grab fresh ones when needed.

Then maybe be able to hang a door ticket if you want a full clean/or simply schedule one with the front desk.

Infinitely easier and more convenient than current models.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1765 on: September 15, 2021, 12:03:07 PM »
Will be interesting to see if this is good for Fox News' business:

The company has agreed to abide by Biden's vaccine mandate. The White House even praised them for it.

They agreed because they had already done it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1766 on: September 15, 2021, 02:42:30 PM »

My Hilton Garden Inn - DT Detroit, the restaurant was closed because not enough staff.  They were handing out breakfast in a box as a replacement.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1767 on: September 15, 2021, 04:57:23 PM »
I actually kind of would prefer this model. Maybe have a linen closet on each floor where you can deposit old towels and grab fresh ones when needed.

Then maybe be able to hang a door ticket if you want a full clean/or simply schedule one with the front desk.

Infinitely easier and more convenient than current models.

I have no interest in that.  I'm staying at a hotel, not a hostel.  I doubt there would be any sort of reduction in cost or equivalent services to make up for such a change, so that doesn't interest me.

However, Ive stayed at a number of hotels in Asia with a housekeeping light.  Basically you flip a switch inside your room by the door that turns on an indicator if you'd like maid service.  I'm fine with that or an equivalent request made by app or TV menu.  People's preferences may vary, but part of a hotel stay for me is service and amenities, not just a room with a bed.  I don't need Four Seasons, but skeleton service or reduced service Ive experienced during COVID blows.  Like getting Basic Economy functions on a flight while paying for a normal Economy seat.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1768 on: September 15, 2021, 05:32:48 PM »
My Hilton Garden Inn - DT Detroit, the restaurant was closed because not enough staff.  They were handing out breakfast in a box as a replacement.

I have been to several hotels that handed out breakfast in a paper bag because of Covid.
Have some patience, FFS.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1769 on: September 15, 2021, 05:38:55 PM »
I have been to several hotels that handed out breakfast in a paper bag because of Covid.
Cardboard box breakfast for me

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1770 on: September 15, 2021, 10:36:24 PM »
I have no interest in that.  I'm staying at a hotel, not a hostel.  I doubt there would be any sort of reduction in cost or equivalent services to make up for such a change, so that doesn't interest me.

However, Ive stayed at a number of hotels in Asia with a housekeeping light.  Basically you flip a switch inside your room by the door that turns on an indicator if you'd like maid service.  I'm fine with that or an equivalent request made by app or TV menu.  People's preferences may vary, but part of a hotel stay for me is service and amenities, not just a room with a bed.  I don't need Four Seasons, but skeleton service or reduced service Ive experienced during COVID blows.  Like getting Basic Economy functions on a flight while paying for a normal Economy seat.

Me too. I want my service when I'm away from home. Period.

What I really HATE is the number of businesses who are cutting costs and blaming Covid-19. Most of them are just plain cheap. Case in point: United Airlines. Their onboard service has reached new lows. The airline says it is Covid. I say it's Commander Scott looking for margin.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1771 on: September 16, 2021, 05:08:25 AM »
I stayed in downtown Chicago this weekend. Car was parked by valet, checked in at the front desk with a person, maids cleaned my room and had table service at every bar/restaurant I visited.
YMMV.

Superspreader!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1772 on: September 16, 2021, 09:41:12 PM »
This is one of our favorite local restaurants. The owner is great and the staff is wonderful. Great food, too.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-food-drink/article254282443.html?

Starting next week, the Loyalist Market is raising prices on its prepared food by $1 per item. But higher food costs aren’t to blame — the money is going to straight to its staff.

Founder Christopher Sottile announced the Matthews market and restaurant’s first ever across-the-board price increase in a video on Instagram, saying: “I feel very confident that as you learn more about the why about what we’re doing, not only will you appreciate what I’m trying to accomplish, but you’ll be willing to back it because of the reasons for it.”

Full time employees at the market known for high-end cheeses and meats make $15/hour. But that “pretty much scrapes the bottom of what a true living wage means,” Sottile said. “Our people deserve more.”

My wife and I already have decided that we're going there next week, and we will happily pay a little more. We're big tippers, too!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1773 on: September 20, 2021, 08:04:15 AM »
Here's one major reason for the worker shortage ...

‘The pay is absolute crap’: Child-care workers are quitting rapidly, a red flag for the economy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/09/19/childcare-workers-quit/?utm_campaign=wp_the7&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_the7&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F34bb31a%2F61486f859d2fda9d41d8c309%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F12%2F41%2F61486f859d2fda9d41d8c309

Hiring and retaining good workers has been tough in the child-care industry for years, but it is escalating into a crisis. Pandemic-fueled staffing challenges threaten to hold back the recovery, as the staffing problems at day cares have a ripple effect across the economy. Without enough employees, day cares are turning away children, leaving parents — especially mothers — unable to return to work.

Nearly 1.6 million moms of children under 17 are still missing from the labor force. They dropped out during the pandemic to care for children and have not been able to return to work as the school and day care situation remains chaotic, especially for unvaccinated children under the age of 12. There are still covid outbreaks occurring at schools, and some child-care centers and after-school programs remain closed or they are accepting fewer children.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1774 on: September 20, 2021, 08:13:23 AM »
Obviously
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback