[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230516 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #1625 on: August 11, 2021, 11:03:30 AM »
First office duece in 18 months.  🤘🤘🤘

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1626 on: August 11, 2021, 11:48:11 AM »
First office duece in 18 months.  🤘🤘🤘

Road wins aren't always easy. Proud of you, bro!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1627 on: August 11, 2021, 06:21:36 PM »
Why exactly should remote employees be exempt from ANY corporate policy?

Pants.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1628 on: August 13, 2021, 05:49:10 PM »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1629 on: August 14, 2021, 08:44:38 AM »
We book containers and export all the time. As 2022 has gone on, it's gotten harder to make a booking, longer leadtime for delivery and receipt and more expensive.  And after you book a date, it usually gets delayed a few days to a week.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1630 on: August 20, 2021, 08:30:12 AM »
Cutting off jobless benefits early may have hurt state economies

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/business/economy/unemployment-benefits-economy-states.html?campaign_id=4&emc=edit_dk_20210820&instance_id=38383&nl=dealbook&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=66768&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

When states began cutting off federal unemployment benefits this summer, their governors argued that the move would push people to return to work.

New research suggests that ending the benefits did indeed lead some people to get jobs, but that far more people did not, leaving them — and perhaps also their states’ economies — worse off.

A total of 26 states, all but one with Republican governors, have moved to end the expanded unemployment benefits that have been in place since the pandemic began. Many business owners blame the benefits for discouraging people from returning to work, while supporters argue they have provided a lifeline to people who lost jobs in the pandemic.

Cutting off the benefits left unemployed workers worse off on average. The researchers estimate that workers lost an average of $278 a week in benefits because of the change, and gained just $14 a week in earnings (not $14 an hour, as previously reported here). They compensated by cutting spending by $145 a week — a roughly 20 percent reduction — and thus put less money into their local economies.

For those who reject information in the NYT just because it's in the NYT, here's the actual study (for which there also is a link in the second paragraph of the NYT article):

https://files.michaelstepner.com/pandemicUIexpiration-paper.pdf

From the study:

How did the policy affect income and spending? As Figure 5 shows, UI benefits fell by $278/week
by early August. We see a small (but precisely estimated) rise in earnings of $14/week, making up
around 5 percent of the shortfall from benefit decline. The reduced income was accompanied by
a $145/week (20 percent) fall in spending.

As has been stated many times, unemployment benefits are one of the best ways to help local and national economies. The vast majority of those who receive benefits do not stash them away in brokerage accounts. The vast majority spend that money on food, shelter, clothing, wifi capability, items for children such as diapers and formula, etc. Even those who spend on "luxury" items like cellphones, toys for kids, etc, are putting the money back into the economy.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1631 on: August 20, 2021, 09:00:12 AM »
I would argue that while jobless benefits certainly have good, short-term economy c benefits, enhanced benefits long-term aren’t great. I mean, if you are just going to talk about the spending that resulted, we may as well just have a universal income policy. But that’s not a good idea either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1632 on: August 20, 2021, 09:43:05 AM »
I would argue that while jobless benefits certainly have good, short-term economy c benefits, enhanced benefits long-term aren’t great. I mean, if you are just going to talk about the spending that resulted, we may as well just have a universal income policy. But that’s not a good idea either.

OT, but I'd like to hear why you don't like the idea of ubi

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1633 on: August 20, 2021, 09:48:39 AM »
OT, but I'd like to hear why you don't like the idea of ubi

Because anything like that should be targeted like the child tax credits, or post-secondary education grants, etc. The “universal” isn’t really needed.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:53:35 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1634 on: August 20, 2021, 10:19:54 AM »

Because anything like that should be targeted like the child tax credits, or post-secondary education grants, etc. The “universal” isn’t really needed.

I think he understands that was the point you were making, he is probably looking for the 'why' you feel that way.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1635 on: August 27, 2021, 08:11:30 AM »
As predicted eviction moratorium extension put in place by CDC not exactly constitutionally up to snuff.

Tough week for Uncle Joe.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1636 on: August 27, 2021, 08:27:53 AM »
Hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1637 on: August 27, 2021, 08:32:42 AM »
As predicted eviction moratorium extension put in place by CDC not exactly constitutionally up to snuff.

Tough week for Uncle Joe.

1. It was the correct ruling, unfortunately.
2. Being giddy over the fact that hundreds of thousands of your fellow Americans could now lose their homes because you think it's a political victory is kind of gross.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1638 on: August 27, 2021, 09:11:50 AM »
Hey?

His reaction after reading one of Chico’s posts.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1639 on: August 27, 2021, 11:03:32 AM »
1. It was the correct ruling, unfortunately.
2. Being giddy over the fact that hundreds of thousands of your fellow Americans could now lose their homes because you think it's a political victory is kind of gross.

1) Being disappointed that 10s of thousands of everyday Americans who own 1 or 2 rental properties aren’t going to go bankrupt/foreclose on their properties is pretty shameful Pakuni.  Not every landlord is Warren Buffet.

2) Get vaccinated, get back to work and hold up your end of the bargain to the rental agreement you signed.  It’s a big bad world out there and life isn’t always fair.

3) Washington is broken.  This problem didn’t show up overnight and Congress has had ample time to hash out a solution.  They’re all useless.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1640 on: August 27, 2021, 04:38:20 PM »
I have a client who currently owns his landlord close to $75K in back rent.  He has plenty of money but is rather smug about the fact that he’d rather invest the money in a hot market and worry about paying it later.

I understood it at the time but the moratorium has gone too long

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1641 on: August 27, 2021, 06:37:27 PM »
Local governments need to do a better job of distributing the money the feds made available to them to help both renters and landlords.

There are tens of billions of dollars still available.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1642 on: August 27, 2021, 07:39:35 PM »
I have a client who currently owns his landlord close to $75K in back rent.  He has plenty of money but is rather smug about the fact that he’d rather invest the money in a hot market and worry about paying it later.

Sorry, but your client is a complete sh!t and is everything that is wrong with people in this country

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1643 on: August 27, 2021, 07:53:36 PM »
Sorry, but your client is a complete sh!t and is everything that is wrong with people in this country

FWIW, I was saying I understood the moratorium when it began. 

And I have no love for the dude, he’s an a**. Kind of dude that needs to be pestered and prodded to pay every invoice that is always overdue despite wearing a $50K Rolex

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1644 on: August 27, 2021, 08:00:12 PM »
FWIW, I was saying I understood the moratorium when it began. 

And I have no love for the dude, he’s an a**. Kind of dude that needs to be pestered and prodded to pay every invoice that is always overdue despite wearing a $50K Rolex
Yeah I didn’t read your comment correctly. He is definitely an a**.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1645 on: August 27, 2021, 08:19:49 PM »

Seems like the kind of client who I would be weary of doing business with.

MU82

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: August 28, 2021, 08:11:25 AM »
Seems like the kind of client who I would be weary of doing business with.

Weary or wary?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1648 on: August 28, 2021, 08:53:37 AM »
A bunch of states cut off unemployment benefits deciding, as some here have, the cause of labor shortages was too many lazy people feeding off the government trough instead of going to work.
It appears they were wrong.

In all, 26 states have cut off some or all of the pandemic-era unemployment aid before the federal expiration to combat rising concerns over labor shortages. But the early terminations have not had their intended effect.
There is a “zero correlation” between state-level employment growth in July and the timing of the early cancellation of the benefits, according to an analysis by JPMorgan. Similarly, there’s no difference in earnings growth or labor force participation in states that unenrolled from the programs early and those that didn’t.

https://www.yahoo.com/money/workers-sue-states-over-misguided-labor-policy-151938928.html

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1649 on: August 28, 2021, 10:28:40 AM »
Weary or wary?

Weary is actually spot on, typo or not.  As for wary, probably, but unfortunately, in my industry, if I was wary of working with everyone that most businesses/industries would have big red flags with…I wouldn’t have many customers