collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230417 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #450 on: October 26, 2020, 07:35:30 AM »
The problem is, I don't think the average American is aware of the long-term impacts of all of this. Rather, they take a very short-term perspective on it all.

I don't think that they understand that current economic conditions (unless something major like COVID), is a result of years old policies. And that current decisions, will impact the economy for the next 5-10 years.

Yeah debt can be managed if the economy is doing well. 

But everything that is bad about the U.S. economic system is being exposed through this pandemic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #451 on: October 26, 2020, 09:23:19 PM »
Senate adjourned until Nov. 9
Guessing that means no relief package until 2021.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #452 on: October 26, 2020, 09:44:23 PM »
Senate adjourned until Nov. 9
Guessing that means no relief package until 2021.

The Congress doesn't give a unnatural carnal knowledge about regular Americans. They really, truly don't. Monied interests - military industrial complex, big pharma/health, global corporations and wall street - are the only ones who have influence.

And if everyone is going to vote for one of the 2 main candidates anyway, why should they?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #453 on: October 26, 2020, 10:03:41 PM »
The Congress doesn't give a unnatural carnal knowledge about regular Americans. They really, truly don't. Monied interests - military industrial complex, big pharma/health, global corporations and wall street - are the only ones who have influence.

And if everyone is going to vote for one of the 2 main candidates anyway, why should they?

Agree with the first paragraph. Politics as usual.

With regard to the second paragraph, not everybody is going to vote for one of the two main candidates. I saw a Kanye for President sign on my walk this evening, so at least one person is apparently voting for him.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #454 on: October 26, 2020, 10:07:31 PM »

Agree with the first paragraph. Politics as usual.

With regard to the second paragraph, not everybody is going to vote for one of the two main candidates. I saw a Kanye for President sign on my walk this evening, so at least one person is apparently voting for him.

Ya. But you know what I mean.

Neither party truly has to work for their votes. For example, what is either candidate offering in terms of policy for the majority of the country? Biden told wealthy donors that nothing would fundamentally change. And the DNC had GOPers speak at their convention and are being considered for cabinet positions. Trump/GOP is no better as evidenced by the tax cuts they passed.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:15:28 PM by jesmu84 »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #455 on: October 27, 2020, 08:39:19 AM »

Neither party truly has to work for their votes. For example, what is either candidate offering in terms of policy for the majority of the country? Biden told wealthy donors that nothing would fundamentally change. And the DNC had GOPers speak at their convention and are being considered for cabinet positions. Trump/GOP is no better as evidenced by the tax cuts they passed.

I would take some of that with a grain of salt.

Candidates will tell different target voter demographics different things in order to win. I can assure you Biden isn't telling wealthy progressive donors that nothing will fundamentally change.

I can also assure you that Biden will receive enormous pressure to move to the middle left on some issues and he will. He won't on some others. But thr net result is improvement. Example: The Environment etc... In order to win, one target demographic is moderates, Independent, Republican, Democrat. Biden wants their votes to win. So he will balance a genuine message with not turning off these voters. The strategy also includes being more progressive with some other issues. But they choose the best path to win. Once in power, that's much different. Example below:

For example, I'd be very surprised if the Supreme Court didn't expand to 13 in the near future. In 1869, the Supreme Court expanded from 7 to 9 to match the number of Federal Circuits. There are now 13 Federal Circuits. And it would be 100% justified after being put in that position. Biden isn't going to shout this from the rooftops prior to the election. It is never good to answer hypothetical questions. Winning the election is his priority. Governing comes after. Waiting to see what happened last night first.

With regard to COVID-19 Economy, the House passed a 2nd round of relief many, months ago. That relief would finally arrive to people if the make up of the Senate changes. Voting matters. If you don't choose from the two, things will stay the same.

Prioritizing the Pandemic, and with it economic recovery for many would happen with one of the two Presidential candidates and one of the two candidates in other Senate and House races.

Not choosing one of the two would keep things as they are if that is what you or others want.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #456 on: October 27, 2020, 09:21:14 AM »

Biden actually told a group of wealthy donors that he was raising their taxes. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #457 on: October 27, 2020, 11:00:53 AM »

Candidates will tell different target voter demographics different things in order to win. I can assure you Biden isn't telling wealthy progressive donors that nothing will fundamentally change.

I can also assure you that Biden will receive enormous pressure to move to the middle left on some issues and he will. He won't on some others. But thr net result is improvement. Example: The Environment etc... In order to win, one target demographic is moderates, Independent, Republican, Democrat. Biden wants their votes to win. So he will balance a genuine message with not turning off these voters. The strategy also includes being more progressive with some other issues. But they choose the best path to win. Once in power, that's much different. Example below:

For example, I'd be very surprised if the Supreme Court didn't expand to 13 in the near future. In 1869, the Supreme Court expanded from 7 to 9 to match the number of Federal Circuits. There are now 13 Federal Circuits. And it would be 100% justified after being put in that position. Biden isn't going to shout this from the rooftops prior to the election. It is never good to answer hypothetical questions. Winning the election is his priority. Governing comes after. Waiting to see what happened last night first.

With regard to COVID-19 Economy, the House passed a 2nd round of relief many, months ago. That relief would finally arrive to people if the make up of the Senate changes. Voting matters. If you don't choose from the two, things will stay the same.

Prioritizing the Pandemic, and with it economic recovery for many would happen with one of the two Presidential candidates and one of the two candidates in other Senate and House races.

Not choosing one of the two would keep things as they are if that is what you or others want.

Oh, honey.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #458 on: October 27, 2020, 01:21:14 PM »

Since the nomination, can you direct me to a source that demonstrates Biden's progressive/left priorities/policies?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #459 on: October 27, 2020, 01:40:40 PM »
Since the nomination, can you direct me to a source that demonstrates Biden's progressive/left priorities/policies?

Change your comment to: "Since the inauguration" because he hasn't won yet.

And many of these things are not radically progressive, and are popular with the majority of Americans. 

The Biden campaign has calculated what it will take to win the election. There is a heavier focus on the votes of Moderate/Centrist Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. In order to win the Biden campaign believes it needs to be more successful with the above demographic. Floating the possibility of Republican Cabinet names was intentional in order to get votes. There is a calculation from within the Biden Campaign that they need to do these types of things in order to win. That approach to them would be more successful than listing many progressive agenda items.  That is their strategy. We'll see if it works. (Increasing voter turnout, especially Black, other minority and elderly votes have also been a targeted strategy. Right now some predictions are for roughly 66% voter turnout vs 62% in 2008.)

Trump for example campaigned on all kinds of things in order to win and he has done virtually none of them as President. Now, Biden of course is a different person. He is of course a Moderate, Centrist, even Conservative Democrat if you will on quite a few things.

Some things will happen quickly with a Dem across the board, House, Senate, Presidency, such as removing the Filibuster, re-instating voting rights act, Climate Change, Healthcare protection, COVID-19, pioritizing managing the Pandemic, from health to economy etc...

Biden isn't going to say publicly that he will expand The Supreme Court. But do I believe he will eventually do it? I believe there is a good chance, yes. And that would not necessarily be considered super progressive, but it is an example of Biden doing something that as an individual he would prefer to not have to do. He has even said it isn't something he prefers. But he has not said he wouldn't do it. It won't be the first thing he does, but yes I do believe it will happen eventually. Longer term items include the abolition of the Electoral College reforming the tax code, etc...

Biden isn't all of a sudden going to turn into a progressive as many Presidents are Centrists. However, there are many things that can be accomplished with the above mentioned alignment that would never happen otherwise. for example, Biden isn't Medicare for All or Green New Deal, but he would work with those for them and improve these categories. If you cannot find value in that, not sure what else I can say.

We literally can't send a $1200 dollar or more check to Americans who need it right now. look at where we are and where we are headed. Yes it can always get worse. So yes voting matters, and choosing one of the two matters vs writing in someone else.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 01:56:37 PM by shoothoops »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #460 on: October 27, 2020, 02:19:45 PM »

And many of these things are not radically progressive, and are popular with the majority of Americans. 

The Biden campaign has calculated what it will take to win the election. There is a heavier focus on the votes of Moderate/Centrist Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. In order to win the Biden campaign believes it needs to be more successful with the above demographic. Floating the possibility of Republican Cabinet names was intentional in order to get votes. There is a calculation from within the Biden Campaign that they need to do these types of things in order to win. That approach to them would be more successful than listing many progressive agenda items.  That is their strategy. We'll see if it works. (Increasing voter turnout, especially Black, other minority and elderly votes have also been a targeted strategy. Right now some predictions are for roughly 66% voter turnout vs 62% in 2008.)

Trump for example campaigned on all kinds of things in order to win and he has done virtually none of them as President. Now, Biden of course is a different person. He is of course a Moderate, Centrist, even Conservative Democrat if you will on quite a few things.

Some things will happen quickly with a Dem across the board, House, Senate, Presidency, such as removing the Filibuster, re-instating voting rights act, Climate Change, Healthcare protection, COVID-19, pioritizing managing the Pandemic, from health to economy etc...

Biden isn't going to say publicly that he will expand The Supreme Court. But do I believe he will eventually do it? I believe there is a good chance, yes. And that would not necessarily be considered super progressive, but it is an example of Biden doing something that as an individual he would prefer to not have to do. He has even said it isn't something he prefers. But he has not said he wouldn't do it. It won't be the first thing he does, but yes I do believe it will happen eventually. Longer term items include the abolition of the Electoral College reforming the tax code, etc...

Biden isn't all of a sudden going to turn into a progressive as many Presidents are Centrists. However, there are many things that can be accomplished with the above mentioned alignment that would never happen otherwise. for example, Biden isn't Medicare for All or Green New Deal, but he would work with those for them and improve these categories. If you cannot find value in that, not sure what else I can say.

We literally can't send a $1200 dollar or more check to Americans who need it right now. look at where we are and where we are headed. Yes it can always get worse. So yes voting matters, and choosing one of the two matters vs writing in someone else.

Biden himself has said he's been reading a lot of books lately on FDR's first 100 days and believes he needs to do the same to correct course and undo the damage caused by the pandemic & Trump.     
Make of that what you will.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #461 on: October 27, 2020, 02:42:20 PM »
Biden himself has said he's been reading a lot of books lately on FDR's first 100 days and believes he needs to do the same to correct course and undo the damage caused by the pandemic & Trump.     

So that's what he's been doing in the basement!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #462 on: October 27, 2020, 02:50:13 PM »
So that's what he's been doing in the basement!

Is Bunker Boy really trying to redirect the criticism by saying something about Biden being in a basement? That's pretty funny.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #463 on: October 27, 2020, 03:15:10 PM »
So...covid economy guys...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #464 on: October 27, 2020, 03:24:30 PM »
Economy can't be fixed until the virus starts to be controlled.    You thought it was a mess in the spring?    Just wait a few more weeks.  See what happens to the economy when there is a 100k new cases and 1000 deaths per day.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #465 on: October 27, 2020, 03:27:48 PM »
Economy can't be fixed until the virus starts to be controlled.    You thought it was a mess in the spring?    Just wait a few more weeks.  See what happens to the economy when there is a 100k new cases and 1000 deaths per day.

Haven't you heard?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #466 on: October 27, 2020, 03:36:33 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #467 on: October 27, 2020, 03:50:42 PM »

I meant since he won the Dem nomination/primary.

I truly appreciate you putting out your perspective.

I'm a bit more cynical based on his history of policy and voting in the Senate

Kamala has a progressive history. But she has as much history flip flopping on things, so who knows.

Anyway, it's a sad election. Trump vs not-Trump.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #468 on: October 27, 2020, 03:53:53 PM »

Kamala has a progressive history. But she has as much history flip flopping on things, so who knows.

It gets sadder when you realize that the presidents from 92-2000 2000-08 and 08-16 are all still younger than these two options.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #469 on: October 27, 2020, 04:04:22 PM »
It gets sadder when you realize that the presidents from 92-2000 2000-08 and 08-16 are all still younger than these two options.

Good lord.  That's incredible.

I mean, Trump is only a couple months older than WJC and GWB, but still those two haven't been president for 20 and 12 years.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #471 on: October 27, 2020, 07:57:48 PM »

Biden has proved to be a lifelong institutionalist and corporatist.

FDR was a social Democrat.

I hope, but don't expect, for any serious progressive legislation or plan.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #472 on: October 27, 2020, 07:59:49 PM »
Biden actually told a group of wealthy donors that he was raising their taxes.

Contrast that with the other candidate, who showed up to a fundraiser knowing he was infected with a highly contagious virus that he himself called "more deadly than even your strenuous flus" -- and he didn't tell them he had it. Nor did he tell anybody to wear masks or social distance.

One candidate has done nothing but lie and hold super-spreader events. The other is Joe Biden.

As the very conservative New Hampshire Union Leader said: "Joe Biden may not be the president we want, but in 2020 he is the president we desperately need. He will be a president to bring people together and right the ship of state."

Edits to add link: https://www.unionleader.com/opinion/editorials/our-choice-is-joe-biden/article_e2053388-cc66-59f4-9e7f-8e01a1ea11df.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:53:45 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #473 on: October 27, 2020, 08:29:03 PM »
Biden has proved to be a lifelong institutionalist and corporatist.

FDR was a social Democrat.

I hope, but don't expect, for any serious progressive legislation or plan.

What specifically are you seeking? Examples?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #474 on: October 27, 2020, 09:25:03 PM »

This “Not Trump” is the perfect candidate to get people to cross the aisle.  I think the Dems got it right this time. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback