collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230612 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #325 on: September 24, 2020, 07:06:35 PM »
https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/09/23/companies-shed-workers-paid-dividends-after-getting-fed-aid-panel-finds-420537

ELI5?

There were a couple of ways that the federal government intervened to prop up businesses during the beginning of this economic downturn. The most visible way was the SBA loans that were approved by congress via the CARES act: PPP and EIDL funds. PPP and EIDL money came with acceptable use stipulations. At first you could only use PPP money for payroll, but they expanded that to match the EIDL, which is basically "any business purpose is fine."

The CARES act also authorized the Fed to buy corporate & municipal bonds. Big problem, if you care about small business, with buying corporate bonds is that they're only issued by very large up to gigantic corporations. Another big problem with stimulating businesses that way: There are no stipulations if you took the Fed's money.

So... to heck with it. You are running a giant corp, and your success metrics determine your compensation. It is absolutely in your best interest to issue a ton of debt at an ultra low rate to raise a bunch of money. The private market will buy because it's backstopped by the federal gov't now. Then you cut operating costs by firing as much staff as you can stomach. Boom, your stock price pops, you get your bonus, and your shareholders + BoD are happy with the job you did. Business as usual with public companies, honestly.

I'm no economist, and most of this is from memory so I'd appreciate corrections that anyone has. Here's a quote from Nate Tankus that I had to look up:

> Of course, the nature of explicit interventions are changing. Both the Corporate Credit Facilities and the Municipal Liquidity Facility have had very few purchases, but for different reasons. The Corporate Credit Facilities have provided such a strong backstop that private markets have provisioned all the liquidity qualifying corporations need. On the other hand, the Municipal Liquidity Facility is priced so unfavorably that only Chicago has entered the facility’s lone transaction. 

Edit: Looks like businesses were doing stock buybacks after having taken PPP money as well. As long as they didn't use PPP money for stock buybacks it isn't against the rules. It does mean, though, that undeserving companies took PPP money. Shocker.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 10:43:20 AM by Skatastrophy »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #326 on: September 25, 2020, 11:03:12 AM »
Much appreciated

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #327 on: September 25, 2020, 11:29:51 AM »
There were a couple of ways that the federal government intervened to prop up businesses during the beginning of this economic downturn. The most visible way was the SBA loans that were approved by congress via the CARES act: PPP and EIDL funds. PPP and EIDL money came with acceptable use stipulations. At first you could only use PPP money for payroll, but they expanded that to match the EIDL, which is basically "any business purpose is fine."

The CARES act also authorized the Fed to buy corporate & municipal bonds. Big problem, if you care about small business, with buying corporate bonds is that they're only issued by very large up to gigantic corporations. Another big problem with stimulating businesses that way: There are no stipulations if you took the Fed's money.

So... to heck with it. You are running a giant corp, and your success metrics determine your compensation. It is absolutely in your best interest to issue a ton of debt at an ultra low rate to raise a bunch of money. The private market will buy because it's backstopped by the federal gov't now. Then you cut operating costs by firing as much staff as you can stomach. Boom, your stock price pops, you get your bonus, and your shareholders + BoD are happy with the job you did. Business as usual with public companies, honestly.

I'm no economist, and most of this is from memory so I'd appreciate corrections that anyone has. Here's a quote from Nate Tankus that I had to look up:

> Of course, the nature of explicit interventions are changing. Both the Corporate Credit Facilities and the Municipal Liquidity Facility have had very few purchases, but for different reasons. The Corporate Credit Facilities have provided such a strong backstop that private markets have provisioned all the liquidity qualifying corporations need. On the other hand, the Municipal Liquidity Facility is priced so unfavorably that only Chicago has entered the facility’s lone transaction. 

Edit: Looks like businesses were doing stock buybacks after having taken PPP money as well. As long as they didn't use PPP money for stock buybacks it isn't against the rules. It does mean, though, that undeserving companies took PPP money. Shocker.

So, same thing different day, sigh. That is why the bulk money needed to go directly to the people.

And anyone that was concerned about people who took $600 unemployment, perhaps, stay with me here, the real issue is that those people are not paid enough in the first place.

Finally, the stock market is not the economy, the stock market is not the economy.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #328 on: October 01, 2020, 12:52:57 PM »
Federal Bank: Economy won't recover until virus is under control

The U.S. economy will not recover until the coronavirus is under control, said Neel Kashkari, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.

“This is not about politics -- it’s about confidence,” Kashkari said during a Wednesday webinar held by Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce, the state’s largest business association.

Kashkari’s overview of what’s ahead was not encouraging, and he called on Congress to provide more support for small businesses and people who have lost their jobs because of the pandemic.

It will be six months to a year before a vaccine is widely available, he said, and until then, people will be wary of going to restaurants, movie theaters and sporting events.

Furloughs are becoming permanent job losses, he said, and bankruptcy filings by businesses are beginning to increase.

“If thousands and thousands of businesses go bankrupt, this recovery is going to be much slower,” Kashkari said.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #329 on: October 02, 2020, 06:07:54 AM »
The president has at least three risk factors that we know about (weight, age, sex). You have to assume everyone at the debate is at risk based on what we know. 

Has there ever been this much election uncertainty?  Does this get the stimulus through?  I feel like Heisenberg. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #330 on: October 02, 2020, 09:41:46 AM »
The president has at least three risk factors that we know about (weight, age, sex). You have to assume everyone at the debate is at risk based on what we know. 

Has there ever been this much election uncertainty?  Does this get the stimulus through?  I feel like Heisenberg.

Don't forget a 4th, low-income.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #331 on: October 02, 2020, 09:51:52 AM »

If you were Heisey, you would have posted this on Hangin' at the Al.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #332 on: October 02, 2020, 09:53:18 AM »

<hat tip>
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #333 on: October 02, 2020, 12:12:45 PM »

Funniest thing I have read today.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #334 on: October 02, 2020, 12:18:35 PM »
Federal Bank: Economy won't recover until virus is under control

The U.S. economy will not recover until the coronavirus is under control, said Neel Kashkari, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.

“This is not about politics -- it’s about confidence,” Kashkari said during a Wednesday webinar held by Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce, the state’s largest business association.

Kashkari’s overview of what’s ahead was not encouraging, and he called on Congress to provide more support for small businesses and people who have lost their jobs because of the pandemic.

It will be six months to a year before a vaccine is widely available, he said, and until then, people will be wary of going to restaurants, movie theaters and sporting events.

Furloughs are becoming permanent job losses, he said, and bankruptcy filings by businesses are beginning to increase.

“If thousands and thousands of businesses go bankrupt, this recovery is going to be much slower,” Kashkari said.

my wife does small business lending and she's as busy as she's ever been. Some of her clients are scaling down (one went from two restaurants to one), others are asking for further money or extensions, others are just shutting down, either temporarily or permanently. In Portland we've lost numerous breweries recently and the restaurant industry has been devastated, especially downtown where a combination of the riots, homelessness and COVID (having) are resulting in some highly renowned restaurants are closing and other businesses sitting it out for now and not reponeing. Commerical real estate is going to take the biggest hit.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #335 on: October 06, 2020, 09:44:50 AM »
ShopperTrack projects that brick and mortar holiday traffic will be down 22-25% this year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/06/the-number-of-holiday-shoppers-at-stores-to-drop-25percent-says-shoppertrak.html

Honestly, I'm surprised the number is so low. I will try to get to a few smaller mom-and-pop places to help keep them afloat, but between Covid and the continuing rise of online shopping, I struggle to see a shopping mall or big box store in my near future. Others?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #336 on: October 06, 2020, 10:27:12 AM »
I have been to both.   Christmas shopping will probably be on line.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #337 on: October 06, 2020, 02:27:30 PM »
Trump tweets that he will no longer negotiate on a second stimulus until after the election.
His precious stock market immediately collapses.

• All American
« Reply #338 on: October 06, 2020, 02:47:00 PM »
Trump tweets that he will no longer negotiate on a second stimulus until after the election.
His precious stock market immediately collapses.

I don't understand his political calculus here.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #339 on: October 06, 2020, 02:56:38 PM »

Crash and burn?

Take everyone down with me?

Take my ball and go home?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #340 on: October 06, 2020, 03:16:49 PM »

He is on steroids.  And out of his mind.  Normal people 25th until he is better, but we are all gas no brakes society now.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #341 on: October 06, 2020, 03:25:03 PM »
Crash and burn?

Take everyone down with me?

Take my ball and go home?

Bingo. If he wins, they agree to something and he’s a hero. If he loses, F everyone wait until Biden gives you something in February.

It’s pretty gross, even for him.  It could be a bluff, but it feels an awful lot like having his troops start to salt the fields

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #342 on: October 06, 2020, 03:31:04 PM »
I think the Senate also plays into this too.  This would have to be bi-partisan to pass there and a significant bloc of R's doesn't want a significant stimulus there for fiscal reasons.  If they jam it through McConnell may not be the next Senate leader or minority leader.  I think in his mind the Judge impacts the election and the stimulus doesn't -- which as we know is the best way to influence Mr T.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #343 on: October 06, 2020, 03:54:10 PM »
I think the Senate also plays into this too.  This would have to be bi-partisan to pass there and a significant bloc of R's doesn't want a significant stimulus there for fiscal reasons.  If they jam it through McConnell may not be the next Senate leader or minority leader.  I think in his mind the Judge impacts the election and the stimulus doesn't -- which as we know is the best way to influence Mr T.

I'd lean the other way, in that I think McConnell and the Senate Republicans very much want/need a deal. There are incumbent Republicans in some tight races (Ernst, Collins, Tillis, Garnder, McSally) and this would be a huge missed opportunity for them to win over moderates and suburban voters.
McConnell doesn't give a flying you-know-what about Trump. In fact, he likely hates him. McConnell cares very much about retaining control of the Senate, and this wouldn't seem to help that cause.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #344 on: October 06, 2020, 04:15:26 PM »

I'd lean the other way, in that I think McConnell and the Senate Republicans very much want/need a deal. There are incumbent Republicans in some tight races (Ernst, Collins, Tillis, Garnder, McSally) and this would be a huge missed opportunity for them to win over moderates and suburban voters.

Agree with this. Regardless of what happens with Trump, lots of Rs are fighting for their seats and McConnell's pulpit. If they don't get a plan through because of Trump's petulance, they may go down with him.

Maybe Trump is bluffing, or maybe he's serious because he believes he's gonna lose. If he is serious and holds this position, he will do considerable damage to the Rs' ability to hold the Senate majority.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #345 on: October 06, 2020, 04:29:57 PM »
McConnell doesn't give a flying you-know-what about Trump. In fact, he likely hates him. McConnell cares very much about retaining control of the Senate, and this wouldn't seem to help that cause.

Nothing I said disagrees with your take except that I think they are betting that focusing on the Judge will get them more votes for those senators. Whether or not this is correct is to be seen.  McConnell tried to pass their own version of the stimulus and it was a disaster--that shows you a bit of how important they think it is (i.e. they can't do it alone).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #346 on: October 06, 2020, 04:44:41 PM »
Nothing I said disagrees with your take except that I think they are betting that focusing on the Judge will get them more votes for those senators. Whether or not this is correct is to be seen.  McConnell tried to pass their own version of the stimulus and it was a disaster--that shows you a bit of how important they think it is (i.e. they can't do it alone).

Getting their judge through only helps them with their base, which they're getting whether or not she's confirmed. Staunch pro-lifers and evangenicals aren't voting Democratic if ACB's nomination gets delayed.
Moderates, on the other hand, will continue to turn on Republicans is they're perceived as killing hopes for a second stimulus deal and further tanking the economy.

Case in point, a poll just released shows that 74 percent of voters  - including 77 percent of independents and 55 percent of Republicans - believe a second stimulus should be prioritized over ACB.
https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/519650-poll-74-percent-of-voters-want-senate-to-take-on-covid-relief

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #347 on: October 06, 2020, 05:14:50 PM »
Edit: sorry that is getting off track. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #348 on: October 06, 2020, 07:56:51 PM »

There is absolutely no reason they couldn't have passed a stimulus bill and seated a new SCOTUS justice. They are not mutually exclusive activities.

I agree with Pak and others that this hurts several GOP senators who hope to keep their jobs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #349 on: October 06, 2020, 09:02:46 PM »
There is absolutely no reason they couldn't have passed a stimulus bill and seated a new SCOTUS justice. They are not mutually exclusive activities.

I agree with Pak and others that this hurts several GOP senators who hope to keep their jobs.

Agreed. The SCOTUS approval process is mostly a matter of scheduling, and specifically making sure they have enough people there for the votes (in committee and the full Senate). The stimulus is mostly Pelosi and Mnuchin negotiating, since the Rs in Congress will almost certainly approve anything Mnuchin and Trump want.

feedback