collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Books to Read During Quarantine  (Read 14230 times)

BM1090

• All American
Books to Read During Quarantine
« on: April 22, 2020, 10:36:30 PM »
Anyone have some good book recommendations? I'm open to all genres, looking for books published in the few years. I'm ordering a book every week or so during quarantine and I figured it may be easier to start a thread than do research every time. Any suggestions welcome and appreciated!

Books I've read so far that I've enjoyed:

The Nickel Boys - Colson Whitehead

The World Doesn't Require You - Rion Amilcar Scott

The Victory Machine  - Ethan Strauss

Good Talk - Mira Jacob

Long Road to Mercy - David Baldacci

A Minute to Midnight - David Baldacci

All The Pieces Matter - David Simon

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Books to Read During Quarantine
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 10:56:26 PM »
Tom Crean: Setting the Tone for a Successful Season by Tom Crean

Death on call

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 01:38:05 PM »
My two favorite books I read in the past year:

Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe. Uses the family of a disappeared woman as the jumping off point to write about the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Won several awards.

They Can't Kill Us Until They Kill Us by Hanif Abdurraqib. He's a music writer that I'm a big fan of. This is a collection of essays that gradually transitions from music to race and other social issues. It's from 2017. Last year he wrote Go Ahead in the Rain about A Tribe Called Quest, which I also recommend if you're at all into hip-hop. But I liked Kill Us more.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 01:54:05 PM »
50 Shades of Gray, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 01:56:07 PM »
One thing this pandemic has showed is that my excuse for not reading more, "because I don't have the time," is a load of crap.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 02:04:07 PM »
My two favorite books I read in the past year:

Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe. Uses the family of a disappeared woman as the jumping off point to write about the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Won several awards.

They Can't Kill Us Until They Kill Us by Hanif Abdurraqib. He's a music writer that I'm a big fan of. This is a collection of essays that gradually transitions from music to race and other social issues. It's from 2017. Last year he wrote Go Ahead in the Rain about A Tribe Called Quest, which I also recommend if you're at all into hip-hop. But I liked Kill Us more.

I'll check these out, thanks.

I just ordered The Topeka School by Ben Lerner and Lot by Bryan Washington. Will probably order two of your suggestions afterwards.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 02:05:34 PM »
One thing this pandemic has showed is that my excuse for not reading more, "because I don't have the time," is a load of crap.

I stopped reading for five years with the same excuse and only started up again because reading for an hour before bed greatly increased my quality of sleep. Now I'm hooked.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 02:29:01 PM »

It's a struggle to keep my reading up during this. My commute was my most consistent time to read -- regular books on CTA, audiobooks if I'm driving or biking. Plus I'm now doing more work at night to make up for work time lost to childcare (Fear not, Scoop time during work remains consistent.)

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 02:31:05 PM »
I'll check these out, thanks.

I just ordered The Topeka School by Ben Lerner and Lot by Bryan Washington. Will probably order two of your suggestions afterwards.

Topeka's on my list. Will have to look into Lot as well.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 03:36:46 PM »
Anyone have some good book recommendations? I'm open to all genres, looking for books published in the few years. I'm ordering a book every week or so during quarantine and I figured it may be easier to start a thread than do research every time. Any suggestions welcome and appreciated!

Books I've read so far that I've enjoyed:

The Nickel Boys - Colson Whitehead

The World Doesn't Require You - Rion Amilcar Scott

The Victory Machine  - Ethan Strauss

Good Talk - Mira Jacob

Long Road to Mercy - David Baldacci

A Minute to Midnight - David Baldacci

All The Pieces Matter - David Simon
Lincoln’s Last Trial by Dan Abrams. About the murder trial that really vaulted Lincoln into the national spotlight and set him on the road to the Presidency.

The Baseball Codes by Jason Turbow. Great book about the “unwritten” rules of baseball (when it’s okay to throw a beanball, players policing the game, etc.)

Both quick and easy reads.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 04:47:16 PM »
“Playing With Fire” by Lawrence O’Donnell about the 1968 election.  I expected a partisan hack job but it was very insightful and a great look at early Roger Ailes

“Heirs of the Founders” by H.W. Brands about Daniel Webster, Henry Clay and John Calhoun

“Ron Wolf and the Green Bay Packers” by Michael Bauman - great look back at what Wolf inherited and the path to Super Bowl 31
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 06:13:08 PM »
I have about 40 or 50 unread books on my shelf, and I finally have an opportunity to start in on it.

Some of my recommendations (and I promise that none of it is Chick Lit):

Anything by Marquette alum Steve Rushin

James Martin, S.J. brings some interesting and humorous perspectives on religion and the modern world.

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. Yes, it's the book that inspired the musical, and it is fascinating. Maybe 5% of it actually made it into the show.

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

For those planning a little post-virus travel: 1000 Places to Visit in the U.S. and Canada Before You Die. 

I am a big fan of Paperback Swap to get books.

Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 06:15:05 PM »
Not recent, but a few I have read/reread lately:

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 06:24:45 PM »

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. Yes, it's the book that inspired the musical, and it is fascinating. Maybe 5% of it actually made it into the show.

I read that and thought it was a great book. Really impressive life that you also go “WTF were you thinking!”

I just finished John Adams by David McCullough (who also spoke at my graduation). That one was a great read. He’s one of the easiest authors to read for history in my opinion.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 06:32:26 PM »
Not recent, but a few I have read/reread lately:

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer

I've read some of the Didion and Krakauer books because my wife was such a big fan.

Into Thin Air and Under the Banner of Heaven were great Krakauer books.

And every sports fan should read  Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman. Pat was not the man that he was made out to be after he gave up the NFL to enlist after 9/11. This book is bases on Pat's journals that he started writing when he was a kid.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 08:20:17 PM »
I have to get back to my Ron Chernow Grant book before the History Channel runs the 3-part mini series.
They keep listing it as coming soon.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 09:58:31 AM »
Paco' Story
Fr. Joe
The Boys in the Boat
The Liberator
Guns at Last Light
I  Heard You Paint Houses

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2020, 10:02:44 AM »
Paco' Story
Fr. Joe
The Boys in the Boat
The Liberator
Guns at Last Light
I  Heard You Paint Houses

Glad to see you're doing OK vogue.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2020, 10:17:49 AM »

Glad to see you're doing OK vogue.

Yes, but, NYC and Newark are a desaster.  NYC Transit (bus drivers) has been decimated.
FDNY and NYPD the same.
V.A. hospitals have been opened to civilans, don't tell anyone.
I live rural, but think urban.
TG for NOOK.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2020, 04:53:45 PM »
Truman by David McCullough

The Age of Eisenhower by William Hitchcock

Lords of the Realm by John Heylar

President Carter by Stuart Eizenstat

Strong Inside by Andrew Maraniss

Little bit of background. I'm a political junkie who will read political books about almost anyone. McCullough's is a classic and Hitchcock's book about Eisenhower is an especially good peek into the 1950s and the Eisenhower Presidency. The Eizenstat book about President Carter is brand new and probably did more to illuminate the good President Carter did as president than anything I've read to date. It's a great read. Full disclosure: I rather admire President Carter and I think his work as President was lost in the fog of two ayatollahs -- Khomeini and Volcker.

Two sports books I really like: The first is Lords of the Realm. It's the best synopsis of baseball's business history ever. It takes one from the beginning of baseball through free agency and the first strikes. It's a great companion to The Game, by John Pessah, who picks up where Heylar left off and runs baseball into the modern era.

The second is Strong Inside. This book is an incredible book about an incredible man, Perry Wallace. Mr. Wallace played for Vanderbilt, which is not extraordinary, except for one thing. Mr. Wallace was African-American. Up until 1967, no African American ever before played basketball in the Southeastern Conference. The part of the book about Mr. Wallace's critical frankness about his time at Vanderbilt, the largely forgotten legacy he left Vandy and then the university's redemption of its legacy with Mr. Wallace was incredible.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2020, 05:45:58 PM »

Little bit of background. I'm a political junkie who will read political books about almost anyone. McCullough's is a classic and Hitchcock's book about Eisenhower is an especially good peek into the 1950s and the Eisenhower Presidency. The Eizenstat book about President Carter is brand new and probably did more to illuminate the good President Carter did as president than anything I've read to date. It's a great read. Full disclosure: I rather admire President Carter and I think his work as President was lost in the fog of two ayatollahs -- Khomeini and Volcker.

Two sports books I really like: The first is Lords of the Realm. It's the best synopsis of baseball's business history ever. It takes one from the beginning of baseball through free agency and the first strikes. It's a great companion to The Game, by John Pessah, who picks up where Heylar left off and runs baseball into the modern era.

The second is Strong Inside. This book is an incredible book about an incredible man, Perry Wallace. Mr. Wallace played for Vanderbilt, which is not extraordinary, except for one thing. Mr. Wallace was African-American. Up until 1967, no African American ever before played basketball in the Southeastern Conference. The part of the book about Mr. Wallace's critical frankness about his time at Vanderbilt, the largely forgotten legacy he left Vandy and then the university's redemption of its legacy with Mr. Wallace was incredible.

Had a chief 30 years ago recommend Truman.  Finally in retirement I read it, amazing information.  I could not put it down.  For me balance is the key;  politics, history, spirituality, sports, mystery, music, science, philosophy, as we say, balance/finding God in all things.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2020, 12:40:15 PM »
Rereading some of my favorites. So far:

The Things They Carried - Tim O’Brien

The four “Frank Bascombe” novels by Richard Ford - The Sportswriter, Independence Day, The Lay of the Land and Let Me Be Frank With You.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2020, 01:15:44 PM »
Been reading and enjoying each of these as I tend to read a few at a time

In the Galway Silence- Ken Bruen   latest in the Jack Taylor series. Pure poetry in staccato sentences
  begin with The Guards to get the flavor and cadence of his wit

A Great and Terrible King- Morris   story of Edward I

The Girl with all the Gifts- Carey    if you tend for the unique and offbeat

House of Lies - Le Carre  another superb spy novel

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 12:31:37 PM »

Lords of the Realm is one of the best sports books ever written
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2020, 01:28:35 PM »
I have about 40 or 50 unread books on my shelf, and I finally have an opportunity to start in on it.

Some of my recommendations (and I promise that none of it is Chick Lit):

Anything by Marquette alum Steve Rushin

James Martin, S.J. brings some interesting and humorous perspectives on religion and the modern world.

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

For those planning a little post-virus travel: 1000 Places to Visit in the U.S. and Canada Before You Die. 

I am a big fan of Paperback Swap to get books.

ALL OF THESE; esp recommend the Rushin memoirs if you are an MU grad from the 80's
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 01:30:57 PM by LloydsLegs »