[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tech Question  (Read 9541 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Tech Question
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2021, 09:30:09 PM »
I think you are misunderstanding. It is not on the user. These are network wide settings that are pushed down to PCs when a person logs on. The user cannot override them.

I think you misunderstand how powerful people can create exceptions, large holes in security, for themselves by internal politicking. Maybe you've never had to manage IT at a large org before?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2021, 11:30:16 PM »
I think you misunderstand how powerful people can create exceptions, large holes in security, for themselves by internal politicking. Maybe you've never had to manage IT at a large org before?

That’s not how security works.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2021, 08:17:14 AM »
That’s not how security works.

So I'm right, you've never worked in IT at a company. Go ahead and keep telling me how security works lol.

Edit: I'm not trying to pick a fight, I genuinely find this pretty funny. If you have questions just ask, I'll try to answer.

I have 5 minutes before my next meeting:

Security policies at companies cover a wide range of topics, but specific to this conversation you're talking about: Where data lives, how data rights are managed, what devices are allowed on the network, and who has rights to auth to one or many devices. You can have the best security policies in the world, up until you hire a new EVP that demands they be allowed to use their personal Macbook Pro for work and it gets approved by the CEO, and you don't have rights to manage that device because... politics. You have to allow them on the network, you don't have rights to set their device security settings. Does their wife and kids have logins to the machine? Do they have it set to an aggressive sleep timer and lock when the screen sleeps?

Even if Pelosi is using a government-owned desktop in her office (not going anywhere, managed by security policies) you have to imagine she has enough juice to say, "Hey make this thing never go to sleep I keep getting locked out and it's preventing me from doing my work." and changes are made for her.

Security is managed by exception at most organizations, sadly.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 08:28:02 AM by Skatastrophy »

feedback