collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running Thread  (Read 40246 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Running Thread
« Reply #375 on: October 11, 2023, 12:42:40 PM »
Running does not take that much talent in terms of skill.

I would go with world-class gymnasts for most impressive athletic performance.

Just so I'm clear, I can think of many things that require more talent and skill than running a marathon. Gymnastics is a great example and very high on the list of demanding the most talent, skill, and sheer physical accomplishment. Other things that require more skill and talent than running a marathon: hitting a curveball; throwing a curveball; hitting a golf ball; a 360-windmill dunk; boxing. Honestly, most things in sports require more "talent in terms of  skill" than running a marathon. But I consider that a completely different subject than what I was talking about as an "athletic feat." Perhaps I should have said "physical feat in sports."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #376 on: October 11, 2023, 12:44:19 PM »
Anybody here run in Hokas? Or tried them and gone back to a more conventional running shoe? I've heard awesome things and am thinking about making the switch, but am a bit worried there is too much support in that sole.  I was thinking about maybe the distance version - the Mach 5 - not because I do tons of distance (most runs are 3-4ish miles) but more because the sole seems a better balance between support but not too squishy?

Been hearing more and more about them. Never worn them myself. I found Brooks Adrenalines work perfectly for my feet and never looked back.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #377 on: October 11, 2023, 12:46:12 PM »
Anybody here run in Hokas? Or tried them and gone back to a more conventional running shoe? I've heard awesome things and am thinking about making the switch, but am a bit worried there is too much support in that sole.  I was thinking about maybe the distance version - the Mach 5 - not because I do tons of distance (most runs are 3-4ish miles) but more because the sole seems a better balance between support but not too squishy?

Tried a pair on before the half marathon (they were the sponsor) didn't care for the way they felt just jogging up and down the parking lot. I did get their recovery sandals which are fantastic after long runs. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #378 on: October 11, 2023, 01:20:14 PM »
Does anyone have strong opinions on the "energy system" style training? I've heard it described as the "Maffetone Method" or 80-20/90-10 Zone 2 vs Zone 5 training.

Essentially you spend the vast majority of your training time below your anaerobic threshold building a really wide metabolic base and then spend small amounts of time driving your vo2 max. Apparently it's how some elite tour de france cyclists train.

So in practice, you'd be training low and slow (surprisingly low and slow, slow enough that you could have a conversation but wouldn't really want to, per Maffetone it's a surprisingly low BPM, or a 'you can go all day' pace) for 1ish hour training sessions regularly, and then once a week do something like 400 m sprinting repeats or as hard as you can possibly go for a 4 minute stretch, then recover for as long as it takes to be able to go that hard again for 4 minutes, repeat 4-6 times.

For me, I can set the treadmill incline to 12% and 3.5 mph and lock my heart rate in pretty solidly in that go all day pace. I then keep the incline and increase the speed to about 4.5 mph and by the end of 4 minutes I'm dying and my heart rate is about as high as I can get it.

Anyway, reading about this method was kinda a revelation because I always considered running in the dumbest bro-iest way imaginable: Want to run far fast? Go run far as fast as you can. This, unsurprisingly, does not seem to be a smart way to train.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #379 on: October 11, 2023, 01:40:06 PM »
Been hearing more and more about them. Never worn them myself. I found Brooks Adrenalines work perfectly for my feet and never looked back.

I've been running in Brooks Adrenalines the last 5 years (whatever the latest release is).  Over the years I've tried Saucony then different Brooks, then Mizuno, before settling on a Brooks Adrenaline.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #380 on: October 11, 2023, 02:31:53 PM »
I actually picked up a pair of Mach 5s 2 days ago. I would describe them as bouncy, bigger overall feel than my Brooks Ghost pair, but verryy light and supportive at the same time. I run about 3 times a week for 3 miles each. I also tried the Hoka Rincons but those were even bouncier.  I need a lil road feel ya know

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #381 on: October 11, 2023, 02:37:42 PM »
I've been using Brooks Hyperion Tempos for the last few years. Very breathable, lightweight. Big fan. I'll probably use them for another year now that they are cheaper and then figure out a newer model that works for me.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #382 on: October 11, 2023, 04:33:29 PM »

I used the Mach 5s for my longer training runs. I found them very comfortable. Wore the Saucony Endorphin Speeds for track/ speed work. For my last 2 marathons, I wore the Hoka Rocket x2 (Joka’s super shoe).
I plan to try on the Hoka Mach X; they seem comparable to the Endorphin Speeds.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #383 on: October 12, 2023, 08:21:46 AM »
Does anyone have strong opinions on the "energy system" style training? I've heard it described as the "Maffetone Method" or 80-20/90-10 Zone 2 vs Zone 5 training.

Essentially you spend the vast majority of your training time below your anaerobic threshold building a really wide metabolic base and then spend small amounts of time driving your vo2 max. Apparently it's how some elite tour de france cyclists train.

So in practice, you'd be training low and slow (surprisingly low and slow, slow enough that you could have a conversation but wouldn't really want to, per Maffetone it's a surprisingly low BPM, or a 'you can go all day' pace) for 1ish hour training sessions regularly, and then once a week do something like 400 m sprinting repeats or as hard as you can possibly go for a 4 minute stretch, then recover for as long as it takes to be able to go that hard again for 4 minutes, repeat 4-6 times.

For me, I can set the treadmill incline to 12% and 3.5 mph and lock my heart rate in pretty solidly in that go all day pace. I then keep the incline and increase the speed to about 4.5 mph and by the end of 4 minutes I'm dying and my heart rate is about as high as I can get it.

Anyway, reading about this method was kinda a revelation because I always considered running in the dumbest bro-iest way imaginable: Want to run far fast? Go run far as fast as you can. This, unsurprisingly, does not seem to be a smart way to train.

I've done something like this and several of my peers have. We all had discovered we really didn't have an aerobic zone. We used the want to run far fast...run as far and as fast as you can method, which led to two zones...rest, and redline.

Training with some version of the Maffetone method created a robust aerobic zone, which slowly got faster over time.

Haven't ran a race though after using that training method, so not sure how much it helped with race time, it did help with fewer injuries, and soreness though.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #384 on: January 08, 2024, 08:44:40 AM »
Anyone else running the Milwaukee marathon this April? Just signed up because I have a life conflict that'll prevent me from training hard for Chicago this fall.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #385 on: January 08, 2024, 04:36:38 PM »
Anyone else running the Milwaukee marathon this April? Just signed up because I have a life conflict that'll prevent me from training hard for Chicago this fall.

I may do the half. I typically run a full in fall, use the last few months of the year to rest physically, then ramp up training in January for a spring half. Then train throughout the summer for a full, which sucks but usually results in better times once the weather cools.

I'm also hesitant to do the Milwaukee Marathon with all the issues they've had in the past. But unless you're trying to qualify for something it doesn't matter too much.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #386 on: January 09, 2024, 05:41:44 PM »

I prefer to stay away from this race with all their issues.  I'm also considering doing a marathon in Kentucky at the end of April.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #387 on: January 28, 2024, 06:47:05 PM »
How is running going for everyone?

It felt good to get outside again this week for some good runs.  I ran 14 today - my first 10+ mile run in almost 6 months (got hurt in September).  I'm signed up for a couple spring marathons so I have a couple goals now which is good - I feel lost without a running goal :)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #388 on: January 28, 2024, 07:28:33 PM »
How is running going for everyone?

It felt good to get outside again this week for some good runs.  I ran 14 today - my first 10+ mile run in almost 6 months (got hurt in September).  I'm signed up for a couple spring marathons so I have a couple goals now which is good - I feel lost without a running goal :)

Running 3-4 times a week, 3-5 miles per at an easy 9:30 per mile pace. No races planned, no goals other than staying somewhat in shape.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #389 on: January 28, 2024, 07:51:19 PM »
5 times per week but only 10-20 minutes at a time. That’s all I can muster on the treadmill. Doing a lot more strength training until the weather gets a bit better.

But it’s that time of the year that I will start looking for a spring half. So that’s exciting.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #390 on: January 28, 2024, 07:57:14 PM »
Running 4x a week, spent 5 weeks establishing a baseline pace of about 8:45 for the Milwaukee marathon. Finished week 1 of 12 today with a 6mi run. Adding weight lifting & PT this go round has kicked my as$.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #391 on: February 20, 2024, 09:58:06 AM »
Does anybody have a running stroller recommendation? Is the Thule actually worth it compared to just a Bob? I'm not going to set a world record but would like something that moves relatively easily.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #392 on: February 20, 2024, 12:21:31 PM »
Running 4x a week, spent 5 weeks establishing a baseline pace of about 8:45 for the Milwaukee marathon. Finished week 1 of 12 today with a 6mi run. Adding weight lifting & PT this go round has kicked my as$.

will this be your first marathon?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #393 on: February 20, 2024, 12:30:05 PM »
Does anybody have a running stroller recommendation? Is the Thule actually worth it compared to just a Bob? I'm not going to set a world record but would like something that moves relatively easily.

Galway,
If you were close enough to Connecticut, I'd give you the choice of the single runner or double runner (2 kids) running stroller.  Actually both if you like.  They've been sitting in my garage for years wondering what to do with them since I can't donate.   

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #394 on: February 20, 2024, 01:06:32 PM »
will this be your first marathon?

Yes sir! Very pumped.

Galway,
If you were close enough to Connecticut, I'd give you the choice of the single runner or double runner (2 kids) running stroller.  Actually both if you like.  They've been sitting in my garage for years wondering what to do with them since I can't donate.   

Given how much they can cost it'd almost be worth it for me to drive out there and get it!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #395 on: February 20, 2024, 10:06:20 PM »
Galway,

Nothing to add about running strollers 😀 but wanted to mention I’m running a marathon in CT next month - in West Haven.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #396 on: February 21, 2024, 05:20:44 AM »
Nothing to add about running strollers 😀 but wanted to mention I’m running a marathon in CT next month - in West Haven.

I live in the next town over and my high school was located in West Haven and I never knew that had a marathon. I googled and it must be the Savin Rock marathon.  I looked at the course map and West Haven is flat by the shoreline and looks like you will have to go up a hill when it'll be level until going downhill by the shoreline.

I've done several 5k's on the West Haven boardwalk that go 1.5 miles down and 1.5 miles back and a strong wind will be in your face and propelling you on the way back.
Have fun. Should be OK weather in late March.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #397 on: February 21, 2024, 07:57:49 AM »
I live in the next town over and my high school was located in West Haven and I never knew that had a marathon. I googled and it must be the Savin Rock marathon.  I looked at the course map and West Haven is flat by the shoreline and looks like you will have to go up a hill when it'll be level until going downhill by the shoreline.

I've done several 5k's on the West Haven boardwalk that go 1.5 miles down and 1.5 miles back and a strong wind will be in your face and propelling you on the way back.
Have fun. Should be OK weather in late March.

Yes that’s the race I’m doing.  It sounded like it would be a bit hilly.  They offer an early start for slower runners like me that I plan to take advantage of.  A friend who has only a few states left to get to 50 signed up for it and I decided to do it also.  I’ve done mostly Midwest states - this will only be the second marathon I fly for.  I’ve done 12 states so far.

I’m also signed up for a marathon in Louisville in late April.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #398 on: February 21, 2024, 09:46:40 AM »
Yes that’s the race I’m doing.  It sounded like it would be a bit hilly.  They offer an early start for slower runners like me that I plan to take advantage of.  A friend who has only a few states left to get to 50 signed up for it and I decided to do it also.  I’ve done mostly Midwest states - this will only be the second marathon I fly for.  I’ve done 12 states so far.

Good luck! I thought I was crazy for planning two in one year, back to back is wild! Do you give yourself any time to recover after the first?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #399 on: February 21, 2024, 10:02:21 AM »

New England is very hilly for running in general and not the slow rolling kind. 

Not that you probably want to eat after the marathon, but there is very good old school New England seafood restaurant right on the water called Stowe's.  They also carry Foxon Park beverages (soda) which means you can get a birch beer (soda) with your meal.

feedback